Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who else went out on a limb to support Funcom through Lifetime?

Comments

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

Originally posted by Yizle

Originally posted by GoldenArrow

Originally posted by neobahamut20

Although TSW is new, looks new, I will never forget how they treated their customers in that AoC bullshit. A company that cannot respect customers deserves not my capital. To me, they're like EA now. Hope for those who are still willing to give it a shot that they aren't let down!

Yup AoC shebang was horrible and now they are co-publishing with EA.

I still have faith, I love their games.

Yeah EA and Funcom. 2 companies with a sterling reputation for how to treat customers.

Well after fighting with Bioware/EA and their EU customer service I gotta say that Funcom doesn't feel bad at all :J

• GajariGajari Member Posts: 984

Anyone who pre-purchases a game with a lifetime sub is either rich enough to throw the money around, or a sucker. Actually, probably both.

"OHHH FUNCOM, YOU'RE OBVIOUSLY INFALLIBLE WHEN IT COMES TO EVERYTHING! HERE'S MY MONEY!!"

Some people are just blind to scams. Blind people can't play games, silly. Gawd.

Originally posted by Gajari

Anyone who pre-purchases a game with a lifetime sub is either rich enough to throw the money around, or a sucker. Actually, probably both.

"OHHH FUNCOM, YOU'RE OBVIOUSLY INFALLIBLE WHEN IT COMES TO EVERYTHING! HERE'S MY MONEY!!"

Some people are just blind to scams. Blind people can't play games, silly. Gawd.

Read the thread before posting.

We discussed this like 20 pages ago.

• SnakexSnakex Member UncommonPosts: 317

Originally posted by grimfall

When I see "lifetime sub" being offered, to me it's a red flag that says "We don't feel confident that we can get you to play for 18 months".  WoW didn't offer any lifetime subs.

Obviously because WoW didnt do it, if anyone else does it, it automaticlly means its guna be no good. Because its not like WoW release their game early 2000, and the market has changed since then?

Also TSW obviously thinks that they are going to fail because their game model will fail, and they realize this, and thats why they have extra options, but not because the fact that NO game is completele polished at launch, and they need some fluff to get out of the hard times. Because obviously it hasnt been shown in past events that the new population of MMO gamers has no patience and wants, a good to go game at launch without any wait, and that is why most MMO's that come out now fail.

Maybe, we should stop looking at the Companies, and start looking at ourselves.

Everything needs time to grow, (and just to put the cherry on top) just like WoW.

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517

Although TSW is new, looks new, I will never forget how they treated their customers in that AoC bullshit. A company that cannot respect customers deserves not my capital. To me, they're like EA now. Hope for those who are still willing to give it a shot that they aren't let down!

Yeah EA and Funcom. 2 companies with a sterling reputation for how to treat customers.

Well after fighting with Bioware/EA and their EU customer service I gotta say that Funcom doesn't feel bad at all :J

Then you weren't there for AO and AOC launches or even the first year after. Horrid. And well EA so many titles and reasons for their history and rep.

Originally posted by Snakex

When I see "lifetime sub" being offered, to me it's a red flag that says "We don't feel confident that we can get you to play for 18 months".  WoW didn't offer any lifetime subs.

Obviously because WoW didnt do it, if anyone else does it, it automaticlly means its guna be no good. Because its not like WoW release their game early 2000, and the market has changed since then?

Also TSW obviously thinks that they are going to fail because their game model will fail, and they realize this, and thats why they have extra options, but not because the fact that NO game is completele polished at launch, and they need some fluff to get out of the hard times. Because obviously it hasnt been shown in past events that the new population of MMO gamers has no patience and wants, a good to go game at launch without any wait, and that is why most MMO's that come out now fail.

Everything needs time to grow, (and just to put the cherry on top) just like WoW.

That's a interesting point of view.

They offer LTS so people will stick with the game until Funcom gets it polished.

I just wonder why they'll offer the llifetime sub even after launch. Maybe they don't want to look suspicious :j

Then you weren't there for AO and AOC launches or even the first year after. Horrid. And well EA so many titles and reasons for their history and rep.

Indeed. I actually jumped on AO and AoC much later 8)

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Originally posted by Snakex

That's a interesting point of view.

They offer LTS so people will stick with the game until Funcom gets it polished.

I just wonder why they'll offer the llifetime sub even after launch. Maybe they don't want to look suspicious :j

The game is being poised from the start with limited F2P in mind for the future.  It's FC's way

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959

If you look at the prices of the Collectors Editions from SW:TOR or GW2 for example.

This Master package deal isn't that much more expensive and includes a Lifetime subscription.

Now if you remove the price of the standard box, you break even in 10 months.

I think it's really not a bad deal at all. Much better than that overpriced CE garbage of both SW:TOR and GW2 !

(and this comes out of the mouth from someone who wasted lots of money on two CE editions of SW:TOR /sigh )

Just my 2 cents.

• ArkainArkain Member UncommonPosts: 491

Originally posted by heartless

Originally posted by Arkain

Originally posted by Nethriil

Pretty naive thinking. Funcom knows most people dont buy lifetime time subs. So if 1 % does they still have to please the other 99%. You make it sound like funcom is taking your money then giving up on the game. Buisness wise that does not make sense

No, I'm saying that you basically lose your voice as a lifetime purchaser because no matter what Funcom does, you already paid.

IMHO you seem to be missing the point of the LTS. 

Yes FUNCOM has your money, but what FUNCOM realy see it a list of players that can/did spend $250 and, most likely have even more.

This is what FUNCOM wants to see, these/WE are on their raidar.

Subs come and go, but someone that is willing to realy invest a good sum in there game and mostlikely have even more to spend in the CS, that what they are looking for.

Cash stores work VERY WELL for MMO's (CS's have saved a good number of AAA MMO's now, GW and GW2 will live of CS and box sales alone) and now they all know it.

So basically by purchasing the LTS, you're letting them know that you're OK with them milking you for money through the CS? That doesn't sound right to me. And what if they really start putting bad things in the cash shop, then what? You can't even show your displeasure by cancelling. They already have your cash so you can come and go as you please.

I mean, I can understand GW2 doing it. You basically get a lifetime subscription for $60, so the cash shop is justified. But here, you pay $250 for the game + lifetime and then expect to be milked through the cash shop? This whole thing reminds me of that "I Am Rich" iTunes app which cost $999.99 and all it did was display a glowing red diamond on your phone's screen. The sad thing is that it actually sold 5 copies before it was pulled from the store.

Hi Heartless, enjoying the pvp?

Ok now for your answer:

1) as said by JeroKane, its = a CE, with something good. Its no different then subbing to a MMO for a year and a 1/2. 

If you jump from MMO to MMO and never get past the free month and never go back to a game - its not for you.

If you play a game for years at a time, or keep going back to the same games - then it might be for you.

2) on the CS: you may not understand how they work, you see games try very hard to load CS with non-"bad things", you see bad things don't sell, good things do.

For the type of players that Secret World is going for and getting, most will not play CS = P2W MMO, so they know they will lose and are not doing that. 

If your google fu is/was good you would know this, but my google fu IS good, so I will save you, from your lack of knowledge:

/wax on

/wax off

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fFn_Msxtys

3) GW2.... I do hope that it is as you think their CS will be,

I would like you to use you google fu to support your point, if you can????   dun,dun,DAAA

/challenge

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802

snip

thank you for making me MORE MAD that the game sucks >.< such a good concept!! why did they have to fail so?!?!?

Originally posted by ariboersma

snip

thank you for making me MORE MAD that the game sucks >.< such a good concept!! why did they have to fail so?!?!?

Ya god I know, no P2W, thats ok...you can get that maybe from GW2 lol.

• MortisRexMortisRex Member UncommonPosts: 350

Except you need to buy expansions for full box price every now and then and considering you will either need to use the CS or torture yourself.

I notice you refuse to address what items one would "need" to purchase in the GW2 cash shop even though you assert they exsist. Any chance you'll have the integrity to back this up with facts or should we all pretend that you never made this comment? Honestly, all you have to do is link one mandatory item and you win the internet, I wonder why that will never happen?

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

snip

????????......What part is it that you did not like???????????

I am going to take a guess and say it was right at the part where the interviewer said. "I have two employees from Funcom here....."

Originally posted by GeezerGamer

snip

????????......What part is it that you did not like???????????

I am going to take a guess and say it was right at the part where the interviewer said. "I have two employees from Funcom here....."

ROTFLMAO

ya, I had to google fu his past post to see that LOL.

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802

snip

so funny and so wrong, neither of these games have P2W. I was referring to the fact that the game looks like garbage and they took such a wonderful concept that I have followed for a while and are putting it out well before it is ready and fluid. What they talk about in the beginning.. pisses me off because I wanted this game to succeed so much... and then I played it.

snip

so funny and so wrong, neither of these games have P2W. I was referring to the fact that the game looks like garbage and they took such a wonderful concept that I have followed for a while and are putting it out well before it is ready and fluid. What they talk about in the beginning.. pisses me off because I wanted this game to succeed so much... and then I played it.

You quoted me, and the vid I posted in that quote does NOT have any game play video in it.......

IMHO......Your hate blinds and betrays you.

You do not seem to have even looked at the video, that you quoted.

I am sorry for your loss, and hope you can find peace.

• kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012

Originally posted by MortisRex

Except you need to buy expansions for full box price every now and then and considering you will either need to use the CS or torture yourself.

I notice you refuse to address what items one would "need" to purchase in the GW2 cash shop even though you assert they exsist. Any chance you'll have the integrity to back this up with facts or should we all pretend that you never made this comment? Honestly, all you have to do is link one mandatory item and you win the internet, I wonder why that will never happen?

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/cash-shop-items-leak-t32319.html

Crafting boost, exp boost, rare drops boost!

• MortisRexMortisRex Member UncommonPosts: 350

Originally posted by kishe

Why would anyone need those items? Am I prevented from crafting, obtaining exp, or getting rare drops without those items? No, not one of those items are required to play the game, not one. Now, go ahead and link the mandatory items. The items that make the game unplayable through their absence. Go ahead, I'll wait.

Edit:

Let me make this easy for you since you seem to confuse convenience for necessity. I need a car to get to work. I would like a porsche. I could trade in my lexus and $30,000 and get the car I want, but I'm not going to waste 30k on something I don't need and quite frankly, it's not  "torture" to not have something I don't need.

• troublmakertroublmaker Member Posts: 337

Life time subscription immediately flags that you are getting a life time of a bad game.

I have a friend who bought a life time of LOTRO.  LOTRO is the game where everyone says life time paid off.  So what happened was you bought the game and you got a free month. 

Six months later the first expansion is released and in it there is another free month.  Life time players still have to purchase expansions.  So just to make this clear in the first six months of the game two of those months were free.

TWO MONTHS later another expansion pack came out with another free month.  So let's just make this clear in the first EIGHT MONTHS of the game anyone who was subbing had only paid for a total of five months.  At this point support was dropped for the game and they began producing the re-tooled free to play model.  This means that a player could have done all of the content that the game had to offer.... and only paid for five months.

Life time most definitely did not pay off because the game had nothing but raiding.  The "monster" PvP wasn't very fun and wasn't very competitive either.  I think people need to think less about the investment of time vs the investment of quality of time.  If you played two straight years of LOTRO and you really enjoyed every second of it, then you probably got your money's worth.  If it was really only all that great for the first 3-4 months and after that it was just something to do... then it probably wasn't great.

Another clarification note.  When STO went free to play it wasn't just people who have lifetime that received permanent premium status and what not.  Anyone who was subscribed for over six months also got the exact same benefits as someone with life time subscription.

You have no reason at all to believe that your lifetime subscription will not end up being anything but a development contribution for Funcom.

Originally posted by troublmaker

Life time subscription immediately flags that you are getting a life time of a bad game.

I have a friend who bought a life time of LOTRO.  LOTRO is the game where everyone says life time paid off.  So what happened was you bought the game and you got a free month. 

Six months later the first expansion is released and in it there is another free month.  Life time players still have to purchase expansions.  So just to make this clear in the first six months of the game two of those months were free.

TWO MONTHS later another expansion pack came out with another free month.  So let's just make this clear in the first EIGHT MONTHS of the game anyone who was subbing had only paid for a total of five months.  At this point support was dropped for the game and they began producing the re-tooled free to play model.  This means that a player could have done all of the content that the game had to offer.... and only paid for five months.

Life time most definitely did not pay off because the game had nothing but raiding.  The "monster" PvP wasn't very fun and wasn't very competitive either.  I think people need to think less about the investment of time vs the investment of quality of time.  If you played two straight years of LOTRO and you really enjoyed every second of it, then you probably got your money's worth.  If it was really only all that great for the first 3-4 months and after that it was just something to do... then it probably wasn't great.

Another clarification note.  When STO went free to play it wasn't just people who have lifetime that received permanent premium status and what not.  Anyone who was subscribed for over six months also got the exact same benefits as someone with life time subscription.

You have no reason at all to believe that your lifetime subscription will not end up being anything but a development contribution for Funcom.

The Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar = April 24, 2007

The Lord of the Rings Online: Mines of Moria = November 18, 2008

19 months apart, 

"Your google-Fu is weak, grasshopper"

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

Originally posted by kishe

Those are a great definition of convenience items. You don't need any of them to stay competitive with other players. Nor do you need any of those items to unlock content or defeat a mob.

I wonder though, what are these "nice to have items" that TSW will have in their cash shop?

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

Pretty naive thinking. Funcom knows most people dont buy lifetime time subs. So if 1 % does they still have to please the other 99%. You make it sound like funcom is taking your money then giving up on the game. Buisness wise that does not make sense

No, I'm saying that you basically lose your voice as a lifetime purchaser because no matter what Funcom does, you already paid.

Yes FUNCOM has your money, but what FUNCOM realy see it a list of players that can/did spend $250 and, most likely have even more.

Subs come and go, but someone that is willing to realy invest a good sum in there game and mostlikely have even more to spend in the CS, that what they are looking for.

Cash stores work VERY WELL for MMO's (CS's have saved a good number of AAA MMO's now, GW and GW2 will live of CS and box sales alone) and now they all know it.

So basically by purchasing the LTS, you're letting them know that you're OK with them milking you for money through the CS? That doesn't sound right to me. And what if they really start putting bad things in the cash shop, then what? You can't even show your displeasure by cancelling. They already have your cash so you can come and go as you please.

I mean, I can understand GW2 doing it. You basically get a lifetime subscription for $60, so the cash shop is justified. But here, you pay $250 for the game + lifetime and then expect to be milked through the cash shop? This whole thing reminds me of that "I Am Rich" iTunes app which cost $999.99 and all it did was display a glowing red diamond on your phone's screen. The sad thing is that it actually sold 5 copies before it was pulled from the store.

I would like you to use you google fu to support your point, if you can????   dun,dun,DAAA

/challenge

"Nice to haves." Hmmm, I wonder...

• AvarixAvarix Member RarePosts: 665

Sorry guys, not part of any of this years "Your game sucks, mine is king!" groups. I am however looking forward to Tera, GW2, and TSW. I have not bought a LTS to any game so far though. While they all look interesting in their own way, I am playing it safe since I seem to have a shorter attention span these days. I will be buying all three, trying all three, and sticking with one. If it's really that important to you, I guess I can drop by in another six months and let you know which game it is :P

Meanwhile, I am excited to see how TSW turns out. The unique setting and concept has really grabbed my attention. I will wait and see how it goes before dropping a large sum of money on any LTS however. Especially since no game in a while has been able to hold me for a long period of time. Crossing my fingers that at least one of these games will earn my undivided attention for a while. I hope for these posters that they do as well, whatever game that may be.

/challenge

"Nice to haves." Hmmm, I wonder...

"don't tell me you google fu has failed you, Heartless say it aint so!"

At lease I provied you with a FUNCOM rep, on tape saying no P2W, That does seem to be more then what you have been given,

so I wonder about GW2...MORE...dun,dun,DAAA