Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bioware gives away 30 day free sub

Comments

• jacklojacklo Member Posts: 570

Originally posted by Kabaal

A lot of you are saying it's desperation but that is a LOT of money to forgoe on their part. Even if they've lost half their subscribers, just saying half to exagerrate, then that's still $10million+. I'm by no means a fanboy, my sub was cancelled last week and had fully intended to uninstall if 1.2 didn't live up to expectations which it didn't. With 30 days free i'll give them the benefit of the doubt and leave it on my hard drive to see what happens.

Are there really that many level 50's still playing the game? :)

• BunksBunks Member Posts: 960

So was this what Ritticello had in mind with his 2 million players at the end of June? Freemium

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085

Originally posted by Dahkot72

Sooooo, that quarterly report upcoming where they report active subscriptions. Everyone with a 50 just padded that number well for EA.

Wow, that didn't even cross my mind. I wanna put a pin in this and come back to it after details of the report is released.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• kileakkileak Member Posts: 31

Originally posted by RefMinor

Why they don't do the sensible option and do a $10 download with no free month, that might actually get new folks in rather than just lose a months revenue.

think they got a 1 week free trial out already....

• KakkzookaKakkzooka Member Posts: 591

Originally posted by Kabaal

Edit - oh and a free tauntaun pet for those who like that kinda thing.

I bet you can't cut open the tauntaun and shelter inside if you come off the rails by a couple of yards and hit an exhaustion zone.

Coffee. It's on my screen. Where do I send the bill?

Re: SWTOR

"Remember, remember - Kakk says 'December.'"

• garretthgarretth Member UncommonPosts: 343

Give me a free pet every month...something I can collect and that makes me interested.  :)

I love pets.

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

Originally posted by Ronn

And TERA bro , don't forget TERA ! :D

He didn't forget Tera.. he was talking about legitimate threats.. not Korean MMO's that have nothing more than perhaps a niche toe-hold on the market.

• Jason2444Jason2444 Member Posts: 372

"In celebration of patch 1.2"

This pisses me off more than anything.

Not "As an apology for bait and switching people into resubbing by telling them ranked WZs won't be in 1.2"

Not "For beta testing our game for 4 months"

No, it's in "celebration"

MMOs played: WoW, Star Wars Galaxies, Star Wars: The Old Republic, Guild Wars, Planetside, Global Agenda, Star Trek Online, RIFT, Everquest 2, Age of Conan, Warhammer Online, EvE online, APB
    Best MMO Companies: Trion Worlds, ArenaNet, CCP
    Worst MMO Companies: Electronic Arts

• PigozzPigozz Member UncommonPosts: 886

Oh boy

And it took 'em only 5 months to beg people to play it some more!

Wow, even I wasn't that sceptical!...

But Im glad

Company that lies to fans and is this much arrogant deserve nothing less than a harsh lesson

I think I actually spent way more time reading and theorycrafting about MMOs than playing them

• fundayzfundayz Member Posts: 463

Originally posted by DecoyTrooper

Originally posted by drumchannell

"As a thanks for being one of our most valued players."

Apparently, players with a level 50 character are more valuable than players that do not have a level 50 character.

I guess they figured that those that reached level 50 really liked the game in some way and there is a high chance these peeps would hand some cash. But, those like me that didn't make it past 25 probably won't be interested in playing the game again.

What about those that leveled multiple character at a time instead of just focusing on one? Does that make them second class customers?

Let's get serious, giving max level players a free month has nothing to do with appreciating their customers. The real reason they are giving players max level players a free month is because people are leaving in droves once they hit max level and realize the game is nothing but a subpar WoW clone with voiceovers.

• QuenchsterQuenchster Member Posts: 450

I think this is nice to keep the people who are interested in PvP, even though they didn't get their rated warzones.

• EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735

You know what surprises me the most? The fact that 1.2 only just now hit the servers ... I Thought it's on for at least a month now considering how much noise They made about it. Can't keep subs going if the content takes so long to get out in a game that's based purely on end-game content and alt-replayability (Legacy)

• Dahkot72Dahkot72 Member Posts: 261

Originally posted by Quenchster

I think this is nice to keep the people who PvP interested, even though they didn't get their rated warzones.

This fixes Illum ? Suddently has 100 vs 100 pvp battles ? World PVP objectives ? Rated WZ's will be in at the end of these 30 days ?

Anyone who prefers or likes PVP much has realized SWTOR is not the game for them ,  there's no way to avoid the fact that SWTOR may have done some things right , for those enjoying the storying telling , maybe the RP in the IP etc , but PVP is where Bioware is completely clueless on and truly failed at.

• DecoyTrooperDecoyTrooper Member Posts: 239

Originally posted by fundayz

Originally posted by DecoyTrooper

Originally posted by drumchannell

"As a thanks for being one of our most valued players."

Apparently, players with a level 50 character are more valuable than players that do not have a level 50 character.

I guess they figured that those that reached level 50 really liked the game in some way and there is a high chance these peeps would hand some cash. But, those like me that didn't make it past 25 probably won't be interested in playing the game again.

What about those that leveled multiple character at a time instead of just focusing on one? Does that make them second class customers?

Let's get serious, giving max level players a free month has nothing to do with appreciating their customers. The real reason they are giving players max level players a free month is because people are leaving in droves once they hit max level and realize the game is nothing but a subpar WoW clone with voiceovers.

Well, in my case I didn't like all the classes, and I always like to play the main story/quest with my main toon and reach cap. I wasn't going to start all over again with another toon. But of course, it's obvious that a lot of players that maxed their toons cancelled their sub and Bioware would like to bring them back. After reaching level 50, I don't see a reason why a player would stay in this game, unless there is a major update to the game. Maybe in 6 months, but who knows if by then the game is already F2P.

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

Im guessing MMORPG.com will put a positive spin on this in comlete opposition to what everyone is thinking....

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• hh33hh33 Member Posts: 55

Now just sit back and wait for the other shoe to drop. I stated yesterday that EA/Bioware was not going to have any other choice but to refund money spent by people who resubbed or stuck around due to a certain feature they openly advertised was going to be contained in this patch.

Now that EA/Bioware has decided to take what I deem as the sleaze option, the market (players) are going to tear them apart. Rule #1 in any business is you do not lie to or attempt to deceive your customers.

The free playing time offer is not going to cut it and as others have said it is a major sign of desperation on EA/Bioware's part.

As far as the free playing time goes, I uninstalled SWTOR for a reason and see no need to punish my PC further.

• OtashiOtashi Member UncommonPosts: 78

Originally posted by Ikeda

He didn't forget Tera.. he was talking about legitimate threats.. not Korean MMO's that have nothing more than perhaps a niche toe-hold on the market.

Yeah lol, do the same mistake over and over again, jump on the hype train and end up with BS game like SWTOR :) Btw what's wrong with Korean MMOs ? I like grinding a bit and anime style is just great...

Also with more ppl following the hype train to GW2 and TSW, I'm hoping for a great TERA community with En Masse  doing some real good work  already !

Originally posted by stragen001

Im guessing MMORPG.com will put a positive spin on this in comlete opposition to what everyone is thinking....

Are you implying that the fact they have gone in 4 months from staggering releasing the game copies becaue they didnt want to sell too many at once to , 

3 buddy key invites

free weekend

multiple free weekends

25 buddy key invites

free month for lvl 50's

free week for anyone with inactive subs ,

Is not a positive trend ?  :p

• jay8118jay8118 Member Posts: 29

I think what it is, they pissed off so many player's saying they were gonna have ranked warzones when they decided to pull the rug out from under them 1 day before patch 1.2 hit servers.

I guess you could read between the lines in saying they might put in ranked warzones in at least 30 days to show the players that did cancel there sub just to try out ranked warzones....

I might be stretching on this lol

• wowfan1996wowfan1996 Member UncommonPosts: 719

Originally posted by Jason2444
    Not "As an apology for bait and switching people into resubbing by telling them ranked WZs won't be in 1.2"
    It's unusual for me to defend SWTOR but this free play time giveaway can be interpreted as some sort of compensation for 1.2 being such a disappointment. Seems fair enough.

MMORPG genre is dead. Long live MMOCS (Massively Multiplayer Online Cash Shop).

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by kileak

Why they don't do the sensible option and do a $10 download with no free month, that might actually get new folks in rather than just lose a months revenue.

think they got a 1 week free trial out already....

But if they liked it, bear with me here, then they need to spend $60 to play for any longer.

Originally posted by Ikeda

Yeah lol, do the same mistake over and over again, jump on the hype train and end up with BS game like SWTOR :) Btw what's wrong with Korean MMOs ? I like grinding a bit and anime style is just great...

Also with more ppl following the hype train to GW2 and TSW, I'm hoping for a great TERA community with En Masse  doing some real good work  already !

Honestly once you got past the starter island in the Tera beta's the chat/community was actually x1000 better, and I saw more world PVP in a weekend than in the first three months of playing on a PVP server in SWTOR.

So if you enjoy world PVP more than instanced crap , combined with interesting combat mechanics (no tab targetting , moving around matters etc ) Tera is an enjoyable game.

Planning on playing it and GW2 myself.

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

Nice. I'll log in for the free 7 days to check out the new warzone at least and laugh at the legacy system.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• BunksBunks Member Posts: 960

So if 1.2 was the Jezzus patch, is this now the Lazarus Project?

• UkiahUkiah Member Posts: 273

Originally posted by hh33

Now just sit back and wait for the other shoe to drop. I stated yesterday that EA/Bioware was not going to have any other choice but to refund money spent by people who resubbed or stuck around due to a certain feature they openly advertised was going to be contained in this patch.

Now that EA/Bioware has decided to take what I deem as the sleaze option, the market (players) are going to tear them apart. Rule #1 in any business is you do not lie to or attempt to deceive your customers.

The free playing time offer is not going to cut it and as others have said it is a major sign of desperation on EA/Bioware's part.

As far as the free playing time goes, I uninstalled SWTOR for a reason and see no need to punish my PC further.

Check my history, I've tried to be equal parts supporter and critic. As objective as I've tried to be, 1.2 was doomed to failure. Ignore the game code/bug/mechanics for a second. What's REALLY screwing SWTOR is endemic organizational problems with BW. Getting a char copied to the PTS apparently requires a working knowledge of quantum physics and a virgin ungulate to accomplish. Even then, there's seems to be a marked preference by the developers to completely dismiss or outright IGNORE community feedback in the PTS forums.

I'll need to double check, but the 'announcement' about rated wz's not making it into 1.2 wasn't 'a day before' 1.2 was supposed to drop. It was HOURS before. There's not actual timestamp on Daniel Erickson's blogpost, but it WASN'T THERE all day yesterday. It didn't show up until yesterday evening AFTER they fucked up the loader and prematurely started downloading and installing 1.2 and subsequently breaking several peoples ability to play yesterday.

The free month thing isn't fooling ANYONE, even those of us 'still drinking the cool-aid'.

I fear it's already too late, but if it's NOT, they need to pull their heads out of their asses and make some organizational changes. First thing they should do is fire Georg Zoeller and frogmarch his incompetent ass from the building.