Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I just saw a Guild Wars 2 Exploration video...

darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237

Whatever.  Guild Wars 2 nailed it. You can criticize anything, but at the end of the day this is a daym good game all around. Yeah I know "But you have to play it first" "Things can change" "The video was faked" the list goes on.  And I still say this is a daym good game.

I love games. For me, the key to a great MMO is immersion.  How well can the developer lull me into believing what I am playing is real.  In my opinion that requires a few vital tenets.

Exploration? Phenomenal. Finally I can walk anywhere, JUMP over stuff. There are no mobs.  Can I tell you how much I hate seeing enemies stand around like zombies waiting to be killed?  Who does that?  But I understand it was a limitaiton either of imagination or technology.  Swimming.  To explore I have to be able to go anywhere.  If I see water I am going to want to go in it. Other games have swimming, EQ2 for example, but this just seems to scream "Hey look its a new world!" even though you are only under the water.  Im done! That alone, will make me wander the first zone until I have absolutely seen everything.  Which brings me to my last point invitation.  To Explore doesnt just mean a ton of content, it needs to deliver something that invites you to actually want to experience it.

Combat? This is my drug of choice when choosing an MMO.  I want to fight stuff, grow in character, and dominate. Or die (repeatedly) trying.  The content can be the best ever, but If Im not enjoying the fight to explore the content, Im gone, on to the next one. Now combat is tough because everyone likes something different.  Me? I love the mix of statistics of the attacks along with the mechanic of fighting.  Its rare that a game gets it right for me.  Back in the day, it was Chrono Trigger.  More recent would be Fall Out 3. You know, where its fun to fight just to do it.  Now to be fair, I have not experienced th!e combat and it for all intensive purposes it could be off. I take that. But from what Ive seen, and what I know the combat looks great! Dodge alone should be a staple going forward. Please lets move away from standing there.  Part of the fun of the fight is the (little bit of) skill to avoid an attack, especially when you have little to no health.  Its adds a randomness that says the outcome is more than just your build.  Which leads me to PvP.  Now I cant speak here because I dislike PvP i MMOs, and I come from Quake III Arena.  But here I am eager to try it.  I feel engaged to want to test my character against yours.  Which brings up.. gear.  I realized I hated PvP because it was gear based, and I simply didnt have the time or the desire to grind. Its not what I wanted to play for. Which brings me to the next tenet....

Grouping? Its a love hate relationship for me.  I love the idea of playing with friends and strangers in the game.  Working together to topple a mighty foe, Ahh man its great.  but I hate what I have to do to get in a group.  First of all,  the fact that I have to figure out how to group is bad, and instantly breaks immersion.  "Hey I wish I could go fight that thing with that person over there.  Wait, how do I group again? What button? Wheres the chat? Well that was rude!"  All I want to do is fight!  Here, all I have to do is just that.  Fight. What do you know insta-group! immersion maintained. Genius.

The last piece for me, and what keeps there are two fold.  The first piece is Lore.  Coming from consoles I get it.  I cant get the same deep story as I do on the 360 when everyone else in the world has to play the same thing.  SWTOR did exactly that and I couldnt wait until my 3-month sub expired. More power to its success. They didnt get it.  The story isnt about a narration of events I get to live, its about a broad theme that I experience the way I want.  I make my OWN story.  Which brings me to my last, and now I mean it, tenet which I just happen to call my toychest.   The toy chest is all the things OUTSIDE of the broad theme that I can do to pass the time.  Gathering. Hunting. Smithing. Alchemy. All of that good stuff.  A second profession system would be great, but not required. I love making stuff then selling it and see if I can make a profit from it.  Addictive to me.  To be the ultimate toychest would include housing that I can decorate and furnish.

All of which, if done correctly, would easily support a large and healthy population.  Add in thats its effectively free after purchase (dont have to calculate value-to-subscription ratios), and you have an entry that I personally feel is refreshing, exciting, and most importantly innovative... I applaud ArenaNET taking a chance to F-I-N-A-L-L-Y do something different than the game-that-shall-not-be-named, cloned more times than the troopers in Episode II.  

I will see you all in Tyria.  Hoping to have a new home.

I am gamer. Play. Forever.

Comments

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802

*thumbs up* good post and I totally agree

one thing I noticed.. you mentioned professions. 

" The toy chest is all the things OUTSIDE of the broad theme that I can do to pass the time.  Gathering. Hunting. Smithing. Alchemy. All of that good stuff.  A second profession system would be great, but not required. I love making stuff then selling it and see if I can make a profit from it."

Do you mean tradeskills? If you do you get 2 tradeskills and can with money and time master all of the tradeskills on one character but you can only have 2 active at once.

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237

Originally posted by ariboersma

*thumbs up* good post and I totally agree

one thing I noticed.. you mentioned professions. 

" The toy chest is all the things OUTSIDE of the broad theme that I can do to pass the time.  Gathering. Hunting. Smithing. Alchemy. All of that good stuff.  A second profession system would be great, but not required. I love making stuff then selling it and see if I can make a profit from it."

Do you mean tradeskills? If you do you get 2 tradeskills and can with money and time master all of the tradeskills on one character but you can only have 2 active at once.

Thank you. I tend to forget the name of such systems :-)   Thats exactly what I meant, and is just re-affirming what I am believing GW2 will deliver.  

My spidey sense hasnt tingled in ages...

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

Any chance of a link to that video?

imageimage

Originally posted by JoeyMMO

Thought you'd never ask ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7qSKgjNb0E

To be fair, I stole this from another post in the forum (and had other links, I havent seen yet).

Shhhh :-D

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802

Originally posted by darkhalf357x

Originally posted by JoeyMMO

Thought you'd never ask ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7qSKgjNb0E

To be fair, I stole this from another post in the forum (and had other links, I havent seen yet).

Shhhh :-D

When I woke up this morning my husband had linked this video to me on Yahoo... so I woke up watching it and promptly put it up on FB =D excellent vid. Here is a great gameplay one GW2 put up on FB today with article.

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/guild_wars_2/b/pc/archive/2012/04/13/guild-wars-2-video-preview.aspx

and yw, I thought you might mean tradeskill.. I still want to call them profs myself >.<

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617

Ya watched the entire video and it was stunning. Ouside that wall where the pillar of fire was looked awesome. The smoke looked real as well. Seems like every shoot could be wallpaper for my desktop lol

• PigozzPigozz Member UncommonPosts: 886

You just explained why GW2 is keeping me so hyped up for over 2 years now ;)

I think I actually spent way more time reading and theorycrafting about MMOs than playing them

Originally posted by Pigozz

OMG! The purgatory you must have experienced! :O

I just found out about Guild Wars 2 in January 2012 :D  I have been spared.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

A really great writeup, OP, and I fully agree to it. It's what I too seek in MMOs, and so far it seems to be in GW2. I am a bit burnt after all the MMO hypes and fails, but I am positively looking forward to GW2. It really looks cool. ^^

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155

This thread is just causing forum overflow. There is a similar topic at http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/346964/Great-exploration-video.html, where you could have posted. It is on the same page, lol.

• PigozzPigozz Member UncommonPosts: 886

OMG! The purgatory you must have experienced! :O

I just found out about Guild Wars 2 in January 2012 :D  I have been spared.

Yeah it was! I was hooked after I read an article about dynamic events somewhere in february 2010...the wait was painful but its almost over!!! (a until I get my hands on it for the first time, woohooo!!)image

Um and offtopic btw:

Did anyone receive any new e-mail about the WBE, I received the two after pre-purchase and since then nothing O.o

I think I actually spent way more time reading and theorycrafting about MMOs than playing them

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

Um and offtopic btw:

Did anyone receive any new e-mail about the WBE, I received the two after pre-purchase and since then nothing O.o

There hasn't been a new email so far. All they've said in twitter is that the first WBE will be on late april (so that means either april 20th or 27th since they're the two fridays in the second half of april), that previous beta testers will have to download the full client again, and that they'll announce the download link and dates with enough time to download and prepare.

What can men do against such reckless hate?

Originally posted by TwoThreeFour

This thread is just causing forum overflow. There is a similar topic at http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/346964/Great-exploration-video.html, where you could have posted. It is on the same page, lol.

Sorry. I wanted a new thread.  :-)

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

You cannot explore everywhere.  I saw a video where there was an invisible barrier while he was trying to swim out to sea. 

http://youtu.be/i7qSKgjNb0E

It's at around 7:25.

• khamul787khamul787 Member UncommonPosts: 193

Originally posted by L0C0Man

Um and offtopic btw:

There hasn't been a new email so far. All they've said in twitter is that the first WBE will be on late april (so that means either april 20th or 27th since they're the two fridays in the second half of april), that previous beta testers will have to download the full client again, and that they'll announce the download link and dates with enough time to download and prepare.

Yup, I can confirm this. Arenanet stated on their twitter that if you got the email saying "we'll send the link to the download soon" or whatever, then you're ready to go. They'll likely send that email a few days before the test.

Originally posted by observer

You cannot explore everywhere.  I saw a video where there was an invisible barrier while he was trying to swim out to sea. 

http://youtu.be/i7qSKgjNb0E

It's at around 7:25.

I agree.  There always has to be some sort of limitation. Its still a game. GW2 is no different. But focusing on what they CAN do, it stands to be impressive. 

Its not how far you can travel, but how much fun you have doing it.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

You do realize this is the same kind of hype every MMO gets prior to release?  Bash all you want on "the game that shall not be named" but I do recall a lof of excitement for the AoC videos as well.

I watched the video.  Looks decent.  I wouldn't call it anything extraordinary.  Looks like an MMO.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

Originally posted by grimal 

Looks like an MMO.

Ironically, that's what's been missing from recent releases.

Originally posted by grimal

You do realize this is the same kind of hype every MMO gets prior to release?  Bash all you want on "the game that shall not be named" but I do recall a lof of excitement for the AoC videos as well.

I watched the video.  Looks decent.  I wouldn't call it anything extraordinary.  Looks like an MMO.

What MMO does it look like?  I would like to see it.  Im not bashing 'game-that-shall-not-be-named'.  I'm saying it wasnt for me.  GW2 is more inline in what *I* want to see in an MMO.

Doesnt every MMO look like an MMO?  I mean SWTOR looks more like a typical MMO than GW2 does. SWTOR is a great game. I subbed it. Wasn't what I was looking for. I left.  Im saying GW2 looks more likely to keep my excitement, since it delivers what I want to play.

At some point you simply have to enjoy whats in front of you, instead of finding everything thats wrong with it.  How is that remotely fun?  Now if you simply don't like what is in front you thats cool.  Then move on.  It wasnt for you.  

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

can you go and fight underwater?  surprised me how much detail there was in some underwater places in WoW. 

• eyceleycel Member Posts: 1,334

Yea most definitely a good video with nice quality HD footage. 

Did anyone notice the bolt of what looked to be electricity continue to flow over the land as it was shot, that was so cool seeing that at around 13:05.  Most mmos have a certain distance of how far a animation goes but it looked as if to travel and keep traveling to where you couldnt even see it any more.

• QuenchsterQuenchster Member Posts: 450

Originally posted by adam_nox

can you go and fight underwater?  surprised me how much detail there was in some underwater places in WoW. 

Yes. Your weapons also change when you go underwater so that characters with too many ranged AoE abilities will have a different set of abilities to use. In WoW that was an issue that they couldn't really solve, which is why they had players fight near the floor of the ocean so they could use those abilities. There are a few hidden areas I've seen underwater too, so I'm guessing there will be skillpoint and puzzle objectives that can only be found while swimming.

• star8472star8472 Member Posts: 72

Originally posted by eycel

Yea most definitely a good video with nice quality HD footage. 

Did anyone notice the bolt of what looked to be electricity continue to flow over the land as it was shot, that was so cool seeing that at around 13:05.  Most mmos have a certain distance of how far a animation goes but it looked as if to travel and keep traveling to where you couldnt even see it any more.

that was probably a bug cuz the water bolt is suppose to return to the elementalist and disappear .. That one bolt that did go off by it self did not return to the elementalist cuz the elementalist ''dodged'' out of its way .. So i'm not sure any more..

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

What MMO does it look like?  I would like to see it.  Im not bashing 'game-that-shall-not-be-named'.  I'm saying it wasnt for me.  GW2 is more inline in what *I* want to see in an MMO.

Doesnt every MMO look like an MMO?  I mean SWTOR looks more like a typical MMO than GW2 does. SWTOR is a great game. I subbed it. Wasn't what I was looking for. I left.  Im saying GW2 looks more likely to keep my excitement, since it delivers what I want to play.

At some point you simply have to enjoy whats in front of you, instead of finding everything thats wrong with it.  How is that remotely fun?  Now if you simply don't like what is in front you thats cool.  Then move on.  It wasnt for you.  

I find it has that generic fantasy MMO look so prevalent in the genre right now.  Not bashing it, just fail to see what is so amazing about the video.  Want an exact MMO it looks like?  It looks like a cross between Rift, WoW with maybe a dash of Aion.  That's what it looks like to me. 

I'm just trying to be realistic here.  Everyone is overhyping this game to death and it can't possibly be able to live up to the expectations you are all putting on it. 

For instance, the OP keeps going on and on about how great this game is, yet all he has seen is video clips.  ANY game can look great.  It's after you actually play it that you can see how it is.  An MMO, specifically, requires a lot of time within it to give it a fair judgement.  Some people are immediately turned off of a game, fine..that's their right.

But these forums have started to become very annoying with the

"OMG THIS GAME IS GONNA ROCK! ITS EVERYTHING I WANTED!" before they even set an hour in  the game, and then it's "OMG THIS GAME IS SO INCREDIBLE" after an hour to quickly become "THAT GAME FAILS" after a few weeks.  It gets extremely tiring to try and engage in real conversations about games when everyone keeps jumping to extreme judgements.

I typically buy every MMO that comes out and try and give it a fair shake.  I haven't ever regretted doing that.  Every game I have enjoyed for some time..some more than others, but coming in with these extreme preconceived notions on how "great" a game is before you even play it only leads to disappointment.  And people flood the forums with these annoying posts.  If everyone would try and become a little level headed and start to look at things more maturely, I think these forums could truly benefit.

• Stimos8Stimos8 Member UncommonPosts: 163

Ok, to be perfectly honest guild wars 2 as a whole seems like a pretty bad game, from the videos i have seen, it just seems to be slow and bulky especially pvp, and thats not what people are wanting, there wanting smooth interactive environments, also the fact that its not really planning on having much pve endgame is a big turn off. Having played the TERA closed beta i can just about safely say that the TERA will be a far better game as a whole, and its being release 1 month before this game. it has far better combat, content, graphics, interaction etc...

Not to mention the fact that they wont be able to update content as quickly as other games, due to it being B2P not P2P.

So yeah, without a doubt disagree with this post, and to prove it to you wait abit over a month untill the games released, and see for yourself.