Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Major patch 1.2 bugs prompt unscheduled server maintenance

Comments

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

Originally posted by RefMinor

Originally posted by Kabaal

ETA is another 7 hours http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=3909226#edit3909226

Maybe they should change the title to "major unscheduled server maintainence"

wonder if i'll get a free month being a subscriber without a lvl 50?

• wowfan1996wowfan1996 Member UncommonPosts: 719

Originally posted by crysent
    Yes, things vanished, Yes they will be returned after the maintance.

Except players who unsubbed due to 1.2 being a total ****fest. I'm afraid they vanished from SWTOR universe forever.

MMORPG genre is dead. Long live MMOCS (Massively Multiplayer Online Cash Shop).

• fundayzfundayz Member Posts: 463

You understand what was implied both in your title and the post you linked you op to.

Look at my post history..I've been a HUGE critic of ToR and Bioware..HUGE.  That said  1.2 was a step in the right direction. Yes it came way late, Yes it has some problems but it has made the game better.  the emergency maintance seems like a pretty small ordeal to me and fairly common after a large patch.

Sorry but what large patch? These are the notes for patch 1.2a, the patch that broke the game.

If this has happened yesterday, when they implemented the actual content patch, then I would give them more slack but the fact is they managed to break the game implementing a bug fix. It's utterly pathetic that a multimillion dollar can't implement a non-essential bug fix without bringing all the servers down. It's not like they were hotfixing some deep, gamebreaking bug.

Oh and I understand what was implied in the title and I see nothing wrong with it.

Rollback (Verb): Restore (a database) to a previously defined state.

Since the servers were temporarily restored to their pre-1.2 state they were, by definition, rolledback. Now that the servers are down and not set to pre-1.2 the term does not apply anymore and hence why MikeB changed the title.

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

Originally posted by n3v3rriv3r

Originally posted by GMan3

Shame on them for actually TESTING something and making a good decision based on that TESTING.

Oh because they tested the whole patch so well that they needed another maintenance. Yup, only good decisions. Your logic is .... lol

Some reading comprehension would help you here.  The patch (1.2a) AFTER the big patch (1.2) messed things up, not the big patch.  What I was directly addressing was that testing showed them that Ranked WZs were not working as intended and they decided that rather than intentionally releasing broken crap like SOE, they would put off the Ranked WZs.  Then along comes the little patch that messed with one single feature of the game that it was not even intended to touch.  Obviously, the little patch was not tested enough, but my previous post was about the WZs not being in 1.2, not the mess 1.2a made.  Sorry you did not understand that.

As complicated as the programing is, I am surprised it does not happen a lot more often than it does in most games.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• BunksBunks Member Posts: 960

Originally posted by Kabaal

ETA is another 7 hours http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=3909226#edit3909226

Maybe they should change the title to "major unscheduled server maintainence"

What's the big deal, so they left out a planet or two. No biggie! After all Alderann was wiped out, BW is already +1

• Jason2444Jason2444 Member Posts: 372

Originally posted by n3v3rriv3r

Shame on them for actually TESTING something and making a good decision based on that TESTING.

Oh because they tested the whole patch so well that they needed another maintenance. Yup, only good decisions. Your logic is .... lol

Some reading comprehension would help you here.  The patch (1.2a) AFTER the big patch (1.2) messed things up, not the big patch.  What I was directly addressing was that testing showed them that Ranked WZs were not working as intended and they decided that rather than intentionally releasing broken crap like SOE, they would put off the Ranked WZs.  Then along comes the little patch that messed with one single feature of the game that it was not even intended to touch.  Obviously, the little patch was not tested enough, but my previous post was about the WZs not being in 1.2, not the mess 1.2a made.  Sorry you did not understand that.

As complicated as the programing is, I am surprised it does not happen a lot more often than it does in most games.

Yo dawg i heard you like patches, so we patched your patched that patched your patched because we broken the patch that patched the patch

MMOs played: WoW, Star Wars Galaxies, Star Wars: The Old Republic, Guild Wars, Planetside, Global Agenda, Star Trek Online, RIFT, Everquest 2, Age of Conan, Warhammer Online, EvE online, APB
    Best MMO Companies: Trion Worlds, ArenaNet, CCP
    Worst MMO Companies: Electronic Arts

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

Well shit happens. You can't really expect a patch that huge (and subsequent small patch to correct some things) without there being some issues yeah? I remember playing WoW and sometimes patches would break the game for a couple days. 

So...the world is not ending, the sky is not falling. Just relax.

• Matt_UKMatt_UK Member Posts: 420

Free to play by the end of the year. I'm off down the bookmakers to put £10 on it.

• BunksBunks Member Posts: 960

Originally posted by Matt_UK

Free to play by the end of the year. I'm off down the bookmakers to put £10 on it.

LAst I checked, it was free to play for the next month.

• BoatsmateBoatsmate Member Posts: 208

Originally posted by Boatsmate

Somebody ,somewhere has their mattress stuffed with a huge wad of money from early game sells. You never know what these multi-corporate,  enterprises consider a win. Maybe the idea all along was to raise a quick, buttload of cash and do a leveraged buyout of orange juice futures from Belize. And then outsource the game to three guys named Peggy who live on Pirate Island. I'm playing it safe and changing to grape juice.

I'm not sure if you are joking or actually wearing the biggest tinfoil hat I have EVER seen.

Wow, I have never had anyone take me seriously before. My wife warned me that could happen,even with me. Maybe this will clarify things, "Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean someone isn't really trying to kill you". There. By the way, you aren't a cop are you?

Ballerinas are always on their toes. Why don't they just get taller ballerinas?

Originally posted by fundayz

Originally posted by MikeB

Edited title due to false information.

Thank you.  The troll army was in full attack.

Lol wat? I don't think anyone here actually thought the items were permanently gone. Almost every comment is about BioWare's inability to put a patch in without breaking the game and they still apply 100%.

Right - your headline was 'patch 1.2 rollback' Which is entirely misleading and a hyperbole to the extreme.  

Lol, get back to your desk at BW and fix the glitch already!

• PaithanPaithan Member Posts: 377

Twice in two days I am speechless, no need for clever comments, BW have patched half of 1.2 back out, just WoW

Yep, for WoW its always been normal for the servers to go back down 1 hour the servers come back up, after a couple o hours delay, that said I certainly dont miss the servers going down for an emergency patch and roling restarts 4-6 times betwine tuesday and friday.

But yeah.. while I agree its anoying its no different then any mmo out there, it happens.

Originally posted by Bunks

I'm not ready yet, too many bad memories. I'll be out of disappointment therepy by the end of the year.

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

Only if you have a level 50 character.

Originally posted by Paithan

Twice in two days I am speechless, no need for clever comments, BW have patched half of 1.2 back out, just WoW

Yep, for WoW its always been normal for the servers to go back down 1 hour the servers come back up, after a couple o hours delay, that said I certainly dont miss the servers going down for an emergency patch and roling restarts 4-6 times betwine tuesday and friday.

But yeah.. while I agree its anoying its no different then any mmo out there, it happens.

Quit trying to project Biowares failures onto Blizzard.

And as for saying "B-b-but WoW had that happen!"

Guess what.

WoW lost 2 million subs last year. You're REALLY not making a good case for yourself

MMOs played: WoW, Star Wars Galaxies, Star Wars: The Old Republic, Guild Wars, Planetside, Global Agenda, Star Trek Online, RIFT, Everquest 2, Age of Conan, Warhammer Online, EvE online, APB

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

Must have been some pretty nastty bugs because they are actually rolling back parts of patch 1.2 and having to rebuild some areas of the game.    They are now saying that the servers will be down until the situation is resolved.

Incoming free time for all - I see this in your future if you play SWTOR.

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

More incorrect information.

http://www.swtor.com/legacypromotion

Try actually reading it...

Originally posted by Teala

Must have been some pretty nastty bugs because they are actually rolling back parts of patch 1.2 and having to rebuild some areas of the game.    They are now saying that the servers will be down until the situation is resolved.

Which is mindboggling considering all the patch was doing was fixing a problem people had with deleting characters...

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    This sucks!!! But mind boggling, unprecedented, proof of incompetence, beginning of the end... Hardly. I've seen major patches come and go with many games, and issues are nothing new. I will admit, this one is definitely on the high end though. But please stop the 'end of days' silliness.

I self identify as a monkey.

• RodimusPrimeRodimusPrime Member Posts: 114

Isn't this title misleading? There was actually server mantience scheduled for today.

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857

This. 

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

Originally posted by RodimusPrime

Isn't this title misleading? There was actually server mantience scheduled for today.

This is different. Read the updated OP.

Originally posted by Souldrainer

This. 

Yeah, I remember when WoW deleted guild banks.

Oh wait.

Blizzard fucks up: Orc shoulder pads shink

Bioware fucks up: Guild banks get deleted and people lose 600k credit.

The best part is the patch that broke guild banks was only implemented to fix a problem where people couldn't delete there characters....

HOW DOES THAT HAPPEN? How do botch a patch so badly?

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by RodimusPrime

I don't think they intended to break it with the scheduled maintainence though, thus causing major unscheduled server maintainence.
  • FaelanFaelan Member UncommonPosts: 819

Still doesn't beat the EVE patch that tried to delete the rather crucial boot.ini file on the C drive, making some people unable to boot their system. That one was hilariously bad.

Have a feeling it's going to be a loooong weekend at Bioware image

I'm a big ol' fluffy carewolf. Be afraid. Be very afraid.