Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gamebreaker and TERA

Comments

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

Originally posted by n3v3rriv3r

Anyone knows what they have against TERA?. I just can't understand why all the hate.

Okay maybe it is not the best game but clearly it is not the worst. At this site they just take turns to defame it.

http://www.gamebreaker.tv/mmorpg/tera-fic-or-tera-ble/

The Gamebreaker guys are basically a group of your more ignorant forum-goers, doing the same thing, only on camera. For some reason, there are people who think something is somehow more legitimate if it's done on camera. It's not. It's still their opinion, and they're still just as capable of being full of it, or of themselves, as the case may be.

I've seen some of their other videos and it's almost impressive how much out of their way they go to bash something they don't like. For FFXIV, they ragged on it for things that had been addressed months before they recorded the video. I remember Phony talking about stuff that was true when he tried it, but had long since been resolved. Yet he ragged on it like it was still current.

It was pretty obvious not a single one of them had taken any time prior to making that episode to get up to speed on what changes had taken place and what the game was like at that time. Would have taken too much effort, I suppose. Guess, they were far more interested in bashing it in all their giddy ignorance.

Also, like typical forum-goers, when it comes to games they do like, they'll either ignore issues altogether, or make apologist rationalizations for them, even though they'd bash any other game with those same issues if they didn't like it.

I take everything they say with half a grain of salt, if even that much. They're not even half as clever as they seem to think they are, and the way they sit there and impress each other with how clever they can be about topics they clearly know nothing about makes them even less so.

• AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915

TERA! TERA! TERA!

I will be playing TERA Online. But if it follows the trend like most of the other AAA or hyped up P2P theme park MMORPG's (especially post 2005) where you have a mass exodus before the 6 month mark (usually), then chances are I will leave as well. I don't enjoy playing and paying for an MMORPG with a monthly subscription if it feels (most of the time) like a single player game.

The last time NA folks embraced a Korean MMORPG was Lineage II (long term) and that came out in 2004. Time will tell.

• BeastnBeastn Member UncommonPosts: 111

His biggest complaint it seems is that this game follows the same “formula” as WoW, Rift, and LOTRO, and that its “Selling point” is its action combat… That he admits he’s “Not very good at”. So of course he isn't going to like it. Well Flame me all you want (I’m pretty sure this is my first post) but I like the “WoW” formula, and the action combat intrigues me. I have not had a chance to play it yet but I’m in the April 20-23 Beta so I’m giving it a shot. I’m enjoying Rift atm, but I’m open to new games. Heck I even Pre Purchased GW2 yesterday.

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

So many people here who completely missed the point of the article. Here's a hint, the headline is misleading, it's not just about Tera. 

Replace Tera with the title of pretty much any MMO that came out in the last 6 years, and you might get the idea.

• n3v3rriv3rn3v3rriv3r Member UncommonPosts: 496

Originally posted by Naqaj

So many people here who completely missed the point of the article. Here's a hint, the headline is misleading, it's not just about Tera. 

Replace Tera with the title of pretty much any MMO that came out in the last 6 years, and you might get the idea.

Yep ... only... it is about a specific game.

I agree with you completely and this is indirectly why I created this thread.

• Nadya3Nadya3 Member Posts: 348

Originally posted by Beastn

His biggest complaint it seems is that this game follows the same “formula” as WoW, Rift, and LOTRO, and that its “Selling point” is its action combat… That he admits he’s “Not very good at”. So of course he isn't going to like it. Well Flame me all you want (I’m pretty sure this is my first post) but I like the “WoW” formula, and the action combat intrigues me. I have not had a chance to play it yet but I’m in the April 20-23 Beta so I’m giving it a shot. I’m enjoying Rift atm, but I’m open to new games. Heck I even Pre Purchased GW2 yesterday.

i like the wow formula as well. 

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Anyone knows what they have against TERA?. I just can't understand why all the hate.

Okay maybe it is not the best game but clearly it is not the worst. At this site they just take turns to defame it.

He expressed his views in a clear and thoughtful matter exactly why he does not like TERA. If you dont understand it I would say it is more an issue you have rather than the author.

It does not mean that you have to not like TERA but I dont think that is what the article says either.

• VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817

Hmm i for one think its better to have reviewers state how they feel about a game and not be wishy washy because they fear offending a publisher/developer. 

While i do not have any kind of grudge against TERA, i do believe in what the guys at Gamebreaker have said about it and will not be purchasing it because of it.

Lolipops !

• BigBadWolfeBigBadWolfe Member Posts: 143
    People keep saying that Gamebreaker has a right to their opinions about a game. But that's not true. Gamebreaker is a major site of MMO information, so they need to do their jobs and stick to the FACTS. Opinions are for forums, not paid journalists.

I'm sorry that they don't like Tera but the main broadcaster admitted himself he didn't play the game past the starter zone. Also they were accusing Tera of missing features like voice acting which is false. There is at least 4 fully animated, voice acted cutscenes between level 1-11 that they completely ignored.

The only thing game breaker did right was that they openly admitted they barely invested any time in the game past the first couple of hours, and so their "professional journalist analysis" of the game is null any void to anybody with common sense.

Originally posted by Voiidiin

Hmm i for one think its better to have reviewers state how they feel about a game and not be wishy washy because they fear offending a publisher/developer. 

While i do not have any kind of grudge against TERA, i do believe in what the guys at Gamebreaker have said about it and will not be purchasing it because of it.

Lets get something clear once and for all. I am not talking about the author of the article but about the site as a whole which the autor is part of.

this is not the first article about Tera and this is not the first autor to write his negative "personal" opinion of Tera at this site

People keep saying that Gamebreaker has a right to their opinions about a game. But that's not true. Gamebreaker is a major site of MMO information, so they need to do their jobs and stick to the FACTS. Opinions are for forums, not paid journalists.

I'm sorry that they don't like Tera but the main broadcaster admitted himself he didn't play the game past the starter zone. Also they were accusing Tera of missing features like voice acting which is false. There is at least 4 fully animated, voice acted cutscenes between level 1-11 that they completely ignored.

The only thing game breaker did right was that they openly admitted they barely invested any time in the game past the first couple of hours, and so their "professional journalist analysis" of the game is null any void to anybody with common sense.

Oh I should also add that the Gamebreaker host also noted that he had previously worked for Fox News which should speak Volumes about his journalistic style.

Originally posted by Voiidiin

it seems you most certaintly would believe anything, anyone in front of a camera .   if they tell  you , that the Fairy god mother lives next door right next to snow white, you probably would believe them too. 

no wonder some people make a living out of scamming gulliable, easy trusting individuals, who are too afraid to find out for themselves.     

learn to draw your own conclusions from self experience,  and not from what someone else tells you.  specially people who don't even share your same interest or goals in gaming.

• channel84channel84 Member UncommonPosts: 585

Frankly i find tera to be very nice and refreshing, i mean come on, lets not kid ourself here, combat is what we mostly do in MMO and tera have done a wonderful job in it. The only reason i'm not getting it is because of latency issue to SEA country. I'm not saying the latency to tera server is worse than WoW or whatever, it's just that tera combat mechanic demand a smoother latency to fully enjoy it. If i'm in EU or NA, i'll sub it in a heartbeat.

Lets get something clear once and for all. I am not talking about the author of the article but about the site as a whole which the autor is part of.

this is not the first article about Tera and this is not the first autor to write his negative "personal" opinion of Tera at this site

Problem is, the site as a whole says nothing. Every opinion you read is a personal one, on any game site.. What matters is if it is justified or not. Did the author form this opinion by actually trying the game, or is he just pulling stuff out of thin air.

Two gamebreaker authors tried Tera and weren't too impressed by it. One author seemed to like it. All 3 of them gave pretty detailed accounts of why they got to their opinions.

As a reader, you can't ask for much more.

Originally posted by channel84

Frankly i find tera to be very nice and refreshing, i mean come on, lets not kid ourself here, combat is what we mostly do in MMO and tera have done a wonderful job in it. The only reason i'm not getting it is because of latency issue to SEA country. I'm not saying the latency to tera server is worse than WoW or whatever, it's just that tera combat mechanic demand a smoother latency to fully enjoy it. If i'm in EU or NA, i'll sub it in a heartbeat.

we all have our own agenda when it comes to gaming.  it is normal, some people dislike Tera, others Love it.  it is certaintly a game, that you can iether love or Hate,  with very fews in between.

i love the combat in Tera.  but to me personally i simply Adore the Open world, and diversity of gorgeous enviroments.  i love exploring,  Details are very important to me when i play a MMO.   in Tera even the shoes you wear are highly detailed!p 

Problem is, the site as a whole says nothing. Every opinion you read is a personal one, on any game site.. What matters is if it is justified or not. Did the author form this opinion by actually trying the game, or is he just pulling stuff out of thin air.

Two gamebreaker authors tried Tera and weren't too impressed by it. One author seemed to like it. All 3 of them gave pretty detailed accounts of why they got to their opinions.

As a reader, you can't ask for much more.

The only thing I can reply to this post is: LOL image.

p.s. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Editing

As a player interested in playing Tera past level 11 they leave a LOT to be desired. One of the reviewers was at least smart enough to admit that he didn't play the game enough to make a valid judgement. But don't let facts get into the way of writing Tera-ble on a box and tossing it at someone.

Gamebreaker TV is a joke.

Just out of curiosity, who do you think runs gamebreaker? Who would that supposed editor be, and what would he gain from bad-mouthing TERA?

Originally posted by BigBadWolfe

Gamebreaker TV made a joke.

You almost got it.

One valid criticism of gamebreaker would be that their puns are terrible.

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

Originally posted by channel84

<>, i mean come on, lets not kid ourself here, combat is what we mostly do in MMO <>

Yessss. I agree man.

TERA is hanging its “hopes and dreams” on its combat system as much as the other themepark MMOs are. What am I doing for the most part, by faaar, while in-game? Combat. No matter if it’s Lol of the Rings, Rift, Star Wars: the Cinematic Republic, I’m basically killing shit.

I'm looking toward a sandbox MMO in the future for non-combat goodness. And I mean truly, no killing, like. at. all. 

• VaultarVaultar Member Posts: 339

Wow Gamebreaker thinks like me <3.

In all seriousness though, they make really good points. TERA IS mainly about combat and their political system which I myself am not interested at at all pretty much exactly for the reason stated in this link. Besides these two things, TERA plays out just like about any other mmorpg that has been released in the past in terms of questing which ofc amounts to the majority of the pve content.

It is not about the hate really. It is just that TERA doesn't have enough in it save for the combat system to really distinguish itself among the other mmorpgs out there and therefore, at least according to Gamebreaker's standards it seems, does not deserve its own seperate section.

As you can see from the games they are following, these game are all high quality in their respective genres. GW2 is not released but is up there because I guess it is a very interesting mmorpg to follow (with the way it is trying to distinguish itself and break the mold) while looking very promising.

Bottom line is, TERA simply doesn't meet Gamebreaker's standards to be up there and have its own section.

Looking forward to EQL and EQN.

Just out of curiosity, who do you think runs gamebreaker? Who would that supposed editor be, and what would he gain from bad-mouthing TERA?

Now, these my friend are real questions - but in my op I put they and not he.

.. oh and just another thing, maybe the problem is the opposite: that he is not gaining something from giving a fair review. Just saying as a speculation image

to shase people away from Tera?,  Tera has been getting constant bashing and trolling from day one.  simply because the game was made by  Koreans .

there is plenty of gullible people who believe anything you tell them, as long you are in front of a camera.   tell them you are Jesus who came to rescue them, and need their Credit cards info to end with world famine, and they will give you all their live savings too.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

Who cares is someone doesn't play the game because they read a review by some guy that didn't get out of the starter area and then trashed the game.

Would they have ever been anything but a +1 if they did play ?

This discussion has been closed.