Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Major patch 1.2 bugs prompt unscheduled server maintenance

Comments

• AmegashieAmegashie Member UncommonPosts: 289

Originally posted by Celcius

Considering this is one of the biggest patches for an MMO, I would say they did pretty well. 

Uh, what ? It's a fairly standard content patch. Pretty much all the major titles roll out updates like that several times a year.

• crysentcrysent Member UncommonPosts: 841

Originally posted by fundayz

Originally posted by crysent

Originally posted by MikeB

Edited title due to false information.

Thank you.  The troll army was in full attack.

Lol wat? I don't think anyone here actually thought the items were permanently gone. Almost every comment is about BioWare's inability to put a patch in without breaking the game and they still apply 100%.

Right - your headline was 'patch 1.2 rollback' Which is entirely misleading and a hyperbole to the extreme.  

And that's why it was changed once the information was clarified... claiming the "troll army was in full attack" is hyperbole just as much.

Changed by a Mod NOT by you.  The informationw as clarified within an hour of the server going down.  You somehow felt the need to assume that there was a 1.2 rolleback which then prompted what? 10 pages of  "the sky is falling" post about Bioware?  It was very noble of you to feel the need to assume that because of the emergency maintance Bio was rolling back the patch and everything with it.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,049

Originally posted by Abrexus

Originally posted by davestr1zl

Originally posted by davestr1zl

Its clearly a mistake, it rolled back practically everything (content, areas in the game, etc). The dev's posted in the dev blog the servers are going down again and they'll fix it.

Even if that is the case, the incompetence is astounding.

First they make it clear to their playerbase how little they actually care about them (but oh how they love their wallets) and then they can't even implement a content patch without breaking the game?

gg BioWare, gg

Yes, they made a mistake, its astounding. (its a big mistake ill admit, but whatever).

What i dont get is how you say they dont care about the playerbase but do care about their wallets? If that was even remotely true then they wouldnt have given a majority of subscribing players 1 free month play time. They wouldnt have given the people who had patching problems a few days ago 3 free days play time, and a bunch of other things.

How exactly are they making it clear to the playerbase they dont care about them? I'm not seeing it personally.

Okay, I'll spell it out for you because it really isn't that hard to understand:

If the new promotion was indeed intended to show their loyal playerbase their appreciation, BioWare would have awarded everyone who's been an active since release the free 30 days. However, they are just offering the free game time to their Lv50 players even if someone has spent countless hours leveling alts. This makes it quite clear that the promotion has nothing to do with appreciating their players and everything to do with keeping bored Lv50 players around.

While trying to draw in Lv50's with free game time is not a bad thing, pretending that you are giving them that time because they are "loyal" is spitting in the face of all their loyal customers who happen not to have a Lv50.

Agreed 100%.  They are specifically targeting the section of their player base that has/is most likely to leave so they can pad thier subscription numbers.  There really is no other way to spin it.

I've seen this argument several times but I'm not sure how well it holds up.  Mainly because their last quarter ended March 31, so this promo is too late to pad those numbers, and the next quarter ends June 30, so this will be too short to pad those numbers.  

Originally posted by Amegashie

Considering this is one of the biggest patches for an MMO, I would say they did pretty well. 

Uh, what ? It's a fairly standard content patch. Pretty much all the major titles roll out updates like that several times a year.

Umm...no..I would say its not "fairly standard"  = Overhaul of crafting, new Warzone, overhaul of PvP rewards/gear system, Legacy system introduction, PvE endgame updates, guild updates, UI updates, etc...

• BartDaCatBartDaCat Member UncommonPosts: 813

SERIOUSLY?!

The level of incompetence displayed by the SW:TOR team reaches new highs with this latest development.  I feel for Bioware, I really do, but I am quickly losing respect for them due to their severe decline in quality control.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Originally posted by BartDaCat
    SERIOUSLY?!The level of incompetence displayed by the SW:TOR team reaches new highs with this latest development.  I feel for Bioware, I really do, but I am quickly losing respect for them due to their severe decline in quality control.

^ lol love the cat! And yes, considering ranked WZ's was hyped with the 1.2 patch release (sole reason to why many resubscribed to the game) and having it get removed 2 days before 1.2 release day. I guess it wasn't ready but they shouldn't have dangled a carrot in front of us like that until the last minute.

• n3v3rriv3rn3v3rriv3r Member UncommonPosts: 496

You are flogging a dead horse. Nothing new, the drama is expected and in two days there will be a new server maintenance. Meh.

• fundayzfundayz Member Posts: 463

Changed by a Mod NOT by you.  The informationw as clarified within an hour of the server going down.  You somehow felt the need to assume that there was a 1.2 rolleback which then prompted what? 10 pages of  "the sky is falling" post about Bioware?  It was very noble of you to feel the need to assume that because of the emergency maintance Bio was rolling back the patch and everything with it.

Sorry I used the word "roll back" I guess?

The thread was made about the fact that there is some pretty big problems with the implementation of 1.2, the guild bank was only part of it but the most immediate and glaring problem.

At the time I made the post people were still logging into the game so I couldn't have made it the current title either.

Originally posted by niceguy3978

I've seen this argument several times but I'm not sure how well it holds up.  Mainly because their last quarter ended March 31, so this promo is too late to pad those numbers, and the next quarter ends June 30, so this will be too short to pad those numbers.  

You are making the assumption that they would only do that to pad their numbers. While I'm sure that's true to some extent, I have a feeling that they actually believe that they'll somehow convince bored players to stick around during the free month.

Unfortunately for BW, most players that were going to unsub are just going to unsub after the free month anyway. If they weren't captivated by the game, an extra month isn't going to change that.

• karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904

Speechless. I think EAMythicware are at 5.5 feet now, bets on for when they hit 6 foot!

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by niceguy3978

I believe they are desperately flailing around so they can have some good news on the subs when they report bad Q4 numbers. Ie numbers are stabilising etc.
  • Jason2444Jason2444 Member Posts: 372

Considering they patched today and brought up the servers for a total of about 30 minutes before bringing them back down, I would say it is safe to say they are fixing this bug. Sky is not falling.; the beems are still in place!

Huge patches always have issues. Considering this is one of the biggest patches for an MMO, I would say they did pretty well. 

1.2a deleted patch 1.2 and that's considered "pretty well" to you?

It isn't even funny to see people defend this game anymore. It's just sad

MMOs played: WoW, Star Wars Galaxies, Star Wars: The Old Republic, Guild Wars, Planetside, Global Agenda, Star Trek Online, RIFT, Everquest 2, Age of Conan, Warhammer Online, EvE online, APB
    Best MMO Companies: Trion Worlds, ArenaNet, CCP
    Worst MMO Companies: Electronic Arts

Sorry I used the word "roll back" I guess?

The thread was made about the fact that there is some pretty big problems with the implementation of 1.2, the guild bank was only part of it but the most immediate and glaring problem.

At the time I made the post people were still logging into the game so I couldn't have made it the current title either.

You understand what was implied both in your title and the post you linked you op to.

Look at my post history..I've been a HUGE critic of ToR and Bioware..HUGE.  That said  1.2 was a step in the right direction. Yes it came way late, Yes it has some problems but it has made the game better.  the emergency maintance seems like a pretty small ordeal to me and fairly common after a large patch.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

It's because the foundation is crap.

How can you successfully apply a patch to something that's already crumbling in the 1st place?

Originally posted by Jason2444

Considering they patched today and brought up the servers for a total of about 30 minutes before bringing them back down, I would say it is safe to say they are fixing this bug. Sky is not falling.; the beems are still in place!

Huge patches always have issues. Considering this is one of the biggest patches for an MMO, I would say they did pretty well. 

Actually this is not true.  Nothing was 'deleted'  A few aspects of 1.2 were missing after the last patch...I was in game..Warzones still worked, legacy system was fine, gear changes were fine...No idea where your getting your information but its blatantly incorrect.

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

Originally posted by sookster54

Originally posted by BartDaCat

SERIOUSLY?!

The level of incompetence displayed by the SW:TOR team reaches new highs with this latest development.  I feel for Bioware, I really do, but I am quickly losing respect for them due to their severe decline in quality control.

^ lol love the cat! And yes, considering ranked WZ's was hyped with the 1.2 patch release (sole reason to why many resubscribed to the game) and having it get removed 2 days before 1.2 release day. I guess it wasn't ready but they shouldn't have dangled a carrot in front of us like that until the last minute.

Almost every single game has problems after almost every single big patch. Nothing new there. Also nothing new is all the doom and gloom crowd jumping in to say "I told you so".

As for the WZ. BioWare was pretty clear in saying that TESTING showed them they should not have the whole ranked WZ thing going in the game yet. Shame on them for actually TESTING something and making a good decision based on that TESTING. Seriously though, if anyone subbed just so they could be ranked in a WZ . . . well, let's just say I don't feel bad for them. Especially since this is not the first game that has not put a feature in a game that was being TESTED. 

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

This sort of thing happens all the time with most new MMOs.  It happened in EQ and WoW and AC and DAoC and AO and a plehtora of others.  You're merely using this to vent your absolute hatred for TOR and it's developers / publisher.  Talk about dogs with a bone.  Give it a frakking rest already.

• BoatsmateBoatsmate Member Posts: 208

Somebody ,somewhere has their mattress stuffed with a huge wad of money from early game sells. You never know what these multi-corporate,  enterprises consider a win. Maybe the idea all along was to raise a quick, buttload of cash and do a leveraged buyout of orange juice futures from Belize. And then outsource the game to three guys named Peggy who live on Pirate Island. I'm playing it safe and changing to grape juice.

Ballerinas are always on their toes. Why don't they just get taller ballerinas?

• n3v3rriv3rn3v3rriv3r Member UncommonPosts: 496

Originally posted by GMan3

Shame on them for actually TESTING something and making a good decision based on that TESTING.

Oh because they tested the whole patch so well that they needed another maintenance. Yup, only good decisions. Your logic is .... lol

Actually this is not true.  Nothing was 'deleted'  A few aspects of 1.2 were missing after the last patch...I was in game..Warzones still worked, legacy system was fine, gear changes were fine...No idea where your getting your information but its blatantly incorrect.

It deleted guild banks.

NO BIG DEAL, RIGHT GUYS?!

MMOs played: WoW, Star Wars Galaxies, Star Wars: The Old Republic, Guild Wars, Planetside, Global Agenda, Star Trek Online, RIFT, Everquest 2, Age of Conan, Warhammer Online, EvE online, APB

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

Originally posted by Boatsmate

Somebody ,somewhere has their mattress stuffed with a huge wad of money from early game sells. You never know what these multi-corporate,  enterprises consider a win. Maybe the idea all along was to raise a quick, buttload of cash and do a leveraged buyout of orange juice futures from Belize. And then outsource the game to three guys named Peggy who live on Pirate Island. I'm playing it safe and changing to grape juice.

I'm not sure if you are joking or actually wearing the biggest tinfoil hat I have EVER seen.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

It deleted guild banks.

NO BIG DEAL, RIGHT GUYS?!

It deleted them or broke their accessability?  How the hell would you know?  Are you part of the team that actually knows what is happening with the code?

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791

Looking at many of the posts in this forum you would think that none of them have ever played an MMO before. Name one MMO that has had an updated that has not had bugs or that has not had to be patched. I certainly can't think of any.

Of course, the "haters" have to have something to point at so go ahead. If it makes you happy just hate all you want. The rest of the sane world will just pat you on the head and be on our way.

Let's party like it is 1863!

Originally posted by Vorthanion

It deleted them or broke their accessability?  How the hell would you know, are you part of the team that actually knows what has and is happening with the code?

I know 2 things.

Guild banks are gone

And the people who spent 600k on them haven't gotten the money back

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by Kabaal

ETA is another 7 hours http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=3909226#edit3909226

Maybe they should change the title of this thread to "major unscheduled server maintainence"