Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bioware has won my heart with their incredible generosity!

MonorojoMonorojo Member UncommonPosts: 411

I have always been an unbiased bystander when it comes to companies and MMOs. Playing both sides of the fence, even keel. But with bioware, I can't help but say "I love you guys!!!"

In celebration of their latest patch, they gave all active players a free month of playtime. Initially it was only to level 50 players, but this cuased an uproar. Thankfully, Bioware is one of the few mmo companies that actually listen to their fanbase (Taking notes yet competitors? You should be!!) with this post here...

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=410458

They also gave everyone currently subbed a free day for unexpected maintance that occurred earlier today!

I know a lot of negativity is being spouted by disguntled ex players, but please unbiased bystanders, ignore the hate! If they wanted to artifically inflate subs, they would have just given everyone who was subbed at the moment a free month. Instead, they have decided to reward their dedicated fanbase who actually plays the game.

Not only that, but they gave those not yet eligible for the free month an extra 10 days to become eligible! This amount of genoursity displayed to such an extent by an MMO company is truly heart warming. I am now a lifelong fan of a company with such hits as Mass Effect, Star Wars : The Old Republic, and Dragon Age. They have a very good repuation as being a AAA developer and continue to live up to their name! Not only in the incredibly quality that can be experienced in SW:TOR, but also with great customer service and superb customer relations.

So this is all about a topic for fans of the game. There are 19 other topics on the front page for the haters. This one is for the people who love SW-TOR and want to scream the fact on the top of a mountain so all the world can hear!

Lets celebrate 1.2 guys!

Comments

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Or as we like to know it to really be, damage control. I mean if you wan t to go pulling the 'generosity' card, why not refer to Square who did that whole long period of time FF14 was free, not for just subscribers but  those who might buy the game? Sounds far more 'generous' to me then this move to keep people around if you want to look at things like this as having 'heart' rather then the buisness move it really is.

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926

They did give people with no sub time. Not 30 days but enough that they can claim the subs. I'm not a "Hater". I really did enjoy my first month and the story. Infact I have reccomended the game to a couple friends. BUT I did warn them to play it as a single player. As an MMO it falls way short.

I'm glad you enjoy it though. No reason to rag on people who do like it. Everyone likes diffrent games for one reason or another no matter how alike it is to another in the genra. Thats just not for MMO's either. Hell I can remmber people arguing (in school) over duke nukem, DOOM, or Wolfenstien being the best FPS's.

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991

So 4 months after they release an unfinished game, Bioware finally puts out a patch to try and add some of the things that should have been in there from the start, and they can't even get that right, so they pass out 7 days free time to people who have unsubbed and 30 days to those still playing, and this should be celebrated?

Honestly, I'm not sure if your post is serious or perhaps one of the greatest troll posts ever.

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

• TROLL_HARDTROLL_HARD Member Posts: 312

Originally posted by xenogias

Hell I can remmber people arguing (in school) over duke nukem, DOOM, or Wolfenstien being the best FPS's.

Now I'm enraged. /joke

What about Quake, ffs? How can that not be included in the discussion of best FPSs of the time???

@ OP -- To keep with the topic of this thread, I can't find fault with FREE game time. Nothing wrong with that, especially if you're already subbed.

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

Originally posted by Monorojo

I have always been an unbiased bystander when it comes to companies and MMOs. Playing both sides of the fence, even keel. But with bioware, I can't help but say "I love you guys!!!"

Horse manure.  You are one of the biggest Swtor fanboys on the site, and one of the biggest haters of GW2 showing up in almost every thread to bash it relentlessly. 

Futhermore, this was clearly done because they are desperate, as well as to buff their numbers for the upcoming financial reports.  They were going to allow only 50s to get the free month, because they still want income after all, but then due to player outrage they've changed the deal up to allow others to benefit, only because loosing tons of subs is not exactly beneficial to them. 

This has little to do with being generous to you.  Its about them. 

• artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431

First, I play and enjoy TOR. It fits my playstyle and knew exactly what to expect from the game. It delivers on what I wanted for the most part. Minus a few more end game options. But this is the wrong play to post for anything positive. The community here is not casual enough to enjoy TOR. And this is probably bait anyway, but I am board at work. That said, it is a nice gesture for those of us subbed. But it is also a money grab to try to get players to come back. So it isn't the way you picture it. EA is a corporation, they only care about money. Don't kid yourself.

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

• JupstoJupsto Member UncommonPosts: 2,075

Can't believe this shit, I only just bought the game. I could have had 60 days instead of 30.

Ah well I'll probably won't even play 30 days, I only bought it for the story quests, the rest of the game is utter balls.

My blog: image

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044

I hate to be the bearer of bad news OP but you are wrong.

You stated "Everybody" got 30 days free. That is wrong. You have to have at least Legacy Level 6 to get free month. I for one do not have anywhere near that. I have a Lvl. 36 on one server and a 26 on another server so no free month for me. I am not complaining though. My fault for switching servers.

Just clairifying.

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Is this thread what's known as a reverse troll?

What? Just sayin.....

• Arathir86Arathir86 Member UncommonPosts: 442

Blizzard used to give our free month's and days due to 'unexpected' down time.

Then they stopped.

Because they fixed their patching process and made it more streamlined.

So, whats EA's excuse? I mean They are quite a large company, more so when WoW was released...

"The problem with quotes from the Internet is that it's almost impossible to validate their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

Originally posted by Purutzil

Or as we like to know it to really be, damage control. I mean if you wan t to go pulling the 'generosity' card, why not refer to Square who did that whole long period of time FF14 was free, not for just subscribers but  those who might buy the game? Sounds far more 'generous' to me then this move to keep people around if you want to look at things like this as having 'heart' rather then the buisness move it really is.

Well in your scenario, wouldn't it be far more damage to control?

• SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759

At least they extended the offer to more players.  It would seem that thier PR department dropped the ball on that one, the offer should of always been to the players who have played more than a month.

My anger towards this game has now changed to sadness.  It's not only Bioware/EA that suffers from a bad game, we all do.  Now investers will look at this as proof that $150+ million dollar MMO's are too much of a risk.  Hopefully, someday soon, there will be another WoW like MMO in the terms of popularity and success otherwise the next decade will be filled with smaller budget mmo's like STO and Rift.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Very nice. They listened to the consumer.

Assuming they had one million subscribers (which is probably a low estimate), they just spent $15 million trying to hold onto subs. That's a pretty insane amount of money.

Originally posted by zymurgeist

Originally posted by Kreedz

Blizzard used to give our free month's and days due to 'unexpected' down time.

Then they stopped.

Because they fixed their patching process and made it more streamlined.

So, whats EA's excuse? I mean They are quite a large company, more so when WoW was released...

EA's excuse is Bioware. You know the people who made the game.

....according to the parameters EA set.

finished that sentence for ya so it is more in context )

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

It sounds like they're trying to make it so that if you played enough to get a character to level 50, but spread the time across several characters instead of just one, you're still eligible.  Which makes more sense than announcing the legacy system with a bonus only to players who won't use the legacy system.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Well the new rules are much better, and I'll bet if I put my mind to it I can get a character to 50 in the next week so I've got no beef at this point.

No doubt some folks will still get left out though, I'd say rewarding people for paying more than a month renewal on their subs would have been a better way to go, but hey, it's their game.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549

Bioware! My hero! (tongue in cheek) lol

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• GajariGajari Member Posts: 984

Originally posted by xenogias

BUT I did warn them to play it as a single player. As an MMO it falls way short.

Honestly, if you play it as only one or the other, then it falls short on both. If you bring them both together, it's at least mediocre.

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085

Originally posted by Worstluck

You and me both, little buddy.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• goldiewilsongoldiewilson Member Posts: 90

So I guess when the game goes FTP with a cash shop, that will count as the ultimate act of "generosity eh?

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

Originally posted by goldiewilson

So I guess when the game goes FTP with a cash shop, that will count as the ultimate act of "generosity eh?

I think it will be about another year or two before that really goes down.  They'll fight it all the way.  

The nice thing for Swtor players though is that during that time, Bioware and EA has the means, and they'll likely crunch a little harder to improve the game so F2P will never be a necessity.  And maybe they can pull it off eventually, I dont know. 

So far its not looking good though.  You do have to wonder what the game will be like by patch 1.8 or patch 2.4 . 

Originally posted by Corehaven

Originally posted by goldiewilson

I think it will be about another year or two before that really goes down.  They'll fight it all the way.  

The nice thing for Swtor players though is that during that time, Bioware and EA has the means, and they'll likely crunch a little harder to improve the game so F2P will never be a necessity.  And maybe they can pull it off eventually, I dont know. 

So far its not looking good though.  You do have to wonder what the game will be like by patch 1.8 or patch 2.4 . 

My guess is that we are just going to stop seeing sub-only games in the future. If/when SWToR goes f2p, I doubt it is going to be a sign that the game has 'failed', just that they are changing their business model to follow industry norms.

But I aggree with goldie, 'generosity' isn't the right word for it.

• ZefireZefire Member Posts: 676

arena net are more generous.they give u free play for a life time.

Just realise it guys p2p has died.Noone wants to pay per month for a game he has already bought.

Blizzard is trying their new milking system with diablo rmah.If it succeeds they will implement it into their new mmo and maybe into their wow.

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

It just seems like it is damned if they do and damned if they don't nowadays with Bioware. Every decision they make kills kittens and causes outrage. I think it is a good gesture, though it is clear that it is a PR move. I definitely wouldn't scoff at a month of free play, but unfortunately, I am not eligible.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.