Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Game Update 1.2 – Legacy Preview

Comments

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

Originally posted by potbellyrhi

Wow grindfest? Like doing dailies for weeks to get a subpar item? Or farming the same crap over and over to get meh looking gear? Or do you mean the stories? The ones that make up 10% of the crap you do while the rest remains the same? Crafting maybe? Hands off grinding mats to make the same item 500 times in the hopes you get a purple?

I dont even like WOW and i think you're retarded.

But hey atleast end game isn't a grind you can gear any new player in one raid. So much for incentive. Funny part is half you fanbois will be crying the blues when you cant pug the new op.

Way to put your blinders on.

@cat If i pay my money for something i have a right to my opinion on it. My whole life isn't bitter just the portions of it dealing with this misadvertised crappy game. It's not an MMO or an RPG. Its a Co-op single player game that has worse story than any of the other BW games minus ME3. Single player story shouldn't be a tradeoff for overall game story.

My response will be as simple as possible mr. rager, if swtor was WoW, or anything like the boring WoW clones that come out every year I wouldn't be playing it.

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• potbellyrhipotbellyrhi Member Posts: 38

Yet here you are. You seem to be one of the very few jaded enough not to realize how SWTOR is an easy version of WOW (i know right..) with less to do...

*Edit* Sorry forgot to mention with crappy non-inspiring hallow stories. It offers nothing to the MMO community , but its a decent Co-op with some minor storytelling aspects. It can keep people happy that don't mind grinding the same crap over and over or those that have next to no time playing a game.

But gratz on your "non-grind" game you seem to have found with those rose colored glasses.

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

Yet here you are. You seem to be one of the very few jaded enough not to realize how SWTOR is an easy version of WOW (i know right..) with less to do...

*Edit* Sorry forgot to mention with crappy non-inspiring hallow stories. It offers nothing to the MMO community , but its a decent Co-op with some minor storytelling aspects. It can keep people happy that don't mind grinding the same crap over and over or those that have next to no time playing a game.

But gratz on your "non-grind" game you seem to have found with those rose colored glasses.

Like I said, you just can't appreciate it.  Or perhaps dont enjoy it, which is fine by me it isn't for everyone.  Playing through swtor literally has no sense of grind, if you have played to max level.  Following the story is amazing and probably the main reason leveling is fun so you really can't say that this game has any grind unless you choose to grind to max level, and there are those people in every MMO.

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• NomadMorlockNomadMorlock Member UncommonPosts: 815

Alot of great features that many are looking forward to, including me. 

Amazing there is such a vocal minority here of bashers.

• sbrite10sbrite10 Member Posts: 71

I assume that you can give us an actual number of people that are dissapointed in SWTOR?I love how the few people who didnt get exactly the game they wanted spout crap like that in the forums with no actual evidence of thier claims.The game isnt perfect and its only been out a few months.Its pretty damn fun and if you dont enjoy it thats fine.Insulting the Developers because your not happy with thier game and its vision is seriously childish.

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791

Originally posted by Chrisbox

Like I said, you just can't appreciate it.  Or perhaps dont enjoy it, which is fine by me it isn't for everyone.  Playing through swtor literally has no sense of grind, if you have played to max level.  Following the story is amazing and probably the main reason leveling is fun so you really can't say that this game has any grind unless you choose to grind to max level, and there are those people in every MMO.

I happen to agree with you 100%. People just can't understand that some people like apples and some prefer oranges. If SWTOR is not your "thing" then don't play it. If you like what SWTOR has to offer, then by all means put in as much time and get as much enjoyment out of it as YOU want. No one is going to tell me what I think is "fun" and try to convince me that THEIR version of fun should be mine. I am no lemming. I will make my own choices, thank you very much.

And for those that keep comparing with WoW, who cares. If SWTOR is like WoW I don't know. I have never played WoW and believe it or not, neither have a lot of gamers. All I know is that SWTOR is a fun game TO ME.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• sbrite10sbrite10 Member Posts: 71

Wow grindfest? Like doing dailies for weeks to get a subpar item? Or farming the same crap over and over to get meh looking gear? Or do you mean the stories? The ones that make up 10% of the crap you do while the rest remains the same? Crafting maybe? Hands off grinding mats to make the same item 500 times in the hopes you get a purple?

But hey atleast end game isn't a grind you can gear any new player in one raid. So much for incentive. Funny part is half you fanbois will be crying the blues when you cant pug the new op.

@cat If i pay my money for something i have a right to my opinion on it. My whole life isn't bitter just the portions of it dealing with this misadvertised crappy game. It's not an MMO or an RPG. Its a Co-op single player game that has worse story than any of the other BW games minus ME3. Single player story shouldn't be a tradeoff for overall game story.

How exactly did they misadvertise it?Oh I get it.You had dreams of a certain game produced to play the exact way you wanted it to be and since its not exactly how "you" envisioned it they "misadvertised" it?Thats one of the silliest things ive ever heard and typical of and entitled gamer. 

Originally posted by sbrite10

How exactly did they misadvertise it?Oh I get it.You had dreams of a certain game produced to play the exact way you wanted it to be and since its not exactly how "you" envisioned it they "misadvertised" it?Thats one of the silliest things ive ever heard and typical of and entitled gamer. 

There are close to 40 quotes from Dickerson that have proven (by the "vocal minority") to be complete crap. It was sold to an audience well beyond its means. Mainly the MMO audience.

SWTOR has no endgame, pvp and ops in this game are a joke even after mass assurances that it will have engaging and "groundbreaking" operations.

SWTOR was said by developers to have an indepth crafting system, yeah that got lost somewhere.

Hell it was advertised as a MMORPG, which niether of the acronyms that make that one up apply. In reality 1.2 is making the game less social friendly with the addition of Legacy abilities which require a companion (the only part of the Legacy features that involves combat ). And true role players dont enjoy the fact that every facet of your character is laid out in front of you in a static line that you have no choice to comply to.

So to above you have no context to what you're talking about. This game was touted by its developers to have innovative and groundbreaking story involved end game (ops) and what they delivered was watered down bugged out tank n spank crap. Not to mention their claim of 200 hours of gameplay to max level is retarded. And since have stated their goal and one of their ideas of end game is re-playing the game on another character gives you approx. 10% new content which you have no real attachments to because you have to put forth 0 effort to level it.

@ the rest i'm extatic you are having fun, i havent said noone should play this game just that if you want to play an MMORPG this isnt one. Grind is grind wether you choose to admit it or not. This game is 90% grind its just spaced out so if you dont want to see it you dont have to. Though the bigger problem is nothing in this game takes any skill or effort leading itself to the entitled masses which need their participation trophy or cry incessantly. But yup im bitter i gave my money like a dumbass to this game, though based on statements from its developers which turned out to be softcore bullshit.

• xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

Originally posted by RefMinor

How do midichlorians pass from adoptive Jedi dad to smuggler son

Jedi dad inject some of his blood into the adopted son and hopes that he doesn't die from incompatible blood type.

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by sbrite10

Here is one example of "misadvertisement"

Bioware's Damian Schubert said it would be somewhere in the middle of a sandbox and a themepark.

“Massively multiplayer games are not new. … One of these questions, still asked today, is whether or not massively multiplayer environments should strive to be games or to be worlds.

Advocates of the world philosophy see the space as a simulation or a sandbox. Fans of this viewpoint favor freedom and realism above all else – players have the ability to use and abuse almost anything around them, including other players. In ‘world’ MMOs, players tend to have a wide range of possible actions, most of which have relatively little depth. The depth of the world MMO comes from the interactions – players are urged to explore the world, and to find their own fun. The world MMO hates artificial constraints like classes or level requirements.

The game philosophy is quite the opposite, of course. Advocates of this view favor fun and balance more than anything. The game MMO is often described as being more like a theme park than a virtual world – player activity is tightly controlled, in such a way to help maximize the chance the player will have a fun, balanced and interesting combat experience and, in general, not be nasty to each other. The game MMO has no problem with introducing arbitrary rules to provide a tight, visceral gaming experience. Players can perform fewer actions, but these actions tend to have greater depth (such as a deeper, more balanced combat game)…

I’ve long advocated that moderation is the way to go, and I believe on The Old Republic we are successfully travelling a middle path, a centrist path that takes the strengths of both: provide a directed and balanced game experience inside a lush, free-form Star Wars world.”
  • Thoth-AmonThoth-Amon Member Posts: 91

some people are just never happy. the games been out what 3 months or so. ive had sufficient fun playing swtor to easily justify the cost of the game. theyre now releasing a big content patch with a ton of new features. great stuff. i guess wow has so spoiled people that they are cynical about everything. personally ill be playing my sith or chiss or whatever and you can all stick to waving your epeens at each other in kung fu panda land and buying crap in the blizz shop all you like.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

An already incredible, polished, bug free, .... game gets better and better. Ok, there are sure bugs, but nothing serious ever. Well, do not know for pvp or end game, im still not there, but have 2 alts 50 and 6 close to and still having as altholic a blast to level them all.

But, hey, sure, I can not expect all will find this game best ever.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by Thoth-Amon

some people are just never happy. the games been out what 3 months or so. ive had sufficient fun playing swtor to easily justify the cost of the game. theyre now releasing a big content patch with a ton of new features. great stuff. i guess wow has so spoiled people that they are cynical about everything. personally ill be playing my sith or chiss or whatever and you can all stick to waving your epeens at each other in kung fu panda land and buying crap in the blizz shop all you like.

I have never played WoW so I will be unable to follow your advice, I thought SWTOR was badly designed from the foundations up as an MMO, I do not believe they will be able to turn around the ship, 1.2 is just preaching to the converted.
  • Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

I used to be quite addicted to WoW back in the day when the talent trees were large and complex.

I enjoyed the planning - the 'meta game'.

Tor never had that complexity - it's too shallow.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617

To little to late. Told BW in beta over and over their current systems were not up to snuff and still no plans for add ons or guild tools. Everything in this game is unbalanced from server balance to classes. For me its just a place holder till GW2 comes out and thats only because its star wars. If it was any other IP I would have dropped it already. 

• IshkalIshkal Member UncommonPosts: 304

Umm nope WoW had BRS which at launch was intended to be a raid even though it dropped blues (ever run LBRS-UBRS a week or two after release? took longer then most raids these days do) and it also had molten core just to few noobs new what where or how to get there as it involved a rather in depth quest to unlock + the dang key for UBRS door oh an no short cuts to port to it. Rift also released with 3 raids(which was why you could go to the entrances see the portals but not enter) in it they  just unlocked them to be played to keep pros from burning all the content to fast and since it took the pros 2-3 weeks after launch to be geared enough to attempt the first raid well I'd say it was a good idea to keep every one on par rather then have one or two grps of people pwning in pvp with the raid drops ruining the game for 100s  carebears

Noone ran UBRS a week after launch =)

First max level in WOW took a week and a half and that dude didnt sleep. It was a month and change before most avid players hit max level. SWTOR was.. 2 days? I think the above poster was correct its too shallow.
  • sadnebulasadnebula Member UncommonPosts: 263

Legecy does nothing to cure  this game. mapped out areas, same quests and zones  for alts.

static worlds. ho hum armor.   Good thing it's named Star Wars. 

• thakursethakurse Member UncommonPosts: 25
    1.2 is in fact the 1.0. Beta will end with this patch and I hope they're gonna start fixing bugs.
  • MackehMackeh Member Posts: 164

MMORPG, IGN, GAMESPOT

Good for

release news and finding out what is in the pipeline of up and coming games. 

Bad for

Any form of review, their opinions are so deluded from what most of us know as reality you would think they were receiving backhanders from publishers.  *cough*

• SoandsosoSoandsoso Member Posts: 533

Originally posted by evicton

Originally posted by pags411

It's great to see these changes coming soon to the game.  I was really excited for this game as I watched its development.  I wanted to love the game for many different reasons, and there are a number of innovations that I hope to see incorporated into the MMO RPG genre (i.e. companions, player ships).  Sadly, it seems apparent that this game was gutted and forced onto shelves well before it was ready to be released.  This is going on the 5th month of live servers for TOR, and they're finally adding QOL features that most games launch with or patch in after a few weeks.  While the server stability and overall game performance was above average for a new title in this genre, the design philosophy and content fall incredibly short.

I empathize with people who defend this game, but eventually you have to come to terms with reason by understanding that TOR launched in the post-WoW and Rift eras.  There are features that these games have and new games need.  It goes without saying that this game has some great ideas.  People will play and enjoy this game for a long time if BW is able to swallow their pride and consolidate down to a handful of servers.  Nevertheless, this game probably won't see wipespread popularity and adoration considering EAs approach to the industry, and the deflated first impression this game made with the MMO community.  Your first major content patch mainly consists of things that should have launched in the game and an incomprehensible rich system for leveling alts?  Raiding guilds and pvp guilds are looking for a game with end game.  Bioware is making a KOTOR 3 online.

While you make some good points you miss the biggest point when you say raiding guild and pvp guild are looking for end game.

Tor launched in this era with 2 raids, both wow and rift launched with 0

Patch 1.2 for rift was when they added their first raid. 1.2 for Tor is implemented their 3rd raid. The 2nd post launch flashpoint added.

Wow's adding raid timelines was even worse at launch 1.1 gave us ony and Molten Core. It wasn't until 1.6 that Black Wing Lair was added almost 8 months after release.

Tor has alot of faults, adding raid content for end game raiding guilds is not one of them.

You didn't level to cap in a week when WoW launched so there was no need to have a ton of endgame content at release.

But I gather that you never played WoW at launch and think the leveling curve is the same as it is now.

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630

Originally posted by crysent

Originally posted by Valentina

Speak for yourself, I am looking forward to playing Chiss force users on both factions. Just because it doesn't interest you doesn't mean it only interests children and roleplayers. I'm neither, and I'm looking forward to it. The people I play with are looking forward to unlocking species for different classes and the opposite faction too. It's a game, you're not supposed to be taking it super seriously, you're supposed to be playing for fun and this system is "for fun".

Why?  Seriously...Not trying to be condecending -but if your not a child or a roleplayer what difference the races in this game which are essentially all the EXACT same except for their skin color and a few VERY VERY minor tweaks (horns, tattoos) would make to you I can't wrap my head around.

I just don't see the motivation.  As I said, if they had added unique races that were actually unique, not just different colored humans I could see the intrsts (who woulden't want a Wookie smuggler or Ewok Jedi) but the system to be implemented just seems...well..underwhelming to say the least.

I think you need to take you nasty attitude and deposit it somewhere else, the game is just that a game. Your dissapointments don't make the game a bad think just something you don't like move on. No need to get aggitated because others like the game.

I really don't understand why some people have to hate when other people are having fun.

• saltydog3saltydog3 Member Posts: 53

These Gaming companies should go into politics they good at making promising they can't deliver. I use to have great respect for Bioware not anymore.[Mod edit]

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Until they do something about the grouping mechanics of the game, which are frankly a major issue and something of a 'deal breaker'  then i can only say that player numbers will continue to decline, im not talking about server consolidation, though from the looks of things, that might be necessary in the not too distant future, if not now for some of them, but, just simple grouping tools that you find in other games, that actually enables people to form/join groups without having to hang around in nowheresville for half hour to an hour in the hope that someone might be interested in joining in..  and for the uninformed, nowheresville is 'republic fleet' i have no idea if the imperials have the same problem with grouping for flashpoint etc, but, all i can say is in shaltin tunnels, its dire..  so for me, legacy schmegacy, fix the game first before adding meaningless fluff items !

• trash656trash656 Member UncommonPosts: 361

The irony of all this is, is that they are advertizing it like it's an expansion pack for SWTOR. I guess developers are so greedy now they are even going as far as to advertise patchs and updates to try to make money.

What is the most dissapointing is too see gamers constantly eat it up everytime with every new MMORPG that is released. Pathetic. No wonder why the gaming industry is in such a slump. The gamers keep feeding them more and more money no matter how much poop the developers keep feeding them. And the gamers open their mouths wide and eat it whole everytime.

I'm glad people are enjoying the game though. I just feel sorry for them that they are so nieve to pay a monthly fee for something that a single player rpg could already provide without a monthly fee.