Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mass Effect 3 falsely advertised, says BBB

MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

Can you say ouch ? I know you can!

Article - http://www.gamespot.com/news/mass-effect-3-falsely-advertised-says-bbb-6371157 

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

Comments

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

Its time developers were answerable to their failures and promises, they have had a free lease to do as they please for to long now.  Developers are feeding of the want it now crowds and release games either incomplete, content missing that they promised or stated would be in on release, or just buggy as hell.  

Anet have gone and sold a game before even a release date has even been revealed, yes I'm guilty for buying it with many others, but at the end of the day is it really an acceptable practice?  I could disect many other games and so could many of you guys for their failure to deliver what they advertised, or games that havnt been polished enough to be of a qaulity product to warrant the money we have paid out for them.

Who is to blame? the consumer? the developer? make your own conclusions, but the developers and publishers have to be answerable for putting products out as any other product that doesnt live up to the quality as we would expect.

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802

Originally posted by biggarfoot

Its time developers were answerable to their failures and promises, they have had a free lease to do as they please for to long now.  Developers are feeding of the want it now crowds and release games either incomplete, content missing that they promised or stated would be in on release, or just buggy as hell.  

Anet have gone and sold a game before even a release date has even been revealed, yes I'm guilty for buying it with many others, but at the end of the day is it really an acceptable practice?  I could disect many other games and so could many of you guys for their failure to deliver what they advertised, or games that havnt been polished enough to be of a qaulity product to warrant the money we have paid out for them.

Who is to blame? the consumer? the developer? make your own conclusions, but the developers and publishers have to be answerable for putting products out as any other product that doesnt live up to the quality as we would expect.

>.< what on earth is wrong with a prepurchase option before a release date? Minecraft and many many other games have done this.. why does it only matter now? You aren't guilty because you did nothing wrong, you bought a game you would have because you had the option to do it before the release date was certain. What on earth does this have to do with Bioware/ME3 being complete douchbags by putting DLC content on the release disc and cutting corners within the story. They SHOULD be held accountable and I agree with your first sentence but this has absolutely nothing to so with Anet and GW2. This might be compared to TSW with its lifetime sub sales while still under heavy NDA and little press info. Can't really say for sure until it releases and those that got burnt complain.

• Wow.  I really didn't expect something like the BBB to get involved in games.  Not that that is bad.   I just figured they would stay out of entertainment.  Not that i think they are wrong.

• You know what gets me about the comments there.  Is people are trying to claim this infringes on artistic freedom.

The BBB said it was FALSE ADVERTISING. 

The lesson is don't misrepresent what you wrote.  Not we sue you if what you wrote sucked.

• LivettLivett Member Posts: 126

Anet have gone and sold a game before even a release date has even been revealed, yes I'm guilty for buying it with many others, but at the end of the day is it really an acceptable practice?

How is pre-purchasing a game bad practice? I'm itching to think you actually mean something else.

Also, you had an option to buy it or not, KNOWING there's no release date.

You're first paragraph is spot on though.

• 0over00over0 Member UncommonPosts: 488

The BBB is just a business group, it has no governing legal status and is not a government entity. Basically, it's someone's opinion. OPEC could've issued an opinion, too--so what?

Apply lemon juice and candle flame here to reveal secret message.

• MMOarQQMMOarQQ Member Posts: 636

I'm all for making gaming companies accountable, just like all other businesses.

• QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432

What a complete load of crap.

I don't believe, in the slightest, that the BBB actually investigated this outside of just getting and regurgitating complaints.  Gamers using this as PROOF OF THE EVIL WHITE DEVIL need to ... well nevermind, it's not worth it.

Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4
  • KakkzookaKakkzooka Member Posts: 591

Want to bet which game is sighted next for misrepresentation? And that will make two strikes against BioWare.

As the consumer industry watchgroups note that videogames are the largest profiting field within the entertainment industry, they will have to act more seriously about consumer complaints, despite the maligned image of videogames as a "juvenile" hobby.

I, for one, salute their findings. This is a boon for us as consumers.

Re: SWTOR

"Remember, remember - Kakk says 'December.'"

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

"Way to go crybabies. You've just helped move gaming from an art form into the corporate world of design by lawyers and marketers more than any other act in the history of the hobby"

The above is my favorite comment from that whole thing. Many defending these companies have just started gaming, thus we see comments like the above. EA's made a ton of bad moves lately, we need one to bite them on the arse at this point or they are just going to get worse.

• KakkzookaKakkzooka Member Posts: 591

Originally posted by GrayGhost79

"Way to go crybabies. You've just helped move gaming from an art form into the corporate world of design by lawyers and marketers more than any other act in the history of the hobby"

The above is my favorite comment from that whole thing. Many defending these companies have just started gaming, thus we see comments like the above. EA's made a ton of bad moves lately, we need one to bite them on the arse at this point or they are just going to get worse.

Hear, hear!

Re: SWTOR

"Remember, remember - Kakk says 'December.'"

• SorrowSorrow Member Posts: 1,195

Interesting actually opens Bioware and EA up to a class action lawsuit.

Gonna have to keep an eye on this one as if someone decides to run with this and go after them for false advertising it opens up the possiblity of going after every game developer out there.

I've said for years the industry needs some regulation and guidelines and this may be the opening salvo.

• Originally posted by Livett

Anet have gone and sold a game before even a release date has even been revealed, yes I'm guilty for buying it with many others, but at the end of the day is it really an acceptable practice?

How is pre-purchasing a game bad practice? I'm itching to think you actually mean something else.

Also, you had an option to buy it or not, KNOWING there's no release date.

You're first paragraph is spot on though.

People can pay for all sorts of dumb crap.  Pet rocks were just rocks. 

But if they call them pet chihuahuas and its just a rock that is pretty much fraud.  But if it really is a rock and you are stupid enough to think its your pet or just caught up in a tongue and cheek fad that really wasn't taht funny to begin with well; you are entitled to waste your money.

Anet's pre-purchase or a kickstarter backer is fine.  You can make a purchase based on a promise of delivery.  It happens all the time.  Alot of software is contracted out this way.

But if you have a contract the fail to deliver the functionality you promised you are in serious trouble. 

If you advertise something and deliver something else its not quite as clear but its not good.

Anet's pre purchase is only a problem if they give you SWOTOR instead of what they have shown.  They never promised the game won't have bugs to such an extent you find it unplayable that is the risk you took when you pre purchased.

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Lol the BBB is a joke. You guys act like it's the freaking Supreme Court.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Also, is it false advertising when you see a movie but didnt like the ending? Hell no.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• MehveMehve Member Posts: 487

Sigh. Gaming over there a LOOONG time ago. This incident is stupid, but god knows no one else, save random, anonymous internet posters will hold companies accountable for their marketing BS. And it's not like we'd trust gaming websites to have the cojones to do it, right?

A Modest Proposal for MMORPGs:
    That the means of progression would not be mutually exclusive from the means of enjoyment.

• ForTheCityForTheCity Member Posts: 307

Not surprised. This could be any other company. 

• FrostWyrmFrostWyrm Member Posts: 1,036

Originally posted by Mehve

Sigh. Gaming over there a LOOONG time ago. This incident is stupid, but god knows no one else, save random, anonymous internet posters will hold companies accountable for their marketing BS. And it's not like we'd trust gaming websites to have the cojones to do it, right?

The Better Business Buraur is a century old, and people have been using it's services all the while.

This is not something new, and its the exact reason the BBB exists.

• Originally posted by dubyahite

Also, is it false advertising when you see a movie but didnt like the ending? Hell no.

Like has nothing to do with the accusation.  They specifically reference advertising about choice and consequences etc. and then say these were obviously not delivered on.

The analogy would be advertising your movie is about care bears and then betting a bunch of pokemon.

Said pokemon movie could be great with a hilarously funny ending where team rockets blasts off into space.  But it would still piss people off.  Because people get angry when you say one thing and then do another. 

Even if the ending has been well written instead of the poorly written trash it is, people would still be upset.  And rightfully so.

• Originally posted by FrostWyrm

Originally posted by Mehve

The Better Business Buraur is a century old, and people have been using it's services all the while.

This is not something new, and its the exact reason the BBB exists.

The BBB has not power.  That does not mean it has no influence.  People saying they are a joke are wrong.  They are not the SEC (who kind of are a joke even though they can arrest people) and certainly not the FBI.

They don't sue, they are a way for people to find out whether a business is reputable.

This is basically a fairly well regarded main stream institution saying EA is disreputable.  Something most gamers have known for 10 years or more.  This is actually their job and basically all they do.  Yeah its taken a while for the main stream to catch on even though they spend millions and millions of dollars on this stuff for their kids.

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

Accountablitly. it is something that is seriously lacking in the mmo business.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• cutthecrapcutthecrap Member Posts: 600

Aaw man, I could think of 100+ causes that the Bureau of Better Business in these times where business are able to run rampant and bring whole economies globally to the brink of the abyss, and this is what they're devoting their attention to?!?

Society is seriously getting fucked up in its priorities and starting to feel more and more like being in Alice's Wonderland, Mad Hatter-mentality is rising. Maybe planet earth really could use a good scrubbing and humanity going extinct, with the extreme tunnelvision that is shown more and more image

• Originally posted by cutthecrap

Aaw man, I could think of 100+ causes that the Bureau of Better Business in these times where business are able to run rampant and bring whole economies globally to the brink of the abyss, and this is what they're devoting their attention to?!?

Society is seriously getting fucked up in its priorities and starting to feel more and more like being in Alice's Wonderland, Mad Hatter-mentality is rising. Maybe planet earth really could use a good scrubbing and humanity going extinct, with the extreme tunnelvision that is shown more and more image

I think you are looking for the SEC not the BBB.  The BBB has no ability to do anything or know anything about how Goldman Sachs manages their investments.

Its like saying I can't believe the nieghborhood watch didn't stop Hitler.