Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Neverwinter: Cryptic's Dark Horse Rising

Comments

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

Originally posted by caged9087

It's published by Perfect World.....they have the worst games ever and always screw it up. You want a real DnD mmorpg go play DDO, the next pack brings Forgotten Realms into the game.

Everyone's opinion is different.  To me, Perfect World actually has some of the better F2P games out there.  Turbine, however, has handled DDO fairly well, but has failed horribly with the F2P implementation of LOTRO.

Neverwinter is still too far away from release to tell how it will be, but so far, it looks better than DDO in my opinion.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

It seems to me the mobs where to easy given it is suppose to be DnD. Never played a PnP version that you solo'd a boss mob. Also, fighting 3 mobs solo he should be dead. I will wait for Pathfinder Online myself for a PnP MMO.

• stealthbrstealthbr Member UncommonPosts: 1,054

Originally posted by allegria

You know, this sounds great but what is going to differentiate it from everything else ? Given recent MMO history I am certainly not expecting much more than:

A themepark linear leveling experience, with some D&D lipstick.

They already stated No multiclassing at launch . . . . 

Limited classes and options, see point 2

The foundry will make or break this one...

Agreed, big time. Pretty hack and slash games are fun the first couple of days/weeks but get old FAST for lack of depth and variety. If this game has only a faint resemblance to D&D,  I am afraid it will fall under the "been there, done that" category.

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823

Let the pre-launch advertising dollars hit the the websites.  It's Cryptic what more needs to be said . The selling points will be wait for it ...... customization and the foundry .

F2P , I won't hold my breath . There will be a small easily accessed world light on content , you'll have to pay to access things and items. Foundry will probably be the crux of the income generating mechanism. You may not have to P2P foundry content, but to use it and the toolset you will. I can even envision they may put in effect some sort of monthly user fee on basic Foundry access.

The execution will be poor and the list of excuses and plea's for tolerance will be just as long.  If anyone has even remotely observed their last 2 releases can expect a lot more of the same . Large unrealistic rooms , high amount of C-store items,  poor animations and a lot of " Press F ".  Enjoy from afar and wonder what if , but don't give them a cent .  Cryptic has become the most farcical game development company out there.

• jayartejayarte Member UncommonPosts: 450

Another nice write-up, Bill.  This game popped onto my radar briefly a while ago, and then I forgot all about.  Nice to be reminded and it's another one to add to my list of anticipated, I reckon.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

I don't really have much hope accept to say that they have new developers on this project, i will be watching closely and if i see anything fishy it will be an instantaneous no, i won't play for me because of my past dealings with this company. If they do well, that's another story but they have a long way to go to gain public trust again.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

Originally posted by cooms

This game is going to bomb so hard. How have people not realized that Cryptic cannot make games. Feel sorry for anyone that falls for this bait and switch.

Game will be f2p in 3-4 months.

lol nice call. Its starting as a F2P

• coomscooms Member Posts: 219

Originally posted by Myrdynn

Originally posted by cooms

This game is going to bomb so hard. How have people not realized that Cryptic cannot make games. Feel sorry for anyone that falls for this bait and switch.

Game will be f2p in 3-4 months.

lol nice call. Its starting as a F2P

well that's a good sign. That means maybe the people that make the game will stil be paid before they have to shut down operations over at craptic.

• Cochran1Cochran1 Member Posts: 456

I'd like to know that there is utility (traps and puzzles) for a theif to be a theif rather than a dual weild DD. After watching the video though I have a feeling that won't be the case.

• JohnShieldsJohnShields Member Posts: 35

Cryptic has ruined everything they touched. I'm not at all excited about this game.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Too bad it's Cryptic because this game could have been great, But since it is Cryptic it will most likely have:

1. Shitty, or no, PvP

2. Cash Shop

3. Too many instances

4. Extremely fast leveling. Well all ThemeParks are like this these days but still...

So not expecting much.

Why cant a good company like Bethesda make an MMORPG?

• CodiviusCodivius Member Posts: 30

Can't believe that the Dark Sun PC game is already 20 years old!

I immediately recognised the pic from the box but I had completely forgotten about that game.  Looking at some gameplay screens now, but I wish I hadn't. lol.  Was much more awesome the way I rememberd it.

Dark Sun Pictures

Anyway, on topic: I'll be watching the news for this game!

Currently playing: Skyrim, SWTOR
    Looking forward to: Guildwars 2 ! modestly excited for: The Secret World
    Have played intensely: Rift, Eve, AoC, WoW, Conquer 2.0, Astonia 3
    Have played less intensely: just about everything else

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,848

Neverwinter should have stayed as an online co-op RPG. It had a chance to not outright suck then. Cryptic can not make MMOs. Cryptic does NOT learn from their mistakes even when they admit they made mistakes.

Perfect example
    Jack Emmert - "what I learned is, if you didn't have a feature at launch, you might as well never have it. Whatever you're going to have at launch defines you as a game."

http://massively.joystiq.com/2010/08/23/massively-exclusive-jack-emmert-speaks-about-neverwinter-and-a/

The article states that Neverwinter's PvP will be added later in 2013.

I have zero faith in Cryptic.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Originally posted by Xiaoki

Neverwinter should have stayed as an online co-op RPG. It had a chance to not outright suck then. Cryptic can not make MMOs. Cryptic does NOT learn from their mistakes even when they admit they made mistakes.

Perfect example

Jack Emmert - "what I learned is, if you didn't have a feature at launch, you might as well never have it. Whatever you're going to have at launch defines you as a game."

http://massively.joystiq.com/2010/08/23/massively-exclusive-jack-emmert-speaks-about-neverwinter-and-a/

The article states that Neverwinter's PvP will be added later in 2013.

I have zero faith in Cryptic.

It is just marketing BS because you have to agree that it sounds good to have all features at release right?

The guy is just an empty suit full of BS. He has not much clue about how to make a good game but only how to make a profitable game and those are not neccessarly the same thing.

• freakishbeanfreakishbean Member UncommonPosts: 176

I wasn't entirely sure, it looked nice, yay non-combat stuff... but then he mentioned the Foundry and User Generated Content. Now I am interested...

Needing is Wanting...
    Wanting is Coveting...
    Coveting is Sinning...
    I am SO going to Hell.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

The fact it will be f2p is a cause for concern not joy. That the game has seen a switch to 'MMO' from being a social hub game is also cause for concern. You don't just change the fundamental architecture of a game with the wave of a wand.

The three classes are just one of the things which point to how this game was designed before they decided to call themselves a MMO. I say decided because it takes more then proclaiming yourself to be a proper MMO and doing a design makeover to be one.

NWN has had a long and illustrious history, players should realise this new game is its own beast and judge it as such.

• Arathir86Arathir86 Member UncommonPosts: 442

Part of me is saying "Neverwinter MMO, omg this is what I have been dreaming of for years!"

And the other part of me is saying...

"The problem with quotes from the Internet is that it's almost impossible to validate their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

If anything this is going to show whether Cryptic is a lousy developer that simply got lucky with CoX or was it Atari setting them up all along with lousy treatment.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617

I am a huge fan of this story. I have read all the books around Drizzt more times then I can count. But Cryptic has fooled me twice and I wont spend money on them again. I dont trust them to buy their game and I dont trust them to run a F2P MMO and almost 100% sure it will end up being pay to win. With a bunch of empty promises that leave people feeling sold short. Second they said PvP wil be coming later it felt like every project they have done, not done. Needing work and promises that content is to come and very little delivered.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617

P.S. I will change my mind and try this game if Cryptic gives me back my money for 2 life time subs! Oooo wait that wont happen!

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

If you don't buy the game until after launch and looking at the reviews you can't fall for broken promises. It is gamers buying habits that allow promises to be broken.

• jefaw82jefaw82 Member UncommonPosts: 72

The thing that makes the previous Neverwinter games great always has been the roleplaying of your character. If you walk into an Inn and feel particularly rowdy, you can and always have been allowed to murder the entire pub - skills willing. You can't do that in MMos because - heaven forbid - you might kill a precious questgiver!

MMOs just don't give you that RP experience. I think I would have prefered another superb single-player rpg experience in a long line of successes opposed to where they decided to take it - just another fantasy MMORPG.

There's MMOs that don't have auto-attacking (click-and-watch) already so that's nothing new. Solo and group dungeons. "open-world" exploration. Raids. Done, done, and done. So far they haven't said anything groundbreaking or different than whats already flooding the market. It's Rift with a leather Forgotten Realms coat.

I think they went in the wrong direction entirely. Setting and lore doesn't mean much when it's in an MMO - come on, who really reads quest text anymore? But when it's spoken to you, when you're given dialogue decisions that actually effect outcomes... when you're playing a true Neverwinter game - it's magical.

Finishing the D&D Game Table and getting online with your DM and fellow party would have been time better spent than developing this inevitably generic multiplayer fantasy experience.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

Wait, hold on. This isn't a joke? Like this is actually happening like for reals? Are you guys trying to tell me that Cryptic is making a Neverwinter Nights game and it's being published by Perfect World Entertainment?

This can't be real, It has to be a dream! That is the only logical explanation. Any minute now I will wake up and none of this will be real... Any minute now...

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462

quietly hacking away using same old engine that's not going to feel like a leap forward is the one thing I fear about this. New engine can do new tricks, this one done all the tricks it can do, all they can do now is better eye candy,but no new mechanics that allow new idea's and ways to implement them. Sure the engine had great custom toon building, but it has a certain feel and grain to it with MMO's made on it which translates into the games overall feel. Not a fan of PW, they're like the EA of the East and all about you handing over money to their micro payment, and the games they back reflect this, more about the micro pay than the fun.

• JumdorJumdor Member Posts: 62

Eh, I'm mostly just looking for what their character building offers on the free side. Combat and everything else is always a second thought. Cause there are too many limits to what MMOs can do even as tech constantly increases. Cryptic has always had indepth customization so that's what I'm going into this expecting. Nothing really beyond that. I think some of the visuals are pretty, but visuals aren't what I play most games for. If it's fun I'll play it. If not well I'll spend time in the character creation and after a few weeks ignore the game entirely... 

"Love can be innocent and can be sweet, but sometimes about as nice as rotting meat."