Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EA/Bioware has no choice

Comments

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,865

Its not like Ranked WZs were going to be anything special until cross server ques hit, the longer they wait the better I would say. Ideally they should not come until cross server ques are available. This change will cause alot less damage then the amount of damage that would of been caused had the Ranked WZs come in with the patch.

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

Ugh, kids these days...

If you resubscribed for a specific feature before that feature even made it to the live servers, you aren't owed a thing. That is your fault, and only your fault. Now if they'd put it on the live server, but later removed it with a hotfix or something, you might get a bit more sympathy. As it is you come off like an incredibly whiny, spoiled brat throwing a temper tantrum.

EAware has handled this game pretty badly I agree, but blaming them for this is just silly.

• BoatsmateBoatsmate Member Posts: 208

Originally posted by Senden

Really who cares about ranked pvp in this game? The pvp game mechanics are absolute garbage and not fit for competitive purpose. If you want ranked competitive pvp just go back to the game they copied it from where it's done far far far better. Now brb off to get stunlocked to death then watch as resolve pops as I respawn for the millionth time!

This pretty well sums things up. They really need to address ranged stuns in this game. I had a toon that got jumped by a group in pvp and just hung in the air so long birds were nesting on him.

Ballerinas are always on their toes. Why don't they just get taller ballerinas?

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

I would not be so harsh on them in this case. Developing new features can always lead to unforssen problems. That's sad, but that's how it is with software. It's just one feature, and PVP is imvpo not so high on the list for many players, at least I think so. I guess it depends how fast it is coming, but I would not make a drama out of a delay a few weeks.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

Originally posted by hh33

Like the thread title says, EA/Bioware has no choice but to refund any monies spent by customers who resubbed or extended within the last 1-10 (you pick) days.

... and millions of gamers are going to see it that way as well.

Just to entertain myself...

EA said they had 1.7 million subscribers for the game at one point.   Yet you seem to have implied that "millions" of gamers have resubbed or extended in the last 10 days.

Just sayin'....

• Twisted77Twisted77 Member UncommonPosts: 89
    Actually, there are players claiming that they have received refunds. Dont know if true.
  • NeoZcar2NeoZcar2 Member Posts: 136

I just have one thing to say. Ranked Warzones were advertised in a commercial. That makes this false advertising and that is a criminal action. Doesnt matter what was or was not said in a PTS patch note. If you advertise something in a marketing commercial and people purchase or resubscribe to the game based on said commercial then that is false advertising and teh company is required to reimburse purchases or face a class action lawsuit.

Anyone who has purchased the game or resubbed since the 1.2 commercial began to run and feels that they were screwed with a false advertising bait and switch has reasonable cause for complaint.

• DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974

This is another reason I wouldnt touch a game by this company with a barge pole drenched in disinfectant.

• Originally posted by Bardus

Actually it has happen before but in a much larger scale. NGE for SWG and yep they had to do some refunds for it.

They did not refund subs though. They only refunded people who bought Trials of Obi-Wan expansion if they were no longer interested in the expansion or content. Companies don't refund game time though due to the clause of "gameplay may change during play"

• djmtottdjmtott Member Posts: 177

Originally posted by NeoZcar2

I just have one thing to say. Ranked Warzones were advertised in a commercial. That makes this false advertising and that is a criminal action. Doesnt matter what was or was not said in a PTS patch note. If you advertise something in a marketing commercial and people purchase or resubscribe to the game based on said commercial then that is false advertising and teh company is required to reimburse purchases or face a class action lawsuit.

Anyone who has purchased the game or resubbed since the 1.2 commercial began to run and feels that they were screwed with a false advertising bait and switch has reasonable cause for complaint.

Good to know we have a lawyer around here!

EA/Bioware has every legal protection in this case. When you resubscribe there's no indication why you did, so there's no way you can prove you resubscribed for a certain feature. They also have every right to delay or eliminate anything they wish, even if they made a commercial about it and put it on TV (which it was only online in the first place). The point is, future content is not guaranteed. Don't pay for anything until it actually happens.

• Sora2810Sora2810 Member Posts: 567

Negative, 1.2 trailer != commercial. That's a totally different story. If it was a commercial, they would bat that it's coming soon rather than now.

Played - M59, EQOA, EQ, EQ2, PS, SWG[Favorite], DAoC, UO, RS, MXO, CoH/CoV, TR, FFXI, FoM, WoW, Eve, Rift, SWTOR, TSW.
    Playing - PS2, AoW, GW2

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Originally posted by djmtott

Good to know we have a lawyer around here!

EA/Bioware has every legal protection in this case. When you resubscribe there's no indication why you did, so there's no way you can prove you resubscribed for a certain feature. They also have every right to delay or eliminate anything they wish, even if they made a commercial about it and put it on TV (which it was only online in the first place). The point is, future content is not guaranteed. Don't pay for anything until it actually happens.

Unless that disclaimer appears *in* the commercial, it has no bearing.  Anyone who resubbed can make a claim that they did so based on the commercial, which turns out to be innaccurate.  I doubt anyone will go through the hassle of trying to recover it though.  It's hardly worth the time or effort.  That's why EA/BW can get away with it.  The only realistic recourse people have is to cancel and stop dealing with those companies.

• karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904

EAMythicware are going from one trainwreck to the next by their own accord, its incredibly funny and not in my wildest dreams had I hoped they would screw up this hard. Tis a good day for sandbox gaming.

• YansheeYanshee Member Posts: 55

LMFAO.............................

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    I am really struggling to contribute any mockery, I just can't outdo what Bioware are doing themselves. I just can't.
  • WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Originally posted by karmath

EAMythicware are going from one trainwreck to the next by their own accord, its incredibly funny and not in my wildest dreams had I hoped they would screw up this hard. Tis a good day for sandbox gaming.

Yep

And Tortanic strikes again.

• BunksBunks Member Posts: 960

Originally posted by Wicoa

Originally posted by karmath

Yep

And Tortanic strikes again.

Oh god, and think on Sat the 14th is the 100th anniversary of the Titanic's sinking. Youtube will be overrun.

• Hopscotch73Hopscotch73 Member UncommonPosts: 971

I just remember 1.1 being overshadowed by the Ilum mess, and now when they hold a feature back because it's not working the way they want, 1.2 is now also overshadowed by a PvP issue.

People said then that the Ilum changes shouldn't have gone live, and they were right. But somehow this time they should send ranked warzones live even if they're not working properly...? Man, I would so hate to be a game developer. Can't win for losing.

Can you imagine the screaming if they sent the ranked wzs live and the ranking system didn't work properly? How many more demands would there be for refunds? How much ballyhoo would there be all over the internet? PvP-ers make the most noise of any player group, they always have.

Yeah, they messed up by pulling them at the 11th hour, but adding a feature that's not working properly at this stage would do a lot more damage than working on it a bit longer and adding it once they're sure of it.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

Originally posted by Larsjex

Okay, now I have to post something...

If you (or anybody else) resubbed for a feature that was in PTS patch notes, then it really, really is your own fault. PTS patch notes says they can be changed at any time, same as in any MMO, same as in any game. If you're excited about a TEST CENTER patch notes feature, you should have waited to resub when the patch is released, to ensure you get what you want from it.

I don't think they should refund anything, it is -Entirely- your own fault.

This.I know of no one in game that said "I think I'll resub for ranked warzones." Much ado about nothing, but par for the course around here.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

I don't think BW need to refund and I don't think people need to resub.
  • ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

I am a SWTOR supporter for the most part. But, this latest PvP debacle has me upset. I don't even PvP much, but the fact that Bio/EA lures people in with promised content and backs out at the last minute, is just wrong on all counts.

I think I will start looking for something else to play now. Aion 3.0 or Rift is sounding good to me at the moment.

• HurvartHurvart Member Posts: 565

Originally posted by Hopscotch73

I just remember 1.1 being overshadowed by the Ilum mess, and now when they hold a feature back because it's not working the way they want, 1.2 is now also overshadowed by a PvP issue.

People said then that the Ilum changes shouldn't have gone live, and they were right. But somehow this time they should send ranked warzones live even if they're not working properly...? Man, I would so hate to be a game developer. Can't win for losing.

Can you imagine the screaming if they sent the ranked wzs live and the ranking system didn't work properly? How many more demands would there be for refunds? How much ballyhoo would there be all over the internet? PvP-ers make the most noise of any player group, they always have.

Yeah, they messed up by pulling them at the 11th hour, but adding a feature that's not working properly at this stage would do a lot more damage than working on it a bit longer and adding it once they're sure of it.

The player wants good service and a product that is working as advertized. Of course the customer will be unhappy if they fail to release/include a promised feature. If it is released broken and not really working it will be the same reactions. They cant win that way. Its a fail... Only way to get positive reactions and satisfied players is to give them exactly what they promised to give them. Or more... If they are incompetent and cant get things done properly and in time players will recognize that. There is no way that team can avoid the screaming and complaining.

Originally posted by Hurvart

Originally posted by Hopscotch73

The player wants good service and a product that is working as advertized. Of course the customer will be unhappy if they fail to release/include a promised feature. If it is released broken and not really working it will be the same reactions. They cant win that way. Its a fail... Only way to get positive reactions and satisfied players is to give them exactly what they promised to give them. Or more... If they are incompetent and cant get things done properly and in time players will recognize that. There is no way that team can avoid the screaming and complaining.

Or if a week or two ago they said, "We are not sure if ranked warzones will be ready with the rest of the patch, we are trying our best but we don't want to to hold up the rest of 1.2 so they might be released a little later"
  • BunksBunks Member Posts: 960

The PR EA and BW have of late, makes one think they can't possibly even be concerned with the PC market anymore.

Last weeks poo awards, the ME3 fiasco, now the BBB cited them with false advertisment over ME3, lets not forget the hiring of fake Christian protesters way back in 09. Then you have a bait and switch like this? I'm not piling on here, but either EA/BW has a serious ethics problem or they already know this is an empty well they won't be drilling in the future.

I seriously doubt EA will be making PC games 12 months from now. They have already said it publicly that PC gaming is a dying market. I just didnt think they expect it to be dead this quick for them.

• KaocanKaocan Member UncommonPosts: 1,270

I'm confused on the OPs standing. You mean if I was someone who dropped my sub months ago because I was unhappy with the content in the game, and then for some stupid reason I resubbed BEFORE 1.2 came out hoping that for some reason the content would have changed BEFORE 1.2 came out, that I should get a refund now? No, that can't be right...oh ok I see what you're saying now. You think that since I couldnt' wait the extra 1-10 days until 1.2 comes out, that EA/BW should refund my  money because they changed thier mind on content PRIOR to putting the patch out with someting bad in it. Hmm...no no that can't be right either. I mean seriously, what kind of an idiot cancels thier sub because they hate the game, then refuses to wait until the patch is live to resub? NO, they shouldn't refund you shit for being a dumb ass. Next time learn to have some patience and wait until that important patch goes live before you resub to a game you already decided wasn't worth your monthly fee anyway. 

Sorry, thats just my opinion there. 

(DISCLAIMER - The use of the word YOU in the above post is not directed at any one person in particular, but towards those who fall into the category itself - there is no personal attack here, neither intentional nor implied.)