Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Firefall: Interview with Scott Youngblood

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

MMORPG.com's Hillary "Pokket" Nicole caught up with Firefall's Lead Designer Scott Youngblood (also the original Tribes mastermind from the days of yore) to chat about Red 5's MMO shooter. Check out Firefall Interview with Scott Youngblood and then let us know what you think in the comments.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• fundayzfundayz Member Posts: 463

Cannot wait for this game!

• CzelawCzelaw Member UncommonPosts: 173

How about some BETA keys?!

• gilgamesh42gilgamesh42 Member Posts: 300

he changed his last name to young blood

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

she didnt even ask when they forsee this beign released. you know what that means.

uugh painful to hear him explain. nothing new.  kinda see this game perhaps beign released early next year 2013. with all those 'IDEAS" hes talked about they dont sound they have been implemented at all.

at least hes admitted they have been working less on the project and more on company gameplay.

<.<

i want my 8min back.

iam sure itll do well ftp and all.

• gilgamesh42gilgamesh42 Member Posts: 300

Originally posted by orbitxo

she didnt even ask when they forsee this beign released. you know what that means.

uugh painful to hear him explain. nothing new.  kinda see this game perhaps beign released early next year 2013. with all those 'IDEAS" hes talked about they dont sound they have been implemented at all.

at least hes admitted they have been working less on the project and more on company gameplay.

<.<

that was obviously  baddly done marketing

• RoyalPhunkRoyalPhunk Member UncommonPosts: 174

This game is taking to long to come out, Tribes Ascend and Planetside 2 are going to clean up and rake money from Firefall. Sorry guys you took too long.

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671

I asked when it's being released when I interviewed the Red5 dudes.  They told me there will be NO official hard launch.  They plan to soft launch the game and roll it out invite only, slowly building the player base over time similar to a large scale beta (invitational?) before opening the gates wide.  They hope this will stagger the incoming population and avoid the launch day woes experienced by many other titles.

Hope that clears things up for those that wanted to know.  I'll try to get the interview and my play time experiences written up this weekend.

Steam: Neph

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671

Originally posted by RoyalPhunk

This game is taking to long to come out, Tribes Ascend and Planetside 2 are going to clean up and rake money from Firefall. Sorry guys you took too long.

Firefall plays nothing like PS2 or Tribes.....On the surface I know they seem similar (sci-fi shooter?), but in reality they are quite different.

Tribes has none of the trappings of an MMO at all and you're flying, skiing, etc.  Firefall has SOME of the trappings of an MMO and definitely isn't just a lobby where you enter into CTF, TDM, etc.  There's jetpacks but they don't play out the same at all they're more similar to GA.

PS2 has vehicles and what appears to be a very different style of combat.  I haven't had a chance to play PS2 so I can't nail the nitty gritty of what will be different, but PS1 didn't play anything like Firefall does now (IMO based on playing at PAX).

While I agree that these games have thematically similar elements, actual gameplay differs widely enough to allow them to appeal to different markets.  Also like Tribes/PS2 it will be F2P, I've got a ton of details on the store, so there's no barrier to entry to try the title regardless of when it launches.

Steam: Neph

• ClocksimusClocksimus Member Posts: 354

So the delevepors are indeed too busy  patting themselves on the back and playing their own game to actually finish  the project and launch the title is all I got from this.  I watched  the stream here couple days ago for Firefall and the game looks  miles off being ready as a finished MMO. 

I honestly don't see this game picking up much steam with Red5's very poor marketting strat. The people they have currently and maybe the next wave of closed beta invites (I'm almost certain there will be at least one if not a few more closed beta invites before anything near OB) will make up their playerbase for the game after they official launch the game.

• StyleGamingStyleGaming Member Posts: 43

I've been playing beta, if you goto the website (www.firefallthegame.com) you can "win" a beta key.

- http://www.youtube.com/user/myfreestylegaming

AC>EQ>War>EVE>AoC>Aion>SWTOR>FireFall>Tera/GW2

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Originally posted by StyleGaming

I've been playing beta, if you goto the website (www.firefallthegame.com) you can "win" a beta key.

Yes, and I could be struck by lightening as well ... ^^ The chances are pretty much the same at this point. ^^ Given the level of development (hell they just went 24/7 the first part of this month) , I'd really not expect most people to be able to play until fall at the earlist.  While it *does* look like a good game, their marketing approach needs some serious work.  With Tera and D3 due out next month, I've placed Firefall on my secondary list. 

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."