Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TERA to be the sleeper hit of 2012......

Comments

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527

Originally posted by Nadya3

Originally posted by chibineko89

Originally posted by chibineko89

Originally posted by Ngeldu5t

Originally posted by Deron_Barak

Originally posted by karmath

It really wont be.

While the combat is awesome, the best we have seen in recent years, but the rest of the game is the same ol' tired linear themepark.

Hyping it to be more than that is stupid.

Do you have any experience to base this statement off of? The reason I ask is that those that have played the current KTERA version don't all share that sentiment but maybe you have also played all the way through? I won't argue that the early game is a linear themepark and I don't like it.  However I keep being told by those that have played to endgame that it opens up.  Plus there is a lot of group content, both overworld and dungeon based, which has been sorely needed in themepark genre as of late.

There was a time when I thought it could be a sleeper hit but after trying CBT 3 I doubt that.I would say at best it would turn to F2P in a year and a half.Questing is boring as hell and people wont shell $60 to level to max to then enjoy the game.We are in 2012 the animations and combat are what really shines in this game,the political system is just a fantasy right now because no one has experienced it yet besides that everything feels 10 years too late.

some people, including myself prefer a game, that captures the old school flavor, with great graphics.  that   don't pretend to be something that isen't, that don't boost your expectations to heavens, and later turn into a huge dissapoinment.

Tera is not a game for everyone.  if you want something new, i really suggest you to try Swtor.  

GW2 does not offer anything new at all. at least not to me.   in fact,  the mega exciting dynamic events, have been done in other MMO before.

i don't want a MMO that can magically teleport me into the year 40000,(well that would be neat!p).  i  want toplay a MMO that provide me with constant entertainment.  that don't force me to buy crappy vanity items every week or so,  that can have a good costumer support.  that has a good and healthy community.  that provides me, with a virtual world i can explore.  that gives me a variety of things to do, once i get to max level.    so only time will tell, wether Tera will manage to deliver that or not.  

the sameway is absurd to  talk about all the wonders of GW2 and every other upcoming MMO that are not even in beta yet.  untill the game don't get released, 1 or 2 month after.   we can only make assumptions, or speculate, mostly based on wishful thinking.

gw2 breaks mmo standards

completely gearless based pvp

no mob tagging

pushes ppl to work together without barriers suchs as parties

everyone gets their own loot based on what they did

limiting players to about a dozen skills to b used at one time

no gear grinding

WvWvW 

no open world pve where you get ganked

there wont b pvp, pve,rp servers theres no need

can do almost anything in the game from lvl 1 dont have to get to max lvll to get the "real game"

a hybrid hotkey action mmo that takes physics into account(i have the highground i can shoot farther as an example)

no more reading quest txt 

no long list of  quests to do on the side on the UI

not bound by animations 

no holy trinity

im sure i could go on but gw2 does more to change MMOs than any other game ive seen recently

yes it is very obvious, that you are GW2 number one Fanboy.   it is obvious you won't play Tera ever,  what are you trying to acomplish exactly? 

actually i did try tera and i would play here and there if it was F2P or B2P but its not worth the sub

no im not a GW2 fanboy i have other games im looking foreward to and gw2 will b just to pass the time

i prefer Tera ,  because i haven't played GW2  so no clue how all those wonderful things you keep prasing so much will work, a month or 2 after the game gets released.

niether i can't say i will love Tera a month or 2,  maybe will be a boredom paradise.   i think i rather find out by myself, and not base my decisions, upon what a very bias person, who has not even 1 % of my gaming interests could tell me.

tera combat is  still behind times even PSU's action combat flows better and its like 5 years old now

sorry but none of what you list, makes it all that wonderful to me.    most of those features have already been done in other games, in one way or another.

only time will tell.

oh i happen to love,  what you call the Holy Trinity

gw2 takes everything alot of ppl hate in MMOs and gets rid of it

no more LF heals, tanks

no quest grinds

no monster grinds

no gear grind

equal pvp

end game starts at lvl1

no monster taging

since WoW nothing has gone away from the mmo standard to this extent

its about having fun not about making the player grind endlessly and make them addicted to grinding that new peice of gear.

if you want you carrot on a stick gamplay then by all means play tera,swtor,wow,rift and follow that carrot if thats what you call fun, its like a hampster in a hampster wheel 

once again, you generalise (not everyone likes the samethings).   is all very subjective,  and all based on your very Bias personal opinion.

all of the things, you highlight in green as a negative.  are all good for me.

i don't mind grinding, in fact is relaxing. 

i like grouping,  in fact that s the reason i play MMO to begin with,  if i wanted to  do dynamic quests alone all day long, i would play single player games to begin with.  or read a book

i love the holy trinity system,  everyone has a function a role,  i love playing as main healer classes.  what do you mean with no monster taging?

i love gear grinding.  in fact  it gives me something to look for,  working hard, to get a nice looking outfit.  gives me a sense of acomplishment.

can care less about pvp.  to me,  so not a priority for me in games.

i love monster grinding.

once again, you can see, that you can't generalise things based upon a personal opinion.  what may work for you, may not do so for many others.

wow is still the most popular MMO in the west.  so it really can't be that bad

Tbh I havent been following GW2 at all I play the first one hated it gave the account to a friend, with everything he's listed in green it sounds like I really wouldn't like GW2 either , from what it sounds like getting rid of what everyone hates in a MMO makes GW2 not even sound like a MMO where everyone is a special snowflake, if there is no quest grind what is there to do deathmatches in PVP? What is the longetivity to the game if there is nothing to do but kill things? Of course this is just my opinion but that doesn't even sound fun.

I'll keep the stuff I like in MMOs that are NOT WoW or the multiudes of its clone army (TOR,etc)

• StyleGamingStyleGaming Member Posts: 43

I really to like to see all the hate aginst Tera. All the GW2 fanbois are threatened aginst it and I personally think it is funny the logic they come up with.

Can't wait until 10pm EST to create my char!

- http://www.youtube.com/user/myfreestylegaming

AC>EQ>War>EVE>AoC>Aion>SWTOR>FireFall>Tera/GW2

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

TERA will *not* be a hit.  Too many things against it.

Korean games do not do well in the west 

Everything about the game, outside of the combat and graphics, is generic

The games first 20 levels do not put out an impression that the game is remotely difficult, the easiest 1-20 weve ever seen

The fourth thing that could kill it is the community, but Ill just chalk the atrocious community up to beta.  

• N1njaPwnStarN1njaPwnStar Member Posts: 83

Originally posted by teakbois

TERA will *not* be a hit.  Too many things against it.

Korean games do not do well in the west 

Everything about the game, outside of the combat and graphics, is generic

The games first 20 levels do not put out an impression that the game is remotely difficult, the easiest 1-20 weve ever seen

The fourth thing that could kill it is the community, but Ill just chalk the atrocious community up to beta.  

^

• Nadya3Nadya3 Member Posts: 348

Originally posted by StyleGaming

I really to like to see all the hate aginst Tera. All the GW2 fanbois are threatened aginst it and I personally think it is funny the logic they come up with.

the Haters, only make us like the game more. 

do what i do, and don't give a damn, about what anyone says here.  just follow your own instinct.  

i hate cupcakes.

• BoatsmateBoatsmate Member Posts: 208

I fell asleep at the keyboard one time healing a Raid. When I woke everyone was dead. I was not a sleeper hit.

Ballerinas are always on their toes. Why don't they just get taller ballerinas?

• BigBadWolfeBigBadWolfe Member Posts: 143
    I too am getting sick of these forums. The bias is too obvious, Tera players can't say that they like their own game in their own sub-forum without being harrassed.
    However a person makes a thread asking what's so great about GW2, and it gets locked.

The only recourse I can see now is to link Tera players to other more respectable forums.

On topic, Tera will fail or succeed based solely on if En Masse plans to market their game or not. As much as forum trolls swear their uninformed opinions matter, they don't.

At the same time if En Masse doesn't openly advertise their game nobody will play it because nobody will know about it.
  • Nadya3Nadya3 Member Posts: 348

Originally posted by Boatsmate

I fell asleep at the keyboard one time healing a Raid. When I woke everyone one dead. I was not a sleeper hit.

i hated  wow style Raids myself!p  spent 98 % of the time, polishing my nails out of boredom.  then having to hear the annoying, bossy raid leader, yelling constantly, explaining things 5 times,  with the same squeeky voice.   it gives me, nightmares just to think about it.

I think it speaks volumes about the potental TERA community that people that offer vald criticism are automatically 'fanbois' of another game or haters.

When someone posts a thread saying TERA will be a hit, people are going to come in and give arguments for and against it.  if you cant handle criticism about your game you shouldnt enter a thread that will obviously contain it.

Originally posted by BigBadWolfe

On topic, Tera will fail or succeed based solely on if En Masse plans to market their game or not. As much as forum trolls swear their uninformed opinions matter, they don't.

Rift has had an enormous marketing push, is more of a broad appeal game, and has closed over 2/3rds of their servers after one year.  Marketing only works if the game is something people will want to pay, and based on the list I gave above  think the appeal is very limited.  TERA wont fail, but it wont be over 200k subs by this time next year.

• wyldmagikwyldmagik Member UncommonPosts: 516

Originally posted by Boatsmate

I fell asleep at the keyboard one time healing a Raid. When I woke everyone one dead. I was not a sleeper hit.

i hated  wow style Raids myself!p  spent 98 % of the time, polishing my nails out of boredom.  then having to hear the annoying, bossy raid leader, yelling constantly, explaining things 5 times,  with the same squeeky voice.   it gives me, nightmares just to think about it.

Heh, thanks for the image that made, most amusing :D

• nerrollusnerrollus Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 214

Doubt it ... Tera really isn't that great of a game. I was tired of it in less than an hour.

• StyleGamingStyleGaming Member Posts: 43

I think it speaks volumes about the potental TERA community that people that offer vald criticism are automatically 'fanbois' of another game or haters.

When someone posts a thread saying TERA will be a hit, people are going to come in and give arguments for and against it.  if you cant handle criticism about your game you shouldnt enter a thread that will obviously contain it.

Okay well tell me why every GW2 fanboi feels the need to come into the TERA form to give "criticism" on how bad Tera is and how good GW2. Look at the other threads for proof. 

On that note I didn't see any TERA fanbois going to GW2 form to flame them, shows the age difference between communitys.

- http://www.youtube.com/user/myfreestylegaming

AC>EQ>War>EVE>AoC>Aion>SWTOR>FireFall>Tera/GW2

• BreakingeBreakinge Member UncommonPosts: 44

I really can't understand what is with all that hate towards TERA. The only thing that keeps me away from buying TERA atm is the cost. I can't afford myself both gw2 and TERA, but seeing how ANet only said  " it will come out in 2012" i will most likely buy TERA and then sometime later the year GW2. All that hate for their quest system is plain stupid, I only know of GW2 that tried a different approach and now all other games are shi*

Seriously in the end it is all about enjoying a game or did i miss somewhere that games have become something bigger than what they are ment for ?   ( having fun )

I agree with one part it will be a sleeper.. as for a hit roflcakes. just roflcakes.

Lineage+dodge+aim.

although i do like the fox chick and the pug dog races and how all the classes but humans/rock monster look like chicks.. everyone wants to play a pretty elf male run around fairy land wieldin a big sword i mean i just cant wait to log in and make my char to its gunna be so awsome playing a male/female cross dressing pwnstar.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Even if TERA turns out to be an amazing game play experience, it will not be a "sleeper hit" due simply to the fact that the IP will turn many people off and it isn't from a well known western publisher.

Sad but true.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

I don't think anyone is threatened by it. I have been invited to 4 beta weekends by TERA, but just couldnt be bothered logging in after the first.

I admit that I do love the Popori race though, its a shame they are stuck in such a generic and boring MMO.

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

<>

Criticism, arguments against it.

Cons/criticism/arguments I can acknowledge or agree with and you wouldn't hear a PEEP out of me:

• like aion it's worth playing if F2P or B2P but its just not worth $15 a month if i wasnt in college i could alwys play lots and farm in game currency and buy the time scrolls but i dont have that kind of time now do i want to have to grind gear on the infinitly expanding gear tredmill also if tera combat didnt root you in place with animation locks i would enjoy it more (chibineko89)

• While the combat is awesome, the best we have seen in recent years, but the rest of the game is the same ol' tired linear themepark. (kind of agree with this)

• Questing is boring as hell and people wont shell $60 to level to max to then enjoy the game.

• if an mmo doesnt capture your attention and start off fun, then thats the way it is.

• I foresee the same route as SWTOR for this game, some people will like it but most will move on. Awesome combat system, great graphics but not much else to differentiate from the rest.

• But it is the same ol' tired crap + an awesome combat system, nothing more, nothing less.

What would you call these?

• wait..did you say sleeper hit or it will put you to sleep?

• TERA failed in Korea and it'll do the same here.

• So i heard you like Grinding, lame excuse for a combat system (when you walk and shoot it's first going to stand still and then shoot). I've got a game for you, it's called TERA. Fail excuse for a MMO. Grinding, grinding, grinding

• TERA will be RIFT 2.0.

• In other words, a mediocre game

• MusikMusik Member Posts: 22

MW2/3 = GW2 

BF3 = Tera

If you don't get it don't bother replying.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

Originally posted by NBlitz

Any other TERA fans getting sick of following the TERA forums? It's the same folks, same crap but different day.

I CANNOT WAIT until the lot of you disappear into GW2 and forget about this niche title. Niche title but loved by its fan base.

I've gone from title to title and discussed the one I left during that time but never to the extent some of you have and still are. 

You're kidding yourself if you think you're discussing anything. What you're doing is trying to put down others for their preferences. To make yourself feel better because you're a wretch.

This game reminds me a lot of ddo. Every second post here was about how much it sucked and would fail in 3 months. It's now the longest running chapter of the multi game community I'm part of.

But I sometimes wonder why so many people put so much effort into hateing a game. There is something wrong with people who spend so much time and effort on something they don't like or have no interest in.

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

I'm actually thinking NEVERWINTER will be this year's sleeper hit.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,823

Originally posted by BadSpock
    Even if TERA turns out to be an amazing game play experience, it will not be a "sleeper hit" due simply to the fact that the IP will turn many people off and it isn't from a well known western publisher.
    Sad but true.

What about the IP will turn many people off?

Rift isnt from a well known publisher and it has done quite well in the past year.

Hopefully, your subsequent posts are a little less sad and a little more truth.

• LESTATx75LESTATx75 Member UncommonPosts: 24

Instead of arguing why GW2 will be the best and why Tera will fail, shouldn't we really be rejoicing? The more MMOs that are released, the more CHOICES we have as MMO players. Some people are sure to enjoy what Tera has to offer, and others will enjoy GW2, SWTOR, WoW, The Secret World etc. I don't understand the constant bickering about which game is better than which. Technically, no game is really better than the other as it all comes down to personal preference.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

Well, Tera is the only game I'm actually excited for but primarily becasue there is a lot that is a bit more old school. Having said that, I doubt it will be a sleeper hit. More like a game that attracts a die hard niche audience.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo