Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Hands On with the Novare Coast

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

During PAX East, our team managed to get their hands on the new Star Wars: The Old Republic warzone, Novare Coast. After playing through Novare Coast, they've got some impressions to share so keep reading!

Being the obsessive person I am, I immediately noticed that there were only the default keybindings, so I took the time to bind the Naga buttons, as well as ALT + numbers and letters to each specific skill. This isn't a rant, so much as me letting my OCD get the best of me in the middle of a video game convention.

Read more of Hillary Nicole's and Bill Murphy's Star Wars: The Old Republic - Hands On with the Novare Coast.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• wewterwewter Member Posts: 19

" I don’t have a level 50 yet even."

It's not hard to stay "excited" about SWTOR if you've never reached endgame.  

Your average MMO player, however, will drop it like the over-funded sw-ip-destroying it actually is.  Ugh how they thought this thing would be successful is beyond me.

Past [MMO] Games: Lineage 2 (quit c5), Aion, RIFT, SWTOR
    Current[MMO] Game(s): TERA
    Future [MMO] Game(s): ArcheAge, Blade/Soul

• WebzeroWebzero Member UncommonPosts: 33

Yea not worth playing anymore,  have 3 lvl 50's,  End game was disappointing,  reminded me when i waisted my money on AoC when it was released.  :(  cancelled sub unfortunetly.

• McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

Pokket: "Having gotten into the convention earlier than most convention goers (due to being media),"

This is relevant how? It's not. It only lends to the impression that she is just a token female reviewer with little to actually contribute. 

Pockett: "... there are plenty of people who still are unfamiliar with the content (whether old or new)."

I seriously find that hard to believe. It's far more likely BW was selective who played so as to try to sucker in more gamers.

Pockett: "I will say that my OCD with changing the keybinds probably helped me to dominate in 1v1s against the enemy team."

How is this to be taken serious when she admits playing against new gamers?

Pockett: " I assured her it was as simple as pressing F, then rotating through buttons 1-4."

Wait...Pockett admits to Amana that SWTOR is as easy as facerolling, yet she claims SWTOR is competitive? Wow...

Bill: "I’m not as hardcore as Pokket."

There is nothing hardcore in a game that allows for casual gamers to max the level cap in a week.

Bill: "It’ll be nice to shake things up from the current three, and especially so when cross-server queuing goes in to do away with the all Sith Empire (all the time) matches of Huttball."

Cross-server cueing won't cure pvp, because SWTOR's pvp is a joke to begin with. BW should have created the pvp right in the first place. Simply buffing all players to the same level is not competitive pvp and does not allow for equal use of skills because some players depending on their level, have more skills to use than lower-level gamers.

Bill: "Who knew being bad would be so popular (we all may have)?"

Thank you Mister Obvious because it is plain as day that BW purposely put more effort into make the darkside more appealing to gamers.

Bill: "If you’ve been hankering for a new way to kill Jedi, check it out!"

Seriously? Hankering? This review is a joke and it is sad to see this site become so bias over the past couple years. SWTOR was rushed to launch due to pressure from the publisher and does not deserve half of the press it gets. Gamers need to stop paying for mediocrity and make their money count for something. 

• kcypher2000kcypher2000 Member Posts: 116

Originally posted by wewter

Your average MMO player, however, will drop it like the over-funded sw-ip-destroying it actually is.  Ugh how they thought this thing would be successful is beyond me.

SWTOR got a lot of things right and if you think otherwise than you have not seen a lot of launch mmos. 

Btw for a SW killing game it does a lot more justice to Star Wars than George Lucas did with the new films.  A smuggler actually feels like a smuggler, a bounty hunter feels like a bounty hunter and not just another generic class.  I doubt any of you whiners will ever find a game you enjoy.

Oh and Web, if you got 3 level 50s then you just need a real hobby cause you got you are playing through the game way too fast to whine about it.  Not to mention it has plenty of end game content, more than WoW did at the same time and not to mention its not like people are still running all the raids in WoW for the challenge. 

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

I'm surprised anyone was going to bother to comment on this thread.

It's not worth wasting our energy writing - BioWare show no signs of listening to anyone (although they probably are listening to the overpaid PR people, who they spent most of the $100 million on).

Originally posted by kcypher2000

Because it is a solid game that offers everything mmo gamers want?  Stop hating just because its popular, it just shows what a moron you are.  SWTOR got a lot of things right and if you think otherwise than you have not seen a lot of launch mmos. 

Btw for a SW killing game it does a lot more justice to Star Wars than George Lucas did with the new films.  A smuggler actually feels like a smuggler, a bounty hunter feels like a bounty hunter and not just another generic class.  I doubt any of you whiners will ever find a game you enjoy.

Oh and Web, if you got 3 level 50s then you just need a real hobby cause you got you are playing through the game way too fast to whine about it.  Not to mention it has plenty of end game content, more than WoW did at the same time and not to mention its not like people are still running all the raids in WoW for the challenge. 

This is SWTOR in a nutshell: You get 4 weak NPCs, then 1 weak + 1 strong. Repeat this 10 times, then have 1 stronger one at the end. Repeat this for every mission.

The roleplay in SWTOR is insignificant compared to the poor gameplay.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Pace2002Pace2002 Member Posts: 16

It really does boggle my mind, what people see in this game...

Ive been a MMO player since Ultima, I've been a Star Wars fan since I was 5....

But this game was such an unenlightened awkward MMO when I played it....it was so apparent that the creators of it had no experience, nor any desire to create something of quality. 

But I guess to each its own. 

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

"as simple as pressing F, then rotating through buttons 1-4." - Pockett

HARDCORE!!!!!!!!!!!

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• waits1972waits1972 Member Posts: 46

Wow, people have very strong feelings about this game.  I can feel the passion.  It's totally creepy.  I like the game myself.  However, I only say so because I know that you can't inflict violence upon me through a pc moniter.  For Vader's sake people, it's just a game!

• McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

Originally posted by sipu

Cznrei, I'm wondering who you are to tell players what they should play or what not? Next time take only yourself into consederation, mister.

You might want to learn the difference between ordering someone to do something and making a suggestion based on my own personal observations.

Next time, you might want to try not to generalize someone's reply to a post not even aimed directly at you and worry more about what the topic is actually about. 

(Again, that was a suggestion in case you missed it. ...that and spellcheck is your friend.) 

Originally posted by waits1972

Wow, people have very strong feelings about this game.  I can feel the passion.  It's totally creepy.  I like the game myself.  However, I only say so because I know that you can't inflict violence upon me through a pc moniter.  For Vader's sake people, it's just a game!

"Onlu a game"? And we are "creepy"?

Well, I paid over £130 for the Collector's Edition + God knows how much for 6 months subscription.

This was on the advice of a friend who played the beta of SWTOR.

It's not creepy. It's the annoyance that people were taken in by a 'beta' that wasn't a beta. The 'scam' was to demonstrate the best the game had to offer in the first few levels.

How the Hell was my friend to realise the repetitious gameplay in two days?

What makes it worse is that BioWare don't listen to players' advice.

If you want an example of how things should be, look at CCP and Eve Online / DUST. This company has acheived much more with far less.

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

Originally posted by Mors.Magne

Originally posted by waits1972

"Onlu a game"? And we are "creepy"?

Well, I paid over £130 for the Collector's Edition + God knows how much for 6 months subscription.

This was on the advice of a friend who played the beta of SWTOR.

It's not creepy. It's the annoyance that people were taken in by a 'beta' that wasn't a beta. The 'scam' was to demonstrate the best the game had to offer in the first few levels.

How the Hell was my friend to realise the repetitious gameplay in two days?

What makes it worse is that BioWare don't listen to players' advice.

If you want an example of how things should be, look at CCP and Eve Online / DUST. This company has acheived much more with far less.

First of all SWTOR is a good game, sorry you did not like it, but who in their right mind would pay such money without trying it first?  Well at least you learned an important lesson.  Bioware is a story company did you reallly think they were going to build a stuffy same ole, same ole mmo, of course not!

• IIIcurrierIIIcurrier Member Posts: 88

Eddie G it's actually the opposite of what your last sentence stated, it's the same old, same old with added laziness on top.

Every background npc is usually a repeated clone of a stock template.

Aka in a bar they take 3 standard npc looks, then duplicate then in different poses.

Black boss, have all henchmen and guards be exact replicates of the same black person.

Lazy.

• TwwIXTwwIX Member Posts: 203

The only thing BioWare is concered about is pleasing the PvP whiners. I had a chance to test the game multiple times starting from December 2010. I really had high hopes for this game because it was a really enjoyable leveling experience during those tests. The combat was fun and fast paced. Instead of improving the social, grouping aspects and overall PvE experience of the game, they have done nothing but nerf every fucking thing they deem overpowered. From various classes to things like Slicing. The leveling experience is not fun at all. It's just another,  slow paced, cookie cutter grind fest now. The economy is beyond fucking inflated and everything is a giant money sink. From training to crafting to the shitty Legacy System they recently introduced. It does nothing else but encourage gold farming. PvP is shit. Even the whiners will tell you that. Why do you think they keep bitching about it? They'll never be able to please to those fucking morons. They've ruined various other games with their constant whinning and this game is no exception. This is not a PvP game but BioWare is too fucking thick to realize that. You don't extend the longevity of your game by introducing more grind to it. You do it with more fucking content!  I expect this game to go free to play by the end of the year if not sooner.

This development cycle reminds me of Champions Online. Once the game came out, nerfs, nerfs and more fucking nerfs. If you can't separate the PvP stats from PvE, don't even fucking attempt to make an MMO in the first place.

Originally posted by Pace2002

It really does boggle my mind, what people see in this game...

Ive been a MMO player since Ultima, I've been a Star Wars fan since I was 5....

But this game was such an unenlightened awkward MMO when I played it....it was so apparent that the creators of it had no experience, nor any desire to create something of quality. 

But I guess to each its own. 

Its apparent that you haven't played a lot of mmos.  Quality?  Its more polished and complete than most mmos that have been out for years. 

Originally posted by Mors.Magne

Originally posted by kcypher2000

Because it is a solid game that offers everything mmo gamers want?  Stop hating just because its popular, it just shows what a moron you are.  SWTOR got a lot of things right and if you think otherwise than you have not seen a lot of launch mmos. 

This is SWTOR in a nutshell: You get 4 weak NPCs, then 1 weak + 1 strong. Repeat this 10 times, then have 1 stronger one at the end. Repeat this for every mission.

The roleplay in SWTOR is insignificant compared to the poor gameplay.

You have described every mmo out there.  Why are you on this site?

Originally posted by TwwIX

The only thing BioWare is concered about is pleasing the PvP whiners. I had a chance to test the game multiple times starting from December 2010. I really had high hopes for this game because it was a really enjoyable leveling experience during those tests. The combat was fun and fast paced. Instead of improving the social, grouping aspects and overall PvE experience of the game, they have done nothing but nerf every fucking thing they deem overpowered. From various classes to things like Slicing. The leveling experience is not fun at all. It's just another,  slow paced, cookie cutter grind fest now. The economy is beyond fucking inflated and everything is a giant money sink. From training to crafting to the shitty Legacy System they recently introduced. It does nothing else but encourage gold farming. PvP is shit. Even the whiners will tell you that. Why do you think they keep bitching about it? They'll never be able to please to those fucking morons. They've ruined various other games with their constant whinning and this game is no exception. This is not a PvP game but BioWare is too fucking thick to realize that. You don't extend the longevity of your game by introducing more grind to it. You do it with more fucking content!  I expect this game to go free to play by the end of the year if not sooner.

This development cycle reminds me of Champions Online. Once the game came out, nerfs, nerfs and more fucking nerfs. If you can't separate the PvP stats from PvE, don't even fucking attempt to make an MMO in the first place.

Another kid who never played mmos before.....  Name an mmo out there genius that hasn't been plagued by constant pvp nerfs.  Guess what kiddo, sometimes nerfs are needed.  If you are scared of the nerf bat then stick to fpsers.