Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of WarPlanes: PAX East Hands On Preview

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

During PAX East, our team had the opportunity to check out Wargaming.Net's next MMO, World of Warplanes. We've got a pair of impressions to share so keep reading!

World of Warplanes is a great looking game with an absolutely huge selection of World War II era planes to select from, including planes that may have been in research and development in a variety of nations, but never saw combat or necessarily even production. Naturally, I asked to be set up with the classic and iconic P-51 Mustang, but it became clear to me once I started flying that I’d need quite a few flight lessons before I could really wear my wings with pride.

Read more of Mike Bitton's and Bill Murphy's World of WarPlanes PAX East Hands On Preview.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• gilgamesh42gilgamesh42 Member Posts: 300

i hope this games matchmaking is not as baddly balanced  as wot

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

This game lost me after they teased me with dragons.

Joined - July 2004

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

cant wait to give this one a go :)

• IroncladIronclad Member UncommonPosts: 71

Dragons were only an April Fools joke.

• sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458

Originally posted by gilgamesh42

You're making the assumption that the "matchmaker" isn't working exactly as intended, I believe it is. I believe every single "design decision" is based on exactly 1 thing how to get you to spend and nothing else. Balance?, fairness?, anything else? forget about it! All about holy-god-money $ and nothing else.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

Originally posted by saker

Originally posted by gilgamesh42

You're making the assumption that the "matchmaker" isn't working exactly as intended, I believe it is. I believe every single "design decision" is based on exactly 1 thing how to get you to spend and nothing else. Balance?, fairness?, anything else? forget about it! All about holy-god-money $ and nothing else.

Totally agreed :)

There simply HAS to be an incentive to spend money in the cash shop regularly, otherwise how will the developers make any profit ?

If you could play the game succesfully all the way to max level with no drawbacks, why would you spend any money ? Let's face it, "cosmetic" cash shop items are by their nature not going to help you win or lose, and WoT and WoWP is all about winning or losing the fights. No one gives a damn whether your tank or plane looks "cool" :D

• MMOarQQMMOarQQ Member Posts: 636

Why no footage, again?

• SobaSoba Member Posts: 12

Why not make matches with two rulesets on the amount of ammo with one being reflective of a more realistic setup and another being more casual friendly? 

Under either set of rules, I'd like to see bases that players could land at to rearm which would give players the chance to strafe planes on the ground as they rearmed or give players incentive to bomb them to prevent rearming.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

I do think this game will be more skill oriented than WOT.  There is a lot more to flying a plane than steering a tank.  Gold ammo does you no good if you can't hit anything with it.

It is a lot harder to hide a plane, teamwork will be far more evident in this game, or at least it should be.  Of course it all depends if they have implemented sun and clouds properly too.

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

On paper I am really looking forward to this game but I do have some concerns.

Match maker system for reasons long talked about on these boards. I tested WoT closed through to open beta and the mm system was a lot better. A lot more equal and a lot more fun. They changed it up during open beta but it was bearable. I could't belive what they did it after the game went live. Odviously it makes sense for them from a money making perspective and it has made serious bank for them. I really don't see a need for it though. The grind is pretty harsh to get the mid to upper level teirs of tanks as it is. The sort of person who would buy gold in this game to ease that is going to buy it anyway imo. I just think they would have a lot more players and respect if they balanced the MM system out a bit. I do not think it would hurt their income in the slightest. I am really dreading them doing the same thing here but it's coming like a freight train.

Also when reading through Bill and Mikes preview above I can already see increased ammo capacity for gold, am already taking that as a given, but at what level  will they implement it?

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

Originally posted by Ironclad

Dragons were only an April Fools joke.

Yes, but the irony of it was I would only play this game if you could fight dragons with planes.

Joined - July 2004

• Jade77Jade77 Member Posts: 11

Damn it, I have only just started to play World of Tanks lol

Looks good though and should be fun

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Originally posted by MMOarQQ

Why no footage, again?

No joke, because YT blocked my upload after the first one failed.  Working on it.  ;)

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• EduardoASGEduardoASG Member Posts: 832

more p2w coming

Aion, AoC, AC, AO, DDO, Eve, Eq2, GW, MW3, L1&2, RF, RIFT, SWG, SWTOR, TR, UO, WOW, WAR
  • skullquakerskullquaker Member UncommonPosts: 311

cant wait to see what  fantasy planes they come up with  . wonder if they will add the  german  komit   might have to give it a better flight time  usely drop out the sky after ten mins 

could be fun takes more skill to fly a plane than a tank. theres  nothing better than  forceing another player in to the ground  because he got no where else to go

and there wont be no  more playing peek a boo round a rock watching   your whole team get killed  by  one tank

• MalevianMalevian Member Posts: 48

The reality is that as a single game it sucks, like the rest.  All this game presents is a grind to get the "best plane with the best gear".  There are no real objectives at all.  Wargaming.net needs to visit some old school games and realize that there was better before they even created this crap.  

Airwarrior...

Not familiar with it?  Like I said, old school.  Tired of flying your fighter?  Get some friends in that bomber on the guns and bomb the hell out of their airstrips.   Bombers incoming?  Man the flak guns.  You actually got to take off and land your planes.

It's sad that games from the late 90's have more to offer than the dribble they create for today's market.

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

Same MM crap, different genre..........gonna love Spad IV's vs Me262.

• sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458

Originally posted by EduardoASG

more p2w coming

Agree! More of the same.

• DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974

Been watching this game ever since it was announced, WOT is great, and I expect this game to be greater still.

Also World of Battleships should be a great game, have to respect this company for giving us the games we wanted :)

• yaminsuxyaminsux Member UncommonPosts: 973

As usual russian tech will prevail like in WoT. To make matters worse, they'll include planes from the cold war era, so expect sabres/MiGs to be dominant (especially MiGs).

• MMOarQQMMOarQQ Member Posts: 636

Originally posted by BillMurphy

Originally posted by MMOarQQ

Why no footage, again?

No joke, because YT blocked my upload after the first one failed.  Working on it.  ;)

Sweet. Looking forward to more productions.

• BossalinieBossalinie Member UncommonPosts: 724

Originally posted by saker

Originally posted by EduardoASG

more p2w coming

Agree! More of the same.

Yet it still has a strong following that revivals some of our p2p favs...

• forktongueforktongue Member UncommonPosts: 23

Yes a big player in WoT I will be giving this one a miss its just another game for them to make lots of money money money and not fix anything that is in fact the number one complaint in WoT the MatchMaking  it is awful.

Also they will advertise this has Free to play when in fact such has WoT it is in fact Pay to Win you cannot get into the top tiers without coughing up real hard earned cash thats a fact.

And also has someone pointed out it will start of with your usual suspects WW2 planes then they will sneak in post modern war planes such has the Vietnam conflict same has in WoT T-54 etc etc.

So expect to be owned by a player with a nice wallet to kill you with a supersonic jet or something along them lines

• ToothmanToothman Member UncommonPosts: 76

Actually the match maker in WoT does fairly well.   The problem is the players who go running off on their own, get smoked, then start crying.  There are sometimes issues but there will always be with any system.  If they had a person hand pick the teams there would still be issues.  Just like there will still be wailing and streams of tears from people who refuse to learn how to play.

• yaminsuxyaminsux Member UncommonPosts: 973

Originally posted by Toothman

Actually the match maker in WoT does fairly well.   The problem is the players who go running off on their own, get smoked, then start crying.  There are sometimes issues but there will always be with any system.  If they had a person hand pick the teams there would still be issues.  Just like there will still be wailing and streams of tears from people who refuse to learn how to play.

Matchmaker in WoT is borked, it only work with 20k+ players in server. Devs admitted this long ago. EU/RU server dont have this issue since the have a healthy amount of playerbase. US server OTOH is the one that's hurting.