Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Greatest MMO fail

Comments

• CorthalaCorthala Member UncommonPosts: 283

FF14 and Tabula Rasa

TR concept was great but the dev failed big...End game what's that??? When the game was ready to release they pulled the plug.

"you are like the world revenge on sarcasm, you know that?"

One of those great lines from The Secret World

• AilingforaleAilingforale Member Posts: 87

"Biggest fail is tied at UO2 and UXO, both got cancelled by EA because EA is retarded."

^^This... you just had to bring up an old wound didn't you?

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Originally posted by ulthar50

Just curious as to the collective wisdom of the interwebs.

Hellgate: London. Man, that thin had basically no redeeming features, or hope of getting them.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• NeoyoshiNeoyoshi Member RarePosts: 1,128

Final Fantasy XIV rightly deserves the crowning achievement in most disappointing, most polarizing, most .....obnoxious experiences a MMORPG could possibly offer.

Not to mention how bad the communication was between the Community and the Staff, plus how they handled and responded to certain situations showed that they had grown egotistical, uncaring of outside opinions or suggestions, etc., and i think for something that had so much potential to become great, but was instead disgustingly frustrating and unenjoyable, is what really puts FFXIV waaaaay above anything else that has ever failed in comparison.

This is Final Fantasy we are talking about, there was a time when there was no such thing as a bad Final Fantasy, ....there was a time.

Fishing on Gilgamesh since 2013
  • KakkzookaKakkzooka Member Posts: 591

1.) Warhammer Online

2.) Tabula Rasa

3.) FF XIV

4.) Vanguard

If SWTOR was an MMORPG it would be in my number 2 slot.

Re: SWTOR

"Remember, remember - Kakk says 'December.'"

• MavacarMavacar Member Posts: 328

Originally posted by Jakard

Nothing comes close to Final Fantasy XIV

Hands down (Producer explains that jumping doesn't do anything thats why it isn't added)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Fpxo1WFaYnE#t=160s

Oh I almost forgot this one (Graphic copy paste)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=La9nLBfH44c

• AilingforaleAilingforale Member Posts: 87

Originally posted by Neoyoshi

This is Final Fantasy we are talking about, there was a time when there was no such thing as a bad Final Fantasy, ....there was a time.

I was just saying that the other day to a friend lol.  ... That's sad really when you think about it...

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

Originally posted by Icewhite

Originally posted by ulthar50

Just curious as to the collective wisdom of the interwebs.

Hellgate: London. Man, that thin had basically no redeeming features, or hope of getting them.

Yes it did! The D2 loot system + mods!! Ok, there really was nothing about it that made it a good MMO. It was the most Singleplayer MMO in existance. SWTOR really has nothing on it if there was a Most SP MMO award.

• obiiobii Member UncommonPosts: 804

Sims online?

They expected 500.000 players then 200.000 and ended up closing down.

Tabula rasa maybe too, as people trusted Garriot :P

• ulthar50ulthar50 Member Posts: 47

Originally posted by L0C0Man

Out of curiosity.. what's HGL?

Hell Gate London, if any of y'all remember that one.

• Ethan623Ethan623 Member Posts: 53

Originally posted by Mavacar

Originally posted by Jakard

Nothing comes close to Final Fantasy XIV

Hands down (Producer explains that jumping doesn't do anything thats why it isn't added)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Fpxo1WFaYnE#t=160s

Oh I almost forgot this one (Graphic copy paste)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=La9nLBfH44c

You got me to login to post this. Impressive.

I didn't bother watching the jumping one, but my god the copy and paste that is just lazy. Fair enough if you did it with some moutains in different areas/zones but right next to each other.

my personal list for personal reasons. Yer my list is different to most except no 1

No 1:Tebula rasa (as everyone has already stated)

No2: Rift (Was looking forward to this but it just felt sooooo boring doing anything)

no3: lotro (Love the books/films but the game is just bad same as no2 i can't justify playing a game due to the lore alone)

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

Dark & Light

Look it up :D

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • DecoyTrooperDecoyTrooper Member Posts: 239

Stargate Worlds..vaporware

• FeydiirFeydiir Member UncommonPosts: 26

Originally posted by stragen001

I cant for the life of me remember the name of it, but there was an MMO which was in the works and took plenty of preorders, and then the devs did a runner with the cash. It was pure vapor/scamware.... now THAT is a fail.

If anyone remembers the name enlighten me cos its bugging the hell out of me

LOL... I completely forgot about that game.  It sounded interesting, then they had something like 3 name changes.  I believe at one point it was called Realms of Torment and at another points it was called Mourning or Realms of Mourning, and I know there was at least one other name.  I lost interest after  while, then I found out about the second name change as well as a paid beta.

• ButregenyoButregenyo Member UncommonPosts: 483

my list:

1-  Final Fantasy 14 (this is even funny that they had to stop taking sub form people because the game was basicly unplayable, i still cannot believe how they destroyed the legendary series)

2- Swtor (star wars and MMO words when combined always have built an image of colossal places, unlimited freedom, player driven universe, the ultimate sandbox in my mind. themepark model is not suitable for star wars in my opinion. i might like it as it is but they made the game so boring that han solo dance game looks more fun)

3- Warhammer Online. self explanatory

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

I don't want anyone to take this personally because this is more of an overall impression, but I think the biggest MMO fail (and other genres as well) are game forums.
    I would put that at the top of a top 3 list:

1.Forums
    2.Cash shops
    3.Esport

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• RuandelRuandel Member UncommonPosts: 15

Hands down. Final Fantasy XIV.

• SuraknarSuraknar Member UncommonPosts: 852

I would not say Failed, but rather disappointing MMO's, for me and my friends.

EQ - PVE oriented, progression based (Same old same old)

Lineage II (Pre GoD) - Korean Grind, RMT

SWG with NGE - Great game before it got beheaded ...

WoW - Progression focussed, repetitious gameplay (Same old same old).

Vanguard (Launch) - Underdevelloped, same old same old

EVE - Time based Skills, no Tactics in Combat, it is all strategy focussed, boring.

Darkfall - Just a huge mess

WAR - Ill thought out RvR, Poor PvP mechanics at upper levels, same old same old.

POTBS - How can you make a sailing Game without Trade? Same old same old.

TABULA RASA - Unfinished, rushed.

Runes of Magic - P2W, Cash Shop oriented

RIFT - Same old same old, poor PvP

Dark & Light - Empty and Barren

World War II Online - Under funded.

Dawntide - under-develloped

AoC - Same old same old

STO - Orcs and Gnomes dressed as Ships

SW:TOR - Same old same old

D&D onine - not an MMO

LOTRO - Same old same old

Allods - Same old same old, cash shop, P2W.

Black Prophesy - Unfun, unnexciting

Really makes one Jaded...

- Duke Suraknar -
    Order of the Silver Star, OSS

ESKA, Playing MMORPG's since Ultima Online 1997 - Order of the Silver Serpent, Atlantic Shard
  • gordiflugordiflu Member UncommonPosts: 757

Despite how much I loved the game, VG was quite a massive fail.

Or at least it was quite an horrendous fail launch ridden with performance problems, constant crashes, bugs and whatnot.

Awesome concept, amazing ideas, horrible execution. The game works so much better now, but unfortunately it's way too late.

And I don't think the F2P change is going to fix that much. I can already see the average F2P player getting frustrated by a game that is not solo friendly (it is soloable to cap, but no way solo friendly) with complex crafting that requires tons of hours of work (and I know it has been toned down, but still), with death penalties and old school graphics.

• DecadentiaDecadentia Member Posts: 464

Originally posted by channel84

Dark and Light...nuff said

The hype and the scale of the failure is as they say in WoW.....Epic

For anyone who was around during that time...yes, easily the biggest MMO failure.

• kakasakikakasaki Member UncommonPosts: 1,205

Originally posted by channel84

Dark and Light...nuff said

The hype and the scale of the failure is as they say in WoW.....Epic

^^This. No other game; not TOR, WAR, AoC...        not ANY of them compare to the fiasco/scam/disaster that was DnL.  

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...

• HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997

imo people posting games that is still up and running as "the greatest MMO fail", just doesnt know what they answered to, the greatest failure ever is not a game with even 1 player in it....plenty of MMOs already had to close down, even before the first year had passed.

• DezyneDezyne Member Posts: 9
    Hmm. Fury if you can call it an mmo, and The Chronicles os Spellborn seemed to crash and burn pretty swiftly.
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

Originally posted by Suraknar

I would not say Failed, but rather disappointing MMO's, for me and my friends.

EQ - PVE oriented, progression based (Same old same old)

How can the second mmo and the first of it's type be same old same old ? Every fantasy mmo on the market takes whole chapters from EQ's book.... You can't fault the original because later games copied it.

The biggest fail mmo of all tiem is dark and light  ( aka Settlers of ganareth ). It's the only one I know of that was actually a scam.

Vanguard had everything it needed to make a great mmo but it also sadly had Richard who lied his ass off and screwed MS over so much they sold the rights and bailed on the game. The dev team left was faced with a 6month launch window from pretty much scratch. amasing what they did in that time but it was still just a shell of a game because of it.

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

Would depend upon your definition of failure.

If it's money spent against money returned then i'd guess at tor as most likely biggest failure.

If it's a numbers thing(real numbers and not fanboy numbers) and how fast they dropped maybe swg(nge)

If it's numbers than have against numbers they should have if they hadn't made a half arsed wow clone then take your pick.