Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Interesting developements...

There appears to be some interesting things happening at Turbine.  Of course, there has been no official word yet, but apparently Turbine is buying up some Forgotten Realms related domain names.

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?p=4257772&posted=1#post4257772

Comments

• Storman1977Storman1977 Member Posts: 207

Official word has been released...

As if the front page article here on MMORPG.com wasn't enough of a notice, here is the official release from Fernando over on the DDO forums..

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=358497

• allegriaallegria Member CommonPosts: 682

Originally posted by Storman1977

Official word has been released...

As if the front page article here on MMORPG.com wasn't enough of a notice, here is the official release from Fernando over on the DDO forums..

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=358497

Very exciting stuff.. tons of content in '11 and more in '12 ... DDO is great stuff..

Can't wait for this !

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

ok guys just a heads up ,this game have more then one version of the website make sure you get the proper version

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

http://www.ddo.com/underdark/ 

if i go according to this i sure hope they lessen the brightness of the torch cause it look way too bright

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

So they finally opens up a part of the Forgotten realms? About bloddy time, but will they just have a portal back and forth or are they planning to move the game from Eberon to Faerun in the long run?

I wonder if the plan to set it in the classic FR of 3rd edition or in the new 4th?

I hope they stay away from 1480 Dr, Faerun is not what it used to be.

• allegriaallegria Member CommonPosts: 682

Originally posted by Loke666

So they finally opens up a part of the Forgotten realms? About bloddy time, but will they just have a portal back and forth or are they planning to move the game from Eberon to Faerun in the long run?

I wonder if the plan to set it in the classic FR of 3rd edition or in the new 4th?

They will not be doing rule changes.. Just new areas ( underdark ), level cap increase and Druid.

Also a new dungeon ( before expansion ) level 16 content that somehow ties in the expansion content.

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407

Finally some FR but im not holding my breath for it to be a whole new "world".

I will still keep my eye on Neverwinter Online especially with that foundry system.

Good chances ill play both tho lol

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Should be fun to see how many Drizzt and Catti-Brie clones this spawns.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136

Originally posted by gaeanprayer

DDO had all the Drizzt clones in the world the day drow came into the game. I would not expect many more.

• Valgar1Valgar1 Member UncommonPosts: 324

Good stuff,

Love the underdark.  How is it for new player's just starting? Will the underdark have a starting area.?

Originally posted by Valgar1

Good stuff,

Love the underdark.  How is it for new player's just starting? Will the underdark have a starting area.?

The how and where's haven't been released yet.  I'm hoping that, with this being a retail expansion, there will be a starting point in TFR.  Be nice to have to attack the problem from both sides of the Reality Rift that Lolth is causing.

• stealthbrstealthbr Member UncommonPosts: 1,054

Originally posted by Valgar1

Good stuff,

PCGamer states the Underdark is an area you travel to as a level 20 character.

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407

Drizzts, probably as many as usaul but Catti-Bries?

Hopefully not many as she's dead in the series in this period of time .

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• storm-dragonstorm-dragon Member Posts: 157

Originally posted by Asm0deus

MMMmm her and Regis are "Sorta dead" I have a feeling that Salvatore will put the gang back together at some point.

This sword here at my side dont act the way it should
    Keeps calling me its master, but I feel like its slave
    Hauling me faster and faster to an early, early grave
    And it howls! it howls like hell!

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by storm-dragon

Originally posted by Asm0deus

MMMmm her and Regis are "Sorta dead" I have a feeling that Salvatore will put the gang back together at some point.

Salvatore is way to busy with his new toy to write anymore Drizzt and forgotten realms books

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Another new development, starting this weekend on the Lamania Server (DDO's preview server for those that don't know) will be testing a new physics engine for the game. DDO is switching over to the Havok physics engine.

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=368701&page=3

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

I would think 4th is off the table for the most part. Even WotC finally accepted the fact that 4th edition alienated most of their core player base in pnp and now are making a 5th edition to bring players back. 5th is to be more rp friendly and less tactical board game like 4th was (or blatant attempt to market to mmo's as I have always believed).

Basically if they change to 4th it would be a step backwards not forwards. Frankly what I would like to see is an attempt at a unified system where Turbine can link all future D&D developments together to create one massive mmo where you dip into several D&D worlds eventually. Might need an engine upgrade for older content but well worth the effort. This starting a new mmo every few months just to find limited content with newer graphics is the death of mmo's. Why throw away content you made previously?

I am one of the many who dream and hope of a new Asheron's Call some day but honestly all I would want to see is a new version of the original game. Same world, same story and lore and main quests but done in a newer and more modern game (mechanics and graphics). So few have really played the game by todays standards that remaking it from scratch is meaningless. They have over 10 years of content to pull from. Just reshape it. Comic books do it all the time.

You stay sassy!

• GrinnzGrinnz Member UncommonPosts: 312
    Originally posted by Tamanous

I would think 4th is off the table for the most part. Even WotC finally accepted the fact that 4th edition alienated most of their core player base in pnp and now are making a 5th edition to bring players back. 5th is to be more rp friendly and less tactical board game like 4th was (or blatant attempt to market to mmo's as I have always believed).

Basically if they change to 4th it would be a step backwards not forwards. Frankly what I would like to see is an attempt at a unified system where Turbine can link all future D&D developments together to create one massive mmo where you dip into several D&D worlds eventually. Might need an engine upgrade for older content but well worth the effort. This starting a new mmo every few months just to find limited content with newer graphics is the death of mmo's. Why throw away content you made previously?

I am one of the many who dream and hope of a new Asheron's Call some day but honestly all I would want to see is a new version of the original game. Same world, same story and lore and main quests but done in a newer and more modern game (mechanics and graphics). So few have really played the game by todays standards that remaking it from scratch is meaningless. They have over 10 years of content to pull from. Just reshape it. Comic books do it all the time.

If they did this to AC...I'd be on that bandwagon, AC was one of the greatest MMO's ever.

• drakaenadrakaena Member UncommonPosts: 506
    4th edition is blasphemy. I still prefer AD&D and the second edition, but I'm old. I can compromise on 3.5 but 4th is a no go. I did hear it was more suited to translation into video games, I wouldn't know.

Drizzt is ruined for me. I just read the stories because I'm invested in the characters at this point.

More Jarlaxle and Artemis books imo. Hopefully Artemis gets his revenge on Jarlaxle in the third neverwinter book. Although money says Jarlaxle didn't know about Artemis' fate. He's gone soft. They could ship him off the the woods with cattie-brie while they're at it.

And how does a dwarf king not go to moradin when he dies... dumb.

Nerd rant over.