Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In three words explain what the game is

Comments

• GWFandaddyGWFandaddy Member Posts: 180

Massive Multiple Online-gasms

• RodimusPrimeRodimusPrime Member Posts: 114

cash shop hub

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Winter is coming.

Irrelevant, I know, but I just watched the series for the first time last weekend.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617

still the trinity

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Originally posted by Nanfoodle

still the trinity

hasn't seen gameplay

• silvermembersilvermember Member UncommonPosts: 526

still the trinity

lacks a brain.

• RodimusPrimeRodimusPrime Member Posts: 114

Originally posted by colddog04

still the trinity

hasn't seen gameplay

You know the devs themselves have stated they have a soft trinity right?

• BigHatLoganBigHatLogan Member Posts: 688

Creates Giant Sausages

Are you a Pavlovian Fish Biscuit Addict? Get Help Now!
    I will play no more MMORPGs until somethign good comes out!

• redcap036redcap036 Member UncommonPosts: 1,230

Are we there ...?

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Originally posted by RodimusPrime

still the trinity

hasn't seen gameplay

They're also trying to use terminology people used to the archaic trinity model are used to. In practice, there is no trinity in GW2. The damage, control and support aspects are tied to your skills, with most skills having multiple aspects on them. For example, Chaos Storm damages enemies, applies random conditions to enemies (control) and random boons to allies (support). As such, you'll be using skills by what's needed at the time... a cripple on that mob over there, a boon application to some allies in a tough fight, burning down a mob someone else has snared, things like that. Basically, since you'll be using damage, control and support all at the same time the "role" concept is pretty well removed.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

Poor Man's MMO

• WolvardsWolvards Member Posts: 650

Originally posted by Unlight

Winter is coming.

Irrelevant, I know, but I just watched the series for the first time last weekend.

Super Epic Series!

The "Youtube Pro": Someone who watches video's on said subject, and obviously has a full understanding of what is being said about such subject.

• ProfGetzProfGetz Member UncommonPosts: 182

Do Not Want.

Not all that interested, but I do hope it is successful.

Every MMORPG is AWESOME, until it's released!
    I don't want a game so much as I want a WORLD!
    --
    o·pin·ion –noun
    1. a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.
    2. a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617

Originally posted by Volkon

still the trinity

hasn't seen gameplay

They're also trying to use terminology people used to the archaic trinity model are used to. In practice, there is no trinity in GW2. The damage, control and support aspects are tied to your skills, with most skills having multiple aspects on them. For example, Chaos Storm damages enemies, applies random conditions to enemies (control) and random boons to allies (support). As such, you'll be using skills by what's needed at the time... a cripple on that mob over there, a boon application to some allies in a tough fight, burning down a mob someone else has snared, things like that. Basically, since you'll be using damage, control and support all at the same time the "role" concept is pretty well removed.

Tanking, DPS and healing is covered by all team members. Its a wecomed change but for the trinity to really be dead then there would never be any of the rolls, everyone would be DPS like in console games. Sure its not the standard way its set up in most MMOs but the trinity is very much alive and well in this game, just dressed in aa new set of duds. If it wasnt, no one would tank or heal even if only for a short duration and they do every time you team. Like already stated even the devs say its a soft trinity.

still the trinity

hasn't seen gameplay

They can call it whatever they want.

You can't target team members. There are no agro skills.

No one will tank. At all. That alone removes trinity from the equation. There are classes with more armor that tend to be melee and take more damage because they tend to eat AoE. Heals are AoE/passive or you use them on yourself. You do not target anyone and heal them.

There is no trinity here. I've watched so much gameplay. I used to think in a group MMORPG setting it wasn't going to be possible. Well, I now know it is. And I think it's going to be the first thing that pisses off the consumers.

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

what happened to three words?

always

something

new

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Tanking, DPS and healing is covered by all team members. Its a wecomed change but for the trinity to really be dead then there would never be any of the rolls, everyone would be DPS like in console games. Sure its not the standard way its set up in most MMOs but the trinity is very much alive and well in this game, just dressed in aa new set of duds. If it wasnt, no one would tank or heal even if only for a short duration and they do every time you team. Like already stated even the devs say its a soft trinity.

This is false. There is no "tanking", for example. There's control... you can kite mobs, block an attack, put up walls, things of that nature. You cannot, however, taunt a mob and absorb the damage it can give. Just like there are no healers. You can apply boons, you can apply ground targetting effects, but you can't target an ally and heal him. The basic fact that you have damage, control and support abilities on you at all times in a single build demonstrates that there's no intent for you to play a "role", at least in the archaic sense. Instead your apparent role with change with every next skill you use or spell you cast. A ranger will go from control (with shots that cripple, for example) to damage to support (healing rain, for example) with three presses of the keys. It's using the right skills at the right times for the best effect.

You'll see when you experience it in practice. Roles as you know them are pretty well defunct.

Oderint, dum metuant.

What... no.

No one is tanking AT ALL. Everyone takes damage. You can't just say because everyone takes damage that they are all tanks in their own special way. That is bullplop.

Devistates the Competition

Competition, What Competition?

• KillHurtKillHurt Member Posts: 347

TAKE. MY. MONEY.

(Oh wait, they already have)

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

RYTLOCK IS MINE! :)

• EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

Accessible, evolutionary and fluid.

Three words that reflect how I felt about the demo.

• akathosakathos Member UncommonPosts: 179

No social life.

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

Steaming donkey turd

Better than Sex

Punched in balls

The New Crack

Someone's aborted fetus

Pretty beyond words

Never played the beta but i still think this forum game is fun..here are some more 3 word descriptions..that might or might not describe GW2..I wouldnt know....I never played it  b(<>)

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

Wife Will Hate

Wife, What Wife?