Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Greatest MMO fail

Comments

• ArkainArkain Member UncommonPosts: 491

What about APB? does that fit the bill?

I never played it, but no one has said it.

• Demmi77Demmi77 Member UncommonPosts: 229

really, let's be honest here the only game that has released since wow that has not flopped has been wow. I don't play wow anymore but lets look at these games that promised greatness.

warhammer - the game was bad at release, still functional but still, from all the servers they started with to what they have now , i'd say its a failure.

aion - failed at first, but still held strong, i wouldnt consider it a total failure but it lost a huge chunk of players shortly after release.

age of conan, - didn't buy it, lot of hype, failed miserable, still active and improving but we're seeing a trend here.

eq2 - yes back in 2005 i think it was maybe late 2004, the game flopped really hard. its a free to play game with a pretty decent following but , again another crap release.

swtor- oh my last pre-order game, i loved 1-50, after that , i unsubbed, it doesnt bring anything new. it will be just like all the games above.

alot of these games try to mimic something already done. they have their niche and they'll have enough of a following to be profitable , 100k players is pretty susbstantial with subs or item shop. 

none of these come close to what wow has done. I will never touch wow again, but i respect how they are always trying to provide what the community wants.

anyways, the biggest flop of a mmo

even though it wasnt a "mmo"

has got to go APB. really that game shut down.....i mean, that's a flop. 5 years of development and shit closes in less than 4 months. 

secondly, has to be tabula rosa

and third, ff 14. i almost bought it , thank god i was in the beta. I told every friend of mine in our gaming community, do not buy this. out of everyone in my clan about 40% listened to me, the others bought it, they all sent me pm's wishing they'd listened.

games arent evolving, getting your hopes up for something different is like making the same choice and expecting different results. I am choosing to move on to different genres , dungeon defender,s borderlands , co-op games the like.

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

Dark & Light or APB, without a doubt.

• kakasakikakasaki Member UncommonPosts: 1,205

Originally posted by Kabaal

Dark & Light or APB, without a doubt.

At least APB is still hanging on as F2P... DnL closed down and the company got sued (and lost) by the guy that designed the world terrain engine! image

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

DnL or Mortal Online. DF failed on expectations..

• muchavezmuchavez Member UncommonPosts: 199

Just came in to set the record straight

SWTOR, Mortal Online, Darkfall, FFX14, Warhammer, Vanguard.  I have played all of the above at and during release/beta they have had their problems, especially FFX14 but they DONT COME CLOSE

To dark and light.  Greatest fail of all time.

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Most of you probably didn't playthis gem but I would have to say Earthrise.

I have never seena more unfinished, buggy, mismanaged, and just downright terrible game in my life.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• FeydiirFeydiir Member UncommonPosts: 26

Originally posted by DamonVile

The biggest fail mmo of all tiem is dark and light  ( aka Settlers of ganareth ). It's the only one I know of that was actually a scam.

Mourning/Realms of Tourment/2 other names it had scammed people out of money as well, and that never even came close to a release.

• DjildjameshDjildjamesh Member UncommonPosts: 406

Originally posted by Dezyne

Hmm. Fury if you can call it an mmo, and The Chronicles os Spellborn seemed to crash and burn pretty swiftly.

Actually The Chronicles of Spellborn wasn't that bad and it was quiet a decent game :)

Dark and Light is the biggest fail for me

FFXI was my biggest let down ... /sigh

• Sora2810Sora2810 Member Posts: 567

Originally posted by mmoguy43

World of Warcraft because it changed all high budget MMOs into themeparks

So true; the time where MMO innovation died, and imitation began.

Played - M59, EQOA, EQ, EQ2, PS, SWG[Favorite], DAoC, UO, RS, MXO, CoH/CoV, TR, FFXI, FoM, WoW, Eve, Rift, SWTOR, TSW.
    Playing - PS2, AoW, GW2

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

The single worst failure of all time would still have to go to Star Wars Galaxies. This failed so hard after the NGE that people are still hating on it 7 years later. No other game can claim that. Not even close. They took a moderately successful game at the time and changed it right down to it's core mechanics trying to chase after the WoW golden ring and it failed hard. Not only did they alienate a substantially large portion of their existing fan base but they also scared away any potential new subscribers because they had disgruntled gamers on every forum making them out to be the devil right up to this very day. This has to be the biggest failure in MMO history just because they took an established game with a dedicated fan base and through it all down the toilet trying to cash in on the WoW craze.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527

World of Warcraft-The MMO with training wheels or the MMO for droolers, this MMORPG single handely took the MMORPG behind a shed and raped it,once a  genre of virtual worlds and turned them into an instanced lobby games, made accessible (dumbed down-ezmode) and started a neverending nightmare for years till this very day of studios and greedy publishers churning out clone after clone hoping to lure customers into a van and have their way with them to find out that their game is just like WoW , why did we need another training wheels MMO when you have one that's more established? There is only so many gamers out there don't you think its time to start making unique MMOs again?

Seriously I think for all the clones out there including WoW , when are people going to get tired of this same treadmill: Level, Raid, PVP. Don't get started on crafting cause that's a laughable joke now. Thousands of great ideas and lots of great features from older MMOs and all that devs can come up with today in modern MMOs is kill, rinse,repeat?   What happend to the social side of MMOs, the minigames, the communities? The non-combat activites? Non-Combat roles?

Age Of Conan- Hyped to no end, a once mighty hype machine, hyped and brought to you by the same people that hyped, Warhammer, TOR, and now GW2, this crowd follows all the new shinies, but in the end this game failed to live up to expectations and let a lot of people down, but don't forget the good times like the time after launch a GM was caught cybering a player. At least that was worth some chuckles.

Warhammer-From the people that brought you Dark Age of Camelot (an actually good MMO) how could this go so wrong, a pvp centric MMO which once again failed to live up to expectations, which resulted in failure, flash to today certain former Mythic Devs now work on TOR , which once again didn't know how to deliver even a decent PVP experience (thats for the next entry below) this game hangs on life support, but that didn't stop the hype machine before it was released and that same bandwagon of fanbois have faded away and jumped onto the next big game.

Star Wars The Old Republic- Once again history is repeating itself once again just with a different studio (Bioware), but with Lucasarts and EA behind the scenes to ruin another Star Wars experience in the name of chasing WoW numbers.

Once again the hype machine has tempted fate once again with people's minds. Where do you even begin with this train wreck, with the recent pull of ranked warzones a few hours before the 1.2 deployment , the powers that be are desperately trying to save this sinking ship, from a huge budget that went into VO's and cutscenes so players can just wear their spacebar out by skipping that "Fourth Pillar" something that's only good one playthru the rest of the game and MMO part is lacking or just isn't there.

Made for the ultra casual there really not that much there after leveling your first toon to justify paying a monthly sub to this game, also as many are waiting for that next quarltery report on how the 1.7 million players are still playing the game when the complaints on the offical forums are still there about low populations, but that's ok somehow they will manage a way to make it seem that there is a 100% rentention rate when that really isn't the case, hell their even giving away a free 30days game time if that doesn't ring alarms I don't what will.

Bioware really doesn't know how to make a MMO worth playing and I hope its the last time they make one cause in the end their 4th Pillar of Story didn't cut it to a growing number of people out there.

Vanguard:Saga Of Heroes- A good MMO on paper, horribly implmented, rushed to release , left to die like a hooker in a alley, neglected till this day, buggy, the game still has a lot of promise and worth a play , but not worth now inviesting time into when it could be next on SOE's chopping block. I do actually like this game but I think with the right people developing and with some TLC this could of been a real hit with people. Just another case of bad managment and Brad Mcquaid and of the guys at SOE (go figure)

APB- Enough has been said about this game that was shut down in what 2 months? By far the biggest failure in MMO history.

Alagnon- I remember the days of certain posters were trying to push this game on these very forums to other people, pushing how the game was so unique and so different and was for the causal player that didn't like to grind and do things that take time to do , so after was all said and done this became the epitome of what a WoW clone was, and a special guest suprise from the legendary flame war master Derek Smart, his antics for a small bit made me go to the Alagnon forums with popcorn to see if he popped off to anyone just to give me a giggle or 2. Ever since then to this game I havent heard a peep about this game making any kind of ripples, guess people didnt' really want another WoW clone did they?

Earthrise-Was in Beta for this game, another game that had great potential was squandered away, extremely unstable, buggy, devoid of content, and was recently shut down due to lack of interest.

Star Wars Galaxies-By far my favorite MMO of all time, and in opinion makes TOR look like the Special Olympics of MMO's, I have criticisms of my own favortie MMO, ahead of its times, a unique MMO even up till its closure in the sea of mediocrity and trash it is one of the 2 MMO's that held my subscription for years on end/

Highly mismanaged by SOE and its pedophile uncle (Lucasarts) ruined twice by changing the game as everyone knows the story. Launch was a bugged filled mess, connection loss, crashed servers, there was lots to complain about especially in the first 2 yrs it was devoid of content, of course the mystery in the early days of unlocking that force sensitive slot was quite fun, the crafting kept you busy, ruinning a business, and socializing witha great community was what made the game,but it lacked things to do quests, more fun things as some players of that type began to express their concerns people started to trickle out. That content didn't really come till post NGE 2 yrs after the NGE hit the servers, the game became flush with things to do. The game went from a sandbox to a pure hybrid , what a lot of people didnt give SWG a fair shake after the NGE. I was upset as well, making Jedi available to everyone , removing professions pissed me off to no end. 

I stuck it out post-NGE, the game did get better, I think if it wasn't violated by SOE/LA I think the game wouldn't been shut down and still around today with people playing it regularly instead of playing its retarded cousin (TOR)

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

AoC, for failing to be anything close to what it was supposed to be.

FFXIV, because literally everything about this game, other than the graphics, was terrible at the core level.

Darkfall, for not being anything even close to an actual sandbox game.  AV has absolutely no idea how to design sandbox style systems, or how to interconnect them, and it shows.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• ForTheCityForTheCity Member Posts: 307

Originally posted by Brenelael

The single worst failure of all time would still have to go to Star Wars Galaxies. This failed so hard after the NGE that people are still hating on it 7 years later. No other game can claim that. Not even close. They took a moderately successful game at the time and changed it right down to it's core mechanics trying to chase after the WoW golden ring and it failed hard. Not only did they alienate a substantially large portion of their existing fan base but they also scared away any potential new subscribers because they had disgruntled gamers on every forum making them out to be the devil right up to this very day. This has to be the biggest failure in MMO history just because they took an established game with a dedicated fan base and through it all down the toilet trying to cash in on the WoW craze.

Bren

Was it really that bad? I thought people loved it and they didn't want the game to be shut down?

• FluxiiFluxii Member Posts: 184

Originally posted by ForTheCity

Bren

Was it really that bad? I thought people loved it and they didn't want the game to be shut down?

Yea, a game that was finally forced to shut down (because ot TOR) after running for nearly a decade was horible; they must have had to pay people to play...  *boggle*  Poster obviously has a lot of game hate issues, lol.

Most people don't even really know that much about the NGE controversy (there weren't the MLLIONS of people playing back then that there are now), they just jump on the "hated it" and hate SOE bandwagon... sad really.

I want to know based on that guys list what is a success... while I think w0w did dumb EVERYTHING in the MMO industry down, it's far from a failure.  Every MMO in the industry could be listed for a lot of failures.  Lot sof them (warhammer for instance) also has had their mechanics copied in almost every major MMO since (the journal, public quests, achievments, etc.).  Not what people wanted it to be? no... but innovated the market.

To list a few failures... (that AREN'T still up and running):

Auto Assault

AC2

Tabula Rasa

The Matrix

Hellgate

I do agree that FF IV was and still is apprently a flop... to say anything compares to having to give people free time for a year... come on.

• HurvartHurvart Member Posts: 565

AoC was terrible. I dont think anything can ever beat that. But Swtor is bad enough to be number 2. We will have to wait and see if GW2 can give them some competition. But I hope not...

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Originally posted by mmoguy43

World of Warcraft because it changed all high budget MMOs into themeparks

I agree this is one of my top 3 failures.  Now we all know that is'nt technically a failure but still with the release of WoW (which I loved for 6 years) the development and innovation of the MMO genre was stymied and stunted for a very long long time as game company after game company sold out innovation and originality in the hopes of the almighty $$$.

My other top 2 MMO failures are:

Ultima X: Odyssey getting canned so near release

and

Any Free 2 Pay MMO

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

NGE makes all other fails look like victories.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Grotar89Grotar89 Member UncommonPosts: 347

SW TOR

• BlackWatchBlackWatch Member UncommonPosts: 972

Biggest MMO fail?  World of Warcraft: Cataclysm. 

Most people will chalk up WoW's population decline to all of the other games that have released over the last 2 years, but you can't deny that there was seemingly a 'mass' exodus shortly after Cata's launch.

If any other game on the market suffered the kinds of subscription losses that WoW has suffered, they would be out of business.

Looking at WoW's constant population increase from launch, it really was somewhat of a shock to see the game and company take a nice sized shot on the chin. 

If I were going to try to list other games that were 'epic' failures.. sure, Age of Conan, SWG, Matrix Online, RIFT, Warhammer Online, etc.,.. None of these games amounted to the WoW killer's they were hyped up to be.

So, really, Cataclysm was the single most epic failure of any MMO in my opinion.

• LexinLexin Member UncommonPosts: 701

I'm going to go with Auto Assault. 

I played Auto Assault during beta and found it to be fun so bought it but no idea what they did but it was full of bugs upon release and I just stopped playing.

• Originally posted by DamonVile

Originally posted by Suraknar

I would not say Failed, but rather disappointing MMO's, for me and my friends.

EQ - PVE oriented, progression based (Same old same old)

How can the second mmo and the first of it's type be same old same old ? Every fantasy mmo on the market takes whole chapters from EQ's book.... You can't fault the original because later games copied it.

The biggest fail mmo of all tiem is dark and light  ( aka Settlers of ganareth ). It's the only one I know of that was actually a scam.

Vanguard had everything it needed to make a great mmo but it also sadly had Richard who lied his ass off and screwed MS over so much they sold the rights and bailed on the game. The dev team left was faced with a 6month launch window from pretty much scratch. amasing what they did in that time but it was still just a shell of a game because of it.

I think you mean Brad not Richard.

The biggest fail is Dark and Light.

If a game is still operational it is being played by someone and is at least somewhat successful - even if I personally don't like it.  There are actually quite a few games that no longer are operational that I think should come back from the dead under new management  Dark and Light is not one of those.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898

It's hard to categorize small budget MMOs as big failures.  Also, SWTOR has issues but still has tons of subscribers and a strong foundation.

AoC and WAR were major failures

SWG was just never designed to be a popular MMO.  Sandbox, poor definition of Jedis and no space combat on release.

LOTRO - Could of been Massive.  Lack of second faction and thus true PVP was a killer.  They also chose to focus on Angmar rather than go right to Moria, Lothlorien and Isengard.

EQ2 - Didn't offer anything to EQ or WOW players.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

Bren

Agree...no other MMO, or computer game, that I can think of matches the shear level of failure that the NGE wrought on SWG and SOE.   7 years on and SOE is still paying the price for their attitude toward their player base.  They tossed them under the bus and laughed while doing it.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

swg before NGE was in the top five of biggest fails, and it's tiresome to see the same handful of people who enjoyed it keep posting constantly about how great things were, when they were crap.

SWTOR is easily the biggest mmo failure in the history of the genre.