Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tell me please, why is Eve that good?

ColdhatezColdhatez Member Posts: 15

I've heard alot of talk about eve, that is's a good game etc.

Well i played the trail, i kinda liked it but it has a hard learning curve

I want to purchase the game, but how long does it take me to understand this game (average)

Thanks!

Comments

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766

I played it for a good two months and didn't really understand most of it. It was a very fun game, but in all honesty if you aren't in a big corp then you won't learn or know what to do, even if you have an idea of what you want to do in mind. So if you buy it, get into a corp as fast as you can, and they will help you learn the ropes a lot quicker than you will on your own. Wiki's are also your best friend.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Depends on the person I guess. Back when I played I had a good experience with the ingame tutorials. It is a lot of information to process if you play through them all right away. But it is doable. I especially liked the exploration with probes.

But for PVP and shipoutfitting I also recommend to join an org. Mass pvp can be great fun in EVE.

My reason to stop playing was that after a while I only still enjoyed PVP. PVE is quite stale imo and I'm also not a fan of the passive way you progress in skills. I like the concept just not the way training works.

• Pin_CushionPin_Cushion Member UncommonPosts: 38

Forgive the wall of text, but I got kinda carried away.

EVE is a fantasic idea for a game.  The execution is really remarkable.  It is endlessly complex and ever changing.  Unfortunately, the level of complexity is so great that it requires a monumental amount of study and social activity to really get it.  By the time you really "get it" you're already incredibly involved with the setting and social world.  You've probably joined a corp and made some buddies by then.  At this point you're really in too deep for it to matter that EVE is, most of the time, not that much fun.  It's hard to really quit because then you'd have to acknowledge that you had wasted an awful lot of time learning about something that was completely not worth the effort.

To sum up why EVE is great:

Open world PvP = Freedom to gank.  If you can think of a ship build or fleet build to gank someone in the heart of Empire space (aka Carebear Land) before the cops kill you then you're welcome to it.  Nobody will prevent it.  It is accepted as normal by both the players and the devs that PvP can happen anywhere at any time.  This leads to a lot of "Baiting" tactics where people try to look like an easy kill so they can get more fights.  Getting into a fight is actually harder than winning one.  It can take hours to find a decent brawl, but some people find that sort of hunt very fun.  If you like this style of play then it's a huge +1 for EVE.

Open marketplace = Freedom to trade.  Everything in EVE is crafted by players out of materials that are gathered by players.  The market is infused into the essence of EVE.  In many ways, the market is EVE.  An example.  Recently a large and wealthy corp (GoonSwarm) started a vast PvP campaign to become larger and wealthier.  Their targets?  Miners.  Ice Miners, to be specific.  They had loads of ice in their home systems, but it wasn't all that valuable because it was also available in Empire Space.  The solution?  First, they bought loads of the stuff.  Then, they ganked ice miners for a few months until the supply of ice (which is necessary to make space station fuel) ran low.  Market prices spiked.  They trickled their supply onto the market at the elevated price and made a king's ransom.  Anyone that caught on to their scheme early enough made out well too, but that's just the life of being a trader.  This kind of stuff happens all the time in EVE.

Open warfare = Freedom to zerg.  Wars are almost always happening.  If you're interested in that sort of thing then you can join any Non-security corp that is active in your time zone and fleet up with them.  Most of those guys, unless they specifically say otherwise, are accustomed to training newbies.  They may not be nice about it, but they still do it.  The battles go from epic confrontations involving thousands of ships to nailbiting dogfights between two frigates.  Wars can be flashes that last a few hours to drawn out campaigns that span months.

To sum up why EVE sucks:

-Grind.  Ships cost money.  Making money takes market acumen or straight up grinding.  If you're not that good at working the market, or just don't feel like it, just get used to hours of grinding for cash.

-PvE is dull.  Incursions and Wormholes have mitigated this a bit, but even then the PvE in EVE is incredibly dull.  Since you'll be spending a lot of time doing it this is a big -1.

-The game is gorgeous!  Too bad you'll rarely see it.  If you look at CCP's trailers, they're full of stunning visuals of explosions and lasers.  If you look at player made videos they'll look like 5 Excel spreadsheets fighting to the death.  This is because most players zoom their display all the way out so they can take in as much of the battlefield as possible and minimize video lag.  This is tactically helpful, but visually bland.

-People kinda suck.  EVE is billed as the only MMO that is entirely player driven.  That's sounds really awesome, and in many ways it is.  Most of the time, however, people are really boring and flakey.  They start stuff and don't finish.  They make big plans and burn out.  They troll incessantly.  They're, you know, people.  In most MMOs you'll have some solo PvP to retreat to when it starts to get to you.

-Soloing in PvP is insanely OMFG Hard!  Like, the hardest thing I've ever tried to do.  Some people are really good at it, but even they admit that they die way more than they win.

-It can take forever to do anything.  Unless you're with a well oiled corp, everything is going to take forever to do.  If you can find or bring a bunch of people that can organize stuff on Twitter and be ready to roll before you even log on then you're in the EVE fun zone.  Otherwise, get used to waiting an hour or two for everyone else to get their stuff together before you even start your roams. Get used to scanning for hours for the perfect wormhole or site.  Get used to milking an asteroid for hours.  Get used to farming the same missions for hours.  Get used to roaming around looking for PvP for hours.  And get used to logging off disappointed.  For some people, the moments where it all just clicks together make up for the many times where nothing happens.  For others, it doesn't.

-Multiple accounts are nearly mandatory.  This has gotten a lot worse with the intro of PLEX and the Power of Two sales from CCP.  Nearly everyone has an alt account.  They use them to scout.  They use them to haul stuff around.  They use them to bait.  They use them as buff bots.  If you don't have multiple accounts then you're simply at a disadvantage to a surprising amount of the player base.

So, there you have it.  That's this former EVE player's honest opinion of the game in a nutshell.  If you don't mind the bad stuff, and really dig the good stuff, then it's totally worth the $15 a month.  It's really an excellent product.  It's just not for everybody, and CCP is ok with that.  They have no intention of making space WoW to try to make everybody happy.

If you're still interested, do a search for a guy named Kil2 on Youtube.  His videos probably give the most frank assessment of what EVE is like for the small-scale PVPer.  Short version: He dies a lot, wins a few, and has a blast doing it.

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347

Eve is a numbers game. Any new player will play to check two numbers and then take advantage.

There is little room for new players and pvp , unless its small unaffilated pvp, and even then you'll get ganked by overwelming odds and die, and it will suck.

You cannot go into manufactering really, the giants will have you beat.

Eve is a wonderful game, but mobility in it is awful because they made skill learning so long to give people a reason to continue to pay.

So your left with pve combat which is easily the weakest system they have in the game. To have any fun with it you need friends who know whats up, you still might be ganked, and its still not really that good. 

Eve is a wonderful game , but somewhere around the mid point they traded the experince of the newcomer for the $ of the old guard.

Its beauty is still there but it hard for anyone new to find it.

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

It's that good because of the player interaction.  No other game comes close.

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

Originally posted by Pin_Cushion

EVE is a fantasic idea for a game.  The execution is really remarkable.  It is endlessly complex and ever changing.  Unfortunately, the level of complexity is so great that it requires a monumental amount of study and social activity to really get it.  By the time you really "get it" you're already incredibly involved with the setting and social world.  You've probably joined a corp and made some buddies by then.  At this point you're really in too deep for it to matter that EVE is, most of the time, not that much fun.  It's hard to really quit because then you'd have to acknowledge that you had wasted an awful lot of time learning about something that was completely not worth the effort.

Open world PvP = Freedom to gank.  If you can think of a ship build or fleet build to gank someone in the heart of Empire space (aka Carebear Land) before the cops kill you then you're welcome to it.  Nobody will prevent it.  It is accepted as normal by both the players and the devs that PvP can happen anywhere at any time.  This leads to a lot of "Baiting" tactics where people try to look like an easy kill so they can get more fights.  Getting into a fight is actually harder than winning one.  It can take hours to find a decent brawl, but some people find that sort of hunt very fun.  If you like this style of play then it's a huge +1 for EVE.

Open marketplace = Freedom to trade.  Everything in EVE is crafted by players out of materials that are gathered by players.  The market is infused into the essence of EVE.  In many ways, the market is EVE.  An example.  Recently a large and wealthy corp (GoonSwarm) started a vast PvP campaign to become larger and wealthier.  Their targets?  Miners.  Ice Miners, to be specific.  They had loads of ice in their home systems, but it wasn't all that valuable because it was also available in Empire Space.  The solution?  First, they bought loads of the stuff.  Then, they ganked ice miners for a few months until the supply of ice (which is necessary to make space station fuel) ran low.  Market prices spiked.  They trickled their supply onto the market at the elevated price and made a king's ransom.  Anyone that caught on to their scheme early enough made out well too, but that's just the life of being a trader.  This kind of stuff happens all the time in EVE.

Open warfare = Freedom to zerg.  Wars are almost always happening.  If you're interested in that sort of thing then you can join any Non-security corp that is active in your time zone and fleet up with them.  Most of those guys, unless they specifically say otherwise, are accustomed to training newbies.  They may not be nice about it, but they still do it.  The battles go from epic confrontations involving thousands of ships to nailbiting dogfights between two frigates.  Wars can be flashes that last a few hours to drawn out campaigns that span months.

To sum up why EVE sucks:

-Grind.  Ships cost money.  Making money takes market acumen or straight up grinding.  If you're not that good at working the market, or just don't feel like it, just get used to hours of grinding for cash.

-PvE is dull.  Incursions and Wormholes have mitigated this a bit, but even then the PvE in EVE is incredibly dull.  Since you'll be spending a lot of time doing it this is a big -1.

-The game is gorgeous!  Too bad you'll rarely see it.  If you look at CCP's trailers, they're full of stunning visuals of explosions and lasers.  If you look at player made videos they'll look like 5 Excel spreadsheets fighting to the death.  This is because most players zoom their display all the way out so they can take in as much of the battlefield as possible and minimize video lag.  This is tactically helpful, but visually bland.

-People kinda suck.  EVE is billed as the only MMO that is entirely player driven.  That's sounds really awesome, and in many ways it is.  Most of the time, however, people are really boring and flakey.  They start stuff and don't finish.  They make big plans and burn out.  They troll incessantly.  They're, you know, people.  In most MMOs you'll have some solo PvP to retreat to when it starts to get to you.

-Soloing in PvP is insanely OMFG Hard!  Like, the hardest thing I've ever tried to do.  Some people are really good at it, but even they admit that they die way more than they win.

-It can take forever to do anything.  Unless you're with a well oiled corp, everything is going to take forever to do.  If you can find or bring a bunch of people that can organize stuff on Twitter and be ready to roll before you even log on then you're in the EVE fun zone.  Otherwise, get used to waiting an hour or two for everyone else to get their stuff together before you even start your roams. Get used to scanning for hours for the perfect wormhole or site.  Get used to milking an asteroid for hours.  Get used to farming the same missions for hours.  Get used to roaming around looking for PvP for hours.  And get used to logging off disappointed.  For some people, the moments where it all just clicks together make up for the many times where nothing happens.  For others, it doesn't.

-Multiple accounts are nearly mandatory.  This has gotten a lot worse with the intro of PLEX and the Power of Two sales from CCP.  Nearly everyone has an alt account.  They use them to scout.  They use them to haul stuff around.  They use them to bait.  They use them as buff bots.  If you don't have multiple accounts then you're simply at a disadvantage to a surprising amount of the player base.

So, there you have it.  That's this former EVE player's honest opinion of the game in a nutshell.  If you don't mind the bad stuff, and really dig the good stuff, then it's totally worth the $15 a month.  It's really an excellent product.  It's just not for everybody, and CCP is ok with that.  They have no intention of making space WoW to try to make everybody happy.

If you're still interested, do a search for a guy named Kil2 on Youtube.  His videos probably give the most frank assessment of what EVE is like for the small-scale PVPer.  Short version: He dies a lot, wins a few, and has a blast doing it.

I entirely agree.

I'm now waiting for DUST to come out. Then I should have access to instant PvP all the time (that dosen't take an hour to set up). My 2 Eve accounts should support this because they are geared towards planetary interaction.

However, if DUST isn't enjoyable, I'll probably stop playing Eve.

The problem is that most other MMORPGs are either too WoW-like or have some other problem with them.

• troublmakertroublmaker Member Posts: 337

Even is a game unlike most MMOs.  This is because Eve has a community.  If you are playing it as a solo experience you are screwed.  You really need to apply to a fleet early on and basically get carried a little bit to enjoy the game.  That's not a hit on the community, the community is great and will probably warmly embrace you.  If you try to buy a new ship by yourself though expect to spend hours upon hours upon days upon months of grinding.

• ElminzterElminzter Member UncommonPosts: 283

it's sandbox and if u are new u dont stand a chance pvping against old timers even if u are in a corporation, sort of like in real life, how are u able to win against a veteran boxer, when u hv only just started boxing.

it will be good once u hv investing enough time and $$$ leveling your skills, say 1 year onwards.......

just my 2 cents.

• SophusVirSophusVir Member Posts: 44

Just so you know, people in eve are not really all that helpful. Unless you want helped out of your effort, ships and money. Most of them are in fact scum of the universe.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by SophusVir

Just so you know, people in eve are not really all that helpful. Unless you want helped out of your effort, ships and money. Most of them are in fact scum of the universe.

Both are true, but the scams are avoidable if you have common sense and if you are going to have issues with people attacking your ship then EvE is probably not a good choice of game, the people I found were always willing to give helpful advice.
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Proof? Source? Backup?

• SophusVirSophusVir Member Posts: 44

Years of personal experience, it was personal opinion like most things on the net. So far most of the people I have run across in eve are scumbags. They spend their days roaming space looking to ruin your day.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731

Years of personal experience, it was personal opinion like most things on the net. So far most of the people I have run across in eve are scumbags. They spend their days roaming space looking to ruin your day.

This sounds like the ramblings of someone who expects WoW-like behaviour (themepark mmo) in EVE-Online (darwinistic sandbox mmo), speaking from over half a decade of experience: People in EVE come in all types, there are scumbags running around, you can bet on it, just as in real life and just like in real life when something's too good to be true it usually is now all that being said the type of bonds you form with people you do connect with in EVE are strong, it will take a very long time to make these bonds as trust is a precious commodity in EVE but once made you can damn well expect them to cross the cyberspace barrier into the real world without much (if any) difficulty.

EVE online itself isn't that extraordinary, it is the community and the player driven side of things which sets it apart and you like a game where after the initial grind (which can take 1-2 months if you know what you're doing, a -beep- lot longer if you don't) you can choose your path (indy,pvper,pve,trader,etc,etc) and if down the line you wanna switch to something else it is easy to (you need to cross train skills but speaking as someone who can fly most tech 3 cruisers, tier 3 battleships and a good portion of end-level industrial ships you can do it relatively easily to get your feet wet and if you want more you can go nuts) after which you can choose which player-driven route you go, is it lawless 0.0 space where the scumbags usually rule and tears are shed over systems and expensive ships lost, is it enigmatic wormhole space where predictability is never the name of the game and where one wormhole could open up your system to a whole lot of pain -shakes angry fist remember when the Narwhals last paid him a visit-, is it low sec, the veritable wild west of EVE (what with inferno things look to be picking up in it again with people having to resort to smaller, faster throwaway ships in pvp situations) or the PVE-centric (but with savy PVP action) high-sec areas where exploration, industry and "questing" are the name of the game.

• Pin_CushionPin_Cushion Member UncommonPosts: 38

It took me a while to figure out that those people aren't really scum.  They're, in essence, roleplaying scum.  A large part of EVE involves baiting people into doing stupid stuff so you can fight them or take their money.  It's a core part of the game.  All of the people that I had one on one interactions with were really nice and very helpful.  However, if I was competing with them in any way (even if I was unaware at the time) then they instantly became smack-talking jerks.  They have to.  If they didn't find a way to make me mad then I'd probably realise I'd lose any engagement and just run away.

I think this is a large part of what's good about the game.  Where else can you completely become the mugger, con-artist, or back stabbing turn-coat to such an immersive degree?  Everyone has a part of themselves that secretly wants to do bad things.  What's wrong with having a place where you can role play those urges out and really explore them?  It's why I think it's so important that EVE is openly lawless and does next to nothing to inhibit this behavior.  Everyone who logs on should know before they start that EVE is a place to role play being a bad person.  That doesn't mean the people that do this ARE bad people.

So, yes, if a newbie wanders into the wrong part of the galaxy there will be "bad people" hanging around waiting to shoot him and take his stuff.  Yes, if a gullible person trusts a stranger in a sketchy deal they're probably going to lose even more stuff.  Yes, the community gets a kick out of newbies falling for the same cons and baits over and over again.  However, the community also gets that these things must remain IN-GAME!  The Chairman of the Council of Stellar Management was booted out of office and temp banned largely because of community outcry over some careless comments where he, at EVE Fanfest, encouraged players to grief an allegedly depressed/suicidal player's toon.  That's crossing the line.  That's not roleplaying anymore.

In his defense, the chairman was incredibly drunk and apologized profusely the next day.  But it does point out a distinction that simply isn't there in other MMOs.  You can pretend to be a bad person in EVE and do bad things.  The behavior is encouraged because it makes the EVE universe an edgier, more dangerous place.  It also reveals that PvP in EVE is more about getting other people to make bad decisions than it is about you making good decisions.

• calranthecalranthe Member UncommonPosts: 359

Originally posted by Coldhatez

I want to purchase the game, but how long does it take me to understand this game (average)

Thanks!

Eve is unlike any other game out there, it is the most diverse, challenging game, I have played for 7 years and still get suprised, still learning, there is no "win" no ship can not be countered, no tactic can not be overturned, true emergent gameplay.

Scams, blobs, death, destruction and loss..

But if you succeed if you can test your mettle in those fires, make a name for yourself, make a difference for good or bad without a GM holding your hands, without a quest chain and shiny marker then you did something amazing.

I am currently in a fleet of 247 people on our way to a fight, after down time all hell will break loose and it will still get the adrenalin running, I have been in all kinds of alliances and corps both hisec and lowsec.

To have a game you have played in for 7 years and still find wonder and challenge, where stupidity is punished with actual loss and anything goes in game.

No mmo I have tried has ever kept my interest and I do not pvp in any other game because there is no consequence.

http://eve-kill.net/?a=pilot_detail&plt_id=12156

Is me.

• DarSepkiDarSepki Member Posts: 51

Originally posted by calranthe

Thanks!

Eve is unlike any other game out there, it is the most diverse, challenging game, I have played for 7 years and still get suprised, still learning, there is no "win" no ship can not be countered, no tactic can not be overturned, true emergent gameplay.

Scams, blobs, death, destruction and loss..

But if you succeed if you can test your mettle in those fires, make a name for yourself, make a difference for good or bad without a GM holding your hands, without a quest chain and shiny marker then you did something amazing.

I am currently in a fleet of 247 people on our way to a fight, after down time all hell will break loose and it will still get the adrenalin running, I have been in all kinds of alliances and corps both hisec and lowsec.

To have a game you have played in for 7 years and still find wonder and challenge, where stupidity is punished with actual loss and anything goes in game.

No mmo I have tried has ever kept my interest and I do not pvp in any other game because there is no consequence.

http://eve-kill.net/?a=pilot_detail&plt_id=12156

Is me.

Is that alpha fleet? When I tried joining it was full so I went in drake.

Either way, I will be fighting on your side!

Yep Alpha Fleet, we are going to have so much fun today.

• DarSepkiDarSepki Member Posts: 51

Originally posted by calranthe

Yep Alpha Fleet, we are going to have so much fun today.

Server is starting up! Here we go!!!

• ColdhatezColdhatez Member Posts: 15

Originally posted by Pin_Cushion

To sum up why EVE sucks:

Thanks for your post, it's really good to read.

I've decided to buy eve, it'll be hard to learn but im going to put alot of time in it.

Thanks for your all your replays guys! I hope to be fighting with you someday

• KroxMalonKroxMalon Member UncommonPosts: 608

Dont try to play Eve hoping for a few month wonder. Eve is longativity, its progresion. Most of all to find the true Eve, it is! a challenge.

And that challenge pays off.

Originally posted by coxyroxy

Dont try to play Eve hoping for a few month wonder. Eve is longativity, its progresion. Most of all to find the true Eve, it is! a challenge.

And that challenge pays off.

Agreed, you will learn painful lessons, you will loose but each loss teaches you something, 7 years into this game and I can still remember the first time I lost a ship to another player, many lessons learnt many to come.

Here is the first mantra for eve I was taught.

Never undock in a ship you can not only afford to loose but accept loosing.

PM me any questions you have.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

So far most of the people I have run across on mmorpg.com are trolls and stupids. They spend their days trolling forum boards and spread lies and hate.

There fore you are...

See...

You are not presenting an opinion, you make generalized statement based on your baseless, invalid assumption.

Saying: "I have met only scumbags in EVE.", and saying "Most EVE players are scumbags." are 2 different things.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

Thanks for your post, it's really good to read.

I've decided to buy eve, it'll be hard to learn but im going to put alot of time in it.

Thanks for your all your replays guys! I hope to be fighting with you someday

I always recommend that new players check out Eve-University.

Think of it as a player-driven tutorial school and it is exactly that.

Having an EVE-Uni history is a plus not a minus to almost all corp/alliance (at least those that matter anyway).

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• GreenzorGreenzor Member Posts: 165

Originally posted by Gdemami

Saying: "I have met only scumbags in EVE.", and saying "Most EVE players are scumbags." are 2 different things.

And both of them are flat lies.

• KiljaedenasKiljaedenas Member Posts: 468

One of the best things I've found about Eve is the logistical complexities that you can get involved in, a real, in-depth challenge in problem solving. And none of them are scripted; those situations were (and are) purely created by human player needs, and we have to figure out for ourselves how to solve the issues. Two particular favorites of mine:

-I was in Nullsec, which is an area of space that corporations and alliances can fight over to own. While I was offline one night the system that I was in was conquered by an enemy corporation. I was still safely docked in the outpost there, but I did not have access to any of the facilities, such as the market or ship fitting systems, and the ship that I was in at the time would not survive an escape run to safe territory. I waited a few days, and suddenly the system had been re-conquered by a friendly corporation so I was able to access the ship fitting systems. There were still several enemy ships in the system though, so I fit my ship (a Dominix) as best I could for an escape. I knew that once I undocked I wouldn't be able to dock back up, so it was going to be an all-or-nothing shot. I undocked, aligned to a stargate, got a warp scrambler on me, but was still able to warp because of the equipment refit I had done (probably surprised the hell out of the guy who scrammed me), got to and through the stargate, but then one of their members also came through and dropped a much stronger warp disruption bubble, and help did not arrive in time. So ultimately I died, but I prepared for that situation as best I could with what I had available and damn was it a rush!

-In Wormhole space you can set up a player-owned-station (POS), and you have to fuel it with materials that come from multiple sources which include automated mines on several planet types. The system we were in did not have one of the planet types we needed, so we would have to fly in the missing fuel type. The entrance/exit to a system in Wormhole space is, as you may have guessed, a Wormhole, and this moves around all the time. In the wormhole system it moves position and you have to scan it down; in real space it switches the system where it exits into, and for ours that was regularly in risky low security space. I was the only one at the time in our little group that was able to fly a cloaked cargo hauler, so I had to do very risky fuel runs through pirate-infested low security space (and all those pirates are human players, which I had to out-wit or they would fry me). It was one of the most unusual and interesting tasks I have ever done in a game.

I don't know any game that has situations like those two I mentioned above, and there have been several others. That kind of completly unscripted logistical complexity simply does not exist anywhere else. THAT is why Eve Online is so awe-inspiring for me; if you like logistical challenges, hopefully it will be for you too.

Where's the any key?