Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2 or The secret world. Please help me decide

ereyethirnereyethirn Member Posts: 79

A little background on me

I quite (i will not speak it's name but i think we all know what I'm talking about) about a year ago and ever sinse then followed swtor, I played rift for about a month after it was released, however I dont like reading quest text so i ended up playing it as an extremely grindy game which I got sick of very quickly and quit at about level 25. Then I stuck around and am ccurrently playing tor which is okay but well below expectations. I enjoy levelling in it alot more than in rift or wow because I am actually really interested in the story, story is a recent addition to crrent mmos, which I believe both the secret world and guild wars 2 are trying to do really well? I also love a really imersive fun game which you get captivated in and just want to keep playing, tor has really done this I believe (although this may have been because of the story) However I am growing sick of swtor as there isn't much to do at end game (or content altogether) and you end up doing the same thing over and over (i dont mind end game grind but tor takes end game grind to the extreme and makes it boring). I am also sick of the boring wow style combat and wish for something a bit more exciting ( although nothing too extreme, i like combos and stuff but i played dcuo for a bit and couldnt stand how intense the combos and the clicky attackness was, I like to have skill bars with abilities which i press but i would like a game with a more dynamic way in which those abilities work).

I also generally play mmos as a tank and very rarely pvp (i am far more into pve)

So what is this thread really about

I am planning on quitting tor and am currently deciding whether to go for guild wars 2 or the secret world. What I would like people to do is read the brief paragraph about me ad mmos and try to get a bit of a idea of what I want and then give advice as to which title you believe would be best suited for me. Please add a bit of reason, and it may not be why its better for me, it may just be that this game is a better bet for anyone because... 

I'm interested to see what people say and I sincerely hope some people can help me make my mind up.

Thanks

Ps

The fact that guild wars 2 is free to play adds nothing to my decision as to which title to pick as being a good game trumps money in all situations and i am not short on money. 

Comments

• VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817

GW2 is not Free to Play fyi.

Lolipops !

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

Both of course. What a silly question.

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

I look at track record of company who is providing the game ? If you do that then it will be clear who you should go with.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • ereyethirnereyethirn Member Posts: 79

i know it costs at first but its free to play as in no subscription model so its cheaper in the long term...

• YansheeYanshee Member Posts: 55

GW2 if you're seeking instant gratification, TSW if you don't mind working towards something and derive a sense of accomplishment doing so.

• ereyethirnereyethirn Member Posts: 79

Originally posted by Naqaj

I actually would exept i dont have enough time to be viable for endgame in a guild for both...

• KnoodlepotKnoodlepot Member UncommonPosts: 20

get what ever game you want. putting up a post like this will bring the haters for both games.

Probaly best advice is to get both of the games then if it's too grindy of boring just stop playing

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

You should definitely be leaning towards TSW.  GW2 probably won't interest you.

• xenptxenpt Member Posts: 430

Get GW2 and Diablo III and ur in for a treat :P 

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

Originally posted by Unlight

You should definitely be leaning towards TSW.  GW2 probably won't interest you.

Lol, good one you are kidding right ?

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • thorntonthornton Member Posts: 60

Originally posted by Voiidiin
    GW2 is not Free to Play fyi.

I thought that there is no monthly fee, just like the first GW.  You just have to buy the game itself.  To me that's free to play.

If you like puzzles with cryptic clues then try TSW when it launches, to me that's more work than fun, it really does give me a headache.   I liked the first installment of GW so when this new installment launches I'll try it out too.  I don;t care what other people think about a game, if I want to try it then I will.  If I don't then I won't.  I guess I am not weak minded that I need people to tell me what I should play, unless these individuals want to pay for what they think I should play.  Would that make me one of the sheeple? Nah, that would make you smart.

• channel84channel84 Member UncommonPosts: 585

From the feedback from PAX, i would say give TSW a few month to polish up before jumping in on it. GW2 would be my choice purely for the innovation.

• KelthiusKelthius Member UncommonPosts: 298

The only thing that has me interested in TSW is the setting and theme. I just saw the chaos magic gameplay and, honestly, I thought the combat and animations looked terrible. I don't know if I can even play a game with "MMO combat" anymore but this didn't even look like it was worth trying atm. Maybe it will get better. If it doesn't, I certainly won't be playing. I know I'll like GW2's combat, professions, and WvW. So, that's what I plan on playing.

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

Flip a coin... then when it lands cover it with your hand and see which one you hope will win.. :)

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123

Will personally try both of them as they both look interesting.

Unlike a huge number of people on these forums recently I don't see why you have to show such hate and resentment to a game simply just because you don't like it. People spend so much time complaining I actually wonder if they have time to play anything.

Anyway, if money is no object then try both and see which you prefer. They appear to be different enough to enjoy together imo.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Both games will have a free weekend before release so try both and choose the one you prefer.

TSW do have better graphics (but not art, GW2 win there), no levels and a modern horror setting.

GW2 is larger, more dynamic and a steampunk fantasy setting.

I think TSW will have the same issue as AoC since it have the same engine: Smalll zones and not enough updates. But it is a rather different game and look fun.

I have pre ordered GW2 myself and while try TSW out in the open beta. I could actually see myself playing both if they are good enough but GW2 look more like my kind of game.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Im not gonna touch GW2 its so over hyped its crazy.. at the end of the day its gonna be your average fantasy f2p game with a cash shop... I have my reasons for thinking this just cant talk about it ;)

TSW is the only themepark style game im looking forward to this year and to top it of its from a company that has made 2 of the best MMORPGs to date :) Saying that im still not 100% sure if it should pre-order or jsut wait for the game to come out adn ten decide.. Need to see more first i guess :)

• MavacarMavacar Member Posts: 328
    Yeah good luck choosing. You say you're not short on money? Get both and a lifesub on TSW, problem solved. You get bored of one, you switch to the other one
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Originally posted by Naqaj

Some are apparently constitutionally incapable of more than one title at once; hence the continual fanboy/hater wars.

It's silly, but we deal.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Originally posted by Loke666

Both games will have a free weekend before release so try both and choose the one you prefer.

TSW do have better graphics (but not art, GW2 win there), no levels and a modern horror setting.

GW2 is larger, more dynamic and a steampunk fantasy setting.

I think TSW will have the same issue as AoC since it have the same engine: Smalll zones and not enough updates. But it is a rather different game and look fun.

I have pre ordered GW2 myself and while try TSW out in the open beta. I could actually see myself playing both if they are good enough but GW2 look more like my kind of game.

I was going to say something like this. I'd wait until both games are no longer under NDA when you can clearly see what you are getting. I am also watching both games, but I will buy neither until all my own questions have been answered to my satisfaction.

• SybnalSybnal Member Posts: 261

Don't think you will have to decide between the two.

Well, if TSW makes their release date that is. It's Funcom so it's a pretty big IF.

• wrightstufwrightstuf Member UncommonPosts: 659

Gw2 and Secret World are the 2 games i'm most looking foward to. Like you, money isnt a problem so i pre purchased both and will play both. At that point, i'll be paying 15 a month to play 2 mmos. Later on down the road, i'll ditch whichever isnt cutting it. i tend to really get into an mmo, and would find it hard to devote time to 2 mmos.

Points to consider...

1) you pay for the box upfont with both games. gw2 is 0 a month after that.TSW is 15

2) TSW has 3 factions, gw2 is factionless. This may or may not affect how PvP plays out.

3) GW2 is the same tired (IMO) fantasy themed based. TSW is trying to bring something unique

4) Not much is known about lore or story of either game. TSW seems to have a more compelling potential for story though (IMO)

5) In PvE, TSW is more of a thinkiing mans game. Some quests will require puzzle solving. Gw2 is find the dynamic events, then jump in and kill stuff

6) Both games have completely different approaches to skills and progression. I'm not going to get into it here. you should research it yourself

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

People chose which MMO to play?   image

I play all major titles, so I'll be buying GW2, TSW, Tera and who knows what else.

One day I might actually get lucky and find one I like for more than 3 months. image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• wrightstufwrightstuf Member UncommonPosts: 659

Dont buy into the "Funcom sucks" nonsense. Funcom has made fun, compelling mmo titles that have stood the test of time.

Try either game with an unbiased point of view and take it for face value and ask yourself :

"is it fun and do i want to keep playing"

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

TERA now.

GW2 later.

TSW a year from now, to give Funcom time to work the suck out of it.

Archeage - 2 years from now.

Joined - July 2004