Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How GW2 is a Different MMO!!

LucioonLucioon Member UncommonPosts: 819

Pre-Purchase , Cash Shop, stress test  , the three major problems with GW2?!?!?!?

really is this the only three problems that haters can think of for GW2!!

GW2 is a very different MMO, how do I know?? I don't, but its not based off Speculation its based off the information available.

1) W v W v W , servers are matched against each other every 2 weeks, after 2 weeks they change so you are constantly fighting against familiar strengthed Servers.

A) If you are matched against Familiar strengthed Servers, doesn't that mean if I have 90% of players that is Millionaires and buys tons and tons of Cash Shop items, they will also be matched up against other Servers that have 90% of players that is Millionaires that buys tons and tons of Cash Shop items.

So eventually, Millionaires makes Anet Milionaires then we get more expansions and more in game goodies....how is this bad

2) PVE, its Co-op mode, everyone helps each other, all loot is separate, all mining and harvesting points are separate

A) so if you buy tons of cash shop items....you get more influence and karma, and that provides you with???? more cosmetic gear!!!!  

3) Structured PVP, Players with money buys tons of items from Cash Shop, the amounts that only the poor can dream of

A) in Structure PVP , everyone is level 80 so............everyone is on equal footing, how does Cash Shop help me??

4) GEAR

A) GW2 has no Gear Grind ...........

So what the hell is Cash Shop gonna do for me that makes it Pay To Win ?!?!?!?!!?!?!?

Life is a Maze, so make sure you bring your GPS incase you get lost in it.

Comments

• ButtpuddleButtpuddle Member Posts: 6
    . I certainly wouldn't call myself a hater.. Just a skeptic (after playing SWTOR and the new WOW) and an unconvinced one after reading some GW2 content. I really want this game to succeed and be fun but Im also thinking this game may not be for me.

. The biggest gameplay turnoff is the lack of death penalty. The devs claim they are removing death penalties because dieing isnt fun. For me I like a significant swath penalty (eg xp loss or even better a corpse run) because it makes the rest of the game more exciting. When Im Adventuring in a new, higher level environment I want to feel like my character is in danger and there's a reason to want to stay alive. Without a death penalty I am nonchalant about seeing that herd of hostile birds or that giant with the massive hammer. To me, I agree that deaht is not fun, but the death penalty isn't in the game to make death fun - it's in the game to make all the alive time more entertaining and involved. The devs don't seem to understand this.

. I'm also less than convinced that they've abolished the holy trinity. Seems to me that they've given everyone a heal and replaced the healers heals with all the buffs. The devs say healing will be more "proactive" and less "reactive". I always choose a healer because they're most challenging. Replacing my healer with a bard who always casts the same buffs before things get hairy is not my idea of a challenge. I'd rather have the capacity to react and save desperate situations instead of conrtributing one of the 4 heals and hoping that my passive buffs will finishoff the job. Then again that's why I usually play healers instead of bards or shamans.

. I'm also really turned off by the f2play model. I have a job and I want to pay an MMO company to provide me with enough entertainment that I don't want to go buy a movie ticket because the MMO is unbalanced or lacking content after 2 months.

. I'm going to give it a chance, I'll probably leave when an MMO that punishes me for my deaths will once again restore that feeling of a great and potentially sacrificial adventure.

. Edit: apparently my space breaks are not showing up as they are in this iOS browser.. Fucjing Steve jobs lol. I attempted to indent space breaks but it'll likely remain a text wall.
  • Shroom_MageShroom_Mage Member UncommonPosts: 863
    Buttpuddle, I think you need to read some articles that weren't posted five years ago. The "Healing and Death" page is extremely outdated. A death penalty (armor damage) has since been added. Buffs don't last longer than a few seconds so your bard/shaman analogy is irrelevant. Also, several classes are now able to specialize in healing the party. You still can't outheal incoming damage, but you can support the party with healing in addition to buffs.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

• BunksBunks Member Posts: 960

you forgot hype....that's what's wrong with GW2, Hype!

• LucioonLucioon Member UncommonPosts: 819

Originally posted by Bunks

When you compare the HYPE that SWTOR and TSW have with GW2, I really can't see the similarity.

SWTOR = Bioware, Star Wars, The Old Republic. The hype was in the name not in how the game is played

TSW = Non Scifi, Non Fantasy, a combination of both in Modern World. The Hype is in the concept, and what ifs

GW2 = Anet, Non-trinity gameplay, Dynamic Events, W v W , Dodge mechanic, Dungeon with traps, Home instances, personal Stories that branches and evolves your home instance. The Hype of actual gaming mechanics.

• cutthecrapcutthecrap Member Posts: 600

Originally posted by Lucioon

When you compare the HYPE that SWTOR and TSW have with GW2, I really can't see the similarity.

SWTOR = Bioware, Star Wars, The Old Republic. The hype was in the name not in how the game is played

TSW = Non Scifi, Non Fantasy, a combination of both in Modern World. The Hype is in the concept, and what ifs

GW2 = Anet, Non-trinity gameplay, Dynamic Events, W v W , Dodge mechanic, Dungeon with traps, Home instances, personal Stories that branches and evolves your home instance. The Hype of actual gaming mechanics.

I really abhor biased and colored posts like this, no offense.

If you want to really make it equal then your comparison should be like

GW2 = ANet, GW sequel, being different from existing MMO's, 'not like WoW'.

Especially those last two have MMO gamers who've grown bored to death by existing gameplay and features, due to overplaying them for years, slobbering to the point of brainless ecstacy.

Besides that, there were other points that SWTOR and TSW had that triggers hype, but I can't be bothered to even mention them. Point being, there's valid and concrete points as well as hyperbole and emotional points to the hype of each of those 3 games, as well as a TERA, PS2, ArcheAge, Firefall etc. I suggest you be more objective next time.

Originally posted by cutthecrap

I really abhor biased and colored posts like this, no offense.

If you want to really make it equal then your comparison should be like

GW2 = ANet, GW sequel, being different from existing MMO's, 'not like WoW'.

Especially those last two have MMO gamers who've grown bored to death by existing gameplay and features, due to overplaying them for years, slobbering to the point of brainless ecstacy.

Besides that, there were other points that SWTOR and TSW had that triggers hype, but I can't be bothered to even mention them. Point being, there's valid and concrete points as well as hyperbole and emotional points to the hype of each of those 3 games, as well as a TERA, PS2, ArcheAge, Firefall etc. I suggest you be more objective next time.

What i meant was, for GW2 the hype is in the Dynamic Event, the non-trinity and how its different and you will see many talk about that aspect over and over in blogs, youtube videos and press beta videos. What I listed for GW2 was all what anyone talk about.

Yet When I was following SWTOR, everywhere you turn, you hear about how This is The Old Republic, its Bioware and their story telling, its Star Wars how can it go wrong. Rarely do you actually hear about the combat, the gameplay. It always comes second.

For TSW, I lost track in the forums, I tried to follow it but there was not enough information available. And with the demo shown in PAX east 2012, you actually have people buying the Lifetime subscriptions when Many posts that they are only buying because its different , its no longer fantasy or sci-fi but more of an combination as their biggest reasons.

Tera is definitely shaping up to be a good game as well, but because its actually already launched in Korea, not alot of Speculation to be done. If you want to see any Gameplay videos, look around for Korean Videos. Everything you need to know is already available, therefore it isn't HYPE, its reality. The only main difference is in the language.

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

Pre-Purchase , Cash Shop, stress test  , the three major problems with GW2?!?!?!?

really is this the only three problems that haters can think of for GW2!!

GW2 is a very different MMO, how do I know?? I don't, but its not based off Speculation its based off the information available.

1) W v W v W , servers are matched against each other every 2 weeks, after 2 weeks they change so you are constantly fighting against familiar strengthed Servers.

A) If you are matched against Familiar strengthed Servers, doesn't that mean if I have 90% of players that is Millionaires and buys tons and tons of Cash Shop items, they will also be matched up against other Servers that have 90% of players that is Millionaires that buys tons and tons of Cash Shop items.

So eventually, Millionaires makes Anet Milionaires then we get more expansions and more in game goodies....how is this bad

2) PVE, its Co-op mode, everyone helps each other, all loot is separate, all mining and harvesting points are separate

A) so if you buy tons of cash shop items....you get more influence and karma, and that provides you with???? more cosmetic gear!!!!  

3) Structured PVP, Players with money buys tons of items from Cash Shop, the amounts that only the poor can dream of

A) in Structure PVP , everyone is level 80 so............everyone is on equal footing, how does Cash Shop help me??

4) GEAR

A) GW2 has no Gear Grind ...........

So what the hell is Cash Shop gonna do for me that makes it Pay To Win ?!?!?!?!!?!?!?

All I'm seeing is MORE over-hyping of GW2 by the "Fan" base. Seriously, you need to stop. I see 5 threads like this per day.

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085

Okay, sure? They're hyped for different reasons, but the fever pitch is just as high. It's getting pretty ridiculous.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

im a fan but agree GW2 is overhyped

-- sooner those noNDA weekends start, the better

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

GW2 is way way over hyped and at the end of the day its just gonna feel and play liek every other recent MMO out there..

Everybody keeps posting how its gonna change the universe and cure all diseases.. i think those people will be a bit disappointed, not at first at first they will be yeah tis amazing totally awesome best game in the entire universe... then they will go quiet after a few weeks to a month adn then come backs months later slating the game to bo another wow clone LOL..

Anyway we all like different things GW2 will not be for everyone thats for sure but it will be popular and if you like it then good for you..

But please people stop posting silly threads over hyping this game for no reason at all..

Originally posted by Shroom_Mage

Buttpuddle, I think you need to read some articles that weren't posted five years ago. The "Healing and Death" page is extremely outdated. A death penalty (armor damage) has since been added. Buffs don't last longer than a few seconds so your bard/shaman analogy is irrelevant. Also, several classes are now able to specialize in healing the party. You still can't outheal incoming damage, but you can support the party with healing in addition to buffs.

i wasnt aware of the death penalty for armor damage

but regarding the Healing and Death page -- its only 18 months old (Nov 2010) not 5 years

Originally posted by Caldrin

GW2 is way way over hyped and at the end of the day its just gonna feel and play liek every other recent MMO out there..

Everybody keeps posting how its gonna change the universe and cure all diseases.. i think those people will be a bit disappointed, not at first at first they will be yeah tis amazing totally awesome best game in the entire universe... then they will go quiet after a few weeks to a month adn then come backs months later slating the game to bo another wow clone LOL..

Anyway we all like different things GW2 will not be for everyone thats for sure but it will be popular and if you like it then good for you..

But please people stop posting silly threads over hyping this game for no reason at all..

So apparently talking about GW2 is just HYPING it

Talking about confirmed Mechanics is Hyping it

Talking about how Cash Shop will not affect  GW2 is hyping it

Talking about how Pre-purchase is all optional is hyping it

So basically, posting any thread in GW2 forums talking about GW2 , discussing about GW2 , regardless of whether its information thats been confirmed or stated outright and shown in videos. As long as you are talking about GW2 you are HYPING it.

So what the hell can you do if you just want to discuss it!

• OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616

GW2 is a very different MMO, how do I know?? I don't, 

Really thats all you needed to say, thanks for coming and safe trip home!

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

What i meant was, for GW2 the hype is in the Dynamic Event, the non-trinity and how its different and you will see many talk about that aspect over and over in blogs, youtube videos and press beta videos. What I listed for GW2 was all what anyone talk about.

Yet When I was following SWTOR, everywhere you turn, you hear about how This is The Old Republic, its Bioware and their story telling, its Star Wars how can it go wrong. Rarely do you actually hear about the combat, the gameplay. It always comes second.

For TSW, I lost track in the forums, I tried to follow it but there was not enough information available. And with the demo shown in PAX east 2012, you actually have people buying the Lifetime subscriptions when Many posts that they are only buying because its different , its no longer fantasy or sci-fi but more of an combination as their biggest reasons.

Tera is definitely shaping up to be a good game as well, but because its actually already launched in Korea, not alot of Speculation to be done. If you want to see any Gameplay videos, look around for Korean Videos. Everything you need to know is already available, therefore it isn't HYPE, its reality. The only main difference is in the language.

SWTOR got hyped also for its story aspects, the class quests, decisions that supposedly had influence, the cover mechanic (well, you mentioned the dodge mechanic, I disagree with both), TSW gets hype for the classless system that allows to you create your own builds from 580 available skills, the atmospheric ingame environments, its interactive skill combo system, level-less system with statless gear, its interesting dungeons and its different crafting system.

Like I said, hype is hype no matter the game. There's some valid foundation to it as well as emotional and irrational stuff. GW2 definitely has both too.

Originally posted by Nadia

im a fan but agree GW2 is overhyped

-- sooner those noNDA weekends start, the better

This.

• dageezadageeza Member Posts: 578

I have had a good deal of hands on with GW2 and yes it is very different and yet familiar at the same time in a good way...

From what i was able to do and see in one very active weekend the one thing i know for sure is that the game is not overhyped and what anet says is in there is there...

My intent was to rip into the tradeskills since the media blokes always manage to come up short on them and i soon found out why they come up short on tradeskills for myself, this game kept me so busy adventuring and having fun in kryta with both a ranger and engineer that the tradeskills become an after thought and i mean like after the beta was over afterthought here..

GW2 is a bold evolution in mmo gaming and while i dont know what the content over level 25ish is like i look very forward to finding out, the funny thing is it appears that you could level all the way to 80 in one area if you for some reason wanted to due to the way your character has an "actual world level" and an "effective area based level" which means all low level content is always available at the appropriate and challenging level for instance even if you are a level 70 if you return to queensdale your effective level will be level 4..

The haters do not know what they are talking about and should be ignored as with any game there is valid questions and concerns but i trust anet to address them as time moves on...

Many players getting their hands on in this game will help ease many of the lies and misconceptions that the haters and trolls have brought forth..

Playing GW2..

Originally posted by Omnifish

I will end this thread finally without HYPING IT.

How about,

Guild Wars 2 Don't Discuss, Wait till Release !! Nothing to see here, buy if you want

How about,

Guild Wars 2 Don't Discuss, Wait till Release !! Nothing to see here, buy if you want

This is actually the kind of overreaction that I'm talking about, and which I find annoying in the current batch of over enthusiastic new GW2 fans: needless dramaqueening, extreme statements and reactions. Nobody's saying that GW2 shouldn't be discussed and that it's ALL hype and nothing founded in it.

You're the one making extreme statements, like saying that other MMO's was all baseless hype with no foundation or features in it, and saying that all hype around GW2 is 100% grounded in facts and features, or saying that GW2 shouldn't be discussed. I mean, chill, seriously image

Originally posted by dageeza

I have had a good deal of hands on with GW2 and yes it is very different and yet familiar at the same time in a good way...

From what i was able to do and see in one very active weekend the one thing i know for sure is that the game is not overhyped and what anet says is in there is there...

ANET is not overhyping the game, the fans are

everything may be there for the game itself -- but some fans are making claims like "GW2 is the next big thing"

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Originally posted by Caldrin

So apparently talking about GW2 is just HYPING it

Talking about confirmed Mechanics is Hyping it

Talking about how Cash Shop will not affect  GW2 is hyping it

Talking about how Pre-purchase is all optional is hyping it

So basically, posting any thread in GW2 forums talking about GW2 , discussing about GW2 , regardless of whether its information thats been confirmed or stated outright and shown in videos. As long as you are talking about GW2 you are HYPING it.

So what the hell can you do if you just want to discuss it!

Well to me it just sounded like you where hyping up the game...

Anyway there is jsut way too much crap gonig around about GW2 at the moment and im not even sure why im posting in a GW2 thread LOL ill go away now :)

• xDayxxDayx Member Posts: 712

Even though Im not going to play GW2 and am not a hater.

I will respond as if I thought it were possible to make an engaging themepark for me...

Ok there are several things 'wrong' with a cash shop

1) The second you take RL cash and morph it into an in-game item the RP is shattered. How did your character obtain that gear? I personally prefer a game where if your wearing something it was either dropped, crafted, or purchased from another character.

2) "Cosmetics" or "How cool you look" is somewhat of a competition of mine personally in all mmo's I have played. Once you add cosmetic items in the cash shop that aspect of the game is also gone.

Anyway, I hope GW2 a successful run.

Originally posted by cutthecrap

How about,

This is actually the kind of overreaction that I'm talking about, and which I find annoying in the current batch of over enthusiastic new GW2 fans: needless dramaqueening, extreme statements and reactions. Nobody's saying that GW2 shouldn't be discussed and that it's ALL hype and nothing founded in it.

You're the one making extreme statements, like saying that other MMO's was all baseless hype with no foundation or features in it, and saying that all hype around GW2 is 100% grounded in facts and features, or saying that GW2 shouldn't be discussed. I mean, chill, seriously image

Its my bad for making it sound like that, It was just based on my reaction thats all.

When I was following SWTOR all that was talked about was that Bioware is making it, actually thats all that sold me, Bioware, The Old Republic and that its Star Wars. Nothing really mattered to me after that, everything else was icing on the cake.  BTW I bought the CE edition for SWTOR $150

I shouldn't have stated it as if everyone thought the same, i should have mentioned that it was my Own Personal Experience and why I bought SWTOR and was thinking of looking into TSW

I also wanted to buy TERA because of the ART direction, the action mechanic, the Big Swords, their Politics

Yet after following GW2 and realizing that its quite different than other MMO's I started reading more and more into the different mechanics, which prompted that whole BETA video watching to see how are they making it work. How it will be different .

I never played GW1, i didn't like the feel of the game when it first came out.

Never played DAOC so no clue on R v R, but liked the concept of W v W, and when i saw how it actually worked in real in the videos, it was fun.

I fell for the SWTOR Hype, and was extremely cautious about GW2. Never actualy follow it till recently after SWTOR came out. I wasn't trying to hype it, just was trying to explain why Cash Shop shouldn't affect GW2 because its so different than other MMO available from my point of view.

Thought i was quite careful not adding to the Hype machine, was only trying to point out some of the issues that was over looked by the old MMO thinking ways.

• JesseBFoxJesseBFox Member Posts: 134

Shocking news: at mmorpg.com a new game is coming out and the forum for that game has a ton of people excited and making over the top statements in their excitement. 

*GASP*

I mean a lot of GW2 fans are going a bit over the top, but if you are sick of the hype....why not avoid the GW2 forums? Is it really that hard to do? Don't read the articles on GW2 on the front. Occupy your time with other things. Follow the game you like. Go for a walk. Whatever. It's not like anyone is chained to these forums. Otherwise just let them be happy with their excitement. Even if you think it will end in misery. Why does it matter so much to people. I dare say the people posting useless comments about hating the hype outnumber those who are posting the over the top comments.

• Storman1977Storman1977 Member Posts: 207

To put things in a little perspective on just how different GW2 is, lets look at some of the features, as they've been discussed here -

Active Combat with no need to Tab target - DDO, AoC, APB, and Fallen Earth did this years ago.

Dodging mechanic - DDO and Vindictus have had this since their respective launches.  TERA is supposed to, as is TSW.

W v W v W PvP - Aside from rts games, only realm vs. realm MMO I'm familiar with is WAR, and it was poorly executed.  Maybe EVE, but not sure.  So, point for somewhat original mechanic to GW2.

Cash Shop - Loads of games have them, loads of games claim they are for cosmetic purpose only, most fail miserably at maintaining cosmetic only.  The success or failure of GW2's cash shop becoming Pay 2 Win will not be visible at launch, but something that will or will not happen over time.

So basically, none of the ideas that so many "fanboi's" are bragging about are really original.  One sticking point, the cash shop, is not going to be an issue at launch.  GW2's style of combat dodging  has been done before, and done well (lets face it, one of the very few things that been done consistantly well in DDO is combat and evasion, and that's coming from a huge fan of the game).  What's going to make or break GW2 isn't going to be the mechanics, those have all been done before, to varying degrees of success.  But how well they're executed. 

I hope that they live up to the expectations, because that will light a fire under other developers to do things better and not be afraid to try mechanics that aren't staples of the genre (see WoW and it's numerous clones).

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005

I wouldn't sweat it, people are going to complain about anything. "hype" is a personal defintion word. So there are always going to feel that something gets too much attention.  There's no real defintion of "too much " attention. 

GW2 will be as reveiotinary as it has shown to play and been desscribed. Remember, we never got any evidence of this in swtor or any other game before it came out.  

Tha said, there ar problems.  WvW influence and multiple guilds reek of adding a system and not evaluting the other system thoroughly. I have confidence this will be corrected.  

• WolvardsWolvards Member Posts: 650

Originally posted by Storman1977

To put things in a little perspective on just how different GW2 is, lets look at some of the features, as they've been discussed here -

Active Combat with no need to Tab target - DDO, AoC, APB, and Fallen Earth did this years ago.

Dodging mechanic - DDO and Vindictus have had this since their respective launches.  TERA is supposed to, as is TSW.

W v W v W PvP - Aside from rts games, only realm vs. realm MMO I'm familiar with is WAR, and it was poorly executed.  Maybe EVE, but not sure.  So, point for somewhat original mechanic to GW2.

Cash Shop - Loads of games have them, loads of games claim they are for cosmetic purpose only, most fail miserably at maintaining cosmetic only.  The success or failure of GW2's cash shop becoming Pay 2 Win will not be visible at launch, but something that will or will not happen over time.

So basically, none of the ideas that so many "fanboi's" are bragging about are really original.  One sticking point, the cash shop, is not going to be an issue at launch.  GW2's style of combat dodging  has been done before, and done well (lets face it, one of the very few things that been done consistantly well in DDO is combat and evasion, and that's coming from a huge fan of the game).  What's going to make or break GW2 isn't going to be the mechanics, those have all been done before, to varying degrees of success.  But how well they're executed. 

I hope that they live up to the expectations, because that will light a fire under other developers to do things better and not be afraid to try mechanics that aren't staples of the genre (see WoW and it's numerous clones).

To be innovative doesn't exactly mean, "a new idea", just because dodge comes out with a new RAM truck and they claim it's innovative, is it completely new? GW2 is bringing the better parts of a lot of games we all liked for certain reasons, and putting them together, it's not that it is "new", it is that this is the first time all these have come together, and that has a lot of people excited, and as far as wvWvW, that isn't WAR, war was 2 sided like every other game, it comes from DAoC, which is epic :) And btw, i know some people do claim them as new, they are just too excited when typing hahah.

The "Youtube Pro": Someone who watches video's on said subject, and obviously has a full understanding of what is being said about such subject.