Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How many people do you think will be playing GW2?

azzacope96azzacope96 Member Posts: 11

Hey guys

Just a quick question to ask "how many people do you thnk will be playing this game?" i for one couldnt wait for april 10th and pre purchased straight away but im curious to think of how many other people did aswell. I'm sure that millions of people will be playing GW2 but does anyone else think that it can mass enough people to take over the MMORPG world?

Thanks

AZZA

Comments

• azzacope96azzacope96 Member Posts: 11

Originally posted by CristianCeo

In 2-3 months after the game will be released will crush all other mmos. Because then will be the time when all naysayers will bow down to the king and buy it ;)

HAHA i totally agree at the moment even still now some are like " hey GW2 will fail like all others, meanwhile im gona sit here grinding and become a fuzzy panda soon"

they will soon all be playing this game when they realise they were wrong!! this game will not fail like AION RIFT and SWTOR because arenanet have got there heads wired up right and are createing something differant.

• CetraCetra Member UncommonPosts: 359

2 millions playing at launch.

• ButregenyoButregenyo Member UncommonPosts: 483

2 million active players equals awesomely huge World Ladder, i hope GW2 achieves that

people dont want to accept the fact that they can make a better game in every aspect without a sub, lots of low minded poeple keep whining about how the cash shop will make it pay to win without knowing the design of Guil Wars. But after launch those people will get it, and  i think they will love GW2. Anet dont have to pray for early sales as they dont have sub. They just have to buy it to try and play forever. I feel shame when i look past to the money i have spent to crappy games that i played at most 3 months. A wasted box sale if you ask me. for guild wars 2 it is so relaxed :)

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Guild Wars 2 will have... One Hundred Million Players

• Loser60Loser60 Member Posts: 170

Originally posted by Master10K

Guild Wars 2 will have... One Hundred Million Players

Oh this slaps me on the knee.

P.S. What movie is that? I remember watching it but can't remember the name.

Austin Powers :D

• KalferKalfer Member Posts: 779

Its a hard thing to answer.

1) you dont subscribe, so you dont have an incentive to play constantly like you would with a sub based MMO. In that sense I think people will play long term casually. you can always have it on computer and play it when you want to without a care in the world. 

2) Guild Wars 1 also felt this. it was hard to make a working guild because people were not as active as in other online games, because they didnt have too. I think GW2 is very different and much more true-MMO, but I still think the casual attitude will be there for many players, and thats a great thing. 

3) Guild Wars 1 has sold over 6 million copies, but this does not mean 6 million accounts. Like other games many had multiple accounts, but in GW1 you also had people who bought the campaigns (which accounts for much of the sale) and those campaigns were tied to the originals account. So if you divded the campaings with 3, you would have something that looked like 2 million player accounts, but that would not be concurrent players! What is retention in a game without a fee? actively playing or purchaseable of the future content? or something else entirely?

I don't really dwell on it. Most people I know are more interested in Diablo 3 than anything else. I wonder how well GW2 will do, but if it takes off, I think it will be due to word of mouth. Some people disliked GW1 because they didnt understand it, and because WoW was super popular back when GW1 came out. It was associated as a poor mans WoW, which was missing the point.

It's very common for the mainstream to pick crappy films and music over quality these days. you dont find much of the box office and billboard 100 to be great stuff. sad but true.

• CetraCetra Member UncommonPosts: 359

When Swtor launched, none of my wow friends care or even know of swtor.

But Guild Wars 2 is different! All my friends who ignored Swtor have already pre-purchased GW2 and are dying to play.

If swtor can get 1.7m players, GW2 can easily 2x or 3x it.

Just see.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

I think at least 500,000 within a week of launch. Maybe 3 million with in a few months. One thing that may set the game apart from the majority of MMOs is that the numbers should continue to grow at a healthy pace over time, rather than peaking quickly before dropping of as time goes on.

A million by the end of the first two weeks is definitely possible, but I'm hedging my bets a little.

Really hard to judge. The game, with no sub fee and all it offers, could sell to most of the people who bought Skyrim and also own and play games on a PC. Breaking Skyrim's numbers down that way is difficult, though, because even if you have the number sold for the PC, you don't know how many PS3/XBOX purchasers also have a gaming PC, but decided to go with the console version for that game. (There would also have to be some top notch advertising for GW2 to really maximize first week sales, but the game should still grow over time, even if the initial numbers don't reach full potential).

We could also look to SWTOR initial sales for some idea, but how much of that was primarily driven by the Star Wars IP?

Of course, the game could blow away my projections for the opening weeks, but I think it's slightly more likely to have a "snow ball rolling down hill effect", rather than blowing out the first week sales projections with a "perfect storm effect" driving rapid, wide spread adoption.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• PocahinhaPocahinha Member UncommonPosts: 550

I humbly predict 2 millions and growing in the comming months and years.

There is no game with gw2 quality releasing in the next few years...so its going to be the new king, and f2p on the top.

• HurvartHurvart Member Posts: 565

I think millions will buy it and play it the first months. But one year later there will probably be 100-200K still playing. This is how most people play games today. They are always waiting for something new. And marketing makes them believe the next game will be the best ever.

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

So many that EA will put an offer on the table to NCSoft/Anet to buy them out, just hope that never happens.  But back on track, I will stick my neck out and say it will peak at 4-5 million players.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

I predict that GW2 will sell 3 -5 million boxes in the first year...  Maybe even more.

By the end of the first year it will have more active players then WoW in europe and US.  

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Originally posted by Hurvart

I think millions will buy it and play it the first months. But one year later there will probably be 100-200K still playing. This is how most people play games today. They are always waiting for something new. And marketing makes them believe the next game will be the best ever.

You are right but GW2 will raise the bar high imo, games with safe recipes like rift will not make too much revenue anymore. Also if GW2 gets that popular with its B2P model, MMOs with sub will start to look like a scam (most are though.)

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

back in 2005, GW1 sold 1 million in the first 6 months

http://guildwars.com/events/press/releases/pressrelease-2005-09-22.php

i know GW2 will sell many more, it appeals to more people and its a mmo

• DarknezzzzDarknezzzz Member Posts: 82

Well, if SWTOR sold couple of millions, then GW2 should double that amount.

But on serious note it's quite hard to predict the numbers. If only we would know how many people have pre-purchased/pre-ordered the game already. My prediction is something around 1-1.5 million in first couple of months, and it will be hopefully growing. Wouldn't want for a game like that to die.

• keenberkeenber Member UncommonPosts: 438

zero because the world ends in december this year

• LanfeaLanfea Member UncommonPosts: 223

between 2005 and 2011 gw1 sold over 10 million copies. as a longshot my best guess is that gw2 will beat this number and get sold over 15 million times in the next 5 years. and because its 'buy to play' gw2 does not have to be worried about competitioners like the upcoming tera or secret world, instead these games can be in trouble if gw2 can hold up to their promise for a longterm motivating game. until the end of the year my best guess is that  gw2 will hit the 3-4 million mark. but how many players will be actually play gw2 active (!) after 3-6 months after launch .... phew no idea yet.

• SomsbalSomsbal Member Posts: 222

Probably around 1-2 million during the launch period, and between 500k-1 million after a couple of months.

• Sora2810Sora2810 Member Posts: 567

You're asking how many people will play a hyped MMO that has no monthly fee? Honestly, just the fact that its free will make tons of people play it. I'd seen people pay $60 for less, I have no doubt that GW2 will have a substantial number of players.

There's no 'keeping' them either. If they bought it, they own it. They can come back anytime. Active players may be a different story, but I have a feeling the casual feel of GW2 will have enough players to complete content.

Played - M59, EQOA, EQ, EQ2, PS, SWG[Favorite], DAoC, UO, RS, MXO, CoH/CoV, TR, FFXI, FoM, WoW, Eve, Rift, SWTOR, TSW.
    Playing - PS2, AoW, GW2

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

With the no Sub clause, i think 90% of all PC MMO player will buy a copy sooner or later if the game is as good as we expect it to be.

How many MMO players are there in the US, Europe and Korea ?    (thats where they release at launch)

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• PalmyCloudPalmyCloud Member Posts: 79

Originally posted by keenber

zero because the world ends in december this year

You mean the "world of warcraft". Whoops I spoiled the end^^

Just kidding.

1st month: 1.881 million

half year: 3.781 million

1 year: 4.123 million

;-)

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

This is something that we will never, EVER know since GW2 has no subscription, which is probably the most accurate way of measuring how many people are currently playing a game.

ANet will never release information on how many ACTIVE PLAYERS there are, such as how many people are logging in on a daily basis or whatever, they will just constantly tout the "Big Number" to catch peoples attention, which is box sales. 

This is meaningless as once someone has bought the box, they could in theory never play it, but ANet will still count it.

The only true way to measure the amount of people playing is concurrent server load (how many people are playing the game at any one time) but again, ANet will never release this information. 

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

I think a very modest 2-3 million units sold in the first year is a very realistic estimate.  If Anet delivers everything they promised so far (which I do not doubt one bit) I honestly think within the first 3 years after launch you will see an estimated 6-9 million units sold.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

Originally posted by Pocahinha

I humbly predict 2 millions and growing in the comming months and years.

There is no game with gw2 quality releasing in the next few years...so its going to be the new king, and f2p on the top.

This is abput whee i picture the population a week or so into the launch and probaly atleast  double that population fairly quickly after that. Reason there wa sover 1 million people who signed up for beta in just over 2 days, i would say atl;east half of the people missed the beta sign up that were intrested in the game.