Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do we keep gold sellers out of GW2?

garretthgarretth Member UncommonPosts: 343

I started a character on Aion to keep busy while waiting for GW2.   I noticed so many gold sellers in the newbie areas...it was disgusting.  

I can ignore them, yes, but I found they also were taking away some of my fun of the game.

How are ... or rather how should GW2 handle gold sellers so they don't negatively impact our game play?

Comments

• El-HefeEl-Hefe Member UncommonPosts: 760

players can sell gold to eachother. 

I've got the straight edge.

• TROLL_HARDTROLL_HARD Member Posts: 312

Don't buy gold from gold sellers.

Gold sellers are just the supply side of the problem. It's because of demand that they exist.

• DeathengerDeathenger Member UncommonPosts: 880

I dont think it will be much of an issue with the current cash shop setup.

• garretthgarretth Member UncommonPosts: 343

I hope GW2 has some way to block them in chat.

• MortisRexMortisRex Member UncommonPosts: 350

Originally posted by TROLL_HARD

Gold sellers are just the supply side of the problem. It's because of demand that they exist.

This.

Gold sellers exist because there is a market for them. As long as people are willing to buy it, there will be people to sell it.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

It is to this statement that I doth gladly placeth a +1

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

I never have...but you're right.   Why do folks even buy from them.  It makes no sense to me.

• El-HefeEl-Hefe Member UncommonPosts: 760

Originally posted by Loktofeit

It is to this statement that I doth gladly placeth a +1

lol, gotta love forum RP.  +1

I've got the straight edge.

Originally posted by Torvaldr

Don't buy gold.  The problem starts and stops with us.  You can't cure a disease if people continue to wallow in the cess pool.

What can GW2 do to keep these people OUT!  

• OldManFunkOldManFunk Member Posts: 894

Since players can trade cash shop gems for in-game gold with one another, RMT gold sellers will not find much of a market. First of all player trade will lower what a RMT can sell their gold for. Second who are you going to give your CC# to? Some guy in China or NCSoft? It'll be safe and easy to buy some cash shop gems and put them on the AH.

• RathanX26RathanX26 Member Posts: 119
    Want to see why you should never buy from gold sellers? Google GW2 gold for sale and see what comes up. People are already willing to sell you tons of gw2 gold for cheap prices.... 95% of sellers are scams. Its not worth it to get screwed.

I'm sorry but the only one saying anything about the second coming is you. Fans of a game accept its flaws and strengths.

• Shroom_MageShroom_Mage Member UncommonPosts: 863
    ArenaNet (not NCSoft) will be in charge of banning them, which they will do constantly. Goldsellers are in direct competition with ANet's gem store.

Most people will buy their gold directly in game. This diminishes external gold markets.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

I hope there is a way to police these folks and I hope GW2 comes down hard on them.

• mrshroom89mrshroom89 Member UncommonPosts: 224

In Guild Wars 2 Anet are the gold sellers.  You wouldnt wanna keep the dev team out of their own game would you? 

C

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Really don't see it being much of an issue with this one tbh.

Making gold is retardedly easy in this game, and most of the things you use it on are convenience / repairing / cosmetic. I don't think there will be enough of a demand for gold in this game to warrant rampant gold selling.

• dageezadageeza Member Posts: 578

If nobody would buy from them they wouldnt exist...

If you have to buy gold do it safe and legit by buying gems from the CS and reselling the gems directly to players for game gold..

Done this way it should benefit everyone except the gold sellers...

Playing GW2..

Originally posted by mrshroom89

In Guild Wars 2 Anet are the gold sellers.  You wouldnt wanna keep the dev team out of their own game would you? 

lol....if they start spamming chat then I will run screaming. 

Seriously, the GW2 community needs to be left alone.  

We don't need any gold sellers.   GW2 doesn't need gold sellers.

They are all over every game that I play.   I'm sick of it.

Originally posted by aesperus

Really don't see it being much of an issue with this one tbh.

Making gold is retardedly easy in this game, and most of the things you use it on are convenience / repairing / cosmetic. I don't think there will be enough of a demand for gold in this game to warrant rampant gold selling.

I hope you're right (and I think you are).   I just haven't played the game yet.   I hope they give us a reporting tool in game.

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

This ^^ 

Its the only thing we as players can do.  GW2 has the gem mechanic which should curve it down a bit so that helps.  But the only thing worse than a gold seller is those who buy from them, thus enabling the activity. 

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

With almsot all income coming from cash shop after the release of the game, Anet could probaly sue any gold sellers for taking away there income or somthing along those lines if they realy wanted to.

On other things, i dont think they realy be an issue people will prob just buy gems and sell them if they wanted cash, the market for gold seller will be dictated on the price of gems and the current sell price of those said gems and the more gold thats in the game currently the lower those gem prices will drop in theory.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

Aion is a bad example as that game is a gold sellers paradise with it's terrible RNG.

As long as there are players that want an advantage, there will always be gold sellers.  The game needs full time monitoring to control it and possibly deter players on the fence about buying, with harsh penalties.

• QuenchsterQuenchster Member Posts: 450

Originally posted by garretth

I hope there is a way to police these folks and I hope GW2 comes down hard on them.

People who buy gems can trade for gold, so if people want to buy gold they can do it indirectly. Gold farmers, who can't really be trusted with credit card information, have to compete with ArenaNet's source of gold that can be trusted.

There was a video of a man who works for a gold-farming company in World of Warcraft. He isn't a gold-farmer, he is just the man that finds the demand for it and then requests a gold-farming company to fill the order. Anyways, he said that they are at the mercy of the game companies and that the only reason they exist in games with subscription fees is because usually the gold cannot be purchased in a way that is safe for the customers. When the customers have a safe way to buy gold, the farmers cannot sustain themselves.

• headphonesheadphones Member Posts: 611

in a sub model game, the company relies on subs so doesn't really want to ban as many as you'd think. the gold sellers take up a good number of subs and pay for it. losing them, is losing money.

ftp model, it costs the company nothing to ban your account, because you already bought the box. the company can afford to be more aggressive and creative when dealing with them. admittedly, subpar ftp games don't often do much because they're not as competent or concerned.

however, given anet's obvious love of gaming, i don't see goldsellers being a terrifying issue. combine their cash shop options geared directly toward countering gold sellers by putting that into the players' hands, and you pretty much do away with the aggressive model of gold selling. i think it will be rabid for a few weeks and then die down.

while you won't catch me doing the gems for gold thing, i'd much prefer that method to choking on goldseller spam and having them following me around in robot mode.

• Xstatic912Xstatic912 Member Posts: 365

I never have...but you're right.   Why do folks even buy from them.  It makes no sense to me.

Simple, instant gratificattion...

When gold buyers see ''X'' item going for so much and they have so little, they take the quickest means of getting ''X'' item to satisfy them...

No matter how easy dev's try to make a games economy, there is goona be chock points (hard to obtain items), and that can lead persons to gold farmers because they probably have no time or just lazy to go out and get the items..

Arena Net & Blizzard see this, so now they set stuff up to get a piece of the pie... 

Originally posted by Quenchster

People who buy gems can trade for gold, so if people want to buy gold they can do it indirectly. Gold farmers, who can't really be trusted with credit card information, have to compete with a source of gold that can be trusted.

There was a video of a man who works for a gold-farming company in World of Warcraft. He isn't a gold-farmer, he is just the man that finds the demand for it and then requests a gold-farming company to fill the order. Anyways, he said that they are at the mercy of the game companies and that the only reason they exist in games with subscription fees is because usually the gold cannot be purchased in a way that is safe for the customers. When the customers have a safe way to buy gold, the farmers cannot sustain themselves.

Do you have a link to the video...or I can hunt for it if you remember any key words.