Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So read this article today, it was fantastic...

itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Personal Story in GW2 vs. Class Quests in SWTOR

pretty much sums it up for me i think, it's what i saw in SWTOR when i spent some time trying it out on a friends computer. When i watched many videos about GW2 on youtube about how they might handle this i noticed even in the character generation screen, there were essential differences. There wasn't simply this choose what your character will look like and give him a name thing like in other mmo's out there.

Comments

• Loser60Loser60 Member Posts: 170

A spiffy and great read, thanks for the link!

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

*outfits Growls with flame-retardant suit* Nice read, thanks for that.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• WolvardsWolvards Member Posts: 650

Originally posted by gaeanprayer

*outfits Growl's with flame-retardant suit* Nice read, thanks for that.

+1 Get ready Growls! Awesome link thanks for the post.

The "Youtube Pro": Someone who watches video's on said subject, and obviously has a full understanding of what is being said about such subject.

• OldManFunkOldManFunk Member Posts: 894

That's strange; I'd swear that I read somewhere that SW:TOR had better story than GW2.

I admit that I don't know much about the personal story lines because this is one of the features that I care about the least but it's still good to know that it's a lot more involved than I had originally thought it was.

• MavacarMavacar Member Posts: 328

Originally posted by OldManFunk

That's strange; I'd swear that I read somewhere that SW:TOR had better story than GW2.

I admit that I don't know much about the personal story lines because this is one of the features that I care about the least but it's still good to know that it's a lot more involved than I had originally thought it was.

You're reading my mind. I've always treated GW2's personal story like "Oh that's cute" but never really thought it would be any good compared to SWTOR.

I'm probably won't change my mind before launch but if I'm wrong damn I would be real happy

• ComfyChairComfyChair Member Posts: 758

We haven't seen much of the story for GW2. So saying any of them are better at this point is a bit stupid :)

Most of the game mechanics are far and away better, but we haven't seen enough story yet to say.

• heavyhebrewheavyhebrew Member Posts: 309

Deep within the Troll Kingdom, the flames of hatred are fanned.

Gird yourself, Itgrowls, the Trolls will march!

TRUST THE COMPUTER! THE COMPUTER IS YOUR FRIEND!

Stay Alert! Trust No One! Keep Your Laser Handy!

Yellow Clearance Black Box Blues!

• MavacarMavacar Member Posts: 328

Jason Winter on the personal story

http://www.gamebreaker.tv/mmorpg/personal-touches/

• ZaltarkZaltark Member UncommonPosts: 437

Its mainly because there are 2 types of RPGS. Theres the ones where you get to become your character and design them according to your phantasy (think Skyrim). Then theres others that tell you, this is what will be your fate (think SWTOR). GW2 is sorta in the middle. Which is a huge plus in my book.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Some people will allways prefer the novel, above choosing your own way. And the main story in SWTOR was actually quite amusing tough sometimes a bit thin and to obvious.

GW has allways had some awesome story telling quests, and i cant imagine that it would be any less in GW2.  They might be less visually stunning, but the content will prolly be better then in SW:TOR

Which makes me just wodnering, what arguments where used  when the person declared SWTOR's stories better then GW2?

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• VowOfSilenceVowOfSilence Member UncommonPosts: 565

interesting info, but way too opinionated and hypish.

Hype train -> Reality

• garretthgarretth Member UncommonPosts: 343

Originally posted by itgrowls

pretty much sums it up for me i think, it's what i saw in SWTOR when i spent some time trying it out on a friends computer. When i watched many videos about GW2 on youtube about how they might handle this i noticed even in the character generation screen, there were essential differences. There wasn't simply this choose what your character will look like and give him a name thing like in other mmo's out there.

I enjoyed reading the guy's experience and I'm glad he enjoyed it.

There is no reason you can't enjoy the story in SWTOR as well as GW2...and vice versa.

I think the main difference that he pointed out is that GW2 has a greater selection of choices in your personal story.

Some folks will like that and some folks won't....

Great post.

• dadante666dadante666 Member UncommonPosts: 402

i wonder were you read swt have better personal story than gw2  imean did you even play swtor?

if you do then you can see alot of unlogyc desition in the personal story  like doing bad thing give you light  point

and sometimes doing good thing give you dark point  imean come on. i play swtor and ican say i regret it  was really not worth the time  just play amonth and  cancel mi sub.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

Originally posted by garretth

Originally posted by itgrowls

I enjoyed reading the guy's experience and I'm glad he enjoyed it.

There is no reason you can't enjoy the story in SWTOR as well as GW2...and vice versa.

I think the main difference that he pointed out is that GW2 has a greater selection of choices in your personal story.

Some folks will like that and some folks won't....

Great post.

I got the same message as you, GW2 simply has more choices. If anything, it will allow for more replayability, which is always a plus in mmo design. It was an interesting read to say the least.

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379

I enjoyed the read and agreed with the writer since my experiences thus far mirrored his own in regards to both games, although I admit I couldn't stomach much of TOR before my month was up so I didn't experience any later game story. I do doubt it improved over what I was witness to in my time though. Whether or not one was better is going to come down to personal opinion though I hope the story is judged on content and entertainment rather than presentation. Choose your own adventure got old fast after realizing it was meaningless.

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

Variety is always a good option. The single largest drawback to Swtor story is the lack of diversity. You are plainly locked in the entire way.

Who knows how GW2 story will play out until personally tested but for me the biggest advantage of it is that GW2 also doesn't load you with other traditional quest lines. In Swtor you can become burdened quickly by your own personal story, planet stories, bonus series stories and all the filler side quests. Once done they are more or less always the same your next run through.

In GW2 your own story may change up enough to differentiate it from others and not just yourself for possible second run throughs while at the same time playing along side the dynamnic quest system that is fluid and does not fill your quest log with npc's to talk with confusing you with your own story. The dynamic quests you participate in are entirely within your own power. You set out where you want to go. A quest line does not drive you for the most part. This will likely be a huge difference.

Now the only thing that makes all this good is if all these mechanics are actually fun. If indeed they are then GW2 will be a dramatic difference from other games in perspective and gameplay. Change is always a risk but maybe the reward will be great.

You stay sassy!

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

The read was good, and the idea sounds awesome. But I wouldn't put my eggs on the story basket for GW2. If you think about it its really hard to create a good story that also really changes as you make options. Im not saying GW2 is not going to nail it but Im super skeptical.

Originally posted by Kuppa

The read was good, and the idea sounds awesome. But I wouldn't put my eggs on the story basket for GW2. If you think about it its really hard to create a good story that also really changes as you make options. Im not saying GW2 is not going to nail it but Im super skeptical.

Ya I would worry about that as well if GW2 hyped the hell out of story like Bioware did but seeing how it is merely mentioned along side of their other gameplay mechanics without much fanfare it leads me to believe they trust the rest of the game if good enough to not need story alone.

You stay sassy!

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802

great read, and thank you I didn't know some the points listed for GW2 story

• Skarecrow7Skarecrow7 Member UncommonPosts: 339

I really liked how TOR presented the story more so then what I have seen from GW2. Granted, is SOUNDS like gw2 gives more and better choices. I HATED the fact that in TOR, you had to always have the option on to show if you would get light or dark side points from story options. I just wanted to play my character how I thought he would answer, not worry about giving the right answer so I could use that relic.

• channel84channel84 Member UncommonPosts: 585

Comparing GW2 personal story to ToR story quest is like comparing Mass effect to Skyrim. They use different mechanic and feel to them. ToR is more toward cinematic and GW2 is more towards dynamic character development

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

Realistically speaking, there's a limited amount of story branches you can possibly have.

Without playing it yet, I'm going to go out on a limb and guess this is the way it'll work.

There will be story branches originally.  It'll change your experience a bit, BUT it's not going to lead to completely different decisions later on down the line.  So it's not like choices A or B lead to C and D or E and F... or if it is, that'll only happen a few times.

Also, they're going to phase out the racial based story branching around level... 30?  40?  Whenever it is you get to Lion's Arch, and replace it with story branching based off whether you join the Vigil, the Order or... whatever the three names are.

There will be references made to choices you made earlier, and evidence of it (Changes in your home district, for example), but the majority of decisions you make will be decisions that everybody of your type will make.

They may divide it a bit originally by racial + character generation decisions (Like a poor person will go on a separate storyline from a noble), but there's only so much branching you can do before it'd crush the storytelling department between having to write out all the choices. 

So, just as an educated guess (Yeah, I know, I haven't been reading up on the examples and watching videos.  I'm trying to AVOID having the story spoiled for me. :P ), I'd say something like... 3 choices for each race, so 15 possible starting storylines at first, with choices that make a difference, but generally won't affect the next story step too much. (Since even 4 meaningful choices would change the storylines from 15 (A fuckton) to 120 storylines... (Way too many to write for)

Then they'll collapse into story based off of which way you want to fight the dragon, later on, with maybe the occasional reference to you race or tying up loose ends, but mostly shifting focus.

Just an educated guess, mind you. :D

• ComfyChairComfyChair Member Posts: 758

Originally posted by Tamanous

Ya I would worry about that as well if GW2 hyped the hell out of story like Bioware did but seeing how it is merely mentioned along side of their other gameplay mechanics without much fanfare it leads me to believe they trust the rest of the game if good enough to not need story alone.

To be honest, Arenanet haven't really made any real 'fanfare' for any of their features. They've just said 'hey guys, here's our game and what's in it'. All the excitement comes from the fact that what we've seen/played is awesome :)

The story voice overs ect. are a vast step up over guild wars 1, which is nice. but until i've played the story i can't comment on the overall quality. The bar isn't exactly high though, SWTOR's story was 'good for an MMO', not 'good'.

Originally posted by ComfyChair

To be honest, Arenanet haven't really made any real 'fanfare' for any of their features. They've just said 'hey guys, here's our game and what's in it'. All the excitement comes from the fact that what we've seen/played is awesome :)

The story voice overs ect. are a vast step up over guild wars 1, which is nice. but until i've played the story i can't comment on the overall quality. The bar isn't exactly high though, SWTOR's story was 'good for an MMO', not 'good'.

Well I have been suckered in enough to pre-purchase :)

April 20th beta weekend and I'll see for myself!

You stay sassy!

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

Originally posted by ComfyChair

TBH they have. Dynamic event is pretty much the clear one but WvW is gaining ground. Either way, thats not a bad thing. But I believe story won't be something groundbreaking and again its an opinion not a fact.