Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Tanks: 24 Million Reasons to Be Tankful

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Wargaming.net has pulled out all the stops for the first anniversary of the release of World of Tanks. According to WG.net, World of Tanks has scored over 24M registered players and is considered one of the fastest growing free-to-play MMOs in the world.

Over the past year, virtual tankmen from around the globe have:

• Participated in more than 350 million battles

• Fired more than 75 billion shells with 48 billion direct hits

• Destroyed almost 8 billion armored vehicles

Find out more about World of Tanks.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• makiimakii Member Posts: 280

sorry but i dont belive it.

It means like there were more games played in world of tanks that ever in Counterstrike in the past years!

• gilgamesh42gilgamesh42 Member Posts: 300

games take a few mins and u can do multiple games at once ;D

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

Pretty amazing. WoW killer anyone ?

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

Nah, but  a great game none the less 

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372

Great game, other than a couple months break from it I've been tanking most days :P

The only real minus to me are the gold rounds but you don't encounter them constantly so it isn't too bad.  Overall this is a great game for anyone who likes teamwork based PvP and likes a game you can login for 10-20-30 minutes, get a few matches and logout again.  Great for casual play, imo.

Am ready for some x5's this will prompt me to finally maybe buy my Ferdinand, AMX 50 100, 4502A, T-44, Panther, some of the multitude of tanks I've been putting off buying lately, lol.

• eric_w66eric_w66 Member UncommonPosts: 1,006

If you play the game past tier 5, you'll be paying. Not that that is a horrible thing, the price when you buy premium for a month is comparable to other MMO's. Just don't give in to the temptation I did and keep a bunch of elite tanks around and farm the xp for conversion to "free xp"... free xp isn't ;) lol. I spent more on gold to convert that xp than a couple years worth of sub money to a normal MMO. I learned my lesson.

Now I play mostly low level tanks to build up cash (credits), and the odd higher tier battle when I need to blast stuff big time. Having 22 tanks made my old habit of doing the "daily" double xp gain for a win thing take HOURS ;). Now I play 3-5 matches a night on average, and it's fun, and free.

• sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458

These people aren't any I would ever trust to so much as tell me the sky is blue.

• EduardoASGEduardoASG Member Posts: 832

pay 2 win game.. i have my doubts about how they counted those numbers..

Aion, AoC, AC, AO, DDO, Eve, Eq2, GW, MW3, L1&2, RF, RIFT, SWG, SWTOR, TR, UO, WOW, WAR
  • WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

This game is very popular in Russia, I have no doubt of those numbers.

It's also not a pay to win game, if you had played it you would not say that.  It's got some issues that piss me off royally, but it's not pay to win.  People just see that you can buy gold ammo and automatically think pay to win, it's not.  You will not encounter them very often if at all. 

It is a fun game and you can play it casually.  I play for free right now when I feel like it.

• Shanks123Shanks123 Member UncommonPosts: 99

Originally posted by eric_w66

If you play the game past tier 5, you'll be paying. Not that that is a horrible thing, the price when you buy premium for a month is comparable to other MMO's. Just don't give in to the temptation I did and keep a bunch of elite tanks around and farm the xp for conversion to "free xp"... free xp isn't ;) lol. I spent more on gold to convert that xp than a couple years worth of sub money to a normal MMO. I learned my lesson.

Now I play mostly low level tanks to build up cash (credits), and the odd higher tier battle when I need to blast stuff big time. Having 22 tanks made my old habit of doing the "daily" double xp gain for a win thing take HOURS ;). Now I play 3-5 matches a night on average, and it's fun, and free.

iv made it into teir 8 never paid a single dollar. you dont need to pay to win you need to be good to win

I'm Here. I'm Awesome. Get Used To It.

• YellowbearddYellowbeardd Member UncommonPosts: 83

for a game still in beta amazed how so many still play it.

• dbonelli80dbonelli80 Member Posts: 7

Originally posted by Shanks123

iv made it into teir 8 never paid a single dollar. you dont need to pay to win you need to be good to win

Play that tier 8 and nothing else. Tell me how that works out for you ;)

Me:

Battles Participated:

3 982

Victories:

2 204 (55%)

Defeats:

1 683 (42%)

Battles Survived:

1 065 (27%)

I do better than most ;).

Shanks123 on the other hand.... ;)

Battles Participated:

1 417

Victories:

682 (48%)

Defeats:

709 (50%)

Battles Survived:

264 (19%)

And I don't see any tier 8 vehicles listed ;) Maybe that isn't you.... but I bet it is. :) 

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

So you have the time to grind big deal, the 99% of the rest of us do not.  A good gold ammo player will always own you anyways.  You can mock it all you want, it is still a pay-to-win game not to say you can't have fun at the lower levels, but like any the so called f2p games, if you want to play with the big boys, you can end up spending a lot.  

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

Originally posted by Suzie_Ford

Wargaming.net has pulled out all the stops for the first anniversary of the release of World of Tanks. According to WG.net, World of Tanks has scored over 24M registered players and is considered one of the fastest growing free-to-play MMOs in the world.

Marketing spin is fantastic nowadays. Currently there are ONLY 1800 players playing simultaneously at almost any given time. This means, that on average, they have roughl 250,000 unique people logging in per week. Take note that it doesn't mean they're GAINING 250,000 per week. It means they do NOT have 24million players, but only around 250k.

Also, ANY registered account EVER is counted as a "Player", and they NEVER look @ activity, only registration. Not to mention the fact that WoT is so BADLY unbalanced & Pay-To-Win it's rediculous. Friend of mine has dropped around $4000 into the game since it launched (he manages 5 stores in my area...go figure?) and he has a higher rating than me, but a lesser kill-ratio. Meaning, since he had the money to BUY tier-8 GOLD tanks & get into higher fights earlier than me he's roughly a YEAR ahead of me in XP.

I still beat him in 1v1 duels so it's "OK" i guess :P? Money does NOT equal skill ....just saying!

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• barrydbarryd Member UncommonPosts: 10

Originally posted by Fadedbomb

Marketing spin is fantastic nowadays. Currently there are ONLY 1800 players playing simultaneously at almost any given time. This means, that on average, they have roughl 250,000 unique people logging in per week. Take note that it doesn't mean they're GAINING 250,000 per week. It means they do NOT have 24million players, but only around 250k.

Also, ANY registered account EVER is counted as a "Player", and they NEVER look @ activity, only registration. Not to mention the fact that WoT is so BADLY unbalanced & Pay-To-Win it's rediculous. Friend of mine has dropped around $4000 into the game since it launched (he manages 5 stores in my area...go figure?) and he has a higher rating than me, but a lesser kill-ratio. Meaning, since he had the money to BUY tier-8 GOLD tanks & get into higher fights earlier than me he's roughly a YEAR ahead of me in XP.

I still beat him in 1v1 duels so it's "OK" i guess :P? Money does NOT equal skill ....just saying!

You, sir, are a liar.

To say that only 1800 people are on at any given time is a complete fabrication. It makes me think you don't play the game at all to throw out such a ridiculous number. In fact, last night there were over 26,000 on. Yesterday morning there were 13,000. Not 1,800, but 13,000, in the morning, on the east coast.

I have been playing this game since closed beta and the numbers have been steadily rising. Just a few months ago you would see 18-20k on at prime time, max. Now it's in the mid 20's.

Fun game. Get into a good clan, get on TS, laugh at how terrible some players are and enjoy the comraderie.

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

Me:

Battles Participated:

3 982

Victories:

2 204 (55%)

Defeats:

1 683 (42%)

Battles Survived:

1 065 (27%)

Battles Participated:

1 417

Victories:

682 (48%)

Defeats:

709 (50%)

Battles Survived:

264 (19%)

And I don't see any tier 8 vehicles listed ;) Maybe that isn't you.... but I bet it is. :) 

So Shanks123 here is the same Shanks123 there?  BTW stats mean little other than epeen stroking for those that fail at the ultimate MMO - life.

Notice your name here isn't the same on the WoT official site.............hummmm.

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

Originally posted by barryd

You, sir, are a liar.

To say that only 1800 people are on at any given time is a complete fabrication. It makes me think you don't play the game at all to throw out such a ridiculous number. In fact, last night there were over 26,000 on. Yesterday morning there were 13,000. Not 1,800, but 13,000, in the morning, on the east coast.

I have been playing this game since closed beta and the numbers have been steadily rising. Just a few months ago you would see 18-20k on at prime time, max. Now it's in the mid 20's.

Fun game. Get into a good clan, get on TS, laugh at how terrible some players are and enjoy the comraderie.

Dont forget the russian and Euro servers...Hvent logged into Euro..but played on teh Russian for a bit..saw 3 servers..and the one I logged into had around 150k players..though that might mean 150k players through the 3 servers, irregardless, that's a lot of folks playing and more than likely enought to bring the numbers Wargamming Stated...is there gonna be some marketing spin on  it..sure..but for the most part they are "close"

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• Tallic234Tallic234 Member UncommonPosts: 27

Some of you forget the game is free to play. They will not delete any accounts (IMO) because someone may come back and play the game  again when they get board of killing computer run mobs. The biggest thing going for the game is your playing against players and not a computer program. I know of a few players that haven't spent a dime on the game. It's harder to level and make money in game but you can be done. Once you max out your crew training and equip your vehicle with the highest equipment you can research for your tank you will be on even ground with everyone else that buys premium. The only thing Premium give you is more credits per match.

• kljuc1kljuc1 Member Posts: 3

• kljuc1kljuc1 Member Posts: 3

why are u showing your intelect and mathematics skills when u dont have it?

Last night during clan wars on european server 70k+ players, on Russian server 150k+, American server dont know, and on China server dont know ....

only in 1 day we overpassed your weekly calculation.... lol

and + this is not p2win game, need team cooperation to kill something (in most case), and most important need brain to learn what tanks have weak spots and skill to shoot them...

but i can understand these kids frustration..... brain, skills and team play thats too much for them in 1 shooter...

according to last WoT community age poll, result was 25+ yrs in more then 5k participated players... etc etc

Wargaming rules and thats fact!

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123

I have an account.

I have 6 tanks, 1 rank 7, 2 rank 6, 3 rank 5.

I have never spent a single penny.

I have had many hours of fun.

I couldn't tell you who pays to win and who doesn't, all tanks can kill me, I can kill all tanks.  The game is, from my experience, NOT play to win and it is certainly not pay to play. In fact, players that do not pay to play are often more experienced that those that do and in this game experience is more important then money.

Great game, highly reccomended for casual fun.

Originally posted by MMOGamer71

Me:

Battles Participated:

3 982

Victories:

2 204 (55%)

Defeats:

1 683 (42%)

Battles Survived:

1 065 (27%)

Battles Participated:

1 417

Victories:

682 (48%)

Defeats:

709 (50%)

Battles Survived:

264 (19%)

So Shanks123 here is the same Shanks123 there?  BTW stats mean little other than epeen stroking for those that fail at the ultimate MMO - life. 

Notice your name here isn't the same on the WoT official site.............hummmm.

Using same user names is bad security mojo ;). And what he said matched close to what the stats said for the same user ID, which is a fairly unique one: the WoT shanks123 has tier 7 vehicles, not tier 8, but perhaps he's "unlocked" tier 8, and not been able to afford one yet, which is one of my points that he was trying to contradict. Once you get higher level, it becomes nearly impossible to support yourself playing ONLY higher level vehicles. They just nerfed income on the higher tier vehicles even more than it was, so basically, you have to do awesome AND win to break even in the high tier vehicles. Lose or do poorly, your ammo costs alone will eat what you make, let alone repairs and consumables.

I wouldn't have brought stats into it, except he mentioned you had to be good to win consistently. I agree wholeheartedly. I AM good, not the best, but I'm in the top 5000 in avg xp per battle. And even though I am "good", I cannot solely play my high tier toys, especially without paying for premium. Which was the point I was trying to make. Which you obviously missed. Speaking of fails...

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136

Originally posted by MMOGamer71

Me:

Battles Participated:

3 982

Victories:

2 204 (55%)

Defeats:

1 683 (42%)

Battles Survived:

1 065 (27%)

Battles Participated:

1 417

Victories:

682 (48%)

Defeats:

709 (50%)

Battles Survived:

264 (19%)

So is this the name you use on WOT? I can't seem to find MMOgamer71 in the stats. Hmmmmmmm

People who say stats mean nothing are usually bad players.