Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Dark Age of Camelot: Wayback Wednesday with DAoC Devs

2»

Comments

• smellyfeetsmellyfeet Tequesta, FLPosts: 4Member

It's wonderful that questions can be asked of the BioWare-Mythic DAoC folks.  One thing I would love to find out is exactly what can the DAoC subscribers do to influence EA/BioWare-Mythic's management to spend the money on upgrading to Game Bryo 3.0 or the new 4.0.  In the day of multi-core smartphones, it's painful to think that DAoC client only runs on a single core.  I could easliy understand it back in 2001, but come on, even the netbooks are dual core.  WAR has the updated Game Bryo so it's client is using all cores, but DAoC only uses one and that just plain hurts user experience.   Yes, it's a significant investment, but it will bring a second chance to a 10 year old game that subscribers want.

• GoresonGoreson GlasgowPosts: 122Member

Originally posted by gilgamesh42

cool game i wonder if it would do well as f2p with a sub option

Well, I'd love to say yes but somehow I doubt it...

First up would be the 'well aged' factor: loads of kiddies would come in expecting this huge miracle game us old farts (was there in EU closed beta!) are talking about as the best game ever, and then pack up again straightaway after seeing the 'dated' graphics...

Second would be the question how to actually structure a not-all-F2P setup: should certain expansions only be available to subscribers? Should they go with a lvl cap for non-subscribers?

Or maybe they should leave the full game as F2P and add an item shop/microtransactions?

I would assume though that BW (or rather EA) would potentially create a F2P version of DAoC, much like WoH vs WAR... but on the other hand they would have to find ways to make that F2PDAoC different from WoH... which may be really hard...

There is obviously always the option to try and find sponsoring for running the game for free... *shrug*

• IntrinsicIntrinsic HorshamPosts: 60Member

Originally posted by smellyfeet

It's wonderful that questions can be asked of the BioWare-Mythic DAoC folks.  One thing I would love to find out is exactly what can the DAoC subscribers do to influence EA/BioWare-Mythic's management to spend the money on upgrading to Game Bryo 3.0 or the new 4.0.  In the day of multi-core smartphones, it's painful to think that DAoC client only runs on a single core.  I could easliy understand it back in 2001, but come on, even the netbooks are dual core.  WAR has the updated Game Bryo so it's client is using all cores, but DAoC only uses one and that just plain hurts user experience.   Yes, it's a significant investment, but it will bring a second chance to a 10 year old game that subscribers want.

Absolutely pointless to update this to the latest engine. It ran smooth on my AMD Athlon XP 1333 with 1 gig of ram and i think a geforce 256...even the crappiest of computers today can run it fine.

• PainlezzPainlezz Laguna Hills, CAPosts: 616Member Uncommon

Needs improved DEFAULT interfance.  Expecting players to go find/download custom UI's to bring the game closer to modern standards is just bad.

I have fond memories of DAOC, however the game is just too old anymore.  =(

• darkheart84darkheart84 Pharr, TXPosts: 83Member

This is absolutely one of the best games ever made...even now, many years later, I often find myself thinking back with nostalgia to how amazing it was to explore. Best memory has got to be when me and some buddies made a campfire in the open dark tundra and spent the night battling thieves.

Or when I was traveling the dark forest and an ogre showed up from out of nowhere, way above my level and I had to hide behind a tree. Same as the first time I saw that large lizard-dragon thing and crawled between its legs.

RvR was also amazing up till level 24 (or 21 not sure), very memorable aoe zapping on battering rams.

Truly legendary, and to be honest I think it is best left like that, a beautiful memory. I don't play these mmorpg games anymore but I just had to say it. When I think back to reflect on what was so good about MMO's, I picture this game.

Would be quite nice seeing a sequel though, might actually break my abstenance from mmorpgs. Then again, sequels usually do not live up to their former selves.

• ChannceChannce Sacramento, CAPosts: 570Member

i cant believe the host was involved in a battle that was won, even if they did out number the enemy 3:1

When I said i had "time", i meant virtual time, i got no RL "time" for you.

• Vulgar-ywainVulgar-ywain PENSACOLA, FLPosts: 1Member

OK heres the plan!  Make the game Free to Play!  But, in order to generate revenue, get the Keeps to be corporately sponsored.  "OK OK Everyone we have to  defend Dun CItibank!"   This is Genous Right????

• GrakulenGrakulen Staff Writer St. Charles, MOPosts: 460MMORPG.COM Staff Uncommon
    Originally posted by Vulgar-ywain

OK heres the plan!  Make the game Free to Play!  But, in order to generate revenue, get the Keeps to be corporately sponsored.  "OK OK Everyone we have to  defend Dun CItibank!"   This is Genous Right????

Yes!

2»