Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can't decide what to buy.. This or tera :/

CitalCital Member Posts: 18

What would people recommend?

I'm looking for a game with smooth gameplay, and just for it to feel fluid like WoW was/is.

Which of these two is most fluid.

Comments

• Darth_OsorDarth_Osor Member Posts: 1,089

I have not played either, so I can't answer which is smoother, but AFAIK they are totally different types of combat.  TERA has more actiony/3rd person shooter like combat, and and TSW is tab target like WoW.

• OnomicOnomic Member Posts: 196

Tera has animation lock, for me it feels natural but there are people who dislike it and i would be wary of this since you want fluid game. If i was you i would do more research on that subject.

Tsw i know nothing about

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Tera comes out this month, TSW you have no idea when it really will release. Remember, this is Funcom, the official dates are not necessarily solid.

So why not play Tera now and TSW later when it releases, could be a 4-6 month spread between the two.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

Originally posted by Kyleran

Tera comes out this month, TSW you have no idea when it really will release. Remember, this is Funcom, the official dates are not necessarily solid.

So why not play Tera now and TSW later when it releases, could be a 4-6 month spread between the two.

you truly have no idea what you are talking about

TSW launches June 19th, June 15th for some of us

to the OP, try the TERA open beta then decide

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Originally posted by Myrdynn

I'll be very surprised if TSW launches on the 19th, and if it does there's a high probability the quality level won't be what it needs to be.

This is Funcom after all.

But your optimism is refreshing. image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

TSW will launch june 19th. At what shape, that's the question :>

• xZeRGzxZeRGz Member Posts: 118

I would take TSW sight unseen over Tera... and I am still on the fence about TSW

TSW. But if you are not going to play D3 you still have 1½ months to play TERA before TSW comes out :j

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

Originally posted by Cital

What would people recommend?

I'm looking for a game with smooth gameplay, and just for it to feel fluid like WoW was/is.

Which of these two is most fluid.

If you want a generically packaged but completely polished piece of crap, you want to buy TOR.  

I don't think either TSW or Tera will be nearly as polished.  These games are banking on being different, not on doing "the same shit, but better" which is what you seem to be looking for.  For that, there is TOR.  

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• ClerigoClerigo Member UncommonPosts: 400

Well, if you want to be having some fun, play AION while you wait for GW2.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Myrdynn

I'll be very surprised if TSW launches on the 19th, and if it does there's a high probability the quality level won't be what it needs to be.
    This is Funcom after all.
    But your optimism is refreshing.

Lol really? ALL the upcoming games will launch with bugs. there's no current evidence that TSW will launch in any better or worse state than the competition, nor does it have a different chance for delay than the rest.

OP: 1. I think the rule of thumb here is Tera would have a more familiar style to wow, where TSW is more "free form" in its progression.

2.if you like tab targeting more of the same go TSW, if you want something different go for tera.

3.Both titles haven't been released yet, there's no need to start spending money atm. Take your time, research so you can make a more informed decision on your purchase.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• spaceportspaceport Member Posts: 405

While TSW seems to be more innovative than Tera in some ways, both are standard themeparks with some kind of twist, but nothing groundbreaking.

Tera has better PVP (guild wars, open world PVP, etc)

While TSW looks to be more of a PVE game.

And TSW is even more instanced than SWTOR, so if you hate instancing and playing 90% of the time alone, TSW isn't the game for you.

If you are tired of standard quest grind, avoid Tera.

However, TSW is a Funcom game, so it's probably going to be a bugfest at launch, id reccomend buying Tera or GW2 and wait a couple of months/years to play this game, AoC was a piece of crap at launch and now it's still bad but at least there are no bugs.

So, PVP, combat, group content and open world gameplay = Tera

Instanced PVE, instanced PVP, setting, art style and story = TSW

"Esport with tournaments is for hardcore pvp'rs that want to be competitive. Openworld PVP with ganking and griefing is for casuals that just wants their pvp mixed with pve from time to time."
    otacu

• Cthulhu23Cthulhu23 Member Posts: 994

Originally posted by Clerigo

Well, if you want to be having some fun, play AION while you wait for GW2.

Well, if the OP is willing to shell out money while waiting, then TERA is a much better version of Aion.  And as far as "fluid gameplay," I'd sy there is a pretty good chance TERA will have TSW beat in that respect, as well.  You always have to take into account the "FLF" (Funcom Launch Factor) when talking about fluid, polished gameplay.  

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157

Buy all 3 of them the only way to be sure its what I do.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Isn't TERA running their open beta now? I just got the e-mail about it today. There's no better way to decide than to actually play the game. TSW is supposedly out this year but from what I've seen, it really doesn't look to be far into development enough for that. Maybe Funcom is just keeping a tighter leash on things than most devs.

I haven't decided how I feel about TSW. I am looking forward to it, but what I've been hearing from people in the beta is troubling and very opposite of what people who've yet to play seem to feel (aside from the Press who, generally, are excited about every shiny new thing that comes out). So while it's on my radar, I'm patiently waiting for either a beta of an influx of information and gameplay videos. 

My advice would be to try the TERA OB and see if you like it enough to play long-term, and if you do, then play it. TSW isn't going anywhere anytime soon, you can try it further down the road and, if it does happen to disappear that quickly, it probably wasn't worth your time anyway.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

Originally posted by spaceport

While TSW seems to be more innovative than Tera in some ways, both are standard themeparks with some kind of twist, but nothing groundbreaking.

And TSW is even more instanced than SWTOR, so if you hate instancing and playing 90% of the time alone, TSW isn't the game for you.

However, TSW is a Funcom game, so it's probably going to be a bugfest at launch, id reccomend buying Tera or GW2 and wait a couple of months/years to play this game, AoC was a piece of crap at launch and now it's still bad but at least there are no bugs.

TSW's endgame will have a lot of PvP. There will be instanced (battlegrounds/minigames) and FvFvF Warzones that are closer to open world PvP. There won't be player killing in sense of Tera however.

It's kinda funny how the western players have taken Tera as a PvP game (by having low level skirmishes in beta) while it's a completely designed to be a PvE game and they are only just adding more PvP features in the korean version. Sure it might become a good PvP game if they keep spending resources on it, but PvE is where Tera shines.

This is a hard comparison though, Tera is all about the combat system, while TSW is about everything else than combat.

• spaceportspaceport Member Posts: 405

Originally posted by GoldenArrow

TSW's endgame will have a lot of PvP. There will be instanced (battlegrounds/minigames) and FvFvF Warzones that are closer to open world PvP. There won't be player killing in sense of Tera however.

It's kinda funny how the western players have taken Tera as a PvP game (by having low level skirmishes in beta) while it's a completely designed to be a PvE game and they are only just adding more PvP features in the korean version. Sure it might become a good PvP game if they keep spending resources on it, but PvE is where Tera shines.

This is a hard comparison though, Tera is all about the combat system, while TSW is about everything else than combat.

Which is why Tera's PVP is better.

Don't kid yourself, PVP in The Secret Instance is going to be an afterthought at best.

"Esport with tournaments is for hardcore pvp'rs that want to be competitive. Openworld PVP with ganking and griefing is for casuals that just wants their pvp mixed with pve from time to time."
    otacu

Originally posted by GoldenArrow

Which is why Tera's PVP is better.

Don't kid yourself, PVP in The Secret Instance is going to be an afterthought at best.

That's a matter of preferance. I for one don't enjoy PKing in the open world. Nothing is more annoying than getting jumped by some 12-year-old going "PWND PWND" when you are trying to solo an elite mob. I prefer instanced PvP since when you join a battleground/minigame it's obvious everyone is specced/geared/prepared to PvP and wanting to PvP. If there's open world PvP I rather have clearly marked zones for this activity.

• Crunchy221Crunchy221 Member Posts: 489

"pvp will be an afterthought"

Depends how their presistant pvp "instance" that effect everyone pans out.

I know in SWTOR the game was to have revolutionary pvp, and pvp was a major focal point in development...in the end it just turned out to be 1 bad instance, 1 instance some liked some hated, and one instance everyone enjoyed somewhat....just queueing for pvp...their persistant pvp world flopped incredibly hard.

So being and afterthought or not doesnt matter, it matters how people play it.  If its unplayable, predicable, or just unfun...at least the game promises to have a unique pve game.  Its going to be interesting how pvp pans out with no OP class for the kids to flock to. People are going to actually have to think to creat a powerful pvp class, and theres a whole lot of room for experementation on builds.  That alone will be interesting for me.

• JakardJakard Member Posts: 415

I don't know.

If you are looking for a "World of Warcraft" type game. I don't think either of these games fit the bill. You're more likely to enjoy Guild Wars 2 although the GW2 community is going pummel me for using WoW in the same breath as Guild Wars 2 but I do think it has more in common with WoW than either Tera or The Secret World. Although, if you're really looking for a WoW type game, you're probably gonna wanna play RIFT.

Originally posted by Jakard

I don't know.

If you are looking for a "World of Warcraft" type game. I don't think either of these games fit the bill. You're more likely to enjoy Guild Wars 2 although the GW2 community is going pummel me for using WoW in the same breath as Guild Wars 2 but I do think it has more in common with WoW than either Tera or The Secret World. Although, if you're really looking for a WoW type game, you're probably gonna wanna play RIFT.

Simple game for Simple gamers. Choose GW2!

• NailzzzNailzzz Member UncommonPosts: 515

I don't know.

Aside from medieval fantasy themed, what does GW2 have in common with WoW that TSW or Tera do not?

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802

depends on what you want, I have played both and TSW is very unfinished and will not be ready for its release date in June, also the questing and flow of the game is not fluid at all.. you end up being jolted many times in a bad way as in.. wait wtf does this mean? why was I sent here? why did that quest update? do I really have to drop this quest to pick up this one I found while doing another? Also there are very little choices you can make other than which quest to do and you can only do max 3 at a time but this is usually only 2. Whats funny is there is a lot of talk about choices while you follow the trail to your quest objectives without knowing why.

Tera on the other hand looks AMAZING but it is a Korean grinder and if you like those games you will be happy. However... the animation stops are a major pain in the butt and were a deal breaker for me. Example the mystic has a long range teleport forward.. nice huh for a clothy? Yea... no because after you teleport the camera has to catch up to you before you can move and it takes almost as long as running there.. so now the player or mob you were avoiding just caught you anyways.. pretty much its only useful if the other player is stuck in their own animation, unable to control their toon. There is no cancel attack button.

A third game in the mix which I have also played is Guild Wars 2. In MY opinion it is a much better game and there is too much to point out here if you do not know it. If you do then decide whether it is for you or not. I had a ton of fun playing it and cannot wait to get a hold of it again. Here is a thread in case you aren't familiar with GW2. http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/337506/page/1

Good luck in your decision and I hope you like whichever you decide on.

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802

Originally posted by Nailzzz

I don't know.

Aside from medieval fantasy themed, what does GW2 have in common with WoW that TSW or Tera do not?

None of these games are like WoW.. all three are a whole new animal.. for different reasons. 

Tera in its genre(not in the same as GW2 and TSW) has added active combat, dodging and FPS style "targeting" to the Korean grinder grp of games. Great step forward IMO.

TSW is set in our world and uses our lore to make up its story. The get rid of lvling in the traditional sense which is great. They unfortunately should have used the wow questing model over their own because it has HUGE flaws, but they did try here.

GW2 semi action based combat with dodging. They has completely redone their questing system and its sorta like Rifts done real well and all over. They have done away with traditional endgame and gearing and made improvements to things like crafting.

Originally posted by ariboersma

Originally posted by Nailzzz

I don't know.

None of these games are like WoW.. all three are a whole new animal.. for different reasons. 

Tera in its genre(not in the same as GW2 and TSW) has added active combat, dodging and FPS style "targeting" to the Korean grinder grp of games. Great step forward IMO.

TSW is set in our world and uses our lore to make up its story. The get rid of lvling in the traditional sense which is great. They unfortunately should have used the wow questing model over their own because it has HUGE flaws, but they did try here.

GW2 semi action based combat with dodging. They has completely redone their questing system and its sorta like Rifts done real well and all over. They have done away with traditional endgame and gearing and made improvements to things like crafting.

Just because something is different doesn't mean it's flawed. Looking at your posts you seem to doom games for very little faults and if you actually enjoyed GW2 _that much_ you must be casual oriented gamer.

One thing worth mentioning is that GW2 doesn't have an endgame, there's no character progression once you hit the max level 80. You will only get gear that's slightly different statswise although having the same power tier as "quest" rewards around 80.

Tera does have an endgame revolving around multiple tier dungeons and PvP (PvE/PvP gear treadmill) and they've also introduced some sort of endgame "raid" content in the latest korean versions. There's also enchanting gear which takes a lot of gold to manage so getting the gear to drop and successfully upgrading it to +12 will take awhile ;J

TSW does have 525 skills to unlock (will take a long time), Tiered 5-man dungeons (Funcom is the king of 5-mans), 10-man raids, PvP warzones (FvFvF zones) + "battlegrounds" and a story that expands in every content patch. Basically unlocking the skills / gear treadmill / more story is what to expect.

GW2 is something you enjoy a lot while levelling up but you hit a brick wall at 80. From there you can either do dungeons for cosmetic gear, do WvWvW for cosmetic gear or go Structured PvP that is balanced and completely unaffected by gear/Cash Shop. If you enjoy endgame in mmorpgs don't choose GW2 in any situation.

Tera & TSW both have a long endgame and will keep you playing for a looong time much like WoW.

IMHO, In the end it boils down to:

Endgame:  Tera&TSW > GW2

Traditional combat: TSW > Tera > GW2

Action combat: GW2&Tera > TSW

Graphics: Tera > GW2&TSW (Style preferance ofc)

Polish: Tera > GW2 > TSW (GW2 shows better polish than TSW and Tera has already been out in KR)

PvP: GW2 > Tera&TSW (Tera/TSW might have "fun" PvP but the balance is in Structured PvP for GW2)

Developer/Publisher: GW2&Tera > TSW

Questing: GW2 > Tera&TSW (Events are far more interesting/fun than anything shown on Tera/TSW at the moment)

Animations: GW2&Tera > TSW

Story: TSW > GW2 > Tera

Casual friendly: GW2 > TSW > Tera ( This is just prejudice, Korean game with grind, I doubt it's casual friendly in the end)

Hardcore: Tera > TSW > GW2 (Obvious)

Price: Tera&GW2 > TSW

(( Tera has monthly, but cheaper box and no CS. Also the option to buy game time with ingame gold makes it cheaper if you are HC. GW2 is cheaper if you plan not to use the CS and you are casual, thus not having time to farm gold in Tera.))

This list could go on and on and on and on... But the point here is that ALL of these games have GOOD qualities. It depends on which are your priority.