Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TERA to be the sleeper hit of 2012......

Comments

• tharkthark Member UncommonPosts: 1,188

Originally posted by burdock2

With all these other high profile MMOs running ramparnt atm (SWTOR/TSW/GW2) I feel that TERA might just be that sleeper that makes a bigger spalsh than people are predicting. I tried out the CBT but didnt really get into it much as I knew my character was going to be deleted, I didnt want to get too attached. Now that Open Beta is upon us and we actually get to keep the character through to launch (normally unheard of) then I can really sink my teeth in.

This will be what Final Fantasy XIV and AION should have been (for the western audience) and I forsee a smooth laucnh.

Not to mention, it will knock Age of Conan off for being the best looking MMO. I simply have not seen better graphics (better than GW2 too) on PC, EVER!! Thats right, this has to be the most beautiful piece of electronic artwork I have ever seen!

If you have not seen it in action, you are missing it!

TERA for MMO GAME OF THE YEAR!!

I have seen it in action..And NO..Tera does NOT have better graphics than AoC..

It looked  nice but also rather plain and simple..To clean ...Not even close to AoC..

And No it's not a matter of taste even..

• Cthulhu23Cthulhu23 Member Posts: 994

Originally posted by thark

I have seen it in action..And NO..Tera does NOT have better graphics than AoC..

It looked  nice but also rather plain and simple..To clean ...Not even close to AoC..

And No it's not a matter of taste even..

Well, I think it does look better than AoC, so obviously it is a matter of taste.  

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005

I fought trees for 10 levels.  I collected 10 of this and 10 of that.  I needed to defeat trees, but higher level trees did not count against my count. I dont know, I'd think that killing the general would be treated the same or worst than killing the lesser ranking soldiers

I just don't see this being in the top 5 this year. It has one gimick, a reactionary combat system.  It'll be stable, find a niche crowd, but the last game that had a one hit gimick (Rift), its still the same ole game with a differnet combat mod and grinding questing that throws the window out of logic and fun 

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558

Originally posted by BigBadWolfe

What this game has going for is that unlike most launches Tera has a year of polish behind it, and En Masse keeps making changes to the game for the better.  It's cute to see people that can't make it past level 20 trolling the game, but once the game is out and people hit level 60 all that trolling will stop.  Everybody knows endgame is where the money is at, and Tera's endgame is unique to every other MMO out there thanks to the political system.  Guilds will be fighting over Vanarch for months.

Another thing is that GW2 still doesn't have a release date,  I think if the game was going to come out in June, or July they would have said something by now.  If the game gets pushed back to September release with an Open beta in August, Tera will have all summer to clean house.

A whole summer is way too long for even the most hardened GW2 fan to sit around with their thumbs up their butts.

First it was get off the beginners isle. Now it s level 20, I got passed both and the game still was to me anyways, very boring. Political system, and it s vanarch, will be owned by people who have absolutely no life, so no big loss there if it s not in other games. GW2 will release before september, I m even sure we ll see some sort of announcment, before or shortly after Tera releases. It s cute to see fanbois that haven t seen end game get all gushy over something that could be as boring as the rest of the game.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

Originally posted by dontadow

I fought trees for 10 levels.  I collected 10 of this and 10 of that.  I needed to defeat trees, but higher level trees did not count against my count. I dont know, I'd think that killing the general would be treated the same or worst than killing the lesser ranking soldiers

I just don't see this being in the top 5 this year. It has one gimick, a reactionary combat system.  It'll be stable, find a niche crowd, but the last game that had a one hit gimick (Rift), its still the same ole game with a differnet combat mod and grinding questing that throws the window out of logic and fun 

um, what game have you played where if you fought the same but higher level mobs it would count toward your quests?

I've tried and played many of these games and I can't think of a one. Sorry but that's not really a great excuse. That you hate killing 10 of this and 10 of that is a much better reason on its own.

As far as the quests, i think some people are too hung up on those. In some ways this really is a Korean Grinder that isn't a korean grinder.

You can literally go out nad grind out mobs if yuo want and in many cases get almost as much as going out, killing 20 of something and going all the way back.

Just like Lineage 2 where grinding mobs "wasn't the game" the same can be seen in Tera.

The game, and why some are finding this game a draw, is about an open world and possbilities. For pvp servers it's about the open pvp, wars, alliances, etc. For pve servers it's about exploring, fighting monster hunter type monsters and just enjoying the world as it comes.

In the last beta I did quests in a group that sort of "just happened". I didn't care about the quests but did care about meeting someone who needed help, calling our guildmates and then completing our objectives. I haven't had so much fun in this way since Aion and definitly L2.

The quests are incidental even though they give xp. Not to say some won't like the story but its' the large world and a more old school feel that some players are graviting toward.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

Originally posted by Sovrath

um, what game have you played where if you fought the same but higher level mobs it would count toward your quests?

I've tried and played many of these games and I can't think of a one. Sorry but that's not really a great excuse. That you hate killing 10 of this and 10 of that is a much better reason on its own.

As far as the quests, i think some people are too hung up on those. In some ways this really is a Korean Grinder that isn't a korean grinder.

You can literally go out nad grind out mobs if yuo want and in many cases get almost as much as going out, killing 20 of something and going all the way back.

Just like Lineage 2 where grinding mobs "wasn't the game" the same can be seen in Tera.

The game, and why some are finding this game a draw, is about an open world and possbilities. For pvp servers it's about the open pvp, wars, alliances, etc. For pve servers it's about exploring, fighting monster hunter type monsters and just enjoying the world as it comes.

In the last beta I did quests in a group that sort of "just happened". I didn't care about the quests but did care about meeting someone who needed help, calling our guildmates and then completing our objectives. I haven't had so much fun in this way since Aion and definitly L2.

The quests are incidental even though they give xp. Not to say some won't like the story but its' the large world and a more old school feel that some players are graviting toward.

+1 to all this.  I felt the same way.  The first game I can remember not caring about completing the quests, because I was enjoying just going out an interacting with the world and challenging myself against interesting mobs.  

• asianbboy101asianbboy101 Member Posts: 82

When I think of Tera...lolitas and the land of pedophiles...sorry..its true...at least for me. 

• MehveMehve Member Posts: 487

A big part of the their long-term success will be improving the initial game experience. Way too many people giving up before getting to the better stuff, thanks to some fairly lame starter stuff. It's comforting at least, that the issue is recognized and steps are being taken to improve it. I think I'm actually looking forward to running the start island again, and seeing if I can feel the changes.

A Modest Proposal for MMORPGs:
    That the means of progression would not be mutually exclusive from the means of enjoyment.

• Deron_BarakDeron_Barak Member Posts: 1,136
    Ignorance can't always be helped.

Just not worth my time anymore.

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698

Originally posted by Castran

TERA failed in Korea and it'll do the same here. The Secret World has a better chance at being successful, meanwhile Guild Wars 2 will be a guaranteed hit.

Not bad for a first post, probably right on the money.

• AtriokkeAtriokke Member Posts: 13

Originally posted by Steazy

Tera was verry rushed in Korea ....  Im stoked they are waiting for the game to have more features,  launching with a 60 cap for NA.  I would take a open world type game over an instanced one any day.  Nothing gets as lame as an instanced out game at end game, or not having any open world pvp.  Tera has alot of potential for sure, cant wait to see how this next year unfolds for the game.

I have to agree that instanced out games tend to break it(they make the world less engaging).  At least thats why i didnt play Guild Wars.  Im hoping Guild Wars 2 doesnt follow in those footsteps.  

Aions grind at ~30 was SOOOOO extreme that I have no idea why it was such a hit in Asia, thats about the level i said, TO HELL WIT DIS.   They most definitely have another idea of what fun entails, not sure why this is though. 

May the richest person win!!

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

Originally posted by Atriokke

Aions grind at ~30 was SOOOOO extreme that I have no idea why it was such a hit in Asia, thats about the level i said, TO HELL WIT DIS.   They most definitely have another idea of what fun entails, not sure why this is though. 

!

Really?

I find that hard to believe as lvl 30+ was fairly easy. Heck, in the 30's it took a day to get a lvl. late 40's it took longer.

I supppose after Lineage 2 everythign must seem easy and if one has played games like WoW or CoX then things seem longer? not sure.

In any case, Tera up to the 30's is a breeze to level.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • JurredJurred Member UncommonPosts: 47

Originally posted by Mehve

A big part of the their long-term success will be improving the initial game experience. Way too many people giving up before getting to the better stuff, thanks to some fairly lame starter stuff. It's comforting at least, that the issue is recognized and steps are being taken to improve it. I think I'm actually looking forward to running the start island again, and seeing if I can feel the changes.

Exactly.

• rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428

Originally posted by ipeka

As long they are commited to solve TERA's biggest tick , which is the lack of end-game content. I think this game is going somehwere , not WoW-killer , but it will probably take a place for subscription-based game.

beating SWTOR is a hard bt not impossible imo .

Omg already solved how nice.

Originally posted by jpnole

Originally posted by Castran

TERA failed in Korea and it'll do the same here. The Secret World has a better chance at being successful, meanwhile Guild Wars 2 will be a guaranteed hit.

Not bad for a first post, probably right on the money.

not bad expect for the fact its completely wrong.

Originally posted by Jurred

Exactly.

Well we getting a new starting zone obt so guess we will wait and see.

Originally posted by Deron_Barak

http://tera.enmasse.com/new-launch-features

Dungeons are at the bottom. Keep in mind these are only the instances.

Thanks for that link.  That actually looks pretty damn cool for endgame content.  Didn't realize it would have that much at launch.  I was under the impression that this game would lack some content initially at endgame.  

Man, I had a lot of misconceptions about this game.  

• Sector13Sector13 Member UncommonPosts: 784

Originally posted by Cthulhu23

Thanks for that link.  That actually looks pretty damn cool for endgame content.  Didn't realize it would have that much at launch.  I was under the impression that this game would lack some content initially at endgame.  

It did lack content at launch, this is a 15 month old game. =P

• MehveMehve Member Posts: 487

It did. All those failure stories about the KR and JP versions? True. End-game content was a serious issue then, and they were bleeding subs like their throat got cut. But since then, a lot of new content was made, and we're getting it from the very start. As bizarre and unlikely as it sounds, the NA/EU version seems to have actually learned a few things from past mistakes.

A Modest Proposal for MMORPGs:
    That the means of progression would not be mutually exclusive from the means of enjoyment.

Originally posted by Sector13

It did lack content at launch, this is a 15 month old game. =P

Good point.  I based a lot of my initial opinion of the game off the KTERA launch.  

• rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428

It did. All those failure stories about the KR and JP versions? True. End-game content was a serious issue then, and they were bleeding subs like their throat got cut. But since then, a lot of new content was made, and we're getting it from the very start. As bizarre and unlikely as it sounds, the NA/EU version seems to have actually learned a few things from past mistakes.

It failed in Japan coz it was too expansive, 35 dollar a month was pretty riduclious.

• mithranftwmithranftw Member Posts: 14

Originally posted by gr0und3d

Isn't that the whole point of this thread?  Sleeper..... meaning it doesn't have the hype that it could.

This!

Originally posted by rexzshadow

It failed in Japan coz it was too expansive, 35 dollar a month was pretty riduclious.

The PvP was pretty bad as well and I guess there was no "open" pvp.  You walked up to someone and "challeneged" them and after 10 seconds the fight would begin.  That was just long enough for someone to run if they didn't want to be attacked lol.  The game in Korea and that we are getting here is a vastly improved version of what originally released in Korea.

I'm just glad they stepped up and changed the game to the state it should have been at launch.  I know the speed of updates will drop from what it is now but I hope they keep the momentum going.

• L3nnyGpL3nnyGp Member UncommonPosts: 153

Originally posted by darkbamy

tera being a hit? not by a long shot...if a game already fails in japan AND korea then yer doing something wrong

I don't know if you're joking, trolling or what?

It just sux to see how just mis-informed and ignorant some people are, especially when it comes to statements such as this. Especially when none of the people never back it up with evidence of any kind.

TERA is by no means failing in Korea, even after one year or so of release; it is still ranked among the Top 10 most played. Sitting at about rank 8 and about 3rd if you place the games in categories (MMORPG).

Furthermore, saying a title (MMO) will fail cuz it did in Korea holds no weight or meaning what so ever. I don't want to stereo-type players, but generally speaking: Koreans and NA gamers are two types of completely different MMO gamers. An example of an obvious difference in the successfulness of an MMO amongst our cultures, is the MMO AION (enough said).

I'll show some sort of proof here:

1. I went to a Korean site:        www.gamemeca.com    

2. Went to the ranking section (middle right with blue bird):

3. Clicked this link the word  ???more

4. Another window pops up with a list of ranked games.

5. Highlighted      8 ??    and copied it.

6. Open google translate, then paste it. You should get "8 TERA."  Meaning TERA is ranked 8 of all games played in Korea, not all of the games are MMOs.

7. You can also highlight:            2012? 04? 04? ~ 2012? 04? 10?? ???????.    

Which when translated says the date and abit of info about a 10-day ranking system, located at the top of the above picture. So I highly doubt TERA is failing in Korea, though people will probably still come to that conlusion regardless of what info you show them.

• L3nnyGpL3nnyGp Member UncommonPosts: 153

Hello! I like TERA and many other MMOs that will eventually be released. Titles like AA, SW, GW2, WoD, B&S, PS2 and soo much more that will release in the future. I just hope MMO devs keep doing their best to innovate, keeping the competition on the path to one day produce a (AAA) title. That we can all finally say, "This is it! The MMO we've  been searching for..." One day...

Just felt like filling this post / section with something positive...  image

• Sector13Sector13 Member UncommonPosts: 784

I've always said TERA will be a niche game and it is even in Korea. Yes, while it's currently at 8th in the rankings. It's still only at 2.53% of overall market shares. This means that for the last half year at least, it has not gained or lost many people. It's keeping a rather steady playerbase. The main reason it gets higher ranks is cause other games fluxuate above or below it which changes quite often depending on the month or the current trend. A lot of what has changed with the Korean gaming market is League of Legends which even pushed Aion down. I can say that a lot of people most likely moved to play LoL but TERA kept it's steady playerbase. But even so, when considering the cost of the game, a 2.5% market share isn't what I would call a success. 

Originally posted by Sector13

I've always said TERA will be a niche game and it is even in Korea. Yes, while it's currently at 8th in the rankings. It's still only at 2.53% of overall market shares. This means that for the last half year at least, it has not gained or lost many people. It's keeping a rather steady playerbase. The main reason it gets higher ranks is cause other games fluxuate above or below it which changes quite often depending on the month or the current trend. A lot of what has changed with the Korean gaming market is League of Legends which even pushed Aion down. I can say that a lot of people most likely moved to play LoL but TERA kept it's steady playerbase. But even so, when considering the cost of the game, a 2.5% market share isn't what I would call a success. 

True, which underlines how important it is to have a solid, complete product and have a smooth launch.  To be fair, KTERA released a lot of content just recently but I wouldn't expect them to reach any higher than #5.  Over here it could be more interesting since it will be a solid and complete product with a probable smooth launch.  We'll see.  I still think TERA's sub numbers will build over time.