Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who else went out on a limb to support Funcom through Lifetime?

Comments

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

Originally posted by Nethriil

Pretty naive thinking. Funcom knows most people dont buy lifetime time subs. So if 1 % does they still have to please the other 99%. You make it sound like funcom is taking your money then giving up on the game. Buisness wise that does not make sense

No, I'm saying that you basically lose your voice as a lifetime purchaser because no matter what Funcom does, you already paid.

• ArkainArkain Member UncommonPosts: 491

Originally posted by heartless

Pretty naive thinking. Funcom knows most people dont buy lifetime time subs. So if 1 % does they still have to please the other 99%. You make it sound like funcom is taking your money then giving up on the game. Buisness wise that does not make sense

No, I'm saying that you basically lose your voice as a lifetime purchaser because no matter what Funcom does, you already paid.

IMHO you seem to be missing the point of the LTS. 

Yes FUNCOM has your money, but what FUNCOM realy see it a list of players that can/did spend $250 and, most likely have even more.

This is what FUNCOM wants to see, these/WE are on their raidar.

Subs come and go, but someone that is willing to realy invest a good sum in there game and mostlikely have even more to spend in the CS, that what they are looking for.

Cash stores work VERY WELL for MMO's (CS's have saved a good number of AAA MMO's now, GW and GW2 will live of CS and box sales alone) and now they all know it.

Originally posted by Arkain

Yes FUNCOM has your money, but what FUNCOM realy see it a list of players that can/did spend $250 and, most likely have even more.

Subs come and go, but someone that is willing to realy invest a good sum in there game and mostlikely have even more to spend in the CS, that what they are looking for.

Cash stores work VERY WELL for MMO's (CS's have saved a good number of AAA MMO's now, GW and GW2 will live of CS and box sales alone) and now they all know it.

So basically by purchasing the LTS, you're letting them know that you're OK with them milking you for money through the CS? That doesn't sound right to me. And what if they really start putting bad things in the cash shop, then what? You can't even show your displeasure by cancelling. They already have your cash so you can come and go as you please.

I mean, I can understand GW2 doing it. You basically get a lifetime subscription for $60, so the cash shop is justified. But here, you pay $250 for the game + lifetime and then expect to be milked through the cash shop? This whole thing reminds me of that "I Am Rich" iTunes app which cost $999.99 and all it did was display a glowing red diamond on your phone's screen. The sad thing is that it actually sold 5 copies before it was pulled from the store.

• CantorageCantorage Member Posts: 186

Originally posted by Arkain

So basically by purchasing the LTS, you're letting them know that you're OK with them milking you for money through the CS? That doesn't sound right to me. And what if they really start putting bad things in the cash shop, then what? You can't even show your displeasure by cancelling. They already have your cash so you can come and go as you please.

I mean, I can understand GW2 doing it. You basically get a lifetime subscription for $60, so the cash shop is justified. But here, you pay $250 for the game + lifetime and then expect to be milked through the cash shop? This whole thing reminds me of that "I Am Rich" iTunes app which cost $999.99 and all it did was display a glowing red diamond on your phone's screen. The sad thing is that it actually sold 5 copies before it was pulled from the store.

Except that GW2's cash shop will have much more "power" and "semi-power" items in the shop. They will have XP potions, prestige potions, weapons, armor, everything. And they're still going to come out with two "expansions" a year. So in essence, it's a P2W that has a box cost and a poorly hidden sub cost.

Funcom aren't rich. They need the extra cash. There was an article a few months back in ITavisen.no that basically said that Funcom would run out of money and go bankrupt this year if it wasn't for TSW. So I fully understand their need to cushion their income even more, and what's better is that they're doing it in the best possible way, without hurting any subscriber.

And I agree with the OP. Funcom tries something forward-thinking in every MMO, and TSW is the culmination of their imaginative designs. I fully expect it to rock the foundations of the traditional MMORPG, and for that they have my lifetime sub. Funcom have also shown that they have integrity. Even after Gaute Godager butchered AoC, they've kept the servers open and tried to fix the mess he's made. If it was Sony Online Entertainment or some shit, I can guarantee the switches would have been flipped years ago.

Where others have given up, Funcom persists. If they had a "donate" button I'd give them 50,000$.

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926

Originally posted by maitrader

Sup guys,

I have been a long-time fan of Funcom... unlike many people who nitt-pick the crap out of funcom and their games, it truly is the ONLY company to offer something different and revolutionary to the genre with each game... We need more FUNCOMS ... not more Blizzards and Anets... I dont make tons of money, but I wanted to support funcom for trying a brand new spin on the genre through TSW... such balls (regardless of whether it works or not) deserves to be supported.. especially in a genre full of clones trying to be EQ or WoW... This game is being done unlike any game before its time.. for the amount of time they have been working on it (4 - 5 years anyone?), I believe this game will be good at launch, and spectacular in time. WHO ELSE BOUGHT LifeTime?!

Not after AoC. I wont even be trying TSW till at least a couple months after launch depending on the reviews. And no, people dont nitt-pick funcom. Funcom screwed themselves with AOC's launch and where lucky to survive it. I dont need to go over just how bad AoC's launch was do I? Or maybe I do. I dont know to many people that got that pile of dung at launch and where happy with thier purchase.

Originally posted by Mercantor

Except that GW2's cash shop will have much more "power" and "semi-power" items in the shop. They will have XP potions, prestige potions, weapons, armor, everything. And they're still going to come out with two "expansions" a year. So in essence, it's a P2W that has a box cost and a poorly hidden sub cost.

Actually no, they will not have prestige potions, weapons, armor, everything. They will have XP potions, crafting potions and costumes, character slots and maybe bank slots. Soundsa familiar? That's right pretty much the same thing that TSW will have.

Now listen, I understand that you're a TSW fan. That's you thing and I have no issues with that but if you're going to make an acusation against something, you need to actually know what you're talking about, otherwise you completely devalue your whole argument.

• CantorageCantorage Member Posts: 186

Actually no, they will not have prestige potions, weapons, armor, everything. They will have XP potions, crafting potions and costumes, character slots and maybe bank slots. Soundsa familiar? That's right pretty much the same thing that TSW will have.

Now listen, I understand that you're a TSW fan. That's you thing and I have no issues with that but if you're going to make an acusation against something, you need to actually know what you're talking about, otherwise you completely devalue your whole argument.

Have you played the original Guild Wars? If you expect the GW2 cash shop to be any different, I think you need a course in economics.

• Hero_AlphaHero_Alpha Member UncommonPosts: 60

I am not buying lifetime for TSW, or even playing it for that matter. But I think lifetime subs can be very nice. I wish I had bought the LotRO lifetime sub back in 07' when I started playing it, would have saved a lot of money. Only other game I have considered was DCUO, glad I didnt now as they have a really sweet F2P system. Luckily the next game I get kinda has lifetime since its B2P hehe.

playing:DCUO,GW2,WoW
    played:SWG,LotRO,CoH,GW,FF14,ESO,AlbionOnline

Have you played the original Guild Wars? If you expect the GW2 cash shop to be any different, I think you need a course in economics.

I actually have played the original Guild Wars and I know exactly what's in the cash shop. Care to point out the prestige potions, weapons and armor that are in the GW's cash shop?

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

I actually have played the original Guild Wars and I know exactly what's in the cash shop. Care to point out the prestige potions, weapons and armor that are in the GW's cash shop?

They are going all out with the CS in GW2. They've stated that it doesn't matter what they put in the cash shop because everyone can get their access to these items without paying (through the ingame gold-gem trading system). GW2 will have an extremely intruisive cash shop, while TSW will have mainly cosmetic items (outfits) and other "nice to have" items (???). The good thing about GW2 is that these items won't effect strutured pvp (except for currency boosts). PvE/WvWvW will be rather P2W however.

Both of the companies and both games are trying to milk out the most money out of the gamers. While GW2 is cheaper to buy/play, it's cash shop requires heavy investing, TSW is more expensive to play (monthly) but requires very little to no investment in the CS. Sure you can play GW2 without spending a dime but it will be extremely painful, mainly because of the very limited inventory space.

In the end with buying GW2 for 60$ gives you a crippled and unbalanced experience which you can even out with spending more money on the CS.

While TSW 60$ + Monthly(10-14$) gives you the optimal and balanced experience with minor improvements from the CS.

The major difference is that GW2 is designed around CS. TSW is designed around monthly payment with extra from CS.

Originally posted by GoldenArrow

They are going all out with the CS in GW2. They've stated that it doesn't matter what they put in the cash shop because everyone can get their access to these items without paying (through the ingame gold-gem trading system). GW2 will have an extremely intruisive cash shop, while TSW will have mainly cosmetic items (outfits) and other "nice to have" items (???). The good thing about GW2 is that these items won't effect strutured pvp (except for currency boosts). PvE/WvWvW will be rather P2W however.

Both of the companies and both games are trying to milk out the most money out of the gamers. While GW2 is cheaper to buy/play, it's cash shop requires heavy investing, TSW is more expensive to play (monthly) but requires very little to no investment in the CS. Sure you can play GW2 without spending a dime but it will be extremely painful, mainly because of the very limited inventory space.

In the end with buying GW2 for 60$ gives you a crippled and unbalanced experience which you can even out with spending more money on the CS.

While TSW 60$ + Monthly(10-14$) gives you the optimal and balanced experience with minor improvements from the CS.

The major difference is that GW2 is designed around CS. TSW is designed around monthly payment with extra from CS.

They are not going "all out" with their CS as is evident by them not going "all out" with GW1's cash shop. Not to mention the numerous inteviews and blog posts describing exactly what to expect from the cash shop. Hell, it's evident by the fact that any person who pre-purchased GW2 can actually log into to the cash shop and view its contents.

The sheer amount of misinformation on your post is staggering. I find it absolutely ridiculous how a person can be so uninformed and yet speak with such conviction. Are you deliberately trying to spread misinformation or do you really not know? Either way, I'm not going to get into what's wrong with your post. It would take too long and frankly this isn't the place to discuss GW2 nor ANet's cash shop philosophy. Needless to say, all of this information is freely available online so if you ever decide to start speaking from an informed position, it takes just 5 minutes on Google.

• VampiresVampires Member Posts: 75

I got the lifetime sub and I'm happy!

They are not going "all out" with their CS as is evident by them not going "all out" with GW1's cash shop. Not to mention the numerous inteviews and blog posts describing exactly what to expect from the cash shop. Hell, it's evident by the fact that any person who pre-purchased GW2 can actually log into to the cash shop and view its contents.

The sheer amount of misinformation on your post is staggering. I find it absolutely ridiculous how a person can be so uninformed and yet speak with such conviction. Are you deliberately trying to spread misinformation or do you really not know? Either way, I'm not going to get into what's wrong with your post. It would take too long and frankly this isn't the place to discuss GW2 nor ANet's cash shop philosophy. Needless to say, all of this information is freely available online so if you ever decide to start speaking from an informed position, it takes just 5 minutes on Google.

I've spent a lot more time on GW2 than you. The shear referance to GW1 CS is so wrong it's not even funny.

Times have changed since GW1 and so have the ideas behind the CS.

Let's just wait for the launch of GW2 and you'll see :>

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991

Have we even seen what the TSW cash shop will look like? I know there were leaks on reddit of the GW2 cash shop. If it is implemented as is I'm not sure what the big deal is, since I don't care if someone wants to buy a 10% experience boost for an hour or a new cosmetic hat or another character slot if 5 isn't enough. However, trying to argue which cash shop is more evil seems a bit silly, since the TSW one is so tightly under wraps.

And for that matter, why do people feel the need to try and troll another game in order to support one they're looking forward to? I want TSW to be good, I love the genre, I like the class system, don't have a lot of faith in Funcom but am willing to wait and see what they offer.

But if you're going to try and knock GW2, at least try and use factual information. Thank you.

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

Originally posted by Charlizzard

Have we even seen what the TSW cash shop will look like? I know there were leaks on reddit of the GW2 cash shop. If it is implemented as is I'm not sure what the big deal is, since I don't care if someone wants to buy a 10% experience boost for an hour or a new cosmetic hat or another character slot if 5 isn't enough. However, trying to argue which cash shop is more evil seems a bit silly, since the TSW one is so tightly under wraps.

And for that matter, why do people feel the need to try and troll another game in order to support one they're looking forward to? I want TSW to be good, I love the genre, I like the class system, don't have a lot of faith in Funcom but am willing to wait and see what they offer.

But if you're going to try and knock GW2, at least try and use factual information. Thank you.

That's bit of a problem since GW2 and TSW are both under NDA.

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991

Originally posted by Charlizzard

That's bit of a problem since GW2 and TSW are both under NDA.

Exactly, which means either a) you don't know, or b) were in a beta, and as such, should know that what's in a beta is not necessarily what is in the final product, and are covered by the NDA. So which is it?

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

• cyress8cyress8 Member Posts: 832

I've spent a lot more time on GW2 than you. The shear referance to GW1 CS is so wrong it's not even funny.

Going to test you real quick, GoldenArrow,  what picture is on the congratulations email you recieved?  Just a quick description of it.

If you cannot answer that.  During the beta what exactly was on your screen to help mitgate leaked pictures?  This one should be easy since you played extensively. 

You can pm the answers if you want.  Just want to see if you are legit.

BOOYAKA!

• Paradigm68Paradigm68 Member UncommonPosts: 890

A. No, its Funcom. that is not a nitpick. The difference between what they propose and what they deliver is enough of a reason. So even if I like the game, I'm certainly not going to vote with my money until I see what they've got.

B. Offering players an opportunity to spend less money than they would IF THEY ENJOYED THE GAME doesn't fill me with confidence. The track record of MMO's that have offered lifetime subs before launch supports this.

So what you're trying to tell me is that there is more to the cash shop that meets the eye? That the person who leaked the cash shop items deliberately withheld some information? That when I logged in to the cash shop with my own account, I didn't see all of the items? Apparently, you have some insider information that no beta tester or member of the press knows.

If you're going to make accusations, you need to back them up with evidence but since you can't, I can tell you for a fact that TSW's cash shop will be P2W and the game itself is designed to nickel and dime you at every turn. How can I know this, you may ask? I spent a lot more time on TSW than you.

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Love the double standards in this thread:

Buying a LTS for TSW? You lose your way to voice dissatisfaction!

Pre-purchase GW2? You're supporting the company!

Cash shop in TSW? Must be pay to win!

Cash shop in GW2? Anet would never put in something giving an unfair advantage!

Stay hypocritical, fanboys.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Originally posted by Paradigm68

A. No, its Funcom. that is not a nitpick. The difference between what they propose and what they deliver is enough of a reason. So even if I like the game, I'm certainly not going to vote with my money until I see what they've got.

B. Offering players an opportunity to spend less money than they would IF THEY ENJOYED THE GAME doesn't fill me with confidence. The track record of MMO's that have offered lifetime subs before launch supports this.

I pretty much agree with this post.

FC has a history. It's a 2 way history. Yes, they have made some good games. But I have said this before, and I'll say it again. Anarchy Online being a great game has been in spite of Funcom not because of Funcom.  They have created some decent games, but they have never launched a successful game. To me, they have much to prove before I would ever give them a dime site unseen

I may be wrong about htis, but AFAIK, LOTRO was the only successful game that offered LTS. Even now, that doesn't really benefit LOTRO. And at the same time, those who did purchase LTS, got kinda screwed. No where near every other LTS subscriber from every other game that offered them. Also, from a business, perspective, I can't imagine why a company would do this if there wasn't something wrong. Either Funcom is short on cash or they know the game is no where near ready. If the game is good, you offer a year out, but LTS? How does LTS benefit Funcom when they could just as easily offered multi month subs. They must really be trying to pull in some cash. Something isn't ringing true here and I don't trust it.

Originally posted by cyress8

Going to test you real quick, GoldenArrow,  what picture is on the congratulations email you recieved?  Just a quick description of it.

If you cannot answer that.  During the beta what exactly was on your screen to help mitgate leaked pictures?  This one should be easy since you played extensively. 

https://beta.guildwars2.com/account/done

The client is watermarked with your account so any picture/clip recorded is going to burn you :J

"Thank you for participating!

Hey everybody,

Thank you for your help with this stress test. We have got everything we need from this test to move forward. Rest assured, your participation has helped been invaluable to us.

The forums are now closed for posting. The test will remain up and running until 1900 PDT/0200 GMT/0300 BST/0400 CEST.

Thank you for your participation. We will hopefully see you all again during the upcoming Beta Weekend Event."

Not going to go in detail since things can still change before the BWE.

The client is watermarked with your account so any picture/clip recorded is going to burn you :J

Hey everybody,

Thank you for your help with this stress test. We have got everything we need from this test to move forward. Rest assured, your participation has helped been invaluable to us.

The forums are now closed for posting. The test will remain up and running until 1900 PDT/0200 GMT/0300 BST/0400 CEST.

Thank you for your participation. We will hopefully see you all again during the upcoming Beta Weekend Event."

You mean yesterday's stress test? LOL

• NethriilNethriil Member Posts: 178
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

Originally posted by Paradigm68

I pretty much agree with this post.

FC has a history. It's a 2 way history. Yes, they have made some good games. But I have said this before, and I'll say it again. Anarchy Online being a great game has been in spite of Funcom not because of Funcom.  They have created some decent games, but they have never launched a successful game. To me, they have much to prove before I would ever give them a dime site unseen

I may be wrong about htis, but AFAIK, LOTRO was the only successful game that offered LTS. Even now, that doesn't really benefit LOTRO. And at the same time, those who did purchase LTS, got kinda screwed. No where near every other LTS subscriber from every other game that offered them. Also, from a business, perspective, I can't imagine why a company would do this if there wasn't something wrong. Either Funcom is short on cash or they know the game is no where near ready. If the game is good, you offer a year out, but LTS? How does LTS benefit Funcom when they could just as easily offered multi month subs. They must really be trying to pull in some cash. Something isn't ringing true here and I don't trust it.

Well this is a business and as such funcom of course wants to show results for their investors. And your Logic seems flawed as its obvious a minority of gamers that buy lts and they ll need to please the 99% others as they need that player base month to month. + u can buy lts after launch if u want. Well maybe they are just stealing our money and on the next flight to Barbados. /sigh
  • ABRaquelABRaquel Member UncommonPosts: 541

Hey everybody,

Not going to go in detail since things can still change before the BWE.

There was no cash shop available at yesterday's Stress Test, nice try though.