Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret World: PAX East – Skills and Chaos Magic

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

During PAX East, our team had the opportunity to get a first-time hands on look at Funcom's The Secret World. We've got some impressions to share so keep reading! Leave us your thoughts in the comments.

During PAX East 2012 this year, I finally had time to sit down and actually get my hands on Funcom’s The Secret World. It wasn’t a long demo time, but what I did play, I immediately loved. Nothing like running around Kingsmouth (perfect New England-esque setting for a Boston convention) shooting things with my rifle and whipping out my chaos magic to make me get really amped up for a horror MMORPG.  It’s fast, fluid, and fun to switch between wielding the ranged rifle and more up-close AOE magic like Chaos.

Read more of Bill Murphy's The Secret World: PAX East – Skills and Chaos Magic.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• vtravivtravi Member UncommonPosts: 398

I got to play for an hour or so at Pax. You can turn off way points. The quests seem really fun and much more immersive than Swtor. My major concern is that the game seemed too easy. 3 mobs were attacking me and I was able to kill them with no weapons and one skill on a 30 sec cooldown. They were beating on me for 2 minutes and I still was at half health. I was also able to easily kill a monster that had a skull next to the name (i assume that means it is well above my level)

But overall I really enjoyed the game much more than I expected. I got a beta key so I will give it a go and I might just get a lifetime sub.

• charlespaynecharlespayne Member UncommonPosts: 381

I pre ordered it my self as it looks really good.

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

How can you not love this game? Oo

• charlespaynecharlespayne Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Funcom did well with anarchy and AOC so i cant see why thay wont with this one.
  • uthardautharda Member UncommonPosts: 15

Gimmmie.   Now.

and tbh, I played anarchy for 2 years,  after the first 3 months or so it was solid.   Conan, they really just underestimated peoples time to level to 80.  Its still fun, even in its current incarnation.

• DakirnDakirn Member UncommonPosts: 372

Still no comments on how most quests are standard fedex/kill X X and that you can only have a small amount at a time?

Interesting. I hope everyone who's about to spend money on it gets a chance to try it first.

Just saying..

• DaSpackDaSpack Member UncommonPosts: 589

Being more of a fanrasy guy I will go for the magic skills. But it will be fun to try and combine that with... lets say Assault Rifle?

The Ultimate Breakdown

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

Funcom dont seem to have been hyping this game so much which i think may be a good thing. The rediculous levels of hype surrounding SWTOR for years before launch put a lot of pressure on them. 

Now that the game is pretty much ready, they are releasing lots more information and getting people more interested with solid gameplay videos and real information about what will be in the game instead of vague tidbits of info being released years before the game is due

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• OtilleOtille Member Posts: 9

Originally posted by vtravi

My major concern is that the game seemed too easy. 3 mobs were attacking me and I was able to kill them with no weapons and one skill on a 30 sec cooldown. They were beating on me for 2 minutes and I still was at half health. I was also able to easily kill a monster that had a skull next to the name (i assume that means it is well above my level)

If it's anything similar to Age of Conan ... then the dungeons will be as challenging as hell. And more so with the superb ability wheel system. The best Cabals will know what builds to work on for different dungeons. The game will be awesome .. I hope a lot of people try this game.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

That wheel of skills looks very damn interesting. Did anyone else get the l4d vibe from the environment?? Only one "complaint" ,those chaos spells were pretty meh looking :(

Lol a table leg...

• DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402

this game does not look ready for launch.

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Hm. The world looks very interesting, as does the setting. But the combat looks extremely bland and boring in every video I have seen so far of TSW.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063

so this game is a quest grinder? I don't like that you have to equip a certain item to use magic. In some games you're forced to use staves as your catalyst, and in this game it's a table leg =-(

I HATE quest grinders, and I'm still not sure if there'll be lots of loading screens.

• BlackbrrdBlackbrrd Member Posts: 811

I got to play for an hour or so at Pax. You can turn off way points. The quests seem really fun and much more immersive than Swtor. My major concern is that the game seemed too easy. 3 mobs were attacking me and I was able to kill them with no weapons and one skill on a 30 sec cooldown. They were beating on me for 2 minutes and I still was at half health. I was also able to easily kill a monster that had a skull next to the name (i assume that means it is well above my level)

But overall I really enjoyed the game much more than I expected. I got a beta key so I will give it a go and I might just get a lifetime sub.

If you were playing the same kind of character as the dev in the video above, it was way OP for the area. TSW will have character development, which includes vertical progression. The area you were in is for the first noob characters. ;)

It's Funcom, you don't have to worry about the game being to easy. :p

• BoatsmateBoatsmate Member Posts: 208

I like the look of the environment and creatures in this game.

Ballerinas are always on their toes. Why don't they just get taller ballerinas?

• tharkthark Member UncommonPosts: 1,188

Looks Sweet.,,But do we really have to see the ugly green ring at her feet  ?

• umie214umie214 Member Posts: 123

i also love the environments and creatures, but the power and character animations are horrid =(

• BarsoomBarsoom Member UncommonPosts: 15

The ability wheel looks really awsome. I like the fact that there will be no OP classes, and if there are any OP skills anyone can learn them. The 3 faction concept seems like a great approach to provide a better balance of the factions. And if i understand the implications correctly the PvE content you will be able to team with other factions making a larger pool of players for raiding.

Really looking forward to this one!

Played: The Realm, Anarchy-Online, Tabula Rasa, Guild Wars, Age Of Conan, Star Trek Online, Aion, Rift, SWTOR

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Battle Star galactica called, They want their phones back.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

Finally a niche M rated MMORPG for gamers.

Mainstream kiddies, GW2 Datta Way ----->

• pdx2012pdx2012 Member Posts: 7

Preordered - can't wait!

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507

Originally posted by GoldenArrow

How can you not love this game? Oo

I think its quite good, but to be honesdt a pass on retail for me. The gameplay is your (now) standard storyline with filler quests. I am not a huge fan of the graphics, I think it looks a bit rough, and SWTOR and for that matter WoW, have a look that suggests that professional art teams did the work rather than Sven and his mates from the local art colleague. Music is nothing special, though voice acting a plus. as you will here from PAX demo reports. The biggest issue is whether the games three factins will grab you. Some of them seem a bit silly to me (Templars). Finally there is a cash shop at launch. Nope, for me SWTOR is a more polished sub game, and with content patches every few  months it is worthy of the sub I think.

• UBakedUBaked Member Posts: 7

Originally posted by Illyssia

I am not a huge fan of the graphics, I think it looks a bit rough, and SWTOR and for that matter WoW, have a look that suggests that professional art teams did the work rather than Sven and his mates from the local art colleague.

i guess it ur opinion so i cant rly judge,

but if ur serious [mod edit]  im rly surprised considering TSW has better graphics than AOC and AOC has won alot of awards on its graphics alone.

either way lol @ WoW having a better arts/graphics team than TSW -

-----

My major concern is that the game seemed too easy. 3 mobs were attacking me and I was able to kill them with no weapons and one skill on a 30 sec cooldown. They were beating on me for 2 minutes and I still was at half health. I was also able to easily kill a monster that had a skull next to the name (i assume that means it is well above my level)

from what ive heard the skulls represent there lvl so 1 skull would be the easiest mobs unless theres half skulls.

----

love that this game will be a niche game -  meaning alot of the whingeing will be ignored at least at first - allowing the company to release an experience they want us to have rather than that of the A.D.D gamer that is never quite sure what they want, or has come from wow(example) and what features that are in that game cause it is so old.

hate that people are used to a certain thing and if its different its wrong

love that different weapons/dmg types affect dif mobs for more dmg -

crafting is awesome - i see it more as a way to tweak builds rather than get rich on the AH

hmmm i can over look glitchs or bugs - mmos will never be 100% free( i imgaine it to be very complex)  but no raids at release..  i like raiding with a decent grp of mates (not talking bout rushing to max lvl(or in this case skill lvl))

id love to see raids in a game that can be done mid game rather than late game - or a harder version for late game  ,,, i get there are grp instances but 5 aint 10 or 20

but rly raids issue wont stop me from preordering.

the fact u can spend 350$ on game and its not out makes me catious as u know this is gonna be a cash cow - hopefully its just worth it  (though in hind sight it never is)

• AnakronAnakron Member UncommonPosts: 1

skills circle and multiple builds: thumb up

animation: what are we talking about? i think like.. any game after 2003 have far better animations then this.. what are those knifes and balesters? seriously... also the eye wants its part... bah. still following.

• DomenicusDomenicus Member UncommonPosts: 290

From what I saw on video, specially the GDC presentation, the graphic is inferior to AoC, by far... And I am not speaking of animation only...

However it may be not the final graphics with all the textures in... But what I REALLY want to know is about the char creation.. Anyone knows if it is complex as AoC? Or it is simple as on GDC presentation? This game has a HUGE potential to RP IF we really have a good char customization... Anyone knows anything about it, heard anything about some friend who is in beta or anything? To me is really important the char customization on char creation...