Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Face it, WoW is finished

Comments

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

I don't really care for World of Warcraft.  However, I think this thread is dumb.

• GPrestigeGPrestige Member UncommonPosts: 523

The funny thing is, forumgoers who complain about this stuff are such a miniscule minority. From what I see at work, in university, and just about anywhere else... anyone playing an MMO is playing wow and still loving it.

People can CLAIM that the game is done, but it is no where even close to that. It is still the top, and will be for a loooooooong time. I'm still enjoying it after playing for years, because it is the only game that can keep me entertained long enough to not want to quit after a month. That definitely says something.

-Computer specs no one cares about: check.

-MMOs played no one cares about: check.

-Xfire stats no one cares about: check.

-Signature no one cares about: check.

------------------------------------------------------------
    -Narcissism: check.

• xr00t3dxxr00t3dx Member Posts: 275

Face it, WoW is finished = I'm not happy with the way they are doing things so I'll quit, rage and flame the game.

Has nothing to do with the real meaning of Finished. 

• troublmakertroublmaker Member Posts: 337

In 1999 Research in Motion produced The Blackberry.  The Blackberry was the only phone of its kind.  Unlike "dumb phones" this "smart phone" was marketed as the business man's phone by allowing him to access email, voice mail, calender, powerpoint, Excel, and Word all in one phone.

Blackberry was a one of a kind and dominated the market.  On launch nearly every business person bought a blackberry phone and it was presumed that blackberry would be a niche market in which only blackberry would exist.

Research in Motion was so convinced of their dominance they created cell phone towers globally so that they could release their phones and also market great reception.

Eight years later April invented the iPhone which was like a Blackberry on crack.  Unlike Blackberry this phone was marketed to normal people and would have open source applications and games so that 3rd party developers could create games and applications for the phone.  This feature alone made iPhone the standard as third party developers promoted the iPhone through their iPhone applications.

Today the Blackberry looks like it is finally on the way out.  Business people have finally made the switch from Blackberry to iPhone and now Android.

The reason why World of Warcraft is not doomed yet is because there is not an online game yet that has really 1-2 punched out WoW.  It doesn't have to be an MMO it just has to be a game.  WoW is a one of a kind at the moment with no real competition.  

Yeah there were other smartphones between Blackberry and iPhone but no phone between these had the innovation, popular branding, and expert craftmanship as the iPhone.

The same is true of WoW.  Blizzard will have to make a large number of moves to try and not innovate the game and will also have to go against compeittion that are innovating.  The honest truth though is that Blizzard has been innovating frantically and the game today looks nothing at all like the original World of Warcraft.

• GazenthiaGazenthia Member Posts: 1,186

Originally posted by Panther2103

Originally posted by Gazenthia

Originally posted by Meltdown

The funny thing about doomsayers is that eventually, at some point, they will all be correct. Talk about hedging your bets.

There isn't really any way that you can spin consistent subscriber losses in the hundreds of thousands. You can't spin massive net loss on one of the biggest content patches during the holiday season. The game IS dying and once we get into the next quarter, and those APs conclude, the losses will go through the roof again.

I don't notice a significant loss in people on any of the servers I play on. I actually have more friends playing again now, than a few months ago. The game isn't DYING, you don't understand the term dying do you? What constitutes a game dying? Having as many subs as any other mmorpg? Because in that case wow is the only mmo that isn't dead already.

Your opinion is irrelevant, and the implication of your post is wrong.

World of Warcraft has been losing hundreds of thousands of players each quarter since the release of Cataclysm, appx 1,800,000 total net loss subscribers so far. That constitutes dying.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/12/13/

• GazenthiaGazenthia Member Posts: 1,186

Originally posted by GPrestige

The funny thing is, forumgoers who complain about this stuff are such a miniscule minority. From what I see at work, in university, and just about anywhere else... anyone playing an MMO is playing wow and still loving it.

People can CLAIM that the game is done, but it is no where even close to that. It is still the top, and will be for a loooooooong time. I'm still enjoying it after playing for years, because it is the only game that can keep me entertained long enough to not want to quit after a month. That definitely says something.

1) More people have played WoW than are currently playing it, so the miniscule minority you are referring to aren't former players. Former players consitute the (vast) majority of the demographic in discussion.

2) It is close to running it's course. The massive net loss in subscriptions actually started with the release of an expansion and never concluded, despite massive changes and content patches.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/12/13/

• nichocage-yjnichocage-yj Member UncommonPosts: 19

relax, you guys,  just confirmed,  blizd's COO, paul sams claimed, there will be more expansions for world of warcraft, i guess it is too soon to talk about its death, but i couldnt find the stupid link as evidence, what a shame!

Occupy SW. Occupy Goldshire. Go!

• NasherUKNasherUK Member UncommonPosts: 480

They will make it "free to play" sometime soon.  Otherwise they will continue to loose players to other games.

WOW just isn't worth a subscription any more when you have things like Guild wars 2 and Planetside 2 out this year which only need a 1 off fee.

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

By now, you should realize that WoW doesn't need to turn a profit anymore. Even if only a handful of people stil played, Blizz would keep a server up for them. The game has paid for itself thousands of times over.

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

Seems like this is the first time this has ever come up. I bet this thread will resolve it.

Oh wait.....

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/20156/World-of-Warcrafts-trouble-in-the-long-run.html

My favorite line from the above post:

"Competetion looks so hard now adays! Dark and Light, Middle-Earth Online, Everquest 2 and Matrix Online to name a few! I mean, do you think that WoW will be able to stand in the long run!"

Still #1. Still the one whose population can't be captured. Still the one whose population no one wants to be around but needs in their game to not be considered 'fail'.

• TheMinnTheMinn Member Posts: 397

Originally posted by BribarianI

[mod edit]

Ya havent we all heard this response.

Big deal, blah blah, game is fine, so they're handing out level 80s, mounts, gold, pets, and mounts.  It wont get any worse right.

The whole point of an rpg is to level and progress a character, what is it now exactly?

But you'll keep making excuses right up until the end, i know a diehard fanboi when i see one or at least someone who doesnt understand the very basics of how an rpg works.

why do you care what game(s) people like? Let people play what they want. I prefer Pepsi but I don't hate on Coke drinkers.

• jommybgoodjommybgood Member UncommonPosts: 39

Yes... WoW is about to die guys. Lol You people are crazy for even thinking that. They had over 1 million people sign up for the annual pass, thats more than alot of other MMOs sub base period. Not to mention all the other subs wow has. Yes the game has seen its peak, but WoW is still going very strong. Idiots...

• swifty4000swifty4000 Member Posts: 4

The OP is right - WoW is finished. Not suprising when all accounts on WoW servers are insecure... 

Google how many people with inactive accounts have their accounts and details stolen by hackers - this of course being a server-side hack. Interesting that no other mmorpgs seem to suffer this problem.

If you play WoW it seems you are opening your computer, credit card and personal details to hackers. 

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

Originally posted by swifty4000

The OP is right - WoW is finished. Not suprising when all accounts on WoW servers are insecure... 

Google how many people with inactive accounts have their accounts and details stolen by hackers - this of course being a server-side hack. Interesting that no other mmorpgs seem to suffer this problem.

If you play WoW it seems you are opening your computer, credit card and personal details to hackers. 

Add me to your list of stolen accounts !

Came back to WoW after about a year.  Had to have Blizzard un-hack my account.  After 20 days I un-subed, next morning I could not even log into my regular normal e-mail, tried logging in to WoW no-can-do.....They got into all my personal computer stuff.  I had to call Blizzard and told them to erase my name from their data base.

Never the less, I spent hours changing all my life's usernames and passwards.

To spite all this.  If WoW was half the game it used to be with Vanilla WoW, I would go the extra mile and secure my account, fix my personal stuff and continue playing, but the game is crap now with it's insta dungeons.

Good job Blizzard you suck !!

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868

While I do agree that WoW is finished in terms of not gaining back the momentum they once had and by the continued loss of subs, the OP is just not right in the way he is looking at what Blizzard is doing. Alot of the recent ideas to bring back subs have been pretty big steps towards bringing back old subs. They don't care about bringing in new blood or making level progression matter more. They want to bring back the subs they have lost. While I don't think anything they do at this point will do that for most people, they are going in the right direction from a business perspective. 

I do think that even with the small burst of subs they may recieve when MoP hits that WoW will continue to decline overall though.

I would also like to point out that level progression has been something Blizzard has been trying to make easier practically since launch. WoW is a VERY top heavy game and the major focus of the content produced for it is end game based. It has been for years. If you think the level progression is anything short of an itemization reset you are being very naive. One of the reasons WoW is losing subs is because even with all the end game focus it ultimately requires you to be a hardcore pvper or hardcore raider to enjoy the game for extended periods of time.

• ShaunJ1380ShaunJ1380 Member Posts: 77

Originally posted by kadepsyson

I don't really care for World of Warcraft.  However, I think this thread is dumb.

Best post in the thread.

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

I know the population will remain high and a bunch of naives will be jumping around with their storebought pets and mounts and now classes, but it's over.

Need gold?  Just buy a boe pet and sell it

Dont feel like leveling?  Buy yourself scroll of resurrection

What's left?  They've milked almost all of it down to nothing, but go forth and level in MoP, within a few months after the expansion the scroll of resurrection will be bumped up and some clown will just lol past you and you timespent leveling like a fool.

There is no such thing as progression in WoW, because it is simply handed out when blizzard needs a few bucks.

So if someone is a WoW subscriber they are automatically naive? How about realizing that people might like and enjoy WoW for what it is whether they have storebought anything or not? Why do people persist on getting on a high horse and bashing others who are fans of a particular game? It makes you look arrogant and discredits the rest of what you have to say. Even if I don't like a particular game or movie, I do not feel the need to insult the people who do...

As someone else said earlier in the thread, you do not have to engage in any of the things Blizzard has been offering if you don't want to. They are entirely optional.

I disagree with the OP completely. Seeing the longetivity of Blizzard games, I reckon WoW will be around for a long time. I mean D1 and SC1 are still going, so how could WoW not keep going?

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• garretthgarretth Member UncommonPosts: 343

Originally posted by MurlockDance

I know the population will remain high and a bunch of naives will be jumping around with their storebought pets and mounts and now classes, but it's over.

What's left?  They've milked almost all of it down to nothing, but go forth and level in MoP, within a few months after the expansion the scroll of resurrection will be bumped up and some clown will just lol past you and you timespent leveling like a fool.

There is no such thing as progression in WoW, because it is simply handed out when blizzard needs a few bucks.

So if someone is a WoW subscriber they are automatically naive? How about realizing that people might like and enjoy WoW for what it is whether they have storebought anything or not? Why do people persist on getting on a high horse and bashing others who are fans of a particular game? It makes you look arrogant and discredits the rest of what you have to say. Even if I don't like a particular game or movie, I do not feel the need to insult the people who do...

As someone else said earlier in the thread, you do not have to engage in any of the things Blizzard has been offering if you don't want to. They are entirely optional.

I disagree with the OP completely. Seeing the longetivity of Blizzard games, I reckon WoW will be around for a long time. I mean D1 and SC1 are still going, so how could WoW not keep going?

WOW is the best of its genre.   It's a great game.  

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

Man Im 30 years old.  WoW will still be going when Im 40.  Of that I have little doubt. 

Finished?  My real enjoyment of WoW was finished years ago.  But the game?  Nothing is going to finish it but a nuclear explosion.  Or some sort of apocolypse....or cataclysm rather.  image

• NasherUKNasherUK Member UncommonPosts: 480

Blizzard made 100s of staff redundant recently.  Including a friend of mine who worked at their Paris office for years.  So yes.. the game is dying.  If they are getting rid of that many people it means their income from subscriptions has massively reduced.

It's a shame that so many people loose a job they thought was secure, because management screwed up and ruined the product.  As usually happens in these cases, I bet the management who did the ****ing in WOW up didn't loose their jobs.  They probably got moved to a new project to mess that up as well :/

• GemmaGemma Member UncommonPosts: 337

Ummm. How is it dying if they still have 4+ mil subs? Obviously its older and people will move on, but how is that AT ALL dying when compared with other games' figures? 

I made up "4+ mil". They probably have more than that. 

• DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974

MMORPG.com wouldnt be the same without one of these wow dying threads every week :)

• SnakexSnakex Member UncommonPosts: 317

Face it,

your making up reasons to act like you wont go back to WoW,

or that WoW is a terrible game and its time is Over.

Sadly, even though i dont want it, WoW is Stable, alive, and reliable.

• Deron_BarakDeron_Barak Member Posts: 1,136

You mean "done" being a good game? True enough in my eyes if it's become P2W with a sub.  By the time Titan comes out WoW will probably still have 2 million subscribers here in the states.  That would still be more than any other sub MMO over here.

Just not worth my time anymore.

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865

"WoW is over" according to the OP, while I agree with some of the points, it would be far more fair to say Wow has finally hit the downwards slide. Many MMO's face this, for some it may come just a couple months after release, others, such as EVE still haven't got there.

Wow, however isn't over. Lets face it. It hasn't even got to the point of F2P, and when that happends it will be a pretty big deal.