Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR biggest flop or greatest success in gaming?

1235»

Comments

• Vegas771Vegas771 Member Posts: 2

I'm grateful to have been allowed in the late closed beta.  It confirmed that SW wasn't very good.  IMHO, a poor WoW clone in a SW setting.  And I didn't have to spend a dime to find that out, so that was great.

But I think with all the people who enjoy the SW universe, it probably did ok financially.

The thing that amazed me the most is how all the press fell behind SWTOR like it was one of the greatest games.  Then the public opinion came out.  I've never seen such an opposite between the press and the gaming community.  Payola or fanboys?

• xZeRGzxZeRGz Member Posts: 118

In answer to the OP... neither

• KyBoKyBo Member UncommonPosts: 140

The game is just shy of being four months out of launch.  It is already offering a free week to new players, and as of next week, current subscribers with a level 50 character on their account will get a free month.  How quickly do you have to be losing subscribers to hand out that much free time this early in the game's life?  Update 1.2 has already generated more firestorms than problems with the game it was intended to fix.  It's not looking good so far for EA/BW.

• cutthecrapcutthecrap Member Posts: 600

Neither the biggest flop nor the greatest success, should be obvious (man, people measuring everything in hyperboles and black & white extremes are killing me). And yep, it's still an MMORPG image

• HurvartHurvart Member Posts: 565

Originally posted by Vegas771

I'm grateful to have been allowed in the late closed beta.  It confirmed that SW wasn't very good.  IMHO, a poor WoW clone in a SW setting.  And I didn't have to spend a dime to find that out, so that was great.

But I think with all the people who enjoy the SW universe, it probably did ok financially.

The thing that amazed me the most is how all the press fell behind SWTOR like it was one of the greatest games.  Then the public opinion came out.  I've never seen such an opposite between the press and the gaming community.  Payola or fanboys?

Its sad. But I think it will happen again. I cant say I was surprised.

• HjorulvHjorulv Member UncommonPosts: 17

I would say the game is bordering the flop end of the scale.  Throwing huge amounts of money just for Star Wars licensing fees made sure that the game wasn't going to last long term.  The storylines for the characters only served to support the short term money grab theory by leaving no room for expansion.  I would say the game is basically a console game thrown onto an extremely basic MMO format.  Even the title of the game is a misnomer.  There is little at all in the game from the Old Republic period of Star Wars.  The game is a mix mash of things from all time periods, mostly from the time of the movies and later.  So even the game name is off by 3300 years.  It was ok for a couple months, during which I ran through the complete storylines for 3 different classes, but once you obtain max level, the game offers very little, and some of the things there are to do, like the level 50 dailies, don't make any sense whatsoever as far as the story is concerned.  I'd give the game a solid D (D for diploma, right?  lol ), but if I rated it compared to the hype before the game is released, I'm not sure I could even give it a letter grade, maybe an Incomplete.

• goldiewilsongoldiewilson Member Posts: 90

Well it's defineately not a success by any standards, but I wouldn't call it the biggest flop, most overpriced dissapointment maybe yeh sure. But biggest flop is in the Dark and Light Catagory which is a class of its own. I would call it a rictor scale 7 flop and think it will in the long run be worse than AOC and WAR, because it lacks the replayability and pvp viability of even those two games, actually AOC might and WAR might have better content as well. Pretty piss poor either way.

• kzaskekzaske Member UncommonPosts: 518

I would say that ST:TOR is a success.  Why, because it can and will make a profit so from a business point of view it's a success.  It success is further assured by the fact it is the only game in town.  If you want to play a Star Wars game with your friends, you play TOR.

From a gamer point of view, I would have to say that is is a border-line suscess.  There are enough people playing it to keep the game alive.  I feel the need to say that if you look at the size of the MMO market now it is about half as sucessful as Galaxies was this far from launch (I would love to find real world numbers to prove that).

• tarestares Member Posts: 381

I want to play it but the server I'm on is empty, they may have 2 million subs and 1 million active players but they are spread so thin that my server is empty.

The game mechanics, Pve instances, PvP Warzones are good but it seems more like a single player game that tried to copy warhammer. 

The small things killed my server:

1) lack of global or anyway too find other players to do heroics/flashpoints.

2) Lack of itemization or any reason to do HM flashpoints when can easily gear up during the easy raid.  Running group dungeans for a purpose is a good way to build community.

3) 100 servers on day 1, spread the playerbase to thin.

4) No goal for PvP aside from fun.

The idea was to make a great 1 to 49 single player experience and they did it but if they put in as much effort at level 50 cap stuff as one of teh eight stories, beside consular, it would dominate.

The head guys came from warhammer so they should have avoided the faction imbalance by either toning down imps or making rebublic look more stylish.   This is Illum PvP in a nutshell http://thenoobcomic.com/index.php?pos=270