Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TERA to be the sleeper hit of 2012......

Comments

• HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672

lol +1 nadya!!!! you mean you arent a fanboi (gurl) of gw2! zomg ur not allowed on this website :P (i feel ur pain)

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

• chibineko89chibineko89 Member CommonPosts: 107

Originally posted by Nadya3

Originally posted by karmath

It really wont be.

While the combat is awesome, the best we have seen in recent years, but the rest of the game is the same ol' tired linear themepark.

Hyping it to be more than that is stupid.

you forgot to add, how wonderful , unique, and different GW2 will be.

Big Roll of eyes for you!

gw2 will be different thats for sure

they are breaking alot of mmo standards

wont know if its fun though till i can try it out

• Deron_BarakDeron_Barak Member Posts: 1,136

It really wont be.

While the combat is awesome, the best we have seen in recent years, but the rest of the game is the same ol' tired linear themepark.

Do you have any experience to base this statement off of? The reason I ask is that those that have played the current KTERA version don't all share that sentiment but maybe you have also played all the way through? I won't argue that the early game is a linear themepark and I don't like it.  However I keep being told by those that have played to endgame that it opens up.  Plus there is a lot of group content, both overworld and dungeon based, which has been sorely needed in themepark genre as of late.

Just not worth my time anymore.

• HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672

Past lvl 22 it gets less linear. you have several places to lvl at all times form that point on. Most never got that far in betas but believe me theres plenty to do later on :) Though still. I will admit. They really didnt even need quests in this game. Should have just kept it as a monster hunter game and got rid of a lot of the rpg questing element. Focus on whats great. :)

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

• JabasJabas Member UncommonPosts: 1,249

2012 is a great year for mmorpg market, so it is for us gamers.

Even i suspect i will not stay long in any of them (still pessimist), we have TERA, GW2 and TSW so more power to us for the diversity. And the end of 2011 wasnt bad either with lunch of SWTOR where alot of players still have fun playing (i never play SWTOR and not thinking playin, its just not my style).

About the 3 games i mentioned for now i only care about TERA, why? Because it has a release date and is just right next month. The others 2 i dont know yet and dont care untill close to release date.

I hope to have fun in all of them, even if it is only 1 or 2 months (still have my tottaly free Linage 2 if all fail in long term for me)  image

• DOGMA1138DOGMA1138 Member UncommonPosts: 476

TERA will be RIFT 2.0.

• Nadya3Nadya3 Member Posts: 348

Originally posted by deziwright

lol +1 nadya!!!! you mean you arent a fanboi (gurl) of gw2! zomg ur not allowed on this website :P (i feel ur pain)

yeah, they've been feeding us that Slogan, in every single Game site. 

according to them, every game that is not GW2 is crap and sucks,  GW2 will be and  is the new Messiah coming,  it really gonna be the best of the best, the most amazing thing ever in the whole wide galaxy.  did i just say in the whole Galaxy?  , that's wrong  in the whole wide universe i meant to say!.

• Deron_BarakDeron_Barak Member Posts: 1,136

Past lvl 22 it gets less linear. you have several places to lvl at all times form that point on. Most never got that far in betas but believe me theres plenty to do later on :) Though still. I will admit. They really didnt even need quests in this game. Should have just kept it as a monster hunter game and got rid of a lot of the rpg questing element. Focus on whats great. :)

I just don't do quests other than the main one hehe.  EME was brilliant in increasing mob xp IMO.  With the combat system the way it is you can just go hunt if you're not high enough to reach the next step in the main story.  I'll probably add guild rep, BAM repeatables and dungeon quests but we'll see.

There is just too much group content to waste xp on boring side quests.  It actually makes 1-20 not seem so linear.

Just not worth my time anymore.

• Ngeldu5tNgeldu5t Member UncommonPosts: 608

Originally posted by Deron_Barak

It really wont be.

Do you have any experience to base this statement off of? The reason I ask is that those that have played the current KTERA version don't all share that sentiment but maybe you have also played all the way through? I won't argue that the early game is a linear themepark and I don't like it.  However I keep being told by those that have played to endgame that it opens up.  Plus there is a lot of group content, both overworld and dungeon based, which has been sorely needed in themepark genre as of late.

There was a time when I thought it could be a sleeper hit but after trying CBT 3 I doubt that.I would say at best it would turn to F2P in a year and a half.Questing is boring as hell and people wont shell $60 to level to max to then enjoy the game.We are in 2012 the animations and combat are what really shines in this game,the political system is just a fantasy right now because no one has experienced it yet besides that everything feels 10 years too late.

In the land of Predators,the lion does not fear the jackals...

• wrightstufwrightstuf Member UncommonPosts: 659

I see alot of ..."It gets better later on"...i've never seen that. if an mmo doesnt capture your attention and start off fun, then thats the way it is. If anything, a developer should try to make it just the opposite to draw more people in, then work more on end game content.

The only thing that gets better later on is licking your way to the center of a tootsie roll pop.

yeah, they've been feeding us that Slogan, in every single Game site. 

according to them, every game that is not GW2 is crap and sucks,  GW2 will be and  is the new Messiah coming,  it really gonna be the best of the best, the most amazing thing ever in the whole wide galaxy.  did i just say in the whole Galaxy?  , that's wrong  in the whole wide universe i meant to say!.

that would b because gw2 is actually trying new things and not just making another WoW clone

with 1 new shiny feature that will get boring after a month of playing

gw2 isnt even the game im waiting for but it will b a good placeholder

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Originally posted by burdock2

With all these other high profile MMOs running ramparnt atm (SWTOR/TSW/GW2) I feel that TERA might just be that sleeper that makes a bigger spalsh than people are predicting. I tried out the CBT but didnt really get into it much as I knew my character was going to be deleted, I didnt want to get too attached. Now that Open Beta is upon us and we actually get to keep the character through to launch (normally unheard of) then I can really sink my teeth in.

This will be what Final Fantasy XIV and AION should have been (for the western audience) and I forsee a smooth laucnh.

Not to mention, it will knock Age of Conan off for being the best looking MMO. I simply have not seen better graphics (better than GW2 too) on PC, EVER!! Thats right, this has to be the most beautiful piece of electronic artwork I have ever seen!

If you have not seen it in action, you are missing it!

TERA for MMO GAME OF THE YEAR!!

I foresee the same route as SWTOR for this game, some people will like it but most will move on. Awesome combat system, great graphics but not much else to differentiate from the rest.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Originally posted by Ngeldu5t

It really wont be.

There was a time when I thought it could be a sleeper hit but after trying CBT 3 I doubt that.I would say at best it would turn to F2P in a year and a half.Questing is boring as hell and people wont shell $60 to level to max to then enjoy the game.We are in 2012 the animations and combat are what really shines in this game,the political system is just a fantasy right now because no one has experienced it yet besides that everything feels 10 years too late.

some people, including myself prefer a game, that captures the old school flavor, with great graphics.  that   don't pretend to be something that isen't, that don't boost your expectations to heavens, and later turn into a huge dissapoinment.

Tera is not a game for everyone.  if you want something new, i really suggest you to try Swtor.  

GW2 does not offer anything new at all. at least not to me.   in fact,  the mega exciting dynamic events, have been done in other MMO before.

i don't want a MMO that can magically teleport me into the year 40000,(well that would be neat!p).  i  want toplay a MMO that provide me with constant entertainment.  that don't force me to buy crappy vanity items every week or so,  that can have a good costumer support.  that has a good and healthy community.  that provides me, with a virtual world i can explore.  that gives me a variety of things to do, once i get to max level.    so only time will tell, wether Tera will manage to deliver that or not.  

the sameway is absurd to  talk about all the wonders of GW2 and every other upcoming MMO that are not even in beta yet.  untill the game don't get released, 1 or 2 month after.   we can only make assumptions, or speculate, mostly based on wishful thinking.

• wrightstufwrightstuf Member UncommonPosts: 659

It really wont be.

some people, including myself prefer a game, that captures the old school flavor, with great graphics.  that   don't pretend to be something that isen't, that don't boost your expectations to heavens, and later turn into a huge dissapoinment.

In other words, a mediocre game

• karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904

It really wont be.

Ive played all EU and US beta's and played around with a friends KTERA account. I'm not saying its a terrible game, its far from bad. But it is the same ol' tired crap + an awesome combat system, nothing more, nothing less. I would put it in leauge with the current state of Age of Conan, which is pretty decent these days PvE wise.

Originally posted by wrightstuf

It really wont be.

In other words, a mediocre game

Mediocre for you.  great for others.

you can't impose your playing style, nor your preferences upon others.   

• CetraCetra Member UncommonPosts: 359

With all these other high profile MMOs running ramparnt atm (SWTOR/TSW/GW2) I feel that TERA might just be that sleeper that makes a bigger spalsh than people are predicting. I tried out the CBT but didnt really get into it much as I knew my character was going to be deleted, I didnt want to get too attached. Now that Open Beta is upon us and we actually get to keep the character through to launch (normally unheard of) then I can really sink my teeth in.

This will be what Final Fantasy XIV and AION should have been (for the western audience) and I forsee a smooth laucnh.

Not to mention, it will knock Age of Conan off for being the best looking MMO. I simply have not seen better graphics (better than GW2 too) on PC, EVER!! Thats right, this has to be the most beautiful piece of electronic artwork I have ever seen!

i seen alot. Sorry Tera will be just another mmo.

Originally posted by Cetra

Tera, GW2, TSW, etc, etc, etc, etc.

we won't see a trully radically different MMO in our lifetime.   even people who keep crying and constantly demanding new things.  get bored 1 or 2 month after.  unfortunately we humans, are creatures of habits.  we normally feel more comfortable with things we are familiar with.   so yes, we all want new things.   Bioware made something totally new, and different.  and still that wasen't enough for alot of people.

• k-damagek-damage Member CommonPosts: 738

Though still. I will admit. They really didnt even need quests in this game. Should have just kept it as a monster hunter game and got rid of a lot of the rpg questing element. Focus on whats great. :)

... But without quests it's not a MMORPG, and they couldn't have charged a sub for that.

***** Before hitting that reply button, please READ the WHOLE thread you're about to post in *****

Originally posted by k-damage

Though still. I will admit. They really didnt even need quests in this game. Should have just kept it as a monster hunter game and got rid of a lot of the rpg questing element. Focus on whats great. :)

... But without quests it's not a MMORPG, and they couldn't have charged a sub for that.

Eq1, Daoc, Ultima online, Asheron 's call, anarchy online, lineage 2.

MMO pre Wow, EQ2.   had 0 quests, or very little questing.   all had month subs.

• Dark_HUmarDark_HUmar Member UncommonPosts: 200

Now that Open Beta is upon us and we actually get to keep the character through to launch (normally unheard of) then I can really sink my teeth in.

• Dark_HUmarDark_HUmar Member UncommonPosts: 200

About keeping your character after open beta is this true ?

Originally posted by Cetra

we won't see a trully radically different MMO in our lifetime.   even people who keep crying and constantly demanding new things.  get bored 1 or 2 month after.  unfortunately we humans, are creatures of habits.  we normally feel more comfortable with things we are familiar with.   so yes, we all want new things.   Bioware made something totally new, and different.  and still that wasen't enough for alot of people.

wait what o.O bioware made a shit WoW clone stuck in light sabers and VO and you call that something totally new and different

last i checked SWTOR is just like WoW in almost every aspect and the only thing they do better is the VO which after the 1st time through you never want to hear again.

bioware has made shit with their last few games to name a few SWTOR, DA2, ME3

the bioware name means nothing now 

• otacuotacu Member UncommonPosts: 547

While it's true that humans are creatures of habit GW2 will be radically different themepark MMO.

Bioware didn't do something totally new and different or maybe you were just sarcastic lol.

Anyway GW2 has lots of innovations and new radically different features but i doubt it will be a success because people still want the "good old WoW/Eq2 formula" (like Rift, Swtor and Tera).

When people say that TERA failed in Korea means that it started with 37 servers and had 3 major mergers. They are down to a dozen now if i remember correctly. Even in Japan started with a lot of servers and now there are only 3 of them.

And for a game from the developers of Lineage 2 that was meant like a Lineage 3 and was hyped as hell at launch yes we can say it failed.

When was first announced the developers promised a lot of sandbox features and now look at the game. Koreans were pissed off. But most of all were furious at the lack of endgame content at launch: 2 5man instances at launch with only silly battlegrounds.

Of course people that tried the game went away in a couple of months. Now the population is more stable but the initial dive was a disaster.

Even the BlueHole developers admitted in public that they failed the launch and apologized for it with a promise to work hard in the future.

The Western TERA launch is a bit smarter: Enmasse upgraded 3 lower level dungeons to the 2 cap level dungeon so we can have at least 5 dungeons hard mode at max level. Sure it's better than what koreans got.

But the lack of battlegrounds is something to be worried about.

I don't think TERA will make big numbers. There is no potential for that and the hype is underwhelming.

But i don't see it fail either. It will be nice niche for the "WoW formula + action combat - raiding" people.

Imo.