Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stress test

Comments

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Originally posted by Icarumba

Judging by yesterday's performance, I don't think you should be worried :)

This ^

Wish I could elaborate.

• sk8chalifsk8chalif Member UncommonPosts: 666

Originally posted by Razephon

Ok too much misinformation here. I'll clarify:

Stress Beta was 6 hours. (5h 30min to be exact. It ended a bit early)

Pre-purchasers did get in. So the whole theory of 'But Arena-net said only people under NDA' is false. So yes, Pre-purchasing did actually entitle people to the stress test. No they are not under NDA as pre-purchasers have not signed an NDA agreement. Therefore it was Arenanet who messed up. (Not that it was a bad thing). What does this mean?

It means, while Arenanet can get stuff removed from the internet they could never prosecute a person who hasn't signed the NDA. Also, they will not ban/take action against these people (thus far anyway) as they are customers.

There was content that was leaked to places like 4chan, reddit and someone even livestreamed on twitch.tv for a short while.

Pre-purchasers did not get in..because i was not in,

2. if there some people who actualy got in and did pre-purchaser . the beta invite was from the pool of 1 million register,

~The only opinion that matters is your own.Everything else is just advice,~

• RazephonRazephon Member UncommonPosts: 628

Originally posted by sk8chalif

Originally posted by Razephon

Ok too much misinformation here. I'll clarify:

Stress Beta was 6 hours. (5h 30min to be exact. It ended a bit early)

Pre-purchasers did get in. So the whole theory of 'But Arena-net said only people under NDA' is false. So yes, Pre-purchasing did actually entitle people to the stress test. No they are not under NDA as pre-purchasers have not signed an NDA agreement. Therefore it was Arenanet who messed up. (Not that it was a bad thing). What does this mean?

It means, while Arenanet can get stuff removed from the internet they could never prosecute a person who hasn't signed the NDA. Also, they will not ban/take action against these people (thus far anyway) as they are customers.

There was content that was leaked to places like 4chan, reddit and someone even livestreamed on twitch.tv for a short while.

Pre-purchasers did not get in..because i was not in,

2. if there some people who actualy got in and did pre-purchaser . the beta invite was from the pool of 1 million register,

I'm guessing the second point you made may have some validity.

Currently waiting for the MMO industry to put out something good.
  • RathanX26RathanX26 Member Posts: 119

Originally posted by aesperus

Originally posted by Icarumba

Judging by yesterday's performance, I don't think you should be worried :)

This ^

Wish I could elaborate.

Don't, Otherwise i won't see you in game.

I'm sorry but the only one saying anything about the second coming is you. Fans of a game accept its flaws and strengths.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

Originally posted by heartless

There was a 6 hour stress test yesterday. It ended. Most people who pre-purchased were able to participate, although they were not notified with an email like other testers were.

That ticks me off. So, if we had been sneaky and found a way to download the client before being notified, we could have participated? I guess I should have been sneaky and dug around for a way to DL the client before being given an actual DL link. Also has me thinking that the twitter comment that people who were in the invite only beta weekend will have to re-download the client for the BWE was likely BS as well.

Oh well, lesson learned.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• nephren25nephren25 Member UncommonPosts: 143

most of the ppl who got in were never sent email. if you had client and had prepurchased you could log on and play. read reddits forums alot of ppl got in and posted SS of it. client is posted on reddit but wont do you any good now since stress test over and your going to have to DL new client for BWE. alot of ppl were scared to log on cause they werent accepted and didnt wanna get there account bann'ed. 

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

Originally posted by ariboersma

Originally posted by Myrdynn

the stress test yesterday was like 30min to an hr tops.

I am not in beta nor a stress tester

it was actually closer to 6 hrs. I have seen a few people verify this and thats an odd number to just come up with at random

lets just say i was in the room with another person who happens to be in the stress test, he sat at his computer from noon-6 yesterday and maybe played 45 mins tops

• grimfallgrimfall Member UncommonPosts: 1,153

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

"Guys: calm down. Obviously we cannot give public updates on teh stresstest because its under NDA, should be pretty straight forward"

What an ignorant comment.  The NDA applies to Beta Testers, not to staff.  That's like saying "guys, we obvisouly can't show any screen shots, or talk about the races and classes in the game, it's under NDA".  If your in charge of tweeting for GW2, you can talk about whatever you want to talk about... that's the point of Twitter.

GameInformer has 30 minutes of Guild Wars 2 gameplay, narrated by our very own Jonathan Sharp: http://ow.ly/agx6W ~RB2 #GuildWars2

Someone fire Jonathan Sharp!  He's violoating the NDA!

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

it was actually closer to 6 hrs. I have seen a few people verify this and thats an odd number to just come up with at random

lets just say i was in the room with another person who happens to be in the stress test, he sat at his computer from noon-6 yesterday and maybe played 45 mins tops

yes, because it was a stress test.

This was the very reason that they didn't formally invite folks that had paid for access through pre purchase.

Stress testers should have the mindset that this will happen. Pre purchasers, despite it being called 'beta', will expect a pretty robust play experience. It might not be 'right', but that's just how it is.

If amy stress tester was in any way upset with not being able to play a lot during a STRESS TEST, and I am not saying that was the case with your 'friend', they really need to settle down and have a word with themselves.

• dreldrel Member Posts: 918

With the number of people going to play the game, I'm glad the developers are already stressing their servers, rather than waiting for beta events from those of us who have pre-purchased the game.  Should make opening day that much smoother.

• grimfallgrimfall Member UncommonPosts: 1,153

Originally posted by drel

With the number of people going to play the game, I'm glad the developers are already stressing their servers, rather than waiting for beta events from those of us who have pre-purchased the game.  Should make opening day that much smoother.

I agree, but they still shouldn't blow smoke up our asses.

• HimemiyaHimemiya Member Posts: 139

Originally posted by fiontar

There was a 6 hour stress test yesterday. It ended. Most people who pre-purchased were able to participate, although they were not notified with an email like other testers were.

That ticks me off. So, if we had been sneaky and found a way to download the client before being notified, we could have participated? I guess I should have been sneaky and dug around for a way to DL the client before being given an actual DL link. Also has me thinking that the twitter comment that people who were in the invite only beta weekend will have to re-download the client for the BWE was likely BS as well.

Oh well, lesson learned.

Correct. I didn't re-download anything.

Regarding the stress test:

One of their CM's way of writing rubs me the wrong way, imo (just check twitter, not breaking NDA here.). It comes across as pretty rude and not just to someone who was rude...

L2P TERA combat:

• DanitaKusorDanitaKusor Member UncommonPosts: 556

Originally posted by donpopuki

Announicing there's a stress test days after they promised people beta access if they pre-purchased the game is a bad PR move. Especially if they don't allow beta testers into the stress test. Yes yes, "stress test isn't beta!" is what I keep hearing, well I've been part of many betas and there were stress during the betas so the terms aren't mutualy exculsive. In fact this particular non-beta stress test is the exception. 

They didn't announce there was a stress test.  There were some comments on twitter (mainly about not breaking the NDA) after people starting asking them questions about the stress test over twitter and via other forums.

A stress test can mean a lot of things though.  Blizzard are calling inviting 275,000 people to the Diablo III beta a stress test as well. Bioware did a stress test for SWTOR by getting everyone to submit a in game support ticket at set times through their beta weekends. Who knows what Arenanet was looking to test under load.

The Enlightened take things Lightly

• RazephonRazephon Member UncommonPosts: 628

Originally posted by DanitaKusor

Originally posted by donpopuki

Announicing there's a stress test days after they promised people beta access if they pre-purchased the game is a bad PR move. Especially if they don't allow beta testers into the stress test. Yes yes, "stress test isn't beta!" is what I keep hearing, well I've been part of many betas and there were stress during the betas so the terms aren't mutualy exculsive. In fact this particular non-beta stress test is the exception. 

They didn't announce there was a stress test.  There were some comments on twitter (mainly about not breaking the NDA) after people starting asking them questions about the stress test over twitter and via other forums.

A stress test can mean a lot of things though.  Blizzard are calling inviting 275,000 people to the Diablo III beta a stress test as well. Bioware did a stress test for SWTOR by getting everyone to submit a in game support ticket at set times through their beta weekends. Who knows what Arenanet was looking to test under load.

From the looks of things:

1.) Testing logins. People have mentioned (not under NDA) that they had difficulty logging in and would frequently get disconnected.

2.) Server Lag - There was a considerable amount, but not too bad overall. 

Currently waiting for the MMO industry to put out something good.
  • Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

Is there another stress today or that was it?

• CaptainSoapCaptainSoap Member UncommonPosts: 142

Originally posted by thedarkess

Is there another stress today or that was it?

That was it, next beta thing should be the public one at the end of the month.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

Originally posted by Vesavius

This was the very reason that they didn't formally invite folks that had paid for access through pre purchase.

Stress testers should have the mindset that this will happen. Pre purchasers, despite it being called 'beta', will expect a pretty robust play experience. It might not be 'right', but that's just how it is.

If amy stress tester was in any way upset with not being able to play a lot during a STRESS TEST, and I am not saying that was the case with your 'friend', they really need to settle down and have a word with themselves.

The "stress testers" were people who signed up for beta and were essentially drawn from a virtual hat. Pre-purchasers are people commited enough to the game that we have paid, in full, for a game with no release date other than "by the end of 2012". I tend to think that the pre-purchasers, taking that leap of faith that the game will be worth it, would be the ones you'd most want to have in a stress test.

It would have been better to announce the stress test, tell Pre-purchase customers that it will probably be a rough six hour window and they may not even get any play in, but if they want to add to the stress on the servers, go ahead.

Any future stress tests should operate that way. Make clear that while they hope to offer an enjoyable testing experience for the WBEs, limited window stress tests, sometimes with only a few hours notice, will be rough affairs, maybe full of frustration, but all the pre-purchasers are welcome to help stress test the servers with those caveats.

That's how you build a positive relationship between the developers and the community. Building up good will during the beta period is much more desirable than expending good will trying to manage PR blunders of your own making.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• NailzzzNailzzz Member UncommonPosts: 515

Admittedly if it is a stress test then it seems they should have added as many people as they could even if only for 6 hrs. Stress tests are usually about seeing how far your server load could stretch. Seems you would need more people for that, not less.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

Oh well, lesson learned.

It was more along the lines of an oversight from ANet. I don't think that pre-purchasers were suppose to be in the stress test, we start next week (hopefully), but apparently some pre-purchase accounts were allowed to log in by accident. Mind you, not all pre-purchasers were allowed in to the stress test, apparently the account had to meet some sort of a criteria. I think it was supposed to be a GW1 account that was linked to GW2's pre-purchase.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter. The fact is that the stress test was done in preparation for the BWE's. The BWEs are not really beta tests. They are more like demos and ANet wants to make sure that we have a good time. That's why they had a little stress test to make sure that when the pre-purchasers log on, they have a great first impression.

• EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735

The "stress testers" were people who signed up for beta and were essentially drawn from a virtual hat. Pre-purchasers are people commited enough to the game that we have paid, in full, for a game with no release date other than "by the end of 2012". I tend to think that the pre-purchasers, taking that leap of faith that the game will be worth it, would be the ones you'd most want to have in a stress test.

It would have been better to announce the stress test, tell Pre-purchase customers that it will probably be a rough six hour window and they may not even get any play in, but if they want to add to the stress on the servers, go ahead.

Any future stress tests should operate that way. Make clear that while they hope to offer an enjoyable testing experience for the WBEs, limited window stress tests, sometimes with only a few hours notice, will be rough affairs, maybe full of frustration, but all the pre-purchasers are welcome to help stress test the servers with those caveats.

That's how you build a positive relationship between the developers and the community. Building up good will during the beta period is much more desirable than expending good will trying to manage PR blunders of your own making.

While in itself the idea sounds reasonable... Don't forget it's the internet we're talking about. The amount of whining, complaining and pure, undistilled rage after people "who paid for the game" couldn't play because of "terrible servers" would fill every gaming forum. 

Imagine if there was no NDA on the stress test, and someone, withotu any bad intentions, would stream/record it and posted it on YT. All that some people would see abut the game would be crashing servers. That's not good marketing by any stretch of imagination. 

I'd much rather have proper beta weekend, where everything that's supposed to works relatievelys moothly (taking into account it is still beta) than risk having even 10 people moaning about "ubad quality" of a stress test. 

• CavodCavod Member Posts: 295

interesting hearsay: If you prepurchased the game and were able to find a download link to the client(or already had it downloaded from a previous beta), you could actually log in during the stress test even if you weren't invited.  I don't think this was planned though.

We really need separate forums for every newly launched game. There can be the anti-<MMO> one and there can be the 'what general discussion should be' one. All the lamenting can happen together where each can find solace in like minded can't-move-on-ers leaving the rest of us to actually move forward and discuss meaningful and relevant topics.

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Originally posted by Four0Six

Good chance of that maybe....who knows....I personally fear GW2 is further out that ANYONE wants to admit, hence all the hush-hush and harsh NDA chatter....

I dont think so, an NDA is there with a reason, in Arenanets case the NDA is there to prevent ingame information thats not set intoo stone yet from leaking. And then having a community that starts whining when its not in the released game.

GW2 will for sure release some day later this year.

This late in the day the gameplay is all but set in stone.

The NDA will be there so people don't complain about bugs and crashes that come with a stress test on the servers.

• TheYear1500TheYear1500 Member UncommonPosts: 531

I disagree the point of a stress test is to find at what point the server/engine can handle, so to do this you have to control the number of people that show up,  after all its worthless to just crash the server with an unknown amount of players.  The point is to be able to get information in a controlled environment. 

If they had opened it up to pre-purchase they would have had to invite all of them.  The point of the stress test was to see how they would handle all the pre-purchase.  Also the people that did pre-purchase have not signed and were told they would not need to sign a NDA. 

The point of the pre-purchase is to create free advertisement for the game created by the players,  I am sure they would not want to see tons of server crash video's on YouTube.      

• camil82camil82 Member UncommonPosts: 50

hi all,

sorry for this but can anyone please answer me, i made my pre order like 7 hours ago and i still didnt got my registrartion code 

for gw2, does anyone know how long it takes till they send it?

• SteeJanzSteeJanz Member UncommonPosts: 334

Originally posted by TheYear1500

I disagree the point of a stress test is to find at what point the server/engine can handle, so to do this you have to control the number of people that show up,  after all its worthless to just crash the server with an unknown amount of players.  The point is to be able to get information in a controlled environment. 

If they had opened it up to pre-purchase they would have had to invite all of them.  The point of the stress test was to see how they would handle all the pre-purchase.  Also the people that did pre-purchase have not signed and were told they would not need to sign a NDA. 

The point of the pre-purchase is to create free advertisement for the game created by the players,  I am sure they would not want to see tons of server crash video's on YouTube.      

I agree.  They could have just been stress testing the support side of things to make sure they could handle a large influx of disconnections and issues getting into beta.  Especially since the next beta is for the pre-purchase.  I don't think it would go over well if a ton of people who pre-purchased couldn't get into the beta.