Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Greatest MMO fail

Comments

• HurvartHurvart Member Posts: 565

Originally posted by BlackWatch

Biggest MMO fail?  World of Warcraft: Cataclysm. 

Most people will chalk up WoW's population decline to all of the other games that have released over the last 2 years, but you can't deny that there was seemingly a 'mass' exodus shortly after Cata's launch.

If any other game on the market suffered the kinds of subscription losses that WoW has suffered, they would be out of business.

Looking at WoW's constant population increase from launch, it really was somewhat of a shock to see the game and company take a nice sized shot on the chin. 

If I were going to try to list other games that were 'epic' failures.. sure, Age of Conan, SWG, Matrix Online, RIFT, Warhammer Online, etc.,.. None of these games amounted to the WoW killer's they were hyped up to be.

So, really, Cataclysm was the single most epic failure of any MMO in my opinion.

Yes. I really liked WoW vanilla. But today I think the game is terrible.

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

Originally posted by Fluxii

Originally posted by ForTheCity

Originally posted by Brenelael

The single worst failure of all time would still have to go to Star Wars Galaxies. This failed so hard after the NGE that people are still hating on it 7 years later. No other game can claim that. Not even close. They took a moderately successful game at the time and changed it right down to it's core mechanics trying to chase after the WoW golden ring and it failed hard. Not only did they alienate a substantially large portion of their existing fan base but they also scared away any potential new subscribers because they had disgruntled gamers on every forum making them out to be the devil right up to this very day. This has to be the biggest failure in MMO history just because they took an established game with a dedicated fan base and through it all down the toilet trying to cash in on the WoW craze.

Bren

Was it really that bad? I thought people loved it and they didn't want the game to be shut down?

Yea, a game that was finally forced to shut down (because ot TOR) after running for nearly a decade was horible; they must have had to pay people to play...  *boggle*  Poster obviously has a lot of game hate issues, lol.

Ummm... no. I actually thought it was mediocre at best when I played it in beta. When I went back a full year after the NGE I thought the game had improved but it was still lacking something.... other players. Whenever I played the servers were ghost towns compared to other games. I was never one of the "Distruntled SWG Vets" as I never really played the game all that much to begin with but I got to deal with them every day on every MMO forum I've visited since 2005. The fact of the matter is that it was shut down and it was failing hard long before SWTOR came along and sealed its fate. I do however sympathize with the SWG Vets to some degree. What SOE and Lucas Arts did to them was pretty dispicable. They took a game that people had years invested in and totally changed it down to the core mechanics. SWG was barely surviving on life support long before SWTOR came along to put the final nail in the coffin.

Edit: In fact if you go back into my post history you'll find that I'm one of the main posters on this forum that used to tell the SWG Vets to "STFU, I'm sick of hearing about it". Some of the first posts I made here back in 2006 were on that very subject. Times have changed though and after a few years of reflection I can see now why they are so upset over it. Soe and Lucas Arts really screwed them over hard. I may have not been a big fan of pre-NGE SWG but I can still see how upsetting changing your game that drastically could be on those that were big fans.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Ok, seriously guys. It really is Earthrise. I know I posted this already, but I feel the need to explain why.

For those that don't know earthrise was a full loot open world PvP sandbox with a scifi setting.

Let me list some ofthe more interesting bugs that I can remember.

There was a bug where all the mob in the entire world would disappear. They were invisible but could still kill you. Since you had to aim to kill them they would kill you, and you would drop all of your gear. This was very common.

Random death. Sometimes you would be walking and just die for no reason. Drop all of your gear.

Teleporter deaths. You used teleporters to travel in the game. You would frequently die on the other side and drop all of your gear. In this case the gear was unrecoverable (lost in the teleporter?).

Terrain exploits. Players could delete terrain assets from the game files. They could then go stand where a boulder was and shoot people who couldn't see through the boulder.

Un-compiled game code/scripts. All of the scripting files were plain text files that could be opened and edited at will. A common exploit was to edit quest rewards to reward insane amounts of BP (xp) and money. Other exploits existed with this as well. Everything was client side.

Rocket launchers. Seriously the most OP thing I have eve seen in a game. Ever. Not to mention there were exploits associated with doing double damage with the already OP weapon. Actually, there was a complete and total lack of balance of any kind.

Zone crashes. If too many people (15-20) got together in a zone it would often bring down the server for that zone. Locking everyone in the zone out of the game. My guild frequently caused this to happen while trying to do a group activity.

Extreme performance issues. I played on a high end PC and frequently got 10 Fps in the main city.

Grind. It was the only thig to do to advance your character Grind mobs endlessly.

Rampant duping. Self explanatory. Crafting mats, money, quest items, you name it they duped it.

There were many many other issues with the game. This is just a small sample. It may have lasted longer than a game like APB, but it fell harder than any other game in my opinion.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

For any of you with the balls to put Rift in the same list as WAR or FF14 you need these:

Watching you guys cry for features that are in Rift in WoW, TOR, and soon be GW2 is so sweet you honestly have no idea. Most of you are still jealous that Trion is still releasing content every 43 days or so. Keep on hating.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Hummm...

If i have to pick a few i would say

Motor City Online: The brave but batshit crazy detailed racing MMO by EA that pretty much only true petrolheads and educated mechanics could understand. Also the driving was not all that... Did not really get out of beta.

Champions Online: The "new" City of Heroes that were going to de-throne the old dog, player verdict... they did nothing right. A literally last minute change to the game did nothing to make people happy.

Auto Assault: In many ways this was a brilliant little game, and today it would have made a very good facebook game. But in -06 it was just to weird and out there. It did die pretty quick

Tabula Rasa/Warhammer Online: Both games went through some serious changes leading up to their release. TR went through IIRC three different concepts during it's development and Warhammer online almost died before it even saw the light of day as the original studio developing it could not figure out how to make a budget and ran out of money long long before they har a product to present... The project was then given to mythic... And development was cut way way short. A shitty game was released.

This have been a good conversation

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

A lot of the replies to this thread seem to be, "This game is pretty popular, but I don't like it, so I'm going to call it the biggest failure ever."  I say that is completely wrong.

A lot of the replies are more sensible than that.  Alganon is worthy of a mention.   So is Dark and Light.  Vanguard and FFXIV were catastropically awful at launch, and some would argue that they never were fixed and never will be, but those at least have some fans.

But for the greatest MMORPG failure of all time, you can't beat Stargate Worlds.  They licensed a well-known IP.  They sponsored a race car to advertise the game.  And then the game ended up being vaporware, but that wasn't the half of it.  The business model was pure Ponzi scheme.  Buy now to get in at the top and you'll get rich off of people who buy later.  Oh yeah, and you'll get to play a game, too.  Eventually.  Sometime.  Maybe.  If we ever finish it.  Do a Google search for "MMOGULS" for the details.

• CamthylionCamthylion Member UncommonPosts: 220

Fails?

1. Age of Conan(Funcom? Entire doomfest, expected; TSO to fail)

2. Vanguard (I couldnt run it, graphical lag, and server lag, horrible setup)

3.  Everquest 2 (I had high hopes and was pumped, it was my first real let down. Sony ruined this series)

4. LOTRO (Good god this game had tons of upside(being middle earth) and fans at one point had tons of hope... Turbine couldn't  being things to light)

Big names, big budget, big promise! All 4 massive let downs, and made many gamers sad. A lot were lost in terms of having high hopes... preparing for these titles, entire guilds fell apart in matter of days, or short weeks.

Not Fails, but some think so?... sorry.

SWTOR = solid game if you enjoy questing, and story, if you enjoy bioware games you will enjoy this game.  Plus the PVP huttball imo is fun.

Warhammer = Good game, problem?  compared to DAOC and worse way to turn a fanbase against you? Say; not making DAOC2 instead we're going with Warhammer.  Pff Who wants that?  Instance jumping on fail band wagon.  Now DAOC currently is more successfull than Warhammer. (we want DAOC2)

WoW = Do I really need to defend this damn game?  Anyone who has it on a fail list is def a re-re and shouldn't speak any longer.

There are other games, but I really could give 2 craps about them, such as Rift, Guild Wars etc. those games iMO  are on the bottom of the MMO ladder.  GW2 may be good, but its got a sour taste in my mouth being cookie cutter, and I dunno rather I will play it.  The only MMO that could be savior for the MMO genre iMO is Archeage.

• CamthylionCamthylion Member UncommonPosts: 220

Originally posted by Puremallace

For any of you with the balls to put Rift in the same list as WAR or FF14 you need these:

Watching you guys cry for features that are in Rift in WoW, TOR, and soon be GW2 is so sweet you honestly have no idea. Most of you are still jealous that Trion is still releasing content every 43 days or so. Keep on hating.

I think Rift is one of the worse MMOs I have ever played.  Its a complete cookie cutter game... PLEASE! PLEASE! DEVS don't put anything Rift is offering into a big budget MMO... learn from the mistakes of others.  Sorry stranger, but I tried Rift and forced myself to play it, and it was maybe if its possible?  The biggest WoW knock off I've played in years.

Edit* You would seriously HAVE to pay to me to play Rift, its that bad for me.

• OberanMiMOberanMiM Member Posts: 236

Originally posted by Camthylion

Originally posted by Puremallace

I think Rift is one of the worse MMOs I have ever played.  Its a complete cookie cutter game... PLEASE! PLEASE! DEVS don't put anything Rift is offering into a big budget MMO... learn from the mistakes of others.  Sorry stranger, but I tried Rift and forced myself to play it, and it was maybe if its possible?  The biggest WoW knock off I've played in years.

Edit* You would seriously HAVE to pay to me to play Rift, its that bad for me.

IMHO Its not that Rift failed to become what the devs intended. Its that they failed to become what they had promised as interpreted by a great deal of players I know. They had promoted the game using the phrase "Your not in Azeroth anymore", but the great irony is that for those looking for something different and less casual, the dev team went the exact opposite direction and launch and made it even more casual.

To me and many others the game became more casual than World of Warcraft was when we stopped playing the game (because it became too casual). IE the game became more like what we disliked about WoW than WoW was (when we quit it)

• PsyMike3dPsyMike3d Member UncommonPosts: 388

Darkfall for sure... the best mmo idea, developed by the wrong company :(

• KhayotixKhayotix Member UncommonPosts: 231

SWTOR because it spent 200+ Million dollars to prove that only WoW could be WoW and failed miserably at being an MMO.

• KalmarthKalmarth Member Posts: 443

SWG after the CU, so many people bailed the day it went live you could see the differance, but thats what happens when you have a game people love and change it with out there consent, its kind of like buying a house and then someone swapping it for a trailer,  your going to get mad that you didnt get what you paid for.

This is actually used in some busniess schools now as model of what NOT to do, strange but true.

Apart from that games come and go

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

Originally posted by gameguy369

Originally posted by Thorbrand

I would say FFXIV was the biggest fail.

I would put SWTOR second but that is because I don't feel it wasn't a MMO, by definition it isn't.

I would say Rift was a bigger fail than AoC because I spent more time playing AoC and enjoying myself than I did in Rift. Beta tested and launched both games. Being bug free doesn't make you a success. Content and Gameplay are what matter most.

How can Rift even be in this discussion? Rift is one of the great SUCCESS stories of MMO's.

I was thinking the same thing...

• headsc4nheadsc4n Member Posts: 6

To be fair when FFXIV launched it was absolutely beyond a doubt the worse mmo released in the last 5yrs, however since its launch it has made an impressive recovery and it isnt dead, not in the slightest. They fired the original XIV team and brought in a new one, since then the game has gone through numerous updates improving the game in every way.

Since the new team we have seen content updates, bug fixes, the introduction of jobs and job specific gear, not to mention airships and mounts.

The game is doing so well infact the subcription has been re-enabled and the community still holds strong. 4 of the 9 servers and maxed out and i never have a problem finding a group for anything.

That being said, i dont feel FFXIV was the biggest fail because it still exsists and with 2.0 around the corner with a whole new game engine, graphics and UI its only goin to get better.

I think the biggest fail would have to go to All Points Bulletin, that game shut down like 1-2? months after its released and actually gave people who pre-ordered it a refund lol. I know its F2P now but thats besides the point realy.

Good times.

I would have to say FFIV. It was a disaster at launch. But, it seems they are now doing a really good job fixing it.

For personal reasons I am going to say Mortal Online. This game was my GW2. I followed it faithfully since the very beginning and it ended up being a game that included the things I hate most in a game...FFA PvP and 1st person combat.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Originally posted by bigsmiff

I would put SWTOR second but that is because I don't feel it wasn't a MMO, by definition it isn't.

I would say Rift was a bigger fail than AoC because I spent more time playing AoC and enjoying myself than I did in Rift. Beta tested and launched both games. Being bug free doesn't make you a success. Content and Gameplay are what matter most.

How can Rift even be in this discussion? Rift is one of the great SUCCESS stories of MMO's.

Because it is subjective? Rift was a big failure to many people, myself included.

The soul system was terrible, making pretty much all builds feel very generic. Also the world was pretty boring and bland.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Originally posted by evilastro

Originally posted by bigsmiff

Because it is subjective? Rift was a big failure to many people, myself included.

The soul system was terrible, making pretty much all builds feel very generic. Also the world was pretty boring and bland.

I am currently enjoying Rift. I think overall it's more of a success than a failure, but this poster has a valid point.

The Soul System should have been so much more than it is. When I leveled a Mage, I had a blast. I leveled as a Necro Lock...Think Warlock from WoW. and I lkied tha tstyle. But in end game, it has no place. If you want to raid, you have one or 2 builds for DPS. All those Souls, all those options become pointless in the face of cookie cutter specs.

• ArkiniaArkinia Member Posts: 251

Originally posted by firefly2003

World of Warcraft-The MMO with training wheels or the MMO for droolers, this MMORPG single handely took the MMORPG behind a shed and raped it,once a  genre of virtual worlds and turned them into an instanced lobby games, made accessible (dumbed down-ezmode) and started a neverending nightmare for years till this very day of studios and greedy publishers churning out clone after clone hoping to lure customers into a van and have their way with them to find out that their game is just like WoW , why did we need another training wheels MMO when you have one that's more established? There is only so many gamers out there don't you think its time to start making unique MMOs again?

Seriously I think for all the clones out there including WoW , when are people going to get tired of this same treadmill: Level, Raid, PVP. Don't get started on crafting cause that's a laughable joke now. Thousands of great ideas and lots of great features from older MMOs and all that devs can come up with today in modern MMOs is kill, rinse,repeat?   What happend to the social side of MMOs, the minigames, the communities? The non-combat activites? Non-Combat roles?

Age Of Conan- Hyped to no end, a once mighty hype machine, hyped and brought to you by the same people that hyped, Warhammer, TOR, and now GW2, this crowd follows all the new shinies, but in the end this game failed to live up to expectations and let a lot of people down, but don't forget the good times like the time after launch a GM was caught cybering a player. At least that was worth some chuckles.

Warhammer-From the people that brought you Dark Age of Camelot (an actually good MMO) how could this go so wrong, a pvp centric MMO which once again failed to live up to expectations, which resulted in failure, flash to today certain former Mythic Devs now work on TOR , which once again didn't know how to deliver even a decent PVP experience (thats for the next entry below) this game hangs on life support, but that didn't stop the hype machine before it was released and that same bandwagon of fanbois have faded away and jumped onto the next big game.

Star Wars The Old Republic- Once again history is repeating itself once again just with a different studio (Bioware), but with an old pedophile uncle (Lucasarts) and a new gay uncle (EA) behind the scenes to ruin another Star Wars experience in the name of chasing WoW numbers.

Once again the hype machine has tempted fate once again with people's minds. Where do you even begin with this train wreck, with the recent pull of ranked warzones a few hours before the 1.2 deployment , the powers that be are desperately trying to save this sinking ship, from a huge budget that went into VO's and cutscenes so players can just wear their spacebar out by skipping that "Fourth Pillar" something that's only good one playthru the rest of the game and MMO part is lacking or just isn't there.

Made for the ultra casual there really not that much there after leveling your first toon to justify paying a monthly sub to this game, also as many are waiting for that next quarltery report on how the 1.7 million players are still playing the game when the complaints on the offical forums are still there about low populations, but that's ok somehow they will manage a way to make it seem that there is a 100% rentention rate when that really isn't the case, hell their even giving away a free 30days game time if that doesn't ring alarms I don't what will.

Bioware really doesn't know how to make a MMO worth playing and I hope its the last time they make one cause in the end their 4th Pillar of Story didn't cut it to a growing number of people out there.

Vanguard:Saga Of Heroes- A good MMO on paper, horribly implmented, rushed to release , left to die like a hooker in a alley, neglected till this day, buggy, the game still has a lot of promise and worth a play , but not worth now inviesting time into when it could be next on SOE's chopping block. I do actually like this game but I think with the right people developing and with some TLC this could of been a real hit with people. Just another case of bad managment and Brad Mcquaid and of the guys at SOE (go figure)

APB- Enough has been said about this game that was shut down in what 2 months? By far the biggest failure in MMO history.

Alagnon- I remember the days of certain posters were trying to push this game on these very forums to other people, pushing how the game was so unique and so different and was for the causal player that didn't like to grind and do things that take time to do , so after was all said and done this became the epitome of what a WoW clone was, and a special guest suprise from the legendary flame war master Derek Smart, his antics for a small bit made me go to the Alagnon forums with popcorn to see if he popped off to anyone just to give me a giggle or 2. Ever since then to this game I havent heard a peep about this game making any kind of ripples, guess people didnt' really want another WoW clone did they?

Earthrise-Was in Beta for this game, another game that had great potential was squandered away, extremely unstable, buggy, devoid of content, and was recently shut down due to lack of interest.

Star Wars Galaxies-By far my favorite MMO of all time, and in opinion makes TOR look like the Special Olympics of MMO's, I have criticisms of my own favortie MMO, ahead of its times, a unique MMO even up till its closure in the sea of mediocrity and trash it is one of the 2 MMO's that held my subscription for years on end/

Highly mismanaged by SOE and its pedophile uncle (Lucasarts) ruined twice by changing the game as everyone knows the story. Launch was a bugged filled mess, connection loss, crashed servers, there was lots to complain about especially in the first 2 yrs it was devoid of content, of course the mystery in the early days of unlocking that force sensitive slot was quite fun, the crafting kept you busy, ruinning a business, and socializing witha great community was what made the game,but it lacked things to do quests, more fun things as some players of that type began to express their concerns people started to trickle out. That content didn't really come till post NGE 2 yrs after the NGE hit the servers, the game became flush with things to do. The game went from a sandbox to a pure hybrid , what a lot of people didnt give SWG a fair shake after the NGE. I was upset as well, making Jedi available to everyone , removing professions pissed me off to no end. 

I stuck it out post-NGE, the game did get better, I think if it wasn't violated by SOE/LA I think the game wouldn't been shut down and still around today with people playing it regularly instead of playing its retarded cousin (TOR)

I've read this post three times for sheer enjoyment, one of the best, EVER!

• SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135

Originally posted by OberanMiM

Originally posted by Spiider

Bggest fail is SONY: Anything they touch turns to rubble.

I beleive that crown belongs to EA and all its subsidiaries now..

Close second, I admit. On mmo but also on single player games.

The problem is that games are not made by gamers but by bankers. Cash cows are preffered to intelligent, interessting, content rich games.

We live in a world where angry birds is nr1 game. Learn to live with it.

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

• HannibpHannibp Member Posts: 26

Greatest MMO fails that I can remember, "Unleash the Fury", and this: http://kotaku.com/5859963/an-entire-mmo-was-accidentally-erased-from-the-internet

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877

For me it's DDO.  They sold that product as D&D when the truth was entirely the opposite.  A big company gets bested by a fan based community of NWN/NWN2 when it comes to providing a D&D experiance says something.

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373

I would say Guild wars 2, oh wait its not out yet.  What about Secret Word or Archeage, oh wait they aren't out either.  The biggest MMO failure is us.  We hype games up so much that they can't possibly live up to our expectations.  When they come out we crucify them to the point where we alienate potential other players who may actually like them.  Lets face it, we create many of our own problems. That's not to say that there isn't merit in what others say about bad mmo's andor missing features, but everything is all so subjective to each person.  Rift is a great example.  Some people think its the worst and some think people are crazy for even mentioning it.   I have leanred something very valuable from visiting this site.  I need to play the games myself and not listen to everyone on their soapbox.  And before you crucify me, I will openly admit, I am part of the problem.

• KalmarthKalmarth Member Posts: 443

Originally posted by OberanMiM

Originally posted by Spiider

Bggest fail is SONY: Anything they touch turns to rubble.

I beleive that crown belongs to EA and all its subsidiaries now..

Cant agree with the EA thing, sony are just idiots but EA has done some of the best games ever, KoToR, Sims, Mass Effect, Battlefield, Need for Speed and SSX, there sports games are good, with more good stuff coming, like Simcity rerelease, Medal of honor, C&C Generals 2 and Secret World.

Tor may not be everyone brew but one game does not make a company bad.

Sony on the other hand have failed and failed there player

Originally posted by sumdumguy1

I have learned something very valuable from visiting this site.  I need to play the games myself and not listen to everyone on their soapbox.

In my opinion truer words were never spoken here. I don't know how many people I have talked to mmo gamers that have said "I won't play ________because I read on mmorpg.com that it is garbage. My response to them is always "Try it for yourself. I am sure they have a free trial." 

I used to listen to movie critics too until I realized that their opinions are just that...their opinions. People's tastes are different, and what I like, I am sure many won't...and vice versa.

I love MMORPG. com, but a lot of people that post here are poison to the mmo industry. I am bad to forget sometimes myself, but every post should start with "In my opinion."

• Mari2kMari2k Member UncommonPosts: 367

1. Darkfail

2. Autoassault

3. FF 14