Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can I Play GW2 On This Rig?

kolsovokolsovo Member Posts: 74

Hey forum.

So let me start off by apologzing if this is the wrong place to post this. I looked around for some GW2 forums, but they were not to be found.

Now then.

So I'm considering buying Guild Wars 2- partly because I get a head-start before other players at launch time, but mainly because it means I get access to the Beta!

Herein lay the problem.

I tested my PC with "Can You Run It?", the website that tests your hardware for run-ability.It said, of course, that I passed with flying colors! Except...not really.

The thing is I tested my PC with several other games I have, like Civilization 5 and SW:TOR. Again, it claimed that I passed with flying colors. The problem is, though, that I CAN'T play those games at top graphics- to the contary, I have to run both only slightly above bottom level to retain any reasonable game speed (although with Civ 5 the massive 19 player games I play could definitely contribute to the lag), thus losing all shadows and a good bit of texture quality.

So here I am: I want to ask if I'd be able to play GW2 with my computer (specs listed below), and if so how much detail would I have to give up and how much lag would I have to deal with?

SPECS:

Intel Core i5-2500k CPU @ 3.30GHz

16 GB RAM

64 bit OS (Windows 7)

GeForce GT 520 Graphics Card

I can post other hardware spec on request.

Any and all responses are appreciated.

The answer is 42 you idiot!

Comments

• DawnstarDawnstar Member UncommonPosts: 207

I think your system exceeds the recommended requirements, but here's a link that might be helpful:

http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=684&game=Guild%20Wars%202

Hope this helps.

• dzoni87dzoni87 Member Posts: 541

I checked "can you run it" couple of minutes ago, and i got sad when i saw my result for GW2... but then i saw that it became bugged. They said that minimum CPU is Core 2 Duo @ 2.0 GhZ and mine is below that, despite the fact that i have Core 2 Duo @ 2.4 GhZ :P.

On topic, i think you shouldnt be worried even a bit. First thing is that MMORPGs are never meant to have high requirements. It is not like GW2 is build on Crytek or Unreal engine or what ever the über-photorealistic-physical engine shooters are built upon. Second thing is the fact that modern-day gfx games are caried through the Graphic card and GPU processor rather than anything else and GT 520 is pretty solid one.

Main MMO at the moment: Guild Wars 2
    Waiting for: Pathfinder Online

• DaShnipaDaShnipa Member UncommonPosts: 33

Can you run it? Yup, will you be able to run max resolution/best eye candy? nope.

If your looking for the best gaming experience, upgrade that GT 520. You don't have to spend an arm and a leg, a GTX 560Ti would serve your purposes quite nicely.  A radeon 7700+ would also suit what you need. If your not after all the goodies and eye candy, then I believe you should have no issues running the game on medium settings.

Keep in mind, a GT 520 is a work station graphics card ( basic office stuff). Not a gaming card so don't expect an ant to lift a boulder.  

Main Rig --- i7 920 @ 3.6ghz//6GB Patriot XGS DDR3 1600@1804 mhz CAS9//HAF 932//Corsair HX1000//ASUS P6T Deluxe//2xMSI GTX570 Twin Frozr II SLI//64GB Patriot Torqx SSD// 1TB Seagate HDD

Secondary --- Macbook :)

• kolsovokolsovo Member Posts: 74

Just a heads up if you folks ever buy a gaming PC, be careful at CyberPower...be sure to check what items are checked off...

-_-

But anyways, as long as I can run it at low/med settings quickly, I'm all good. I don't care much about eye candy, I just want the damn thing to be FAST!

Also, that website posted ranked my graphics card at a 3/10 Q_Q

Also also, if I get addicted enough I may well upgrade the card, but I gotta try the game first- frankly, I'm worried that it'll just be another waste of 60 bucks (*cough cough* Like RIFT and SW:TOR were *cough cough*).

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

No offense but that 520 is a piece of shit regarding gaming.

I can get one off newegg right now for $45 dollars. That is at best a media card for watching movies or playing games from 10 years ago.

The rest of your system is decent at the least, and they put in a card that retails for $45 !! ??

Dude upgrade you video card to at least something middle of the road. Which is about $150 bucks for a 6850. Your performance will increase by around 400% at least o.O

No offense intended. But before you pay someone like Ibuypower to build a " gaming" computer do yourself a favor and at least google all the parts, or look on newegg.

For a system that I bet was $1000+ ( probably 1200$+ ) they slapped a video card that retails for $45 bucks, which they probably bought in bulk for $25 each. And then people wonder why their "gaming computer" wont run anything o.O

I have paid plenty of stupid tax for bad decisions in my life. IMO chalk this up to a lesson learned, go and order you a decent video card ( yes spend at least $150), and remember this next time you order a computer.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Originally posted by kolsovo

Hey forum.

So let me start off by apologzing if this is the wrong place to post this. I looked around for some GW2 forums, but they were not to be found.

Now then.

So I'm considering buying Guild Wars 2- partly because I get a head-start before other players at launch time, but mainly because it means I get access to the Beta!

Herein lay the problem.

I tested my PC with "Can You Run It?", the website that tests your hardware for run-ability.It said, of course, that I passed with flying colors! Except...not really.

The thing is I tested my PC with several other games I have, like Civilization 5 and SW:TOR. Again, it claimed that I passed with flying colors. The problem is, though, that I CAN'T play those games at top graphics- to the contary, I have to run both only slightly above bottom level to retain any reasonable game speed (although with Civ 5 the massive 19 player games I play could definitely contribute to the lag), thus losing all shadows and a good bit of texture quality.

So here I am: I want to ask if I'd be able to play GW2 with my computer (specs listed below), and if so how much detail would I have to give up and how much lag would I have to deal with?

SPECS:

16 GB RAM

64 bit OS (Windows 7)

I was using an intel core 2 duo 2.2ghz 4 gb ram 32 bit windows 7 pro ati radeon x1900 and the checker said i exceeded the minimum requirements. If my old rig could then almost anyone can play this thing.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

The disclaimer is in the web site's name.  It's not called "Can You Run It At Max Settings?"  Yes, you can run the games--but only at low or moderate settings.

Basically, you've paired a high end processor with Nvidia's lowest end video card of the last three generations.  That's why you get high frame rates at low settings, and then things fall apart when you turn settings up and put a lot more demand on the video card.

Video cards are often pretty easy to upgrade.  But you may need to replace your power supply, and your case airflow may also cause problems.  What else do you have in your system?  Post your complete specs, or at least, the case and everything that goes inside it.  Peripherals don't matter.

• striker29striker29 Member Posts: 15

You can't play those games on high graphical settings because the 520 is bad.  It's not meant for gaming at all. 

Here's some info with graphic card naming.  The first digit denotes the generation.  (i.e. 5xx is newer than 4xx)  The second digit (and third) is it's relative power in that generation. (i.e. 560 is newer and stronger than 460, however a 480 is older but stronger than a 560)

The 520 is a low end card.  Don't get fooled thinking it's a bigger number so it's better.  It's much weaker than a 3 years older 260 because that card is designed for gaming.

The cards mentioned in this thread (560ti, 6850) for upgrades are all good, but check your power supply.  You might need to upgrade that too.  For a low powered card, a 6670 or 7750 will work.  But you should be looking to upgrade the power supply and getting a nice graphic card like a 560 ti since your CPU is pretty high end for gaming.

• dadante666dadante666 Member UncommonPosts: 402

Hey forum.

Now then.

Herein lay the problem.

SPECS:

16 GB RAM

64 bit OS (Windows 7)

your rig are perfect the only problem is the vid card  you need atleast agtx 560 ti like minimun for a great performance but i sugest  gtx 580 now that its cheap and will do more than enough

• kolsovokolsovo Member Posts: 74

@Quizzical, had to dig up my old receipt but....

CoolerMaster HAF 912 Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/ Adjustable HDD Cage

500 Watts Power Supply (Standard)

Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling SYstem 120MM Radiator & Fan (Enhanced Cooling Performance + Extreme SIlent at 20dBA) (Single Standard 120MM Fan)

60 GB OCZ Agility 3 SATA III 6.0 Gb/ s SSD- 525 MB/s Read and 475MB/s Write (Single Drive) (I had to add my old 300gb HDD to deal with this piece of crap)

[CrossFireX] MSI Z68A-G43 (G3) Intel Z68 ATX Mainboard w/ Lucid Virtu, Intel SRT, OC Genie II, Winki 3 & 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, USB3.0, SATA-III RAID, 2 Gen3 PCIe X16, 2 PCIe X1 & 3 PCI (All Venom OC Certified)

Other stuff is just keyboard and such.

Also, thanks for all of the responses guys :D

Also also I'll probably have to wait till summer (hours at job pick up around then) to buy a new graphics card, but believe me I will -_-

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

The power supply is cheap junk, so you'll need to replace that.  If you can afford to replace it now, then you might want to do so and not wait until you can also afford a new video card.  With the promo code, this is a pretty good deal on a decent enough power supply:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371044

I think the HAF 912 only comes with one fan, so you'll probably want another case fan or two when you stick a high powered video card in there.  But there's no need to do that until you get the new card.