Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Short or static charge causing loss of video signal?

reb007reb007 Member UncommonPosts: 613

On a semi-rare occassion, when I connect a device to the front panel I/O ports (either USB or audio), I will suddenly lose video signal.

I'm wondering if there is a short between the front panel I/O ports and the motherboard, or somehow the devices I am trying to connect to the front panel ports are giving off a static charge?

Is there a way to test either scenario?  Would either scenario cause loss of video signal?

(trimmed the post down some)

Comments

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

That is strange.

I would make sure the DVI/HDMI/DP cable for your monitor is in tight, and if it has them, screwed down.

I've seen some devices, when inserted, will cause the display driver to sort of reset (momentary screen flash) as they load the new drivers for whatever you just plugged in. Sometimes audio drivers can do this too, especially if they have an "Auto-Detect" function and try to see if you, for example, plugged a microphone into a headphone slot. That isn't really a problem, it's just part of the drivers doing their thing.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Originally posted by gigat

On a semi-rare occassion, when I connect a device to the front panel I/O ports (either USB or audio), I will suddenly lose video signal.

I'm wondering if there is a short between the front panel I/O ports and the motherboard, or somehow the devices I am trying to connect to the front panel ports are giving off a static charge?

Is there a way to test either scenario?  Would either scenario cause loss of video signal?

(trimmed the post down some)

My 1st gut reaction is to think it has to do with your power supply.

How many Watts do you have? What is your video card? Is your power supply grounded? Are you plugging in a USB cable that is also attached to an external source of power?

• reb007reb007 Member UncommonPosts: 613

Originally posted by Ridelynn

That is strange.

I would make sure the DVI/HDMI/DP cable for your monitor is in tight, and if it has them, screwed down.

I've seen some devices, when inserted, will cause the display driver to sort of reset (momentary screen flash) as they load the new drivers for whatever you just plugged in. Sometimes audio drivers can do this too, especially if they have an "Auto-Detect" function and try to see if you, for example, plugged a microphone into a headphone slot. That isn't really a problem, it's just part of the drivers doing their thing.

I've got 2 monitors hooked up to the same video card, and both montiors lose signal. One is hooked up via DVI and the connectors are screwed in and secure. The other monitor is hooked up via DisplayPort and is locked in tight.

It could be that the display driver is being reset, but I'm still leaning toward a short or static shock.  This usually occurs before I even actually get the devices connected to the front panel ports (like if I miss the port and the connector scrapes against the area around the port).

• MehveMehve Member Posts: 487

If you can replicate the problem consistantly, it's probably not static. Besides which, static tends to break electronics for good. PSU isn't impossible, but strikes me as unlikely - USB power limitations are very low, and pull from the 5V rail, which is rarely loaded in modern computers. Does the video resume working immediately after you plug the device out?

My next move would be to check all the involved pins - especially the USB headers on the motherboard. If you have multiple headers available, perhaps changing over to a different one?

A Modest Proposal for MMORPGs:
    That the means of progression would not be mutually exclusive from the means of enjoyment.

Originally posted by GeezerGamer

Originally posted by gigat

snip

My 1st gut reaction is to think it has to do with your power supply.

How many Watts do you have? What is your video card? Is your power supply grounded? Are you plugging in a USB cable that is also attached to an external source of power?

It could be something to do with the power supply, but I'm still thinking it's a short or static shock.

- 750 watt power supply

- 2x 5850 in crossfirex

- as far as I know, it is grounded. I hooked it up the same as any power supply

- the USB device I am connecting to the front panel port is an external HDD which has its own power source.

The 2 devices which I frequently connect to the front panel I/O ports are my headphones (which connect using a standard 3.5mm jack), and my external HDD (which connects via USB and has its own power source).

The loss of video signal frequently occurs if I miss the port and accidentally scrape the device's connector on the metal surrounding the port. So this happens before the device is even really connected.

When not in use, the connectors for both devices (my external HDD and my headphones) will often rest on the carpet next to my desk.  I am thinking because the devices' connectors are on the carpet, they are getting statically charged when I pick them up to plug them into the front panel ports.  But this doesn't explain why the problem still occurs when I ground myself and the connectors before I try to plug them in.

Originally posted by Mehve

If you can replicate the problem consistantly, it's probably not static. Besides which, static tends to break electronics for good. PSU isn't impossible, but strikes me as unlikely - USB power limitations are very low, and pull from the 5V rail, which is rarely loaded in modern computers. Does the video resume working immediately after you plug the device out?

My next move would be to check all the involved pins - especially the USB headers on the motherboard. If you have multiple headers available, perhaps changing over to a different one?

That's the thing, I can't replicate it.  It happens when I least expect it.

Just now I tried forcing it to happen by plugging and unplugging the devices.  I even dragged the devices' connectors on the carpet to see if it would build static.  Tried plugging and unplugging.  No problems.

I just know next week when I'm in the middle of working and I need to pull a file off my HDD, it's gonna do it again.  It doesn't happen often enough to be a huge problem.  But when it does happen, the only thing I can do is power off the system and power it back on.  Unplugging the devices does not bring the signal back.

I'll open the case and make sure I've got all of the front panel connectors hooked up correctly.  Beyond that, I'm at a loss of what to do.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

I would find a workaround unless you want to start replacing your PSU and motherboard.  I assume you have usb on the back of the computer.

Originally posted by adam_nox

I would find a workaround unless you want to start replacing your PSU and motherboard.  I assume you have usb on the back of the computer.

Indeed, I don't think there's been a motherboard released in the last decade that doesn't have USB.

Regardless, it's not just the USB ports on the front panel, it's also the 3.5mm audio jacks.  So anything (not just USB) that plugs into the front panel may or may not cause the video signal to be lost.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Touching the metal prongs/plug to any non-painted metal part of the computer case before plugging them in would ground them and remove any static charge, if your convinced that is what the problem is.