Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you enjoy cities in SWG?

ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261

They were one of the (many) things that made SWG stand out from the other MMO's available, however it looks like The Repopulation has taken the concept and is adding all the stuff we wanted to see happen with cities in SWG.  Their video demo of it kind of shows it off pretty well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRfQvwAuesQ

Comments

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    I am looking forward to it.
  • WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

I like what I saw in the video.  Alot of power to the players.  Player cities and layout?  Interested to see more.

As far as SWG, I did enjoy the look and layout of the cities, both large and small.  IMO, I wish players were allowed to rent housing in the magnificently done cities SWG had.  As it stood in the game, they were only allowed to purchase and lay down housing outside the cities, and a bit of distance too, that ensured they looked seperate from a premade city.  I would've killed to rent a spot in Coronet, Mos Eisley, or Bestine.  Maybe some of the other lesser travelled but great looking towns.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• UOvetUOvet Member Posts: 514

Keep my eye on this. The game has to be more than just building and placing turrets though. Seems games like these don't usually take off. Someone wealthy needs to come along and fund it to come close to it's potential I think.

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261

Originally posted by Warmaker

I like what I saw in the video.  Alot of power to the players.  Player cities and layout?  Interested to see more.

As far as SWG, I did enjoy the look and layout of the cities, both large and small.  IMO, I wish players were allowed to rent housing in the magnificently done cities SWG had.  As it stood in the game, they were only allowed to purchase and lay down housing outside the cities, and a bit of distance too, that ensured they looked seperate from a premade city.  I would've killed to rent a spot in Coronet, Mos Eisley, or Bestine.  Maybe some of the other lesser travelled but great looking towns.

Did you get to try out Player Cities in SWG?  There were a number of mayors that did a very good job at laying out and building their cities

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Yes did greatly enjoy SWG city's, the most at pre-cu, overall SWG's experiance has never been match by any other MMO.

Still looking for a MMORPG that offered what SWG offered as today's MMORPG are far to limited for my taste and don't even come close to what SWG offered.

But thanks for bringin Repopulation to my attention, gonna keep a eye out for it.

Originally posted by UOvet

Keep my eye on this. The game has to be more than just building and placing turrets though. Seems games like these don't usually take off. Someone wealthy needs to come along and fund it to come close to it's potential I think.

Yeah, they have other videos showing that stuff off (although not as indepth as this building one), this vid was just dedicated to showing off the city aspect of the game.  Keep in mind that it's still pre-alpha, too.

As for being small, yeah they are, but tbh, everyone has to start off small.  Who knows though, by being a western studio bringing something new back into the MMO market rather than being the usual themepark WoW crap we keep seeing they might hit it off all on their own :)

• CuathonCuathon Member Posts: 2,211

Originally posted by Obraik

Originally posted by UOvet

Yeah, they have other videos showing that stuff off (although not as indepth as this building one), this vid was just dedicated to showing off the city aspect of the game.  Keep in mind that it's still pre-alpha, too.

As for being small, yeah they are, but tbh, everyone has to start off small.  Who knows though, by being a western studio bringing something new back into the MMO market rather than being the usual themepark WoW crap we keep seeing they might hit it off all on their own :)

I want my repop so bad!

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

I need a combination of things:

#1. Player Cities

#2. Deep Crafting

#3. Fast and Interactive Combat

#4. Gigantic Worlds

#5. World PvP - No Battlegrounds at all.

#6. Good Character Animations

#7. Endless amounts of clothing, weapons, and armor.

#8. Loads of Social Tools and incentive to use them.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

That engine and UI looks so identical to original SWG's UI and graphics, is it using the same engine? Before player housing (Dec 2003?) cantinas in major cities were crammed and always had things happening and was easy to find people to group up with to go kill a vesp mound or a kaadu nest, my first character was born on Narmal of Talus and almost never left that city because there were lots of people there.

I agree with the above, they should've added player housing/rentals as part of existing cities rather than creating their own cities, it killed the social aspect of the game when they added player housing and cities but luckily doctor and entertainer buff/heals brought most of it back.

Originally posted by sookster54

That engine and UI looks so identical to original SWG's UI and graphics, is it using the same engine? Before player housing (Dec 2003?) cantinas in major cities were crammed and always had things happening and was easy to find people to group up with to go kill a vesp mound or a kaadu nest, my first character was born on Narmal of Talus and almost never left that city because there were lots of people there.

I agree with the above, they should've added player housing/rentals as part of existing cities rather than creating their own cities, it killed the social aspect of the game when they added player housing and cities but luckily doctor and entertainer buff/heals brought most of it back.

Nah, it actually uses the same engine as TOR.

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Originally posted by mmoDAD

I need a combination of things:

#1. Player Cities

#2. Deep Crafting

#3. Fast and Interactive Combat

#4. Gigantic Worlds

#5. World PvP - No Battlegrounds at all.

#6. Good Character Animations

#7. Endless amounts of clothing, weapons, and armor.

#8. Loads of Social Tools and incentive to use them.

The Repopulation looks like it's going to have those although the devs mentioned not having a huge budget or a large design team of artists so #7 will take time. Not sure about #8.

The animations I've seen are awesome, very fluid. The question is obviously, how will it all come together and it looks good so far.

As far as SWG goes, who didn't like rollin' up into Mos? Good times.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452

Originally posted by sookster54

Nah, it actually uses the same engine as TOR.

What, a broken alpha version of the hero engine with no support from the manufacturer.
  • nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

All of the Ewoks died. I'm over it now.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

was kind of interesting to watch the video, it looks intriguing but.. hero engine, with all the faults in SW;TOR, is the hero engine really up to it? or are we going to see massive amounts of instancing image

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

This is the first time I've heard of this Repopulation game!  Thanks for sharing the link :)

Cities and player housing were some of the things that made SWG so great for me.  I loved the ability to decorate houses and set them down in the world and not some instanced zone.  So far SWG has the best housing for an mmo that I have played, but this Repopulation game looks like it could be pretty good.  I can't wait to hear more about it.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

Originally posted by Phry

was kind of interesting to watch the video, it looks intriguing but.. hero engine, with all the faults in SW;TOR, is the hero engine really up to it? or are we going to see massive amounts of instancing image

Good question about the instancing.  I would also be very curious about this.  I like open world games.

Originally posted by Phry

Are we sure SWTOR's issues aren't EA/Bioware specific? ;)

• Bob_BlawblawBob_Blawblaw Member Posts: 1,278

To answer the question that is the title of this thread, HELL YEAH I enjoyed cities in SWG.

Player cities were one of the biggest factors in SWG having an insanely tight community.

As for "The Repopulation"... good luck with that. Looks like a neat tech demo, a bit ambitious for a small group of volunteers. Would I play it if it was a fully funded and fully realized product? HELL YEAH... but I'm not holding my breath.

Originally posted by Bob_Blawblaw

To answer the question that is the title of this thread, HELL YEAH I enjoyed cities in SWG.

Player cities were one of the biggest factors in SWG having an insanely tight community.

As for "The Repopulation"... good luck with that. Looks like a neat tech demo, a bit ambitious for a small group of volunteers. Would I play it if it was a fully funded and fully realized product? HELL YEAH... but I'm not holding my breath.

It is ambitious, however I do hold hope that this will eventuate.  The state of MMO's at the moment is quite sad at the moment in terms of diversity - the market really needs something like the Repopulation to give something to those of us that are looking for more than a WoW cookiee cutter.

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793

I wish the Repopulation team luck. In all honesty, I believe a small talented group with passion, teamwork and focused ambition can be far more effective than large dysfunctional teams.

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

• Bob_BlawblawBob_Blawblaw Member Posts: 1,278

It is ambitious, however I do hold hope that this will eventuate.  The state of MMO's at the moment is quite sad at the moment in terms of diversity - the market really needs something like the Repopulation to give something to those of us that are looking for more than a WoW cookiee cutter.

The issue is that The Repop is ambitious in the wrong way. They're trying to out-tech the guys with the multi-million dollar R&D departments. High tech costs money. LOTS of money. Staggering amounts of money. Sadly, the people who control the staggering amounts of money typically want to fund the WoW cookiecutters (oh hai SWTOR!) for a quick return. 

Sadly, typically, even if a publisher found The Repop an interesting idea, there's no way they would fund a project that big led by a team so wet behind the ears.

The Repop team should have done 1 of two things:

1) Find Howard Hughs heir, convince said heir to fund them. (or this guy)

2) Make a game more akin to Minecraft (ie: cut corners while not sacrificing inginuity and gameplay), to prove themselves to a publisher before making the pitch for The Repop.

The issue is that The Repop is ambitious in the wrong way. They're trying to out-tech the guys with the multi-million dollar R&D departments. High tech costs money. LOTS of money. Staggering amounts of money. Sadly, the people who control the staggering amounts of money typically want to fund the WoW cookiecutters (oh hai SWTOR!) for a quick return. 

Sadly, typically, even if a publisher found The Repop an interesting idea, there's no way they would fund a project that big led by a team so wet behind the ears.

The Repop team should have done 1 of two things:

1) Find Howard Hughs heir, convince said heir to fund them. (or this guy)

2) Make a game more akin to Minecraft (ie: cut corners while not sacrificing inginuity and gameplay), to prove themselves to a publisher before making the pitch for The Repop.

I'm an optimisitc person, so combine that with wishful thinking and I'd like to believe that they could pull it off :)  Everything big starts off with something small - when MMO's were a new concept their founding studios couldn't have been much bigger and now some of those companies are massive companies. 

Most investors out there are going with the WoW cookiee cutters, but there's got to be some that actually do have some intelligence and want a game that can go along with that, right?  

I know people will boo and hiss, but SOE has said they'd like to revist the sandbox genre now that they've lost SWG.  SOE of all the MMO companies do have a more varried variety of MMO's compared to most.  They have their WoW cookiee cutters (EQ/EQ2) but then they have some that are quite different, like Planetside. 

• TheodwulfTheodwulf Member UncommonPosts: 311

Not realy...great concept but it made the worlds feel smaller...and the player cities never looked as good as the NPC cities.....it just seemed most players wanted more space to store things they were hoarding , which had the effect of cluttering up and lagging out large swaths of gameplay area...Once agian great concept ...poor execution

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

Actually I hated the cities in SWG. As a poster here already said, they were just places to store your junk. I can see why crafters liked it, but for a non crafter such as me they were wastes of space. I did like the mayoral system and I enjoyed doing things with our guild in the city, but I just think it was poorly implemented.

Having said that, I will be keeping an eye on the Re-population. It's very early, but it looks intriguing. THAT is how a real city should be built in a game. I hope they keep it all confined to certain areas and don't make the mistake SWG did of allowing sprawl.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

They were creepy ghost towns.