Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Greatest MMO fail

More often then not, when we get together my gaming friends and I always seem to wind up dissecting various MMO failures, e.g., "This game failed because of this. That game failed because of that." This got me thinking. What was the greatest MMO failure? Was it HGL? AoC?

Just curious as to the collective wisdom of the interwebs.

Comments

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

World of Warcraft because it changed all high budget MMOs into themeparks

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

Out of curiosity.. what's HGL?

Personally I'd say the biggest MMO failure would be Tabula Rasa. A game developed by Richard Garriot and several other members of the Ultima Online team, set in a sci-fi setting when everyone else was doing high fantasy, released in november 2007.... and closed down a year and a half later in february 2009.

AoC personally I wouldn't consider a failure (not a success either, though), mainly because, while it did have a really bad launch, it's not only still running, but being actively developed, and producing enough of a profit to Funcom to fund TSW (and personally think it's a very fun game).

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• FrostWyrmFrostWyrm Member Posts: 1,036

Originally posted by L0C0Man

AoC personally I wouldn't consider a failure (not a success either, though), mainly because, while it did have a really bad launch, it's not only still running, but being actively developed, and producing enough of a profit to Funcom to fund TSW (and personally think it's a very fun game).

^ This.

Even though I tried, and didn't like AoC, I can't call any game a failure thats still alive and making a profit.

• KryptyKrypty Member UncommonPosts: 454

Final Fantasy 14. It was so bad, it made people angry. The game was broken in every possible way.

Yes Age of Conan was a failure, but at least parts of it worked. You could at least argue levels 1-20 was fun. FF14 was boring/broken from the start.

• VindicothVindicoth Member Posts: 273

Two games that I hoped would succeed more than they have, and also failed to deliver in terms of my expectations..

Warhammer Online

Vanguard Saga of Heroes

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865

Originally posted by L0C0Man

Personally I'd say the biggest MMO failure would be Tabula Rasa. A game developed by Richard Garriot and several other members of the Ultima Online team, set in a sci-fi setting when everyone else was doing high fantasy, released in november 2007.... and closed down a year and a half later in february 2009.

I really enjoyed playing Tabula Rasa, so I would agree with that assesment. The fact it had a lot going for it and still failed makes it a pretty big fail. Obviouly someone somewhere really messed up.

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

I would say FFXIV was the biggest fail.

I would put SWTOR second but that is because I don't feel it wasn't a MMO, by definition it isn't.

I would say Rift was a bigger fail than AoC because I spent more time playing AoC and enjoying myself than I did in Rift. Beta tested and launched both games. Being bug free doesn't make you a success. Content and Gameplay are what matter most.

• orgashorgash Member Posts: 67

Would have to add Tabula Rasa to my top 3 fails only because it didn't go f2p and closed instead..had tons of fun with it in its short life

Stargate has to be up there in the 3 just because umm how did that mess happen? lol

SWG:nge just because it proved to be a disaster

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

I would have to go with a mmo that did not make release, due to last minute problems....So probably something like Tabula Rasa or however its spelled....Not saying it is the worst mmo, as a lot liked the potential...Just to take os much time, and spend so much money....So like it, or APB, but I think APB is getting back out there, but the original makers probably took the bath on it still...

Worst MMO game wise that I have paid for was TOR, not that it is the worst game ever or anything, but I don't think the MMO/Single player story worked well....Now I have to say this, I do not buy a ton of mmos, as I generally had played most of my mmos around a 6 months to a year+

1. UO - 6-8 years...This and EQ are my 1/2 all time.

2. EQ - 7-8 years

3. DAoC -  1.5 years (got tired of the nerfing, still was a great RvR game)...Favorite open PvP/RvR game ever. Top 5 for me.

4. EQ2 - 2-3 months, couldn't get the wife interested, and replaying a world I already had was a negative, more so than the game..Even with it being different, it killed some of the mystery.

5. SWG 6-8 months, got in late, CU/NGE ruined a lot of the crafting materials and changed the game too much...Needed fixed, not changed...

6. WAR 6 months, bad RvR incentive implimentation, people wouldn't defend, and crafting was pretty non-existent...Other things...

7. Vanguard 1 to 1.5 years (cant remember exact timeline) Loved the game, despite the problems, quality crafting, harvesting, pve...PvP was a little unbalanced, but decent...Lack of development and attention had killed who remained for the most part...Top 5 for me though.

Long layoff, moving , etc....

8.  Rift 3 months (paid for 6 months, based on nice 9.99 price break and my history of playing stuff for usually atleast 6 months) - It was too railed/small, crafting seemed obsolete for the most part...Good solid company though, if they made something more to my liking, I would not hesitate to play it. 

9.  TOR - 1 month - Too railed, crafting for the most part was too easy/senseless....Daily grind was boring, and I didn't like the direction of the, what was coming to fix things and make things better...I bought it due to friends playing it...Would not of done it otherwise, but that still couldn't keep me playing.

I played a lot of other stuff, beta'd WoW, Fallen Earth trial, Earthrise beta, Perpetuum beta, Darkfall trial, etc...I just am basing it on what I bought though.

• channel84channel84 Member UncommonPosts: 585

Dark and Light...nuff said

The hype and the scale of the failure is as they say in WoW.....Epic

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

I'd have to go with Alganon.  It's hard to top that in terms of trainwreck.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • hazyhazy Member UncommonPosts: 89

Biggest fail is tied at UO2 and UXO, both got cancelled by EA because EA is retarded.

Second biggest fail FFXIV, I actually wanted to fight the people who made it, it was that damn bad.

• KryptyKrypty Member UncommonPosts: 454

Originally posted by Thorbrand

I would put SWTOR second but that is because I don't feel it wasn't a MMO, by definition it isn't.

I would say Rift was a bigger fail than AoC because I spent more time playing AoC and enjoying myself than I did in Rift. Beta tested and launched both games. Being bug free doesn't make you a success. Content and Gameplay are what matter most.

How can Rift even be in this discussion? Rift is one of the great SUCCESS stories of MMO's. Small unknown company releases a MMO that at one point topped 1 million subs. Sure its down to like half that number now, but I bet they are still making plenty of profit. I understand if it's a fail to you personally, but I think the topic is about MMO's in general.

• ArkiniaArkinia Member Posts: 251

great thread.

1. EQ 2 albeit, still alive, the dissapointment I felt choosing that over WoW was a mistake. I loved EQ, but this thing was just horrid.

2. LOTRO I know many love this game and still play, but if there was ever a game that shouted PvP, this was it. Monster play was a lol. 

3. Warhammer Man, it started great, the early scenarios were fun and people actually participated in the PQ's. The Pve killed this game for me, period.

4. AOC Great starting area, after that...sucksville.

5. SWTOR I was suckered in to the CE edition, I still play, but after the 1.2 patch and the barren worlds, I unsubbed.

• dadante666dadante666 Member UncommonPosts: 402

FFXIV-SWTOR FOR ME THOS 2  .

im not going to say mmofps cause they are all fail because sadly  all fps is made in a way that you cna unlock aimbot its part of the system and sadly all fps  gonna have hacks they never cant change it NEVER ,its like saying to a older spider to not eat theyr yougest cause its the way of life  even if they dont want it its need to be done.

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

I cant for the life of me remember the name of it, but there was an MMO which was in the works and took plenty of preorders, and then the devs did a runner with the cash. It was pure vapor/scamware.... now THAT is a fail.

If anyone remembers the name enlighten me cos its bugging the hell out of me

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• chillizchilliz Member UncommonPosts: 96

Originally posted by gameguy369

Originally posted by Thorbrand

How can Rift even be in this discussion? Rift is one of the great SUCCESS stories of MMO's. Small unknown company releases a MMO that at one point topped 1 million subs. Sure its down to like half that number now, but I bet they are still making plenty of profit. I understand if it's a fail to you personally, but I think the topic is about MMO's in general.

Sorry this is the biggest load of crap ever.

1) Yes Trion might not have been heard of etc.  But they wnot some small little company from a bloody small absemant or wharehouse, they had multi million dollar investfund funds backing them.  They in no wya shape or form were small, they had millions backing them.  Whoever the guy behind  is,  must have had some preety well connected friends.

2)  No where ever did trion release sub figures, where the hell are you getting 1 million subscribed?  

If anyhting Id say Rifts retention figures are probabaly preety low, and im pulling this out my arse but id put there subscriber base anywhere from 100k to 200k max.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507

Sad really, how easy it is for everyone to toss in so many candidates to the fail list.  image

FFXIV, Vanguard, AOC all come to mind right off the bat, but so many other good candidates out here.

Biggest disappointment for me was WAR, for some reason i had hoped that it would be a good spiritual successor to DAOC and that wasn't how it turned out.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• JakardJakard Member Posts: 415

Nothing comes close to Final Fantasy XIV

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365

in this thread we have people who define fail as "i didn't like it" arguing with people who define fail as "didn't turn a profit"

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

Let's not forget about Matrix Online!

• JakardJakard Member Posts: 415

Not that's it's really an MMO but.....

Flagship Studios deserved to go out of business after Hellgate:London

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

It has to be WAR. Well known IP + developed by the company that created DAOC + funded by EA should have been a formula that led to a highly successful game not one that had most of us bailing on the game after the first few months.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

Originally posted by Ramanadjinn

in this thread we have people who define fail as "i didn't like it" arguing with people who define fail as "didn't turn a profit"

Thats why I discussed both, and gave answers for both...Fail is a broad term, and fail for who?  A company, it would be money lost, a person, it would be time played/enjoyment...If a company lost a ton of money, but someone loved the game, they would have different opinions...So I gave a company and player answer.

• zanebergeronzanebergeron Member UncommonPosts: 80

Well I would have to say Horizons IMO. Though it had a few things I did like about it.

CURRENTLY PLAYING |GW2|
    PLAYED UO:SWG:EQ2:GW:WoW:CoH:Lotro:AoC:Vanguard:Horizons:RIFT:swtor:Shadowbane and I'm sure a few others
    WATCHING:EQ Next : Wildstar:Archage :WoD
    WISHING FOR: A UO Remake
    HAPPILY PLAYING ONLINE SINCE 97.