Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR biggest flop or greatest success in gaming?

Comments

• heavyhebrewheavyhebrew Member Posts: 309

As long as people playing it are having fun AND the company is making money on it (I still hate you EA) then it is a success.

How much a success? Well, that is relative.

TRUST THE COMPUTER! THE COMPUTER IS YOUR FRIEND!

Stay Alert! Trust No One! Keep Your Laser Handy!

Yellow Clearance Black Box Blues!

• CingeCinge Member Posts: 120

neither?

People are still playing it and having fun. That's all that matters. Casuals have a ton to do and I know at least 4-5 in a group of friends who haven't even gotten past level 40 on any character.

i still laugh at people that say things like "co-op" rpg or not a MMO. Sorry if WoW is a MMO, so is swtor.

• NeoZcar2NeoZcar2 Member Posts: 136

I am thinking it has to be considered the biggest Flop ever. They are still so far from recovering the cost of the game and with the number of subs they are hemmoraging I dont see how they ever will recover the cost. Profit wise they are in the negative, and that means failure. No matter what Obama tells you adding more debt to a system then you are recovering cannot add up to total recovery. Bioware/EA's total debt + continued cost for development and management is higher then the money they are bringing in from sales and subs.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306

Somewhere in the middle, perhaps?

Ya, I'm going with that one rather than try to hang out at the extremist fringes.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

I thought it was above average. It's not greatest success or biggest flop. I think financially, it's one of the greatest successes.

To me it's just ok. Pretty much WoW without the features, with a bit better graphics and a hell of a lot of mediocre story telling.

• CingeCinge Member Posts: 120

Originally posted by NeoZcar2

I am thinking it has to be considered the biggest Flop ever. They are still so far from recovering the cost of the game and with the number of subs they are hemmoraging I dont see how they ever will recover the cost. Profit wise they are in teh negative, and they means failure.

So you work for EA/BW and know exactly how much revenue they have gained and how much expenses they have?

Sorry your arm-chair business degree doesn't count.

Originally posted by Cinge

Originally posted by NeoZcar2

I am thinking it has to be considered the biggest Flop ever. They are still so far from recovering the cost of the game and with the number of subs they are hemmoraging I dont see how they ever will recover the cost. Profit wise they are in teh negative, and they means failure.

So you work for EA/BW and know exactly how much revenue they have gained and how much expenses they have?

Sorry your arm-chair business degree doesn't count.

No but they do release cost and sales revenue data to company share holders. And latest reports from the company stated that Bioware/EA product SW:TOR  was still in the negative due to, "Lower then expected box sales, and lower then expected subscription retention." 

• karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904

Originally posted by colddog04

I thought it was above average. It's not greatest success or biggest flop. I think financially, it's one of the greatest successes.

To me it's just ok. Pretty much WoW without the features, with a bit better graphics and a hell of a lot of mediocre story telling.

Er financially successful? It only managed to rake in around 1.7 million users and cost hundreds of millions to deploy. Rift, Aion, WAR and AOC had that amount of subscribers after launch and most would not of had a 1/8 of that budget.

A Funcom dev was quoted (cant remeber what article, google it) that SWTORS marketing budget was substantially bigger than thier entire budget, including development, marketing, servers, customer service and shippping.

SWTOR for the money they spent is a massive failure.

• wrightstufwrightstuf Member UncommonPosts: 659

Define "biggest flop" or "greatest success"

All i see here is the degree of like or dislike as the measure of success. I'm sure there are people who consider SWTOR the best game they've ever played and therefore consider it the greatest success.

To say its not an MMO is silly and you just dont know what defines one

Massive...yes it is, Multiplayer...yes it is, Online...yes it is

It has zones you can run around in, it has quests, it has crafting, it has progression, it has an endgame, it has pve, it has pvp. How is not an mmo? i guess that is defined the same way "flop" or "success" is being defined.

Originally posted by karmath

Er financially successful? It only managed to rake in around 1.7 million users and cost hundreds of millions to deploy. Rift, Aion, WAR and AOC had that amount of subscribers after launch and most would not of had a 1/8 of that budget.

A Funcom dev was quoted (cant remeber what article, google it) that SWTORS marketing budget was substantially bigger than thier entire budget, including development, marketing, servers, customer service and shippping.

A funcom dev was also quoted that funcom was going after a core set of players right from the start. Their marketing strategy is completely different

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Originally posted by karmath

Maybe if you only look at the money spent/release day sales. But really, they are also holding onto more consumers than those other games you mention. This leads me to believe they not only already are a huge financial success, but they will continue to be one.

But yeah, the budget spent on the game to day one sales was probably not the best, but it was probably not the worst either.

• cybersurfrcybersurfr Member UncommonPosts: 168

What's with the extremes? Neither.

• Saxx0nSaxx0n PR/Brand Manager BitBox Ltd.Member UncommonPosts: 999
  • DredphyreDredphyre Member Posts: 601

Why does it have to be either extremes? That strikes me as a rather juvenile outlook, you know back when you were a teenager, and thought every little thing in life has immense importance, and every little event you experienced was a life or death occurance.

Originally posted by Saxx0n

I get it ...swtor was a sandal!

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

YAWN!   I dont even comment anymore I just laugh, well back to playing SWTOR

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018

Not the greatest success because it failed the hardcore raiders quite badly on launch - it may catch up over time if they are aggressive about content creation.

Not the biggest failure either, while it has it's issues it still remains one of the most polished & smooth launches yet so far in the genre.

I think it got pushed out the door too early as is typical of anything EA gets involved with, I am expecting TSW to have teething trouble for exactly the same reasons.

So yeah, F*** you EA!

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Originally posted by Torgrim

For me SWTOR is not even a MMO it's so many instances and to much solo, and still it's labled as a MMORPG.

So as a MMORPG it fail really badly, as a SIngleplayer game with a monthly sub it fails even more if they took out the monthly sub like GW i would rate it much better,, I really dont like milking cows.

Really not happy with how SWTOR turned out. Seeing some of the rookie mistakes they pulled with this new patch isn't helping to improve my outlook on their game, except to further cement my relief at not having bought it.

That said, I say it is still a bit early to tell exactly how this game came out financially. Let's have this discussion again around Septembre.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• Saxx0nSaxx0n PR/Brand Manager BitBox Ltd.Member UncommonPosts: 999

Originally posted by wrightstuf

Originally posted by Saxx0n

I get it ...swtor was a sandal!

No, it.s new high lvl raid drop

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

It wasn't the biggest in neither a positive nor negative way.  It was what most people expected..... average.

• ValmarillValmarill Member Posts: 21

Most of these answers are highly subjective opinions. The game had a succesful launch. Does that make it a succesful game? many people i know still play it even though I left after a couple of months. 

I personally, was hoping for more. Aside from feeling like I was in a very small sandbox, I felt like I had to do things in order and was essentially locked into a one way ticket. I didn't care for the taxi rides over vast areas that I could never explore in Coruscant and I was not a fan of 4 person maximum teams and poor cosmetics. Since then they have addressed cosmetics and have improved a few things. (My list is a lot longer but I won't bore everyone with it since i have posted this stuff in other threads)

I may try it again in a year or two, it generally takes time for designers to address things. It's one reason I always go back to LoTRO, because it's a complete game and they continually work to improve it. 

So, essentially SWToR is both a success and a failure. This is just my opinion though. 

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739

I dont see how it can be called a flop....SWTOR has over 1.7 million subs (and thats not with the padded asian numbers like alot of other games)......IT may not be what some people wanted it to be, but I'd say its a success to this point anyway.

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,789

Originally posted by Tardcore

Originally posted by Torgrim

For me SWTOR is not even a MMO it's so many instances and to much solo, and still it's labled as a MMORPG.

So as a MMORPG it fail really badly, as a SIngleplayer game with a monthly sub it fails even more if they took out the monthly sub like GW i would rate it much better,, I really dont like milking cows.

Really not happy with how SWTOR turned out. Seeing some of the rookie mistakes they pulled with this new patch isn't helping to improve my outlook on their game, except to further cement my relief at not having bought it.

That said, I say it is still a bit early to tell exactly how this game came out financially. Let's have this discussion again around Septembre.

Then how would you know at which you are speaking. Seems you have to have a little first hand experience before you can make any of those statements. Too many people make or state opinion out of opinion only without experience to back it up (or facts for that matter).

In my case, I have played early beta onward. I think that SWTOR is headed in the right direction. Patch 1.2 is not the patch to end all patches but it brings a lot of GOOD to the game. Examples (and just a few listed), Unified gear coloring; Legacy; major UI improvements; new Flashpoints...Ops (raids) and dailies; new gear; new graphics;and much more.

Let's party like it is 1863!

I dont see how it can be called a flop....SWTOR has over 1.7 million subs (and thats not with the padded asian numbers like alot of other games)......IT may not be what some people wanted it to be, but I'd say its a success to this point anyway.

Wrong. It had 1.7 million box sales. By the end of January less then 800k had renewed after the first free month. Currently most servers are nearly empty, and the game is hemmoraging subs. If EA/Bioware does release current subscription numbers at any time in the near future I would be completely suprised if they were over 500k. The massive blunder with the rollout of 1.2 rated warzones is only gonna cost them even more subs with little real evidence 1.2 will bring back any significant numbers. You gotta remember past evidence has shown the PVP community is far larger then the Raiding community industry wide.

• BardusBardus Member Posts: 460

Originally posted by Theocritus

So your saying it has 100% retention rate since the 1st month? Think your a little behind.