Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help me decide to pre-order or not

2»

Comments

• Odinthedark1Odinthedark1 Member Posts: 330

Originally posted by AxesSWTOR

Originally posted by Odinthedark1

I wouldnt call myself a hardcore fanboy, but at the same time im not even slightly interested in gw2, looking at youtube vid's its nothing but WoW with a few gimmicks and exploration here and there, and thats an unbiased thought on it. ive never tried guild wars 1 either tho, and it looks like 2 is completely different...usually when a company changes things up and takes the risk....ill admit it does take balls but in the end it will likely fail, look at swtor like everyone says...i mean sure its got a "few" die hard fans but overall was a failure in terms of business. i was psyched at how they implemented choices and companions but i got bored not even a month in. gimmicks are just gimmicks.

you best do some more reading if you think its like WoW.. cuz its nothing like it.. just take a few mins and read up on it..

i for one am Xcited that healers are gone ;) also the way groups will be ..

the WvW is just awsome..

the fact that the gear grind is gone is even better.

But anyway this is a Tera forum ;)

i can understand how casual gamer's would feel but making the game easier by removing the grind is an auto turn off for me i prefer something time consuming, fun, and competitive...without the gear grind i would get bored too fast...its why i was able to stick with WoW for so many years. but now is been mutated into something horrible...i can hit 85 from level 1 in 2-3 days flat...hence why im quitting it...TERA has a moderate grind and i think people tend to over exxagerate it. i hit level 20 in 4-5 hours during the cbt's and after 20 obviously the grind got slower but at the same time with more content became fun. also hearing things like getting pre leveled pvp chars for gw2....i love pvp and making that easier is just....depressing thinking about it...tho ill admit i do love the idea of WvWvW, it just doesnt mount up to the chllenge TERA will bring in terms of consuming my all too much freetime while at the same time having a blast with friends. im not saying TERA is better after all when it comes to games its opinion and casual games or non timeconsuming just aint my cup of tea.

• otacuotacu Member UncommonPosts: 547

Originally posted by jpnole

OK I played WoW for a while like everyone else on here. I got sucked into the Rift beta and thought it was the best thing since sliced bread.... until the 3rd month when I hit max level and realized I was just on a treadmill and nothing had changed. SWTOR releases and I only last 3 weeks before it dawns on me that it's just the same stuff from the other mmos only with fancy voice acting and a cool IP. You get the picture. Can anyone convince me that this game will be any different or should I throw the $50 or $60 at TSW and/or GW2 in the next couple months. Money isn't the issue. I could buy all the games. I just don't want to get attached if it's only going to be a 30 night stand :)

What do you mean by "different"?

edit.

OMG how come Gw2 will always come in ? don't go off topic

• N1njaPwnStarN1njaPwnStar Member Posts: 83

I wouldnt call myself a hardcore fanboy, but at the same time im not even slightly interested in gw2, looking at youtube vid's its nothing but WoW with a few gimmicks and exploration here and there, and thats an unbiased thought on it. ive never tried guild wars 1 either tho, and it looks like 2 is completely different...usually when a company changes things up and takes the risk....ill admit it does take balls but in the end it will likely fail, look at swtor like everyone says...i mean sure its got a "few" die hard fans but overall was a failure in terms of business. i was psyched at how they implemented choices and companions but i got bored not even a month in. gimmicks are just gimmicks.

you best do some more reading if you think its like WoW.. cuz its nothing like it.. just take a few mins and read up on it..

the WvW is just awsome..

i can understand how casual gamer's would feel but making the game easier by removing the grind is an auto turn off for me i prefer something time consuming, fun, and competitive...without the gear grind i would get bored too fast...its why i was able to stick with WoW for so many years. but now is been mutated into something horrible...i can hit 85 from level 1 in 2-3 days flat...hence why im quitting it...TERA has a moderate grind and i think people tend to over exxagerate it. i hit level 20 in 4-5 hours during the cbt's and after 20 obviously the grind got slower but at the same time with more content became fun. also hearing things like getting pre leveled pvp chars for gw2....i love pvp and making that easier is just....depressing thinking about it...tho ill admit i do love the idea of WvWvW, it just doesnt mount up to the chllenge TERA will bring in terms of consuming my all too much freetime while at the same time having a blast with friends. im not saying TERA is better after all when it comes to games its opinion and casual games or non timeconsuming just aint my cup of tea.

i understand that you want that feeling of getting gear.. i guess i come from an age of gamers that didnt start off with the easy modes that are out now... my first MMO was Ultima online gear didnt mean anything in that game unless u where fighting mobs i use to run around in my underpants and kill 2-3 ppl at a time.. they had better gear than me yes but it wasnt no one hit wonder they actually had to learn how to play the class and not rely on gear to save them .. to me ppl that rely on gear in pvp dont really know what pvp is .. so u gear grinded WoW and ran around one shottin ppl that just hit 80-85 awsome that is skill.. yeah right.. the fact is if u gave that person his/her full set the outcome would be very diffrent... and while gw2 dosnt have the gear grind it does have a shit ton of other stuff to do plus to me pvp is all about the glory of the win and thats what gw2 does with ranking and what not.. but honestly if u where to make every mmo right now a full loot on death mmo ppl would just sit in town scared .. know why? or do i have to explain that? ;) but anyway have fun pwnin ppl in tera with ur leet gear . yes it does take aiming in that game but its nothing big most ppl will probly just bein usein the ps3 controller anyway.. another thing that i think is pretty stupid..

• Odinthedark1Odinthedark1 Member Posts: 330

the WvW is just awsome..

i understand that you want that feeling of getting gear.. i guess i come from an age of gamers that didnt start off with the easy modes that are out now... my first MMO was Ultima online gear didnt mean anything in that game unless u where fighting mobs i use to run around in my underpants and kill 2-3 ppl at a time.. they had better gear than me yes but it wasnt no one hit wonder they actually had to learn how to play the class and not rely on gear to save them .. to me ppl that rely on gear in pvp dont really know what pvp is .. so u gear grinded WoW and ran around one shottin ppl that just hit 80-85 awsome that is skill.. yeah right.. the fact is if u gave that person his/her full set the outcome would be very diffrent... and while gw2 dosnt have the gear grind it does have a shit ton of other stuff to do plus to me pvp is all about the glory of the win and thats what gw2 does with ranking and what not.. but honestly if u where to make every mmo right now a full loot on death mmo ppl would just sit in town scared .. know why? or do i have to explain that? ;) but anyway have fun pwnin ppl in tera with ur leet gear . yes it does take aiming in that game but its nothing big most ppl will probly just bein usein the ps3 controller anyway.. another thing that i think is pretty stupid..

You somewhat understand me, im not the douche who sits outside farming people lol, in WoW i never killed ungeared people unless it was in an un ranked battleground working on my gear. i usually sat outside org dueling people competitively who were all well rounded and geared as well as doing arena's...skill in any rpg is a factor, and pvp at endgame in tera will probably be the same most will ave probably gotten geared before me cause i tend to level a char to max...then move right on to the next class untill i actually feel like gear grinding...i feel yes skill matters but so should gear, a balance to both. one should not matter over the other and i can tell you this much, a person can be geared on tera as ive experienced on the CBT but if they suck and cant even hit me "its happened" i killed them even with less gear, i dont doubt GW2 would require skill whatsoever my worry is to boast a quick level to max they must also boast a "shitload" of endgame content and im not talking more than ur average mmo, but just a beastly amount. but other than that you got somewhat the gist of what im trying to say, The pvp can be great but if you dont have to work for the gear to do good then its not really worth it, its somewhat similar to the way i view money, pplcan quite easily live off welfare or any other form of help in the US....does that mean its right? no, they should work if they want to survive in an ideal world.

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

Nobody knows how long GW2 and TSW will keep people busy. Content in TSW looks cool, but how much of it is present to keep people entertained? Is it the same few missions over and over?

Same thing with GW2, there is no boring gear grind, so what will keep people motivated to keep on logging in, other than the absence of a subscription fee? Achievements, titles, mini-games, cool looking gear that's not fundamentally better than the not so cool looking gear. Rolling alts, dynamic events, WvWvW, competitive  PvP.

Either way wether you'd want to pre-order anything depends on you. If you want a sure thing then I would wait a few weeks till after release before buying anything. On the other hand GW2 will be there without a sub. TSW = buy + pay or don't play + cash shop. I'm not one to give advice on that. I'm trying to not pre-purchase GW2 on principle, but it's getting harder and harder to stick with that.

K-TERA had problems with longevity since there was almost no end-game at cap, but if the updates come fast enough it could be enough to keep on going. Question marks all over the place really.

imageimage
  • ArkiniaArkinia Member Posts: 251

Originally posted by Sephastus

You have been corrupted by WoW, so almost no other game will keep your attention for long.

Try to get into TERA open beta and decide for yourself if you want to play the game for longer than 30 days. I will warn you though, it will be a grind-centric game during end-game to get your items to their maximum capacity, but the pull of the game is the combat.

Remember, games are like Ice Cream... most of us tried vanilla first, and while we go to many other flavors, its vanilla we keep going back to. WoW is your vanilla... learn to like other flavors.

exactly. I have a beta invite for the 20th which is when I'll decide hot to proceed. No pre order needed as I have not done so, yet.  I'm trying to get the taste of SWTOR out of my system, need a shower!

• N1njaPwnStarN1njaPwnStar Member Posts: 83

the WvW is just awsome..

You somewhat understand me, im not the douche who sits outside farming people lol, in WoW i never killed ungeared people unless it was in an un ranked battleground working on my gear. i usually sat outside org dueling people competitively who were all well rounded and geared as well as doing arena's...skill in any rpg is a factor, and pvp at endgame in tera will probably be the same most will ave probably gotten geared before me cause i tend to level a char to max...then move right on to the next class untill i actually feel like gear grinding...i feel yes skill matters but so should gear, a balance to both. one should not matter over the other and i can tell you this much, a person can be geared on tera as ive experienced on the CBT but if they suck and cant even hit me "its happened" i killed them even with less gear, i dont doubt GW2 would require skill whatsoever my worry is to boast a quick level to max they must also boast a "shitload" of endgame content and im not talking more than ur average mmo, but just a beastly amount. but other than that you got somewhat the gist of what im trying to say, The pvp can be great but if you dont have to work for the gear to do good then its not really worth it, its somewhat similar to the way i view money, pplcan quite easily live off welfare or any other form of help in the US....does that mean its right? no, they should work if they want to survive in an ideal world.

im just gunna put this simple.. pvp shouldnt be about gear at all it should be about player skill and having to learn the class

i arldy have 2 jobs.. i dont need 3.. games are supose to be fun .. and its not fun if u just start a game and get one shotted just bcuz ppl out gear you.. so then you have to grind deaths to get the gear... WoW/Rift/Swtor all are just button mash gear grind and for what? to show everyone u grinded for that peice of gear? id rather not waste my time like i said i have 2 jobs a video game shouldnt be my 3rd. so xbox till gw2 :)

• Deron_BarakDeron_Barak Member Posts: 1,136

Originally posted by JoeyMMO

K-TERA had problems with longevity since there was almost no end-game at cap, but if the updates come fast enough it could be enough to keep on going. Question marks all over the place really.

They're aren't as many question maks as you might think.  The game we are getting, and KTERA has right now, is different than what was released almost a year and a half ago.  It's gone through I think three major content updates.  Besides that EME has hosted five CBTs over here and have gathered feedback on their forums after every one.  They have made additional changes to NA TERA based on this feedback.

The info is there for those that look for it.  Most likely if you're not interested in TERA you don't know.

Just not worth my time anymore.

• GajariGajari Member Posts: 984

Don't pre-order this game. Glad to be of assistance.

im just gunna put this simple.. pvp shouldnt be about gear at all it should be about player skill and having to learn the class

i arldy have 2 jobs.. i dont need 3.. games are supose to be fun .. and its not fun if u just start a game and get one shotted just bcuz ppl out gear you.. so then you have to grind deaths to get the gear... WoW/Rift/Swtor all are just button mash gear grind and for what? to show everyone u grinded for that peice of gear? id rather not waste my time like i said i have 2 jobs a video game shouldnt be my 3rd. so xbox till gw2 :)

Two things:

One, theories look the best they possibly can be on paper.  Let's see how the formula works in practice over a long period of time, these are MMOs after all.

Two, A lot of people aren't tired of the "system".  They are tired of bad examples of it.  A lot of the changes offered by GW2 do not sit well with people but they may forego those feelings if the rest of the game is good.  The same can be said of TERA.  I personally am not playing TERA because it has one or two features I like.  There are already games I can play if I only need one or two aspects.

For the first time in a long time I think a game does what an MMO should.  We'll see if it works out that way.

• centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527

I was going to pre-order but decided to wait.  Tera is a beautiful game but it takes more than artwork to make a game fun.  I have this funny feeling that it may follow rift pricewise and end up available cheaper in a couple of months.  If I end up between games at some time in the future and the cost of entry is lower I might give it a shot after reading about how the last minute westernizations of the game worked out in practice as opposed to theory.

That's a safe way to play it. Other than the nexus the westernization is complete and we've been playing it in the CBTs.

My theory comment had to do with GW2.

No actually that's not correct. The updates we will be getting for OB are different but your dealing with bugs, if anything, regarding westernization.

• n3v3rriv3rn3v3rriv3r Member UncommonPosts: 496

just listen to the evil you on your shoulder, knock out the good one on the other and buy the game

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

Never pre-order anything, yes I'm jaded after AION and RIFT.

Unless....you simply can't live without the in game items you will get.

But, again...Never pre-order anything.

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698

Originally posted by Gajari

Don't pre-order this game. Glad to be of assistance.

LOL thanks! Also thanks to everyone else for the honest feedback. Will wait for the OB weekend and go from there.

• almalexiusalmalexius Member UncommonPosts: 180

Does it have fishing?

WOW,eq2,Vanguard,WAR,LOTRO,AOC,Rift Aion, SWTOR, TERA.

Currently playing GW2.