Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How many copies of the game do you think were sold on April 10th?

Comments

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

Too many for a game that is still under NDA.

Likely around 250k.

• Gel214thGel214th Member UncommonPosts: 188

Saw the Cash shop leaked screens.

The items are exactly what I thought they would be, and almost exactly what they are in all other Free to Play games with Cash Shops.

I think the ignorance level is high from people that have never played one of those games, but are commenting on how awful the Guild Wars 2 cash shop is. It seems quite normal.

And if this is what they plan, I am definitely purchasing, I hope they don't change a thing.

• VortigonVortigon Member UncommonPosts: 723

About 125k - 150k - there are only so many stupid people in the world at any one time. (me included) :P

• kzaskekzaske Member UncommonPosts: 518

The first game I pre-ordered was Star Trek Online, which I have yet to actually install.  This is the first time I have actually pre-purchased two copies of a game.  But this is ArenaNet we are talking about so I know I will be playing it for at least six months.

To adress the OP's question.  I think they have sold about 1,500,000 copies.  I have a lot of friends that are buying two or more copies for thier families (one friend ended up buying 15 copies; I don't understand why).

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Honestly, I don't think they have sold as many as they would have liked to.

They are hitting the PR hard with new dev blogs on the CE and such.

I bet pre-purchases will pick up a lot after a couple of beta weekends and maybe a launch date is announced.

I'd expect 1 million+ or so at launch, then the rest is all dependant on how good the game is and how well good reviews/word of mouth spreads.

That being said, just about every new AAA MMO seems to get about 1 million+ subs at launch.

Hype for GW2 is pretty huge, but we'll see how big the marketing campaign is closer to release.

• xposeidonxposeidon Member Posts: 384

Considering the sudden stress beta test today, i think the numbers are high. BTW many people talk about pre-order. Remember this poll asked about pre-purchases, pre-orders are probably way high.

Remember... all I'm offering is the truth. Nothing more.

• VortigonVortigon Member UncommonPosts: 723

They will sell a lot more once they wake and realise people need a release date before throwing money around on trust (who would trust an MMORPG developer? lol )

• crysentcrysent Member UncommonPosts: 841

4 and a half copies! 

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Originally posted by BadSpock

Honestly, I don't think they have sold as many as they would have liked to.

They are hitting the PR hard with new dev blogs on the CE and such.

I bet pre-purchases will pick up a lot after a couple of beta weekends and maybe a launch date is announced.

I'd expect 1 million+ or so at launch, then the rest is all dependant on how good the game is and how well good reviews/word of mouth spreads.

That being said, just about every new AAA MMO seems to get about 1 million+ subs at launch.

Hype for GW2 is pretty huge, but we'll see how big the marketing campaign is closer to release.

They invested a lot.

I wouldnt be suprised that SWTOR = GW2 investment

So its only natural they are pushing PR hard.

Preorder is not that popular with core gamers , But you can also be sure that everyone and their dog will play GW2

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Three pre-purchases here... one CE and two Digi-deluxe.

Hmm... so since we're an average family, meaning the average family pre-purchased three, extrapolate that out to the full number of average families in the world... four billion.

More realisticly, I expect nearly 2 million people to be taking advantage of the three day head start.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• jerkbeastjerkbeast Member UncommonPosts: 255

My guild has 65 pre purchases already....so the grand total is about...100. :D

• pedrostrikpedrostrik Member UncommonPosts: 396

it will be around 1 million

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • camil82camil82 Member UncommonPosts: 50

how long do you have to wait to get your game code for the game after we do preorder for it?

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

since there was +1 million beta registrations...

I'd say  around 500.000

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Originally posted by korent1991

I'd say  around 500.000

There would have been more, but ANet shut off the registration process shortly after it hit 1 million.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• fundayzfundayz Member Posts: 463

I think people are overestimating how many copies were pre-purchased.

Although avid MMO players and hardcore GW2 fans likely purchased the game as soon as possible, there are still a lot of people wary of buying an unfinished product even if it looks like it's going to be amazing (and wisely so).

In addition, unless you are buying a CE there is no reason to rush into the purchase. Personally, I am waiting to see their beta weekend schedule before I pre-purchase to make sure I'll be able to participate.

My guess is around 100k copies, if that. However, even that would be an impressive number for a product still in development with no set release date.

I'd say  around 500.000

There is absolutely no way 50% of beta registrants pre-purchased. The majority of beta registrants for any game only have a passing interest in the game. Even 20% would be an outstanding success for ArenaNet.

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

Originally posted by fundayz

I'd say  around 500.000

There is absolutely no way 50% of beta registrants pre-purchased. The majority of beta registrants for any game only have a passing interest in the game. Even 20% would be an outstanding success for ArenaNet.

Not exactly...  Since most of the GW1 players will buy GW2 as well, and not everyone registered for beta (I know a lot of people in my guild who just don't like betas so they didn't register), it's even a small number to begin with... You must keep that in mind...

Most of the players in my alliance bought the game on the 1st day, and I'm sure the situation is the same in most of the active alliances... 

My girlfriend wanted to buy the game the next day but she wanted to see if she can get it at the retailer (dunno, she gets the box or something so she wanted it :D ) but they sold out everything (even the pre-purchase on CE) and they had only pre-orders left. So I wouldn't be surprised if the numbers were even bigger in the end..

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

I would love to see some numbers about how many people pre-purchased.

I am going to tweet them

[i just did, now wayting for an answer]

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• KwintpodKwintpod Member Posts: 262

I'm guessing between 30-70k

People guessing as high as 500k-1 mil are forgetting that there is a huge gap between signing up for a free beta and pre-purchasing a game(without a release date, bladiebladiebla). I signed up for the Tera and TSW beta and have no interest whatsoever in buying these games at release, and I'd think it's the same for most people.

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347

I didn't buy the 10th i was working, i bought it the 11th .. should ask the first week.

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Originally posted by Kwintpod

I'm guessing between 30-70k

People guessing as high as 500k-1 mil are forgetting that there is a huge gap between signing up for a free beta and pre-purchasing a game(without are release date, bladiebladiebla). I signed up for the Tera and TSW beta and have no interest whatsoever in buying these games at release, and I'd think it's the same for most people.

I think you are way off...

Dont forget beta signups only lasted 50 hours, GW2 is currently hot topic number 1 in every general chat from every MMO and in 90% of all guilds. Its hype flew so high that by now everyone wants to see and experience it for themselves.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

I simply don't believe that many people want to buy games without release dates. Sure all the fans will buy it. but I think we are only looking at like 150k-300k people here. When we will get closer to release I bet they will sell like 1 mil. just b/c people will want to get 3 day head start but right now I doubt the figures will be as high as some expect. besides i doubt aNet wants 500k during all beta weekends. they limited the number of physical copies almost in every country.

• mrshroom89mrshroom89 Member UncommonPosts: 224

OTHER: NOT AS MANY AS SWTOR

C

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802

Originally posted by QSatu

I simply don't believe that many people want to buy games without release dates. Sure all the fans will buy it. but I think we are only looking at like 150k-300k people here. When we will get closer to release I bet they will sell like 1 mil. just b/c people will want to get 3 day head start but right now I doubt the figures will be as high as some expect. besides i doubt aNet wants 500k during all beta weekends. they limited the number of physical copies almost in every country.

why not... most of us can deduct that the game isn't far off from release and we know Anet well enough to know they won't lock in a date until they are sure. If this were a shady company we would have doubts but they are not so we do not.