Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

About the Trinity....

2»

Comments

• atzer0atzer0 Member Posts: 19

The reason I enjoyed games like GW and will enjoy games like GW2 are gameplay mechanics like this. I was a long time Diablo 2 player before I discovered GW. GW2 reminds me a little of D2 simply because everyone has their heal skill (potion), and there are no defined tank/dps/healing roles to fill.

Part of the reason I was drawn to GW was the lack of typical 'tank' type classes. I played a warrior, but instead of having a skill that forced an enemy mob to attack me, I had to be good at body blocking mobs and preventing them from reaching my team's healers. This is also why Minion Master necromancer's became hugely popular, as the minions did a great job at mobbing and body blocking enemies.

Another reason why I was drawn to GW was the fact that most PVE encounters felt more like a PVP encounter against AI. More often then not, your group would run into a group of AI that would be structured the same way an enemy PVP player group would be e.g. a monk (healer), some ranged casters, some melee DPS. A lot of the mobs in GW actually used the same class-based skills that a human would use. For instance, an AI charr monk would be using skills that a human monk player could also use.

I'd have to say that the main things about GW that I liked were the 'slant' on the typical human player class/group structure, the 'slant' on the typical enemy class/group structure, and the way the skill system worked. (the skill system reminded me of making a deck in MTG)

Every feature that GW2 has brought to the table has me excited, as they've replaced a lot of the things I didn't like about GW (heavy instances, movement system) and added in a bunch of really cool features. I've been waiting for GW2 since the first trailer and can not wait to play; I don't doubt that it will be immensely more fun than the first, and I will enjoy playing it for years to come.

Originally posted by Nailzzz
    The one thing that i miss about the world pre-internet is that people used diary's to write down all the retarded crap they had floating around in there head's and no one ever had to see it.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Originally posted by atzer0

The reason I enjoyed games like GW and will enjoy games like GW2 are gameplay mechanics like this. I was a long time Diablo 2 player before I discovered GW. GW2 reminds me a little of D2 simply because everyone has their heal skill (potion), and there are no defined tank/dps/healing roles to fill.

Part of the reason I was drawn to GW was the lack of typical 'tank' type classes. I played a warrior, but instead of having a skill that forced an enemy mob to attack me, I had to be good at body blocking mobs and preventing them from reaching my team's healers. This is also why Minion Master necromancer's became hugely popular, as the minions did a great job at mobbing and body blocking enemies.

Another reason why I was drawn to GW was the fact that most PVE encounters felt more like a PVP encounter against AI. More often then not, your group would run into a group of AI that would be structured the same way an enemy PVP player group would be e.g. a monk (healer), some ranged casters, some melee DPS. A lot of the mobs in GW actually used the same class-based skills that a human would use. For instance, an AI charr monk would be using skills that a human monk player could also use.

I'd have to say that the main things about GW that I liked were the 'slant' on the typical human player class/group structure, the 'slant' on the typical enemy class/group structure, and the way the skill system worked. (the skill system reminded me of making a deck in MTG)

Every feature that GW2 has brought to the table has me excited, as they've replaced a lot of the things I didn't like about GW (heavy instances, movement system) and added in a bunch of really cool features. I've been waiting for GW2 since the first trailer and can not wait to play; I don't doubt that it will be immensely more fun than the first, and I will enjoy playing it for years to come.

Welcome to the forums. I've got to say, that's one hellova first post, and I fully agree. +1 on all points.

Not only is diablo a really good example (which is kind of ironic, because most people who are obsessed with the trinity mindset are blizzard players), but you also touched one of the main ways in which PvE combat is fun. It is a lot like PvP, you can see the mobs using different tactics. Some are more intelligent, others not so much, but they all are using different builds from the same set of skills, which is actually kind of awesome. Of course there are exceptions to this, but you've kind of nailed some of the best parts of GW and GW2. Well done.

• LucioonLucioon Member UncommonPosts: 819

Originally posted by tordurbar

In answer to the original question by the OP "ok the trinity is gone from GW2, good or bad? " I say removing the Trinity is bad. ArenaNet got rid of the trinity by giving every class self healing, giving every class a combat rez, and making the mob bosses stupid. What they have produced is a mmo fps - which is what most of the newer players (and the studios) want. It is the step before creating a console version. [Sorry got on my soapbox again.] It certainly takes more skill to bring down bosses in GW2 than in the trinity games where the only skillful player had to be the tank. However, I think that "no trinity" mantra is a macho attitude that will backfire. When most of the efforts against bosses fail it will discourage a lot of people from staying with the game. Being a healer in most other mmos and a noob in all of them you can be assurred that I won't be joining any group going against bosses. [I know - good riddance!] Lest you think that I am a hater - I pre-purchased the Digital Deluxe edition. I won't be fighting bosses but there is so much more to this game that is really cool.

Please do understand, they don't need you to stay with the game.

There is no subscription, there is no need to keep you in the game providing you with a carrot on a stick.

The game itself will keep you entertained, if you feel the bosses are too hard, and you stop playing, come back after 6 month, it will still be there kicking your butt.

And thats why alot of players are eagerly waiting for this game, because it shouldn't cave to the players that can't kill the boss.

If you think its too hard, then move on, they are there for those that wants the challenges.

Life is a Maze, so make sure you bring your GPS incase you get lost in it.

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701

Originally posted by DJJazzy

Originally posted by DrunkWolf

Originally posted by OldManFunk

Originally posted by chaintm

The videos to which most I have seen haven't explained it, again it seems to be a mash of players attempting to use their abilities the best they can but with no true organized element.

This video: http://www.gameinformer.com/games/guild_wars_2/b/pc/archive/2012/04/13/guild-wars-2-video-preview.aspx

The dev who is playing explains that you watch your target and friends to know when to react.

Yes, it does seem chaotic at first, until you see what he's reacting to. Yes, this game isn't for everyone. At least we helped save you $60.

damn i really was looking forward to this game but after watching that video somthing has me worried. maybe sombody who knows alot about this game can explain somthing to me.

a few times durring the video people he was fighting would just turn invisible, even he did it himself a few times durring pvp.

to me this is a game breaker, nothing worse than having people just dissapear durring a fight. its a cheap mechanic that should NEVER be in pvp.

is this somthing that every person can do? and when they turn invis how long does it last ?

Mesmers and Thiefs have "stealth" abilities yes. The Mesmer even has a group stealth ability.

i dont like the word stealth because thats not what is happening. people are flat out turning invisible infront of your eyes AND while in combat. when i see this i think they should be mages or somthing because thats some powerfull magic going on.

anyways everybody can heal but only 2 classes can turn invisible while in combat. is there a reason to pick any other class for pvp?

and please dont confuse this with some hate thread im only asking because i really want to know how this is going to go down. i want to play this game but im tired of getting scammed by MMOs.

damn i really was looking forward to this game but after watching that video somthing has me worried. maybe sombody who knows alot about this game can explain somthing to me.

a few times durring the video people he was fighting would just turn invisible, even he did it himself a few times durring pvp.

to me this is a game breaker, nothing worse than having people just dissapear durring a fight. its a cheap mechanic that should NEVER be in pvp.

is this somthing that every person can do? and when they turn invis how long does it last ?

What MMO doesn't have this mechanic in one form or another?

Asherons Call had the best pvp i ever played. no cheap gimic mechanics like CC and invisible shit, just skill to kill your enemys.

• ropeniceropenice Member UncommonPosts: 588

Originally posted by itgrowls

Alls i'm going to say is this.

The rest of you (not the OP) who hate the combat in the game will still be on here spewing some nonsense about some other title, maybe even about this one, while those of us who know the value of GW2 will be happily in the world running around enjoying ourselves, without the unecessary subscription, without the need to buy anything in the store unless we would like to.

I will be personally running dungeons and open world final events on my engineer throwing out aoe pots, turrets, spewing out alchemical awesomeness, and dropping crates of healing equipment all to help out my happy fun time friends. Enjoy your vitriol, they make antacids for that.

I didn't see any vitriol in this hread. Actually, it has been one of the most politely discussed thread about GW2 I've seen. If someone doesn't like the combat or another feature, no need to bash them.

It will be hard to tell how fun the combat is until we try it out ourselves, but I, for onr, will not miss the trinity approach, as it has becomes stale and boring to me. A little chaotic-coordination loooks like it will be fun once getting used to it. I really like the fact that you have different skills with the different weapons sets, so you don't get stuck with just one style of fighting. Even in games without this feature, I still will switch weapons around some during a fight to get the effects of different magci effects on weapons.

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

The videos to which most I have seen haven't explained it, again it seems to be a mash of players attempting to use their abilities the best they can but with no true organized element.

This video: http://www.gameinformer.com/games/guild_wars_2/b/pc/archive/2012/04/13/guild-wars-2-video-preview.aspx

The dev who is playing explains that you watch your target and friends to know when to react.

Yes, it does seem chaotic at first, until you see what he's reacting to. Yes, this game isn't for everyone. At least we helped save you $60.

Mesmers and Thiefs have "stealth" abilities yes. The Mesmer even has a group stealth ability.

i dont like the word stealth because thats not what is happening. people are flat out turning invisible infront of your eyes AND while in combat. when i see this i think they should be mages or somthing because thats some powerfull magic going on.

anyways everybody can heal but only 2 classes can turn invisible while in combat. is there a reason to pick any other class for pvp?

and please dont confuse this with some hate thread im only asking because i really want to know how this is going to go down. i want to play this game but im tired of getting scammed by MMOs.

stealth, invisibility, same thing really for what we are talking about. There is no perma stealth feature. Everything is very limited in time. Really you are going to be hard pressed to find an mmo that doesn't have some sort of invisbility/stealth feature in the game.

Anyway, each profession has their strengths. It is up to you to maximize your strength while countering the opponent and exploiting their weakness. 

• OldManFunkOldManFunk Member Posts: 894

What MMO doesn't have this mechanic in one form or another?

Asherons Call had the best pvp i ever played. no cheap gimic mechanics like CC and invisible shit, just skill to kill your enemys.

Ah, ya, I played Asheron's Call... well, let us all know how you're doing in AC while we're playing GW2.

• Sora2810Sora2810 Member Posts: 567

In a way yeah. Teamwork is a heavy part of encounters still. The only difference is that you're responsible for yourself. 

Played - M59, EQOA, EQ, EQ2, PS, SWG[Favorite], DAoC, UO, RS, MXO, CoH/CoV, TR, FFXI, FoM, WoW, Eve, Rift, SWTOR, TSW.
    Playing - PS2, AoW, GW2

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

Originally posted by Zillen

Originally posted by colddog04

It's going to be way different than what you are used to. A lot of the reviewers would say that based on their beta experience, the group content felt way different than what they were used to. I think Total Biscuit said that he thought it might actually deter a lot of the people that usually play MMORPGs.

And I think you are right to a degree. Everyone is, for the most part, a DPS. Even the most heal specced Guardian or Elementalist is still basically going to be doing damage. Where the teamwork comes into play is how you manage cooldowns with the rest of your party.

For instance, lets say there is a boss that is pure melee for whatever reason. So your group decides that they want to kite him the whole fight and take as little damage as possible. You try and find people with snares or roots to help you keep him locked down and then decide on an order to lay down the CC. 

This type of planning for an encounter reminds me a lot of Arena PvP. The whole "see what they have, see what we have and counter" thing. I think that this game is going to take more skill and coordination inside dungeons than seen previously. Of course this will depend on how hard they tune these things.

Anyway, yes, it'll be different. It might turn a lot of people off. It might turn you off. But it also might be really rewarding if you put in the time.

Mm....I like.

I just hope it doesn't turn out like "modern" MMO Arena PvP, where two paladins or [insert generic hybrid class] spells certain doom for the opposing side. They MUST make sure the classes balance in structured PvP and dungeons.

In a couple videos i say they i recall them saying that classes are balanced rather well atm and it still in beta so u can assume they will remain balance or closer, Anet also mention due to the lower amount of skill and there current edited system they have for skill there able to change 100 skill in 5 minute or less to make balances quicker and (testing how balance thing are faster)

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005

I don't see invisibility any different than stunning someone or teleportation.  It's a limited ability.  And you will have some game changing abilities too.  

• wowfan1996wowfan1996 Member UncommonPosts: 719

Yeah, a 12 years old half-MMO that peaked at 120k subs is the example everyone should follow. /facepalm

MMORPG genre is dead. Long live MMOCS (Massively Multiplayer Online Cash Shop).

• GrimfateGrimfate Member Posts: 7

I was a pretty big skeptic about this whole remove the trinity thing at first as well. Then after watching videos of pve content I was sold when they allowed bosses to be knocked down silenced crippled etc.  From day one of raiding or boss fighting in wow i always hated that Infamous "Immune" yellow text that popped up on a boss fight. Nothing is more annoying then having all these CC abilities just to compromised because the devs didnt want to make it skill based. I think gw2 is different because this system has been implemented from the start. In wow you needed that immunity because you could effectivily stun lock the piss outta a boss for most of the fight... in guild wars this is alot more complicated because the stuns and conditions dont last as long. Then there is the dodge mechanic that sorta reminds of Demon souls dodge mechanic, for the most part it mitigates all damage for the period of the roll. This makes dodging attacks and surviving based off your own skill more important making each character accountable which is something that ALWAYS plagued LFG. If the tank died it was the healers fault if the healered died it was the tanks fault if the boss lived to long and enraged it was both the tank and the healers fault and maybe that pesky dps who was picking his nose. In this you heal yourself, and it requires a sense of awareness where you gotta know ur life and ur capabilites to take damage. So it comes down to team work, from the first time I saw TB playing ascalon dungeon I realized that utility is going to be key for taking down bosses. For example Engineer with a flame thrower has blast back and pull think about that viability for a second. If someone goes down and the boss is trying to finish him off you can pull the boss to you to get him off your buddy then after you take a shot you blast him away then roll to get more distance. In a game like wow this isnt possible because most knock backs cant be used on bosses. I think this will create the most dynamic and fun gameplay and in 6 months we might be saying "Why did we ever need that trinity".  I also think the trinity cripples PVP balance as well but thats a whole nother line of thought ment for another day

stealth, invisibility, same thing really for what we are talking about. There is no perma stealth feature. Everything is very limited in time. Really you are going to be hard pressed to find an mmo that doesn't have some sort of invisbility/stealth feature in the game.

Anyway, each profession has their strengths. It is up to you to maximize your strength while countering the opponent and exploiting their weakness. 

when you say very limited in time, how much time are we talking about?   I just dont think people understand how powerfull this is going to be in pvp. people are just so blinded by the fact that GW2 is omg so awsome and i cant wait that they arnt actually looking at stuff like this as a big issue.

the ability to dissapear IN COMBAT and then heal youself is HUGE! 

Originally posted by wowfan1996

Yeah, a 12 years old half-MMO that peaked at 120k subs is the example everyone should follow. /facepalm

obviously you didnt even play AC. but yes it should be used as a example, a game that has lasted 12 years and has done a monthly update adding content every single month for 12 years.

a game that still has the best and most savage pvp server in MMO history. a server were you wow carebears wouldnt last 10 min.

• TheYear1500TheYear1500 Member UncommonPosts: 531

when you say very limited in time, how much time are we talking about?   I just dont think people understand how powerfull this is going to be in pvp. people are just so blinded by the fact that GW2 is omg so awsome and i cant wait that they arnt actually looking at stuff like this as a big issue.

Only a few sec.  There are only two skills that are linked to weapons that let you stealth, and they require you to hit for it to happen.  All the others are 4-5 sec on a 40-60 sec CD.  There is a build (if it has not been nerfed) that let someone perma stealth.  

Now you still take damage from dots, aoe's while stealthed.  Also dots show as damage over your head while stealthed.   While stealthed you do become u targetable.  

Keep in mind this is one of the only means of defense that Thief's have, other Prof get many ways of decreasing or being immune to damage. 

While the game is far from balanced at the moment you can see that stealth does not give a Prof an advantage, its only a tool.   

• wowfan1996wowfan1996 Member UncommonPosts: 719

a game that still has the best and most savage pvp server in MMO history. a server were you wow carebears wouldnt last 10 min.
    You can't even deal with CC and you call WoW players carebears? Now that's rich.

MMORPG genre is dead. Long live MMOCS (Massively Multiplayer Online Cash Shop).

• TheYear1500TheYear1500 Member UncommonPosts: 531

obviously you didnt even play AC. but yes it should be used as a example, a game that has lasted 12 years and has done a monthly update adding content every single month for 12 years.

LOL try playing a real PVP game EVE online.  than come back and say AC is the most savage pvp server. 

Originally posted by TheYear1500

Only a few sec.  There are only two skills that are linked to weapons that let you stealth, and they require you to hit for it to happen.  All the others are 4-5 sec on a 40-60 sec CD.  There is a build (if it has not been nerfed) that let someone perma stealth.  

Now you still take damage from dots, aoe's while stealthed.  Also dots show as damage over your head while stealthed.   While stealthed you do become u targetable.  

Keep in mind this is one of the only means of defense that Thief's have, other Prof get many ways of decreasing or being immune to damage. 

While the game is far from balanced at the moment you can see that stealth does not give a Prof an advantage, its only a tool.   

finally sombody with a real answer, thanks for the info.

Originally posted by TheYear1500

LOL try playing a real PVP game EVE online.  than come back and say AC is the most savage pvp server. 

just my opinion, and i give EVE hella props its a real pvp game. the wow carebears wouldnt last 10 min in that one either.