Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild wars 2 vs. The Secret World

Comments

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Originally posted by EvilestTwin

Originally posted by Fusion

Originally posted by Master10K

*snip*

Okay, thanks for clearing that up. Still wondering why it so difficult to find some good quality beta gameplay of TSW. Seen some poor quality stuff and not much of it. Yet when I simply search "guild wars 2" in youtube, it pretty much is nothing but beta footage at this point.

TSW beta is under NDA, thus you can't really find any "real" gameplay videos of it. You'll just have to wait for the NDA lift / open beta to REALLY see or try the game, or be lucky enough to be accepted into the beta.

Isn't the release date set in June?   The game is 3 months away from release and there's barely any footage for it.   GW2 probably isn't releasing until Q3 or Q4 2012, yet the amount of media released is incomparable.   TSW feels more like it's at least a year away.

That's what has me worried about TSW and it's release, because I read all these Press articles saying all these amazing things about TSW, yet I barely have any recent gameplay (nothing that isn't leaked) to reference it from. Yet with GW2 and any of the loafty claims surrounding that game, I have a wealth of gameplay footage to reference from. People say that GW2 is nothing but hype yet there isn't a feature of the game that isn't available for all to see, on youtube.

• ButregenyoButregenyo Member UncommonPosts: 483

it would be nice if TSW succeeds but i think it will not be on par with GW2. 

• MasterB8MasterB8 Member Posts: 9

The SecretWorld will never apeal to the grey mass that crave xpfactory type MMO's I hope for the  love of humanity's  sake it will become a small game with dedicated grown up players endulging in a rich story I rather pay 3 times the normal MMO monthly to get that dream come true.

I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK I work all day and I MMO all night....

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855

pffff, another....."what do you think is going to be the uber game"

I'll bite........i will be playing both game because SW will be (hopefully) be the kinda game where people have to think for a change (puzzles and riddles anyone) and some good 3 faction pvp.

GW2 i will play when i am not in the mood for a challenge and just want to play a relax game with some coop quests.

SO i think both will be succesfull (for me at least) .....thats why i will play both games because they are two different games for me.

there.

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063

Originally posted by ShakyMo

Originally posted by nate1980

Although my interest for TSW is higher, I'd have to say that GW2 will probably have more subscribers, thus being more successful.

I think this because the masses have less of a tolerance for intellectually challenging games and because GW2 will be B2P.

Other than that, I think both games will be different enough from the common MMORPG, so will both draw an initial vast surge of players.

nothing to do with intelect

GW2 offers way more to pvpers, thats why im on it.

TSW was looking like a balanced game, but most of the things theyve cut are pvp related, its now looking like a 90% PVE game like wow

Except the PvE content will be intellectually challenging, which experience has shown with quest helper, cheat websites, and various addons that the masses do not want, thus making TSW a niche game.

• VryheidVryheid Member UncommonPosts: 469

Inevitably Guild Wars 2 will be more successful. I don't know how anyone can argue otherwise. Does that mean it's a better game? No, it just means that ArenaNet has more money backing them and (more importantly) an established fanbase from the previous game which will automatically give them an advantage in sales.

If The Secret World ever does catch up, it will require a significant advertising push on their part and likely will only happen in the long term.

• blognorgblognorg Member UncommonPosts: 643

Originally posted by ShakyMo

Although my interest for TSW is higher, I'd have to say that GW2 will probably have more subscribers, thus being more successful.

I think this because the masses have less of a tolerance for intellectually challenging games and because GW2 will be B2P.

Other than that, I think both games will be different enough from the common MMORPG, so will both draw an initial vast surge of players.

nothing to do with intelect

GW2 offers way more to pvpers, thats why im on it.

TSW was looking like a balanced game, but most of the things theyve cut are pvp related, its now looking like a 90% PVE game like wow

Except the PvE content will be intellectually challenging, which experience has shown with quest helper, cheat websites, and various addons that the masses do not want, thus making TSW a niche game.

I kind of doubt that TSW will be intellectually stimulating. For one, it's bad business to make your players feel stupid, so the "detective" quests probably won't be that hard. The tie-ins with real life events seem kind of cool... but kind of gimmicky; kind of like most Nintendo stuff. lol

What entices me most about TSW is the skills system. The half active / half passive, choose what you want approach appeals to me. The combat also looks pretty fun. The theme and the setting don't necessarily speak to me, but I appreciate that they are trying something different. If I play one other MMO (other than GW2), it's going to be this one.

• CallsignVegaCallsignVega Member UncommonPosts: 288

Been following both for years. Going to have to go with GW2 for these reasons: less linear, less instancing, and WvWvW PvP in which you can fight other servers. TSW PvP doesn't look too promising.

• CamthylionCamthylion Member UncommonPosts: 220

I plan to try TSO but not Guild Wars 2... I am not gonna go around 24-7 talking down about GW2. I just have little interest in it.  I plan to play Archeage whenever you finally comes about, and that will be my PVP/GVG fix.  I think TSO has a interesting class/questing system, no levels, no set classes just make up your own person and go to it.

• DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402

Originally posted by ElderRat

not what I heard, sounds very soloable - like all the other games lately.

Epic necro.

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

• Nadya3Nadya3 Member Posts: 348

Originally posted by Camthylion

I plan to try TSO but not Guild Wars 2... I am not gonna go around 24-7 talking down about GW2. I just have little interest in it.  I plan to play Archeage whenever you finally comes about, and that will be my PVP/GVG fix.  I think TSO has a interesting class/questing system, no levels, no set classes just make up your own person and go to it.

i can't wait for Archeage myself.  hopefully we gonna be alive and still young by the time they release it in the west lol,  sadly is gonna be a very very long time before we get to play it.

i'm very cautious about GW2 and know very little about TSW.

i think i will play Tera, and may buy or not GW2 to play on the side, depending how good it is.  after 2 or 3 weeks it gets released

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

I just bought GW2 and I can't wait to play it but I have a feeling I will try TSW someday. the setting and Tornquist's infuence are a big pluses it has.

• AdalwulffAdalwulff Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,152

TSW is one of those games where I wait a month after release, it looks promising.

GW2 has a proven dev team and its centered on PvP, which is why I play PC games, and with all the videos Ive seen, there was little doubts, so I went ahead and pre-purchased.

I think a most gamers wait a few weeks after launch.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Originally posted by Nimar

Who will be more successful when this two mmos come out?

(And this thread is not put out to start a fight as some people it seems like to happen, but to simple see your opinion on who is your favorite. Just that.)

Different types of games really..

I will not be buying GW2 as im pretty sure its gonna be the same old same old and im bored of that..

TSW on the other hand has at least a different type of world setting so im looking forward to that a lot more than GW2

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

Hard to say long term. Initially, obviously GW2 will because of the hype, fans of the first game, and so far generally speaking seems most are acting favorably to the videos put out showing aspects of the game. On the other hand, not a lot has been seen of TSW in comparison, doesn't have near the hype or word of mouth going for it, and Funcom's track record. Now having said that, if Funcom does have a rather smooth launch and the game lives up to its promises in the long term it could be a resounding success as word gets around.

I'm skeptical myself about TSW especially with how little is being shown of the game but you never know. I'm hoping my skepticism is misplaced and TSW ends up being a fantastic game. I like their setting and concepts. It would really be nice to have an immersive and entertaining mmo that isn't centered around the same 'ole medieval fantasy backdrop. Just don't have a lot of faith in the company behind the game.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    While once over they may have competed on the large scale pvp thing, when tsw had the agartha concept of pve above ground / pvp below ground they possibly don't have much in common content wise now.

Gw2 has the better pvp obviously
    Both are doing pve "leveling" different to the norm, but also different to each other, they've come up with separate solutions to kill 10 rats.
    Tsw crafting looks great

However
    They both have VERY simmilar mmmo but a bit more actiony combat
    They both inverted the wow style typical exponential gear curve (i.e the big power increases come early, late game Is about diversity / cosmetic appearance)
    Both have different solutions to make grouping easier than your typical mmo (limitless decks / no trinity)
  • KnoodlepotKnoodlepot Member UncommonPosts: 20

Pressed reply and not qoute opps 1st part is a Reply to Master10K

it's been pretty much in developement since 2007 (was the 1st inkling a new game was about from makers of TLJ and DF).

TSW

Ragnar has kept to the games rep of secrets and conspiracies, all info we know is only just been released Ragnar stated in a few press releases that he wants to keep as much info secret as possible. All beta (that go against the NDA) vids that have been up have been taken down from youTube and other sites they do not last long at all.

As other people say Funcom puts them off i understand this and kinda agree but like wise i got badly treated by NCsoft so 'm staying away from GW2.

To OP.

I belong to a huge gaming community and we have many games we support TSW and GW2 will be our new games and i can see a that nearly everyone wants to play and try both games.

Both will have success in their own way :)

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

Originally posted by Nimar

Who will be more successful when this two mmos come out?

(And this thread is not put out to start a fight as some people it seems like to happen, but to simple see your opinion on who is your favorite. Just that.)

Funcom showed what it's worth and it's not much... I'm not expecting TSW to be any more different. It looks promising, but I'm afraid they'll fuck it up somewhere AGAIN. 

GW2 on the other hand has a dedicated team which loves the game and they're passionate about it and they proved themselves in GW1 so I'm placing my bets on GW2 and ANet. 

So, GW2.

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• VengerVenger Member UncommonPosts: 1,309
    Depends on cost to create and the life time of the game, but I'd put my money on GW2. I'm betting TSW goes f2p + cash shop in a year.
  • Coltaine00Coltaine00 Member Posts: 52
    Isn't EA publishing TSW? I think I've seen this movie before.

We've already seen a prepurchase program announced in direct reaction to GW2 (which they made release a few days later) offering beta access for prepurchasers.

Once GW2s release date is finalized, publisher EA will announce a very similar release date (possibly days before) when GW2 is supposed to be released.

Weeks later, forums will be flooded with complaints, qqing, etc about bugs, bad mechanics and an unfinished product released too early.

TSW subs will go the way of SWTORs. High spike and box sales, low retention.

You can take this to the bank.
  • BunksBunks Member Posts: 960

I really don't see these two as direct competition. One's a sub the other is play at leisure.

TSW is offering a unique gamestyle with the whole conspiracy angle. It's more modern. Def not fantasy and melee based. Has trinity combat. I see this more of a direct threat to SWTOR and GW2 will be the "other" game.

• kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012

Originally posted by Coltaine00

Isn't EA publishing TSW? I think I've seen this movie before.

We've already seen a prepurchase program announced in direct reaction to GW2 (which they made release a few days later) offering beta access for prepurchasers.

Once GW2s release date is finalized, publisher EA will announce a very similar release date (possibly days before) when GW2 is supposed to be released.

Weeks later, forums will be flooded with complaints, qqing, etc about bugs, bad mechanics and an unfinished product released too early.

TSW subs will go the way of SWTORs. High spike and box sales, low retention.

You can take this to the bank.

To be fair TSW has had release date set for June for a while now.

Other than that...PvPers will flock GW2, PvE'ers will flock TSW...apples & oranges and all that jazz

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

The Secret World strikes me as a much more niche game, but I think it will pull down a solid base of players if it's done right.  I personally will be owning both games, and I'll end up sticking with the one that sucks me in.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• JupstoJupsto Member UncommonPosts: 2,075

Its funny because secret world is maybe more like guild wars 1 than guild wars 2 when you consider its class/skill system, and the fact that it will probably be wholly instanced.

My blog: image

• dageezadageeza Member Posts: 578

I already pre purchased GW2 and trust Anet to deliver a great game..

TSW looks amazing but has both an untrustable dev and an almost criminal publisher, i will hold off on this game for quite a while like until it goes free over the next year or two unless i can try before i buy and like it then i will pony up..

Playing GW2..