Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tower Defense recommendations

kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759

So I am a sucker for tower defense (TD) games, and if you share my weakness read on for inspiration and maybe point me to a good TD I didnt know of.

I have played hundreds of TDs of varying quality, and I thought I would share my list of favorites.

((Flash games))

Bloons TD:

Well made, versatile towers, unique, somewhat challenging, can buy premium stuff but lacks a little on long term playability. Currently at version 5 but the earlier versions are also good. Daily challenges in v5 but they are all trivial.

Gemcraft:

First version called Gemcraft chapter 1, unique idea, challenging, free, but a bit of a clicky frenzy to get good scores.

Second version called Gemcraft chapter 0 (go figure), my personal alltime favorite, when other td's are over this one is just getting started, challanging and highly replayable, free.

Third version called Gemcraft labyrinth is undoubtly the king of TDs. For a start there are 14*14 different maps to play in various modes, graphics looks a bit bland and I actually dismissed it first time I tried due to this but then I saw the light :P. It is free with option to buy premium which will unlock additional modes for extreme xp, however you can complete the entire game without buying. Two warnings, highly addictive, and dont watch any videos on the net it is more fun to find your own tactics.

Cursed treasure:

A nice simple TD, not terribly long but good fun while it last, free.

Random TD 2:

Great concept, possible to tweak it alot to get high scores so very tactical but over too soon, free.

Vector TD:

Versions 1 and 2, free, annoyingly hard, I dont really like this one .. or do I ?

Kingdom rush:

Challenging and tactical, free for some hours and then you need to buy the premium to stand a chance, thought it was a bit expensive for the few extra hours. No doubt well made and fun though.

((Warcraft3 TDs, note some of these TD's may not run with current version of WC3))

Element TD - Great TD, very challenging and tactical, highly replayable.

Gem TD - Unique concept, luck based but fun and tactical.

Power towers - Unique concept, challenging, I had lots of fun playing it as not intended namely handling all 8 players instead of one which made this game very challanging and fun.

Apocalypse - 100 levels, maze like nuts, challenging.

Natures Call - Good old TD, bit simple but still tactical.

Stackers TD - Awesome idea, very challenging and replayable, thumbs up.

Sprout TD 2.1 - Unique concept, tactical and fun .. replay value mostly to get high scores.

Counter Strike TD - Well done, not too hard unless you aim for perfect.

Navy Cross - Fun but short.

Massacre - Old but good td.

TD Survivor rev 3.x - Very hard on hard, can be played as not intended by playing several players at once.

Slams solo TD - no rush, tactical, short but fun.

Zoator Survivor TD - Awesome, highly challenging and replayble.

Islands TD - clickclickclick build build buld faster, fun.

I like big ... TDs and I cannot lie!

Post your favorites.

Comments

• engellenengellen Member UncommonPosts: 83

i love TD games as well but i play them almost exclusively on mobile phones, the one ive definitely spent the most time playing is medieval castle defense for android phones.

played a million mmo's

• NeutorNeutor Member Posts: 101

Well, I was never much on TD games until a friend suggested I try Dungeon Defender with him as a co op game until something else comes along.  354 hours later and we are still playing it.

If you haven't tried it, you should; very fun game and relatively cheap from Steam.

Join us dtguilds.com
  • WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

Defense Grid:  The Awakening?  Pretty fun game for me.  I am not into TD games too much, but I did enjoy that one.

• ShmawShmaw Member Posts: 85

I will second the recommendation for Defence Grid, it's nails.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Originally posted by Worstluck

Defense Grid:  The Awakening

I'll third that one. Also Pixel Junk's Monsters!

EDIT:Shmaw beat me to it. :)

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759

Originally posted by Neutor

Well, I was never much on TD games until a friend suggested I try Dungeon Defender with him as a co op game until something else comes along.  354 hours later and we are still playing it.

If you haven't tried it, you should; very fun game and relatively cheap from Steam.

Looks interesting, read a review once dont remember why I never jumped on. Is it multiplayer only ?

A few multiplayer Warcraft3 I didnt mention: Poker TD a classic, Line tower wars pvp, card shuffle something cant remember the name pvp, zoator s pvp, green circle coop, Morts coop ..

• MehveMehve Member Posts: 487

Defense Grid hits a real sweet spot. The right amount of variety, refinement, and action. Even the DLC levels are surprisingly solid.

Sanctum is a good TD/FPS hybrid, if you happen to be into that sort of thing. Although sniping is a little too powerful, and it's a little DLC-heavy if you don't find it on sale.

Revenge of the Titans was a washout, in my opinion. $5 that I regret spending. Just had a grating feel to it, not smooth at all.

Defenders of Ardania was another real dull one, and the gimick of counterattacking with soldiers just didn't feel interesting at all. It's got a demo available, can try before you buy.

A Modest Proposal for MMORPGs:
    That the means of progression would not be mutually exclusive from the means of enjoyment.

• NeutorNeutor Member Posts: 101

Originally posted by kjempff

Originally posted by Neutor

Looks interesting, read a review once dont remember why I never jumped on. Is it multiplayer only ?

A few multiplayer Warcraft3 I didnt mention: Poker TD a classic, Line tower wars pvp, card shuffle something cant remember the name pvp, zoator s pvp, green circle coop, Morts coop ..

Nope, you can play it single player...survival modes are a ton of fun but I hope you have a lot of time

Join us dtguilds.com
  • ErocketErocket Member Posts: 5

I have spent a lot of time on Warzone Tower Defense, used to play it on coffeebreak or something but now I play it on facebook. It is fairly large and takes a lot of tactics to really get high scores.

• travdotytravdoty Member UncommonPosts: 274

Play Skibi's TD, a native WC3:TFT map. Just look around in the maps folder for it. Kinda like mario party mixed with a TD in that you play mini-games between rounds.

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Originally posted by Loktofeit

Originally posted by Worstluck

Defense Grid:  The Awakening

I'll third that one. Also Pixel Junk's Monsters!

EDIT:Shmaw beat me to it. :)

What the hell, I'll fourth it.  To me, it's still the best of show.

• enzymeenzyme Member UncommonPosts: 464

I will definately recommend:

Defense Grid:The Awakening

Sol Survivor

and a pretty cool, reverse TD game callled Anomaly

all can be found on steam relatively cheap.

Current Games:

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

Definitely pick up Dungeon Defenders.  It's a combination of action RPG + TD.

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759

Thanks, added a few to my list to check out.

Keep em comming.

ps. Not exactly a TD but its close, Creeper World is also one of the best tactical games I have ever tried and highly replayable and a shitload of great player made maps to get (premium is needed dont remember the price). There are two versions and they are very different, I prefer Creeper World 1.

• BigdavoBigdavo Member UncommonPosts: 1,863

I completed Kingdom Rush 100% and never had to pay for any premium. I'm pretty sure its free.

O_o o_O

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

I thought orcs must die was brilliant, had lots of fun with it. Another title on the IOS to check out is Epic War TD, it's probably free now and was surprisingly good. 

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

If you haven't played Defense Grid: The Awakening go play it now! I am not much into TD games but I loved that one.

Dungeon Defenders is a mix between an RPG and TD but it feels like a grind to me. But it has tons of content and a very active multiplayer.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.