Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tera VS GuildWars 2

Comments

• Nadya3Nadya3 Member Posts: 348

Originally posted by Calind0r

TERA sucks.

It has the best combat of any MMO ever. But its a bit too slow paced and dumbed down for 'keyboard turners' if you will.

Aside from the combat it's an incredibly boring and generic copy of every other MMO. Your first few weeks will be nothing more than doing kill 6 mob quests, and running instances that are primarily elite mobs that take a long time to kill, which mitigates the epic feeling and thrill of having action based combat. The instances are also incredibly easy, and theres like 0% chance to wipe.

End game is also an instanced themepark, so there don't expect any type of political system or oopen world PvP to work.

the game is not for you.  therefore it sucks!  how clever!

• DjildjameshDjildjamesh Member UncommonPosts: 406

my advice would be:

Buy and Try Guild Wars 2 if you want something different.  See if you like it, if not buy/try Tera.

If you however like tradional questing buy Tera first and Guild wars 2 after.

• nookey91nookey91 Member Posts: 42

teras combat ,the best ? the 1 thing that they did wrong, makes warhammer looks better. Thats because the animations take place over the actual gameplay. and that also is the reason why it is so slow.  I would expect this simple flaw to make the game die out in 1 year. Like aion

• skydiver12skydiver12 Member Posts: 432

Originally posted by nookey91

teras combat ,the best ? the 1 thing that they did wrong, makes warhammer looks better. Thats because the animations take place over the actual gameplay. and that also is the reason why it is so slow.  I would expect this simple flaw to make the game die out in 1 year. Like aion

Animations are faster than a GCD of 1.5 or 2 Seconds or 1 second. At Endgame you get +haste (speed) gear and attack way faster. Stop comparing lvl5 TERa gameplay to max level WoW/WAR etc.

WAR is way more slow by any rate at lvl5 and please? Warhammer? Why on earth the most desync gcd based combat themepark out there? Hell if you would have picked rift or something but why WARHAMMER? This game even fails at proper GCD / animation syncing. 

Any MMO game sofar what had a Animation instead of a GCD combat system ended up way faster than any GCD system.

At endgame you pushed at least 2 skills a second through in Aion. mostly three.

In l2 you could fire up to 8 skills a second due to buttonsmash at speedcap of 1500.

At lvl15 Lancer my shield bash is a combo fo THREE BUTTON PRESSES and two SKILLs of the initial one is pressed twice to activate. That happens below ONE second. Show me a lvl15 WAR charakter who can fire of three skills in 1 second.

A Berserker can chancel default atk animation and spam attack / block. in under one second. 

Any other GCD game is slower, you get a few instant abilities for "oh shit" moments like interrupts but that's as "fast" as it gets.

skill - gcd 1.5secs - skill. 

Stop trolling or get proper informed at least.

• StyleGamingStyleGaming Member Posts: 43

Two things:

1st- I have a friend who knows a lot of devs and is in the industry, and he told me that GW2 needs a LOT of work still. This was less than two weeks ago. Only time/beta testing will tell.

2- If you have not played TERA then you don't know what you are talking about, so don't talk.

Me personally.. i'll be playing both.

- http://www.youtube.com/user/myfreestylegaming

AC>EQ>War>EVE>AoC>Aion>SWTOR>FireFall>Tera/GW2

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

Originally posted by Elloa

Hello Everyone,

I wonder what do you think about those 2 future game. i've not got teh chance to get a beta key, so I'm just exploring the net searching for all information i can for those game.

I'd like to find a home in the MMO world, to replace World of Warcraft (my susbscription end in september), and both game attract me very much. I'm also playing Rift that I enjoy and Minecraft, so I'll have to make a choice.

Guild Wars seem more RolePlay oriented, while Tera is probably more oriented arround fight and combat. Both game seem beautiful and attractive in their own way.

What do you think? Where it would be possible to reinstall a community ?

GW has a lot of roleplay but at the same time it offers alot of combat and PVP (if you like PVPing)...

I haven't followed much TERA because it didn't have... Don't know, something, when I googled/youtubed it a few times, not so long ago.

I think TERA will do well, but I won't play it because I don't have the feeling it'll offer enough refreshing and new things in the game style (and therefore it won't satisfy what I now want from an mmorpg to be). 

I could easily be wrong, but in my opinion - GW2 will be far more refreshing and will offer a lot more fun to me than TERA would. 

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• Nadya3Nadya3 Member Posts: 348

Originally posted by Djildjamesh

my advice would be:

Buy and Try Guild Wars 2 if you want something different.  See if you like it, if not buy/try Tera.

why not playing both?

you get the best of both worlds.  you never gonna be bored. 

• dbonelli80dbonelli80 Member Posts: 7

Very good

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Originally posted by Calind0r

TERA sucks.

Well I don't know if it sucks, but it certainly isn't worth my money........ month after month of it.

• CingeCinge Member Posts: 120

yeah this thread was promising, especially on these boards.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Originally posted by Elloa

Hello Everyone,

I wonder what do you think about those 2 future game. i've not got teh chance to get a beta key, so I'm just exploring the net searching for all information i can for those game.

I'd like to find a home in the MMO world, to replace World of Warcraft (my susbscription end in september), and both game attract me very much. I'm also playing Rift that I enjoy and Minecraft, so I'll have to make a choice.

Guild Wars seem more RolePlay oriented, while Tera is probably more oriented arround fight and combat. Both game seem beautiful and attractive in their own way.

What do you think? Where it would be possible to reinstall a community ?

Well, just by going off of the games you have played & enjoyed, I would say that GW2 is probably the better fit for you.

To hopefully paint a better picture, I'll go a little more indepth on both games. For starters, the combat is a big draw for both games, and on the surface there isn't a whole lot different between the basic structure of GW2's combat, and TERAs combat. However, TERA is very aim-heavy, where GW2 has tab targetting (doesn't guaruntee you're skills will hit, but will point them in the right direction). They both have very action-oriented, reactive combat. That said, if you delve any deeper into the combat systems of either game, they are a LOT different in the details.

As for communities, the two games center their social interactions VERY differently (almost in the exact opposite manner). GW2's community is centered around players joining together to accomplish a common goal. Whether that be a huge dynamic event, a basic quest, skill challenges, pvp, WvW, or just general info, it's all done in the spirit of 'helping others helps everyone as a whole'. To some, the community can be a bit elitist, however I have found a fairly intelligent community (overall, there are always a few asshats) follows Anet currently. I expect this to continue into GW2.

TERA's community centers more around compeition & inter-server PvP. It's more about competing with the guy next to you to see who's the superior player. The game is primarily PvE, but it has open world pvp (yes any player can walk up and kick you in the face if they want to, and so far there is no real disadvantage to doing so (so expect to get griefed a lot)). TERA also has guild vs. guild pvp, so there will be a lot of competitions & epeening between guilds. And since it's open world pvp, if you're guild gets challenged, that means you can be sought out and killed, even if you don't want to take part.

- For TERA, the community is most likely going to be very similar to what we saw in Aion, or Lineage II (dunno if you've ever played those). Lots of competition between the players, and more than likely a good amount of hostility between players (especially given that there are no factions, everyone is essentially against everyone else).

Again, to summarize, I think GW2 is going to cater to you better. The combat in both these games are fairly different from WoW or Rift. However, the community for GW2 will probably match Rift or WoW more closely than TERA would. GW2 = similar type of people, playing a different type of game. TERA = different type of people playing a similar type of game.

The choice is still yours to make, and if you wanted you could really play both, as GW2 doesn't have a monthly fee.

• ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960

Originally posted by StyleGaming

Two things:

1st- I have a friend who knows a lot of devs and is in the industry, and he told me that GW2 needs a LOT of work still. This was less than two weeks ago. Only time/beta testing will tell.

2- If you have not played TERA then you don't know what you are talking about, so don't talk.

I have a friend that knows a lot of elves and works in the toy industry and he told me Santa is going bankrupt and there won't be Christmas this year.

• ArkiniaArkinia Member Posts: 251

Originally posted by Nadya3

my advice would be:

why not playing both?

yup! On it like white on rice...

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991

Originally posted by ice-vortex

I have a friend that knows a lot of elves and works in the toy industry and he told me Santa is going bankrupt and there won't be Christmas this year.

If this is true I'm going to be so pissed.

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

• joocheesejoocheese Member Posts: 845

Originally posted by Arkinia

Originally posted by Nadya3

my advice would be:

why not playing both?

yup! On it like white on rice...

That's the convinient aspect of GW2, because it has no monthly sub, you can play it and any other game; no guilt for throwing away $15 every month if you don't play it that often.

• ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960

Originally posted by Charlizzard

Originally posted by ice-vortex

If this is true I'm going to be so pissed.

It seems giving out free toys to everyone in the world wasn't a sound business model.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by StyleGaming

Two things:

I am sure it does, particularly the balancing of the PvP. That is why you have betas.

But I been in plenty of betas and they usually are even more glitchy then what we seen for GW2 so far. The game looks polished enough, some zones needs to be finnished and tit need some bug crushing and balancing. I don´t see what that have to do with tera though.

I have played TERA, it is actually pretty good and I might buy it, not decided yet. I have already bought GW2 though so that tells you a bit of how I see things.

Tera is indeed more polished since the game really have been out for over a year in Korea, and if GW2 was another year away I would have bought Tera in a second. But I think GW2 have more potential.

Comparing both games isn't exactly fair to either of them, Tera is actually a good game even though it gets annoyingly cute at times and that it seems like they have been using female tennis players for the female warriors combat shouts.

But the whole idea of finally getting rid of my constantly overfull questlog is too much, TERAs quests are mostly the same as in all other MMOs.

I think this discussion wont be much of use until after next weekend when we will have a huge number of players that actually played both games for a while..

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991

Originally posted by Scyfo

The combat system is not as amazing as people say it is, no where near the quality of Darksiders or Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, and I know they are not MMOs but still they market this game as True Action Comat..or something like that, the combat is not that fluid, it does no't feel right, most of the time it is the same move over and over with dodging and pressing space bar between attacks.

I dislike the graphics style. Even thought it does have some high quality graphics, the art is too bright and unrealistic for me, I perfer the graphics in Rift or Guild Wars (Especially Guild Wars 2).

The questing system is copy paste from the "How to make the same MMO everyone has made or is making" hand book, see an exclamation mark, don't read any of the text, follow the things on the map and quest tracker, do not learn lore (unless there is a cutscene). 

I've been playing the beta since this afternoon. No, this does not make me an expert, and I'm not pretending to be. It did give me some time to form some initial opinions. I would echo the comments above. I was looking for combat that was fluid and dynamic, and instead I found myself just rooted in place using abilities. Maybe this changes later in the game, IDK. Even the need to target things seemed a bit odd. I can imagine how targeting a mob would be rather cool if, for example, targeting different parts of the mob did damage to that particular area, but that isn't how it works. I do like the idea of moving from a tab-target world, though.

The graphics style/art direction. Yeah, it's pretty, parts of it are in fact stunning. Reminds me a lot of Aion (opinion!). Things are bright with good detail. But there's something about the style that I just don't like. And don't get me started on the Elin, I don't care if they're ancient fun-loving nature spirits, I know what they look like and it's not OK to me, but whatever. I appreciate cultural context, doesn't mean I have to like it.

And the questing, yeah. Look, I know that people argue that this questing is standard for RPG's. Fine. But after years of doing in in WoW my god is it boring, and I mean boring. Fetch and kill all over again. After 4 hours or so it became painful to get through.

Yes, absolutely, my Tera experience is quite limited, and gameplay may change at higher levels or in different areas. But if I'm playing a game for fun, should I have to just try and "get through" some things to get to the fun stuff?

At any rate, i do not think it is approriate to compare this to GW2. They are not competing or necessarily going for the same market, so a comparison for the sake of comparison is not useful in my opnion.

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237

Originally posted by MorbidCurio

Alright. Are you sure you want my honest opinion? It's going to generate a lot of nerdrage in the thread. So if you're prone to raging about GW 2 I would suggest you not even bother reading this. It's a inuitive, experienced eye closely examining GW 2 under a microscope. Call it opinion if you want, but these are actually educated, grounded conclusions that anyone who is looking should come to.

GW 2 - Looks promising, but ANet is pulling a massive trick on everybody. It's not nearly as cool as any of you think it is. The combat system is actually more like the norm than you would believe. Almost everything I have seen of the game so far indicates that it's basically just GW 1 with upgraded graphics and a slightly upgrade system of combat. Let's take a close look at it, shall we?

Ok, let's start with the 'dodge' mechanic that everybody goes to right off the bat.

It's useless and isn't nearly what most of you probably think it is. If you think that the dodge mechanic is a simple tool to perhaps cover a little bit of ground that is to be used sparingly, then that's what it is.

If you think it's a super amazing mechanic that allows you to carefully and precicely dodge any attack, you're wrong. I have seen the game played IN PERSON AT A PUBLIC EVENT. I have also watched every single video available on youtube and carefully examined them. Nothing I am about to talk about is under NDA; it's public record.

Ok, now that that's out the way I can say this: The 'dodge' roll in GW 2 does not prevent you from taking damage AND it consumes a fair amount of energy. There is no weapon arc collision detection in the game. Instead, everything is basically a small area attack. There are plenty of videos out there where you see the focus of the camera rolling around all over the place, but still taking plenty of damage.

The roll is mostly to put a little distance between you and your target. What is nothing more than an escape ability in any other game has somehow become a 'unique mechanic' in GW 2. This is not the case. Plenty of other games have already done this and some even do it better from what I've seen.

In GW 2 you still have a hot bar. You still spam buttons. Hell, from what I've seen you actually seem to end up spamming one button most of the time. The hot bar is set up exactly like GW 1, so anyone familiar with that game should know what I'm talking about. You end up spamming one ability the majority of the time (sound familiar? it should)

As far as the quests go - How is what they're describing any different than what GW 1 currently offers? I, for one, got really sick of all the running around. To the point that I didn't want to make any alts.

TL:DR

GW 2 is shaping up to be mostly a rehash of GW  with things that ANet probably wanted to do with their first game. The most significant ADDITION I have seen is more of an open world. Nothing else has jumped out at me as being all that different from GW 1. If you don't want to take my word for it then, please, go to youtube and very carefully watch the videos.

TERA

Since Tera is released, there is no NDA to worry about here. Though this info is all based off of the Korean live client. Take it as you will.

So far - The combat is amazing....that's about it.

Someone else summed up it's problems nicely. The dungeons are really easy and kinda boring. Leveling is remarkably short, which is good all things considered. And the PvP system is completely trashed at the moment. It needs a pretty fair amount of work, but if they can fix these issues it should be a pretty interesting game. We'll have to wait and see.

Dodge is dodge.  I dont think anyone is raving about that. But it is a new mechanic that most MMOs today dont have.  Ive only seen it in Dragons Nest and TERA (which Ive played).  Your missing the point which is evasion is now an active condition as opposed to just a stat.  This by itself adds color to combat that to be honest has been stale.  You can spam the buttons.  But if you are, I guarentee you will die. Often.  The hook isnt the removal of a hotbar. This is an MMO.  Its the use of skills to fight rather than watching numbers.  You wont win just because you are a higher level than me.  Developing this skill will take time.

This is a complete 180 from GW1, which is why many asked for the title to be changed.  GW1 was a co-op online RPG with instances.  GW2 is a fully realized persistent world.

GW2 isnt changing WHAT you do, they want to change HOW you do it.  Its more a focus of having fun fighting and being part of the fight.  The lack of true trinity, no technical grouping, no end game are just functional examples of how they will deliver that innovation.  No other MMO is even attempting this.

In terms of TERA I was in 3 CBTs.  The graphics are lush and beautiful and the lore was surprisingly deep.  The combat is addictive as it innovates by adding an aim mechanic (you hit where you point your mouse cursor).  What I didnt like was linear questing we have seen countless times before.  Its not bad, but exposes its age after the first few levels.  BAMs (Big Ass Monsters) does return some of the excitement, but not enough (for me) to hold a sub.

Both games are trying to change the formula thats been copied for decades and I applaud both of them.  The difference between the two is TERA is more of an evolution, while I see GW2 more as innovative.  If they succeed it will let other developers know its ok to try new things.  I fully support that and this game.

• MahavishnuMahavishnu Member Posts: 336

Hm,

"reinstall a community", depends on what you and your fríends prefer:

1. Grinding for gear, raiding huge bosses, superb graphics -> Tera

2. PvP, a quest-system that makes you work together with strangers, ingame RP-features -> GW2

Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need.

• XeseXese Member Posts: 39

To be honest, I could not tell a huge difference in terms of graphics for TERA or GW2. Played both on fairly high settings.

Sure, Tera has a brighter palette and GW2 opted to go for more "realistic" colors in my opinion, both for good reasons, but for me I can't distinguish enough difference to say one's graphics trumps the other in any significant manner.

So to me when peopel argue about graphics it all just sounds like personal preference and not valid. Maybe someone will prove me wrong with polygon counts or texture resolution or something.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Originally posted by Xese

To be honest, I could not tell a huge difference in terms of graphics for TERA or GW2. Played both on fairly high settings.

Oh now you gone 'n done it.

• EmrendilEmrendil Member Posts: 199

Originally posted by Xese

Sure, Tera has a brighter palette and GW2 opted to go for more "realistic" colors in my opinion, both for good reasons, but for me I can't distinguish enough difference to say one's graphics trumps the other in any significant manner.

So to me when peopel argue about graphics it all just sounds like personal preference and not valid. Maybe someone will prove me wrong with polygon counts or texture resolution or something.

The "huge" diffrence is in art style.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Originally posted by Emrendil

The "huge" diffrence is in art style.

Both art styles are pretty awesome imo. For Tera, I wish the monsters had more of a LOTRO style in them. There are areas that are pretty filled with war camps etc, but there are also areas that are filled with weird stuff that you'd find in a hallucination elf dream.

Generally the world is very well drawn in Tera. It's just that the monsters themselves don't always seem to fit into it. Too colourful I guess? The world is exceptionally beautiful at places and you must not forget to look up into the sky through the tree lines. One such beautiful area was one somebody made a video of, it's a shrine of a goddess in the game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cI65x1SYyF4

The BAMs certainly fit better than other smaller minions in the regions they are placed.

The only problem with the youtube videos is that they don't capture the quality of a really high end system. That's why I'll say that I like what I've seen in GW2 videos so far, but without playing the game I can't really tell if it's a stunner for real. The city certainly looked great.

Talking about cities, check this video on Tera again as you fly towards Allemanthea, the city of elves and Kaiator, the city of Amani. The scale is pretty amazing. Allemanthea is large and open and grand in scale, while Kaiator is dark, closed, armored and something you'd expect a dwarven fortress to be in other games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nINvGLn1aM

Honestly I wasn't expecting to find more than one big city in the game and Velika is pretty big (the human city). But there are three huge cites that I've found. Popori and Castanics cities don't exactly qualify as cities, more like huge outposts.

The videos above were not made by me btw, I just found them fitting to what I wanted to describe.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Xasapis

Both art styles are pretty awesome imo. For Tera, I wish the monsters had more of a LOTRO style in them. There are areas that are pretty filled with war camps etc, but there are also areas that are filled with weird stuff that you'd find in a hallucination elf dream.

Generally the world is very well drawn in Tera. It's just that the monsters themselves don't always seem to fit into it. Too colourful I guess? The world is exceptionally beautiful at places and you must not forget to look up into the sky through the tree lines. One such beautiful area was one somebody made a video of, it's a shrine of a goddess in the game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cI65x1SYyF4

The BAMs certainly fit better than other smaller minions in the regions they are placed.

The only problem with the youtube videos is that they don't capture the quality of a really high end system. That's why I'll say that I like what I've seen in GW2 videos so far, but without playing the game I can't really tell if it's a stunner for real. The city certainly looked great.

Talking about cities, check this video on Tera again as you fly towards Allemanthea, the city of elves and Kaiator, the city of Amani. The scale is pretty amazing. Allemanthea is large and open and grand in scale, while Kaiator is dark, closed, armored and something you'd expect a dwarven fortress to be in other games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nINvGLn1aM

Honestly I wasn't expecting to find more than one big city in the game and Velika is pretty big (the human city). But there are three huge cites that I've found. Popori and Castanics cities don't exactly qualify as cities, more like huge outposts.

The videos above were not made by me btw, I just found them fitting to what I wanted to describe.

Yeah, vids doesn´t really give either of the games any justice.

I think Tera looks better in many areas but far from all. But I must say that Divinitys reach is the best city *I ever seen in a MMO. I found Velika fine but not great.

We can compare single stuff like armors, effects or flowers but both games look fine to me (besides a few Super Mario like Tera mobs).

BAM = Big @ssed monster

BEM = Bug eyed monster

imageimage

GW2                                          Tera