Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Winter is Coming… And It’s Web-based

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

In The Free Zone today we take a look at the web-based Game of Thrones game in development and at the larger issue of non-game IPs being brought to web browsers everywhere. We've also got a look at the continued growth of the Chinese game development industry. Keep reading!

It's only natural that at any given time, certain things in the MMOG space grab my attention or arouse my curiosity more than others. In this respect, I realized long ago that I think differently from most people because I'm just as interested in market trends, the global landscape, the industry, the development process, etc. as I am in individual games. This is reflected in these topics that have been on my mind recently.

Read more of Richard Aihoshi's The Free Zone: Winter is Coming… And It’s Web-based.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748

I am thinking this world--as much as I love it--is probably not the best MMORPG setting, sadly.

Nothing would be an immersion breaker quite like having your butt ganked by a roving gang of Lannisters, all named Jaymeee or some derivitive.

And you *have* to have scheming politics in this IP. A Game of Thrones game without back biting politics would be like a Star Wars game without lightsabers, and I have a hard time seeing how some browser based, P2W game will have a good system for that.

And if it is to be made into an MMO, I really cringe when I see it is a F2P game which is browser based... I will check it out, maybe, just to give it the benefit of the doubt, but don't hold much hope for this not sucking.

• DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974

They also made a TCG on Game of Thrones, saw it in a store yesteray, I will try this MMO but I have doubts on it capturing the magic of the books or the TV series.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Not too worried about the browser based aspect as I don't require magnificent graphics if the gameplay is good, the sandbox gameplay of player made minor houses aligning themselves to the three major houses and switching sides depending on the player politics sounds great. My concern is Bigpoint and the pay to win structure, if it's like BSG then it will be a sad waste of a great IP.
  • JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

Game of Thrones could be an interesting RTS game.

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

Originally posted by Naral

I am thinking this world--as much as I love it--is probably not the best MMORPG setting, sadly.

Nothing would be an immersion breaker quite like having your butt ganked by a roving gang of Lannisters, all named Jaymeee or some derivitive.

And you *have* to have scheming politics in this IP. A Game of Thrones game without back biting politics would be like a Star Wars game without lightsabers, and I have a hard time seeing how some browser based, P2W game will have a good system for that.

And if it is to be made into an MMO, I really cringe when I see it is a F2P game which is browser based... I will check it out, maybe, just to give it the benefit of the doubt, but don't hold much hope for this not sucking.

This is a quote from a carebear...pvpers needn't pay it any mind.  For the sandbox owpvper...this is what we've been dying for!  Those liking the game, but don't want the owpvp mindset should probalby look at the new cryptic title Neverwinter.

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Whoa, browser based means low content.  This will be at best a CCC rated game.  Shame for such a popular IP.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Politics required.

Without an innovative, or at least interesting, politics system, I would feel like they didn't do their homework enough to make this IP happen.

• jonrd463jonrd463 Member UncommonPosts: 607

ahfn2110- What gives you the right to be arbiter of whether someone's opinion is valid or not? I happen to completely agree with the poster you quoted. Despite what you pvp-oriented players think, these games are still "roleplaying" games at their core, and immersion is just as important as pvp balance-- ESPECIALLY with regards to an IP that is grounded in political intrigue. You want meaningless PVP, might I suggest some multiplayer Call of Duty, or perhaps Darkfall.

"You'll never win an argument with an idiot because he is too stupid to recognize his own defeat." ~Anonymous

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Bigpoint ?

Ok. Not interested.

• BeowulfsamBeowulfsam Member UncommonPosts: 145

Why do some crappy backwater companies get the best IPs? Well, Bioware was a good company and it didn't do too good with SWTOR but if they mess it up I can only feel pity for the game that will become the first Game of Thrones MMO.

I suspect it will basically be the same as Game of Thrones RTS...godawful and lackluster instead of awsomely epic. Sigh.

L2sell intellectual property!  :D

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

Originally posted by jonrd463

ahfn2110- What gives you the right to be arbiter of whether someone's opinion is valid or not? I happen to completely agree with the poster you quoted. Despite what you pvp-oriented players think, these games are still "roleplaying" games at their core, and immersion is just as important as pvp balance-- ESPECIALLY with regards to an IP that is grounded in political intrigue. You want meaningless PVP, might I suggest some multiplayer Call of Duty, or perhaps Darkfall.

Yeah, their post read to me like the classic "If a MMO has PvP, then it's all about PvP and nothing else, and anyone who's interested in any other aspect (even if the game has them) should go play something else.

I see this in any upcoming MMO's community that I follow. A game could have a list of 10 featured gameplay systems, only one of which is PvP. That same crowd of people will come in, declare the other 9 systems non-important and tell anyone interested in them to go play something else, because that game is "all about hardcore PvP". 

This happened to a degree with DF. AV was pushing DF as being equally about PvP and PvE. Bring up PvE in the forums, though, and you were ripped a new one and informed that DF was not about PvE but all about hardcore PvP. 

It's as though if a MMO has PvP in any variety that's open-world, they move themselves in and claim ownership of it. Very bizarre. 

Best thing is just to ignore them, I guess.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Originally posted by Beowulfsam

Why do some crappy backwater companies get the best IPs?

Because, contrary to your personal biases and assumptions, it's a good company and it manages some very successful games.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

This topic has been killed to death already on the forums.

BigPoint are making it, which means they'll destroy it into oblivion. They don't know how to make proper MMOs, or even Browser Based Games (see BattleStar Galactica Online).

I'm surprised you had the stones to post this particular news (from last year, btw) Mr.Aihoshi. There isn't a single soul that I know that likes BigPoint, or even considers them a developer. If you've even tried BSG:Online you'd know what I'm talking about. Most "F2P" centric news sites are ignoring Game Of Thrones Online BECAUSE of BigPoint being the developer.

Think of it as a proverbial "black eye" on the "F2P" market.

This isn't one to look out for obviously. It won't do well whatsoever. With BigPoint in control.

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

Originally posted by Loktofeit

Originally posted by Beowulfsam

Why do some crappy backwater companies get the best IPs?

Because, contrary to your personal biases and assumptions, it's a good company and it manages some very successful games.

To which company do you speak of? It most certainly is NOT BigPoint. Go install BSG:Online and you'll know right away you were mistaken if you WERE talking about BigPoint.

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• NameWasTakenNameWasTaken Member Posts: 132

So this game will be less like Game of Thrones, and more like the opening combat sequence to The Hunger Games..[mod edit]

• umcorianumcorian Member UncommonPosts: 519

"When you play Game of Thrones, you pay to win... or you die. There is no middle ground." 

- BigPoint's Motto. 

• gilgamesh42gilgamesh42 Member Posts: 300
    haha ;D but ya bigpoint only makes pay to win games but not like perfect world style play to win they go all out like there diablo game where the only way to buy hp potions is via item mall or heavy slow grinding just to get hp potions which defeats the purpose of hp potions

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667

"What's more, I can't help but think that as those companies direct more of their attention toward this hemisphere, they will give more consideration to starting their own studios here."

True there is an XLGames America in Austin TX, maybe they are doing more than localizing Korean made games for the English speaking audience.  Why would asian companies leave behind that fine asian work ethic and come here?

"However, Middle-earth Online would have been a more accurate title for the game since it only takes place in the same world during the same time frame, which I regarded from the get-go as a far less appealing proposition"

I too felt that Westeros Online would be a better title for this game.  I'm sure everyone is looking forward to playing Lannister foot soldier #4172.  I hope there will be a "Lord Varys" class or may be a "Ros/Shae" class.  But I doubt it, I expect there to be a Melee class, a Range class, maybe a Healer.  I expect the quests to be along the lines of collect 20 Dothraki hair braids, or deliver this message to The Wall.  And someone has to play "Samwell Tarly", we all can't be Jon Snow.  Time will tell.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

This is what happens when the owners of intellectual properties don't do any real due diligence research on the gaming industry prior to signing a deal.  Here you have an IP that could make one hell of a great AAA MMORPG, but instead it will end up being a joke of a game that few people play. Yet another Movie/Tv conversion that utterly fails.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667

Originally posted by NameWasTaken

So this game will be less like Game of Thrones, and more like the opening combat sequence to The Hunger Games.... aka, The Blood Bath!

Oh, I haven't seen HG yet don't spoil it for me!

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• avaliceheartavaliceheart Member Posts: 24

Ahh medieval games... I think Winds of Winter is a terrible name, though.

• ExcessionExcession Member RarePosts: 709

Not a bad read really, but one thing really bugged me, it is A Song of Ice and Fire.....

A creative person is motivated by the desire to achieve, not the desire to beat others.

• TalinTalin Member UncommonPosts: 918

I'm less interested in the F2P aspect, and more interested in browser delivery. I have seen some pretty impressive browser-based games release over the last few years and think it would be amazing to further leverage server-side cloud computing (CPU and GPU) to minimize the client-side requirements. I am sure some of this is being done now, bur imagine a world in which a macbook air or ultrabook with an intel video card can run top-end MMOs through a browser, while sitting at half and inch thick and less than 3 pounds?

That, my friends, is the real future of mobile gaming - not the 3DS, Vita, etc.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

I have no hope for this game whatsoever.

I'm sure BigPoint will throw together a basic combat system and build it snugly around their core cash-shop game engine :D

It shouldn't take them long to get this one to market, I'm sure they'll want to launch while the current TV season is running...

• LustmordLustmord Member UncommonPosts: 1,114

What's more, I can't help but think that as those companies direct more of their attention toward this hemisphere, they will give more consideration to starting their own studios here. Whether this will happen by year end is highly speculative, but when one publisher takes this step, I wouldn't be surprised to see others follow.

Why would they do that? So they can pay a 30% corporate tax rate, competitive wages, and healthcare for their employee's? No, China will continue doing what China has always done- Keeping the money in China.