Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone else avoiding this game for the first 3-6 months due to the unrealistic hype?

Comments

• silvermembersilvermember Member UncommonPosts: 526

Originally posted by thinktank001

Originally posted by just1opinion

How many threads have we had now warning us away from pre-purchase? I've lost count. Seriously though? What kind of adult are you if you actually CARE what other people think about financial decisions you make regarding your hobby? I don't consult with my Mommy in this regard, so I'm certainly not going to consult with a bunch of strangers and seek their approval for my expenditures. I do my own research and make my own decisions. This is part of what "grownups" do. Good grief. Yes, I do think it's THAT ridiculous.

An outside perspective can show things that would have never been considered.  A game will always look like a rose until the glasses are taken off.  Getting opinions and discussing things are what real "grownups" do.   Doing research and forming my own opinion is what I did when I was 20.    

There is nothing wrong with outside perspective, but just because it is outside doesn't make it better. If after reading everything Arenanet has said and watching the videos on youtube and you are still not feeling it, then wait for a free try. One of the things I have noticed is that online they are usually 2 types of opinions, fanboys and haters, both of them  suck and don't really tell you anything. The fanboys will gloss over things and the haters will make mountain out of molehills AND make up stuff to justify their POV. Some people say reviewer opinion, but I have come to the conclusion that most reviewers don't know anything or are biased or even paid, not because they opinions are different from mine, but because they gloss over things you wont expect i.e skyrim technical  problems.

Also I do enjoy you saying "grown ups" because if you want a real discussion, going to a game forum is the LAST place you actually want to go to.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Originally posted by silvermember

How many threads have we had now warning us away from pre-purchase? I've lost count. Seriously though? What kind of adult are you if you actually CARE what other people think about financial decisions you make regarding your hobby? I don't consult with my Mommy in this regard, so I'm certainly not going to consult with a bunch of strangers and seek their approval for my expenditures. I do my own research and make my own decisions. This is part of what "grownups" do. Good grief. Yes, I do think it's THAT ridiculous.

An outside perspective can show things that would have never been considered.  A game will always look like a rose until the glasses are taken off.  Getting opinions and discussing things are what real "grownups" do.   Doing research and forming my own opinion is what I did when I was 20.    

There is nothing wrong with outside perspective, but just because it is outside doesn't make it better. If after reading everything Arenanet has said and watching the videos on youtube and you are still not feeling it, then wait for a free try. One of the things I have noticed is that online they are usually 2 types of opinions, fanboys and haters, both of them  suck and don't really tell you anything. The fanboys will gloss over things and the haters will make mountain out of molehills AND make up stuff to justify their POV. Some people say reviewer opinion, but I have come to the conclusion that most reviewers don't know anything or are biased or even paid, not because they opinions are different from mine, but because they gloss over things you wont expect i.e skyrim technical  problems.

Also I do enjoy you saying "grown ups" because if you want a real discussion, going to a game forum is the LAST place you actually want to go to.

That may be true, but if you go by age alone....most people on this site are over 25, so technically.....adults with a gaming hobby, so....I don't really see the need to eliminate this as A source, it's just not THE source for acurate information.  And with all the negativity around here that is just for the SAKE of negativity.....it's not the best place to even come for NO reason, much less help in making decisions on anything.  lol

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

Originally posted by silvermember

That may be true, but if you go by age alone....most people on this site are over 25, so technically.....adults with a gaming hobby, so....I don't really see the need to eliminate this as A source, it's just not THE source for acurate information.  And with all the negativity around here that is just for the SAKE of negativity.....it's not the best place to even come for NO reason, much less help in making decisions on anything.  lol

Lets look at this from another view: Wikipedia. it would technically be a great source for information but due to its very nature (very open), you cannot use the information as a source for discussion because they is a chance someone altered the information to suit their needs. The same problems lies with forums and to a lesser extent fansites. The fanboys going to these forums usually want "their" game to look good and win, the haters have same objective but for their game. So now, you got enough missinformation going around that you really cant the opinions due to how much bias both sides have. Eventually there is enough bias in the air where an adult dicussion cannot happen w/o it spiraling out of control.

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

Originally posted by Monorojo

I'm sorry but I have been tricked by this level of hype before and I will not be tricked again. With the (arguably) pay to win model, the incredibly simplistic combat, the unbalanced zerg fest that is WvWvW, etc....I just do not see what the fanatics are smoking.

I have high hopes for Guild Wars 2 but will not be playing until the unrealistic hype is crushed and the game is brought back down to earth.

ANet is not BioWare.   And this isn't SWTOR which is nothing more than a third-rate WoW knock-off.      And NCSoft isn't EA.

These, as a group, are generally not the promise pie in the sky and lobersters for lunch uber-hype guys.   They build technically good games that function well even on low-end machines and are, frankly, really good looking.   They keep their promises to a minimum and I've never played a game of theirs that has failed to meet the expectations one can draw from their comments.

• pags411pags411 Member Posts: 98

Is anyone else irked by the person who commented that doing research and forming your own opinion is something for young adults to do?  Is that why the country is in its current state?

As you get older, you'll change yet again.  You'll come to realize that you need to form your own opinions with as much objective information as you can obtain before tempering it against the opinions of others.  You can't debate anything without a platform.

• Nadya3Nadya3 Member Posts: 348

Swtor comes to mind.  huge hype, lots of promissing things.    and then a huge let down, a waste of 70 euros, and one more game box getting dust on a shelve.

best reviewers for me, are people i happen to know irl, and share similar interests.  this is why i  rather let them try the game first!p

i give a damn what anyone else says, iether bad or good.  there is always gonna be bias opinions based on many things.

• SorrowbringaSorrowbringa Member Posts: 8

I'm gonna hold off, I need accurate numbers on system specs etc, I've read there is alot of slideshow action in regards to WvWvW when there is more than 5v5 action in combat and have seen it mentioned in previews and videos too (sure fraps etc take up memory but those not running such progs have clearly identified it as an issue in honest previews. That stuff (lag, tearing, rubber-banding, slideshowing etc) just ruins immersion for me... hoping they get it sorted!

• LucioonLucioon Member UncommonPosts: 819

Originally posted by Sorrowbringa

I'm gonna hold off, I need accurate numbers on system specs etc, I've read there is alot of slideshow action in regards to WvWvW when there is more than 5v5 action in combat and have seen it mentioned in previews and videos too (sure fraps etc take up memory but those not running such progs have clearly identified it as an issue in honest previews. That stuff (lag, tearing, rubber-banding, slideshowing etc) just ruins immersion for me... hoping they get it sorted!

Where did you see or read that. From all the press beta footages I saw for W v W v W, there wasn't any lag that can be detected.

Where did you see the slide show actions.

I know Slide Show actions and huge Lags, and thats from playing SWTOR in Ilum fights. And i did not notice or see any evidence for GW2. Please provide a link to the source because it will be interesting to read and see it.

I saw 5 v 5 structure PVP videos and it was ran smoothly, i saw W v W action and it was extremely smooth. So please prove me wrong.

Life is a Maze, so make sure you bring your GPS incase you get lost in it.

• micaelmoraismicaelmorais Member Posts: 88

I will wait for a trial before buy GW2, i think the gave is overhyper, and i dont see nothing exciting about this game just another generic MMO.

And i heard the game will have a catshop similar to PWI AND ROM, i played both and this system is a pain in ass, but i hope be wrong.

I will be avoiding chat for all the QQ about raids after the first few weeks, same with the forums.

• StriderXedStriderXed Member Posts: 257

Originally posted by micaelmorais

I will wait for a trial before buy GW2, i think the gave is overhyper, and i dont see nothing exciting about this game just another generic MMO.

And i heard the game will have a catshop similar to PWI AND ROM, i played both and this system is a pain in ass, but i hope be wrong.

The fuck? o.O Where did you hear this?

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150

Originally posted by StriderXed

Sorry dude - pissed me off too.  I'll probably still play just to see if they wake up and turn cash shop into cosmetic only items.  As I can see it now, you can literally buy to win in pvp - or at least be uber competitive with a credit card.

Other than just buying gems (which is bad enough), you can buy character slots which I believe will be 9.99 like in GW1, storage expansion, etc.  There's more, I just have a minute though.

What folks are forgetting with anything that does not have a monthly sub, is money MUST be made.  And this will always include more than cosmetic items.  That's just life with the non sub games.  Sucks and is true.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

Originally posted by Comaf

Sorry dude - pissed me off too.  I'll probably still play just to see if they wake up and turn cash shop into cosmetic only items.  As I can see it now, you can literally buy to win in pvp - or at least be uber competitive with a credit card.

You absolutely cannot win in PvP via a cash shop. There is nothing there which gives you any sort of an edge against another player or NPC.

• Question0Question0 Member Posts: 4

Other than just buying gems (which is bad enough), you can buy character slots which I believe will be 9.99 like in GW1, storage expansion, etc.  There's more, I just have a minute though.

What folks are forgetting with anything that does not have a monthly sub, is money MUST be made.  And this will always include more than cosmetic items.  That's just life with the non sub games.  Sucks and is true.

Care to explain how you gonna earn that edge by investing real money in the Cash shop, with the information available so far it doesn't seem like it, but hey you appearntly know something, other's don't, so speak up.

• VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817

I hope you mean cash shop, but if yer serious this is the first i have read about GW2 selling cats in game.

Lolipops !

• AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940

If you buy enough cats, you can literally hold a fort alone in WvW,, or they can scout out a dozen places at once, finally we found out why it's P2W.

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• Question0Question0 Member Posts: 4

Or distract a horde of players with their awsomazing adorableness.

That's it, we're onto them now.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

Originally posted by Voiidiin

I hope you mean cash shop, but if yer serious this is the first i have read about GW2 selling cats in game.

Catshops have a lot of P2W advantages in them. God damn kittens are so OP... They freaking kill you with their cuteness.

• cloud8521cloud8521 Member Posts: 878

like.. from the box? because the costs of runnign the servers for games is so damn  small now that  subs are a scam.  and cashgrab. they dont need to make money off of cash shop they just  wil luse it for extra revenue  to make thenext expentions or updates. also so they cna pay emploees.  not much needs to go to the server for games anymore.

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071

Originally posted by heartless

Catshops have a lot of P2W advantages in them. God damn kittens are so OP... They freaking kill you with their cuteness.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

uhm scuse me, is this thread actually STILL open? .....(goes and looks for the manager stops a waitress) HEY!

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Awwwww man... wow. Heh... just wow. Not at anything in this thread.

But... if you're waiting, you're really going to miss out.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

6 months is way too long. I wouldn't even wait 6 weeks.

I am torn, Part of me wants to check out beta, and part of me wants to wait until after release to see how the economy goes.

Either way, we will know pretty quickly how it's going down.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Originally posted by heartless

So then.....I guess if you want a goldfish you are screwed?

• MonorojoMonorojo Member UncommonPosts: 411

Originally posted by itgrowls

uhm scuse me, is this thread actually STILL open? .....(goes and looks for the manager stops a waitress) HEY!

What exactly is wrong with this thread? Are you all supposed to be praising this unfinished product that has shown very little content past lvl 30 and calling it the next great thing in gaming? Is there no room for unbiased skepticism?