Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question about LOTRO

Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766

So I feel like trying this game out again, and I absolutely hate the F2P model in games so I usually sub to try them out. I just have a question about the expansions. I see that if you sub you generally get access to everything in the game, except the expansions. Is this true, would I still have to purchase mines of moria and seige of mirkwood, and what ever other expansions there are? I only know about those two, so I guess that would be another question, are there any more expansions?

Comments

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766

Bump really quick I just gotta know before I try it

• krazyslothkrazysloth Member Posts: 13

Yeah I was wondering the same thing myself. Even if you do I hear you keep most of your VIP perks even if you dont keep paying the $10 a month. I'm probably going to go VIP this weekend. I would think you get access to at least some earlier ones with VIP and have to still pay for some of the newer ones. But again I'm trying to figure this out as well.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Content wise - I think yes unless something changed recently.

Other things - well there are quite a bit of things that are store exclusive that you can only get in store. Either cause they are only and only in store or that drop rate in game is like 0,001% and 100% drop rate in store if you buy them ;p

• skydiver12skydiver12 Member Posts: 432

1. Addon Mines of Moria

2. Addon Siege of Mirkwood

3. Addon Rise of Isengard

There is a mithril edition somewhere around which gives the best start if you are serious about lotro.

http://mithril.lotro.com/

Path of the Fellowship Bonus Quests

Forge your own legend in Middle-earth alongside Aragorn, Legolas, and Gandalf. From the Shire to Rivendell - adventure in a masterful recreation of Middle-earth! Includes the Trollshaws, Eregion, Mines of Moria, and Lothlórien.

Basically you get whole Eridaor region even when your sub run out and complete Moria with Lothlorien.

So to unlock everything you only need to additionaly purchase Siege of Mirkwood which could be avoided - you can skip whole Mirkwood if you like - and Rise of Isengard.

Sweet I think I'll buy that Mithril this weekend.

• VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723

The answer to your original question is yes - you would still have to buy Mines of Moria, Siege of Mirkwood and Rise of Isengard if you want full access to the content that came with those expansions.

That said, the store offers some flexibility so that you can buy a cheaper "quest pack" rather than the whole thing if you want to just quest in the areas that came in those expansions. I know for sure this is how Rise of Isengard is presented in the store, not entirely sure about the other two.

I think the Mithril Edition only includes the "Path of the Fellowship" quest pack (also available in the store) which is a bundle of the Trollshaws, Eregion, Moria and Lothlorien quest packs. It also gives you access to legendary items, skirmishes (from Siege of Mirkwood) and Monster Play.

So I think the Mithril Edition offers good value if those are the things you want - but if you want everything (including the dungeons and raids) you'll have to buy the expansions.

So if I buy the expansion packs I do not need to buy the quest packs, being that those quests are IN the expansions right? Makes things a lot cheaper then haha

Or are expansion quests and quest packs seperate quests entriely? 

• kostoslavkostoslav Member UncommonPosts: 455

mines of moria expansion pack = quests + warden class + rune master class

mines of moria quest pack = quests

if u purchase mithril edition u will get  :the path of the fellowship (mines of moria quest pack, trollshaws quest pack, eregion quest pack, lothlorien quest pack)

siedge of mirkwood is a quest pack only

rise of isnegard - u need to purchase instances and quests separately (all other quest packs include instances- dungeons & raids)

• ValmarillValmarill Member Posts: 21

Originally posted by krazysloth

So if I buy the expansion packs I do not need to buy the quest packs, being that those quests are IN the expansions right? Makes things a lot cheaper then haha

I have had a sub since I started playing. F2P is limiting and you end up spending more money over the course. When I purchased my expansions I bought Moria and then Lothlorien and Mirkwood. I can't remember the combination but two of those came together. They included all of the quests, instances, skirmishes and raids. 

When I bought RoI, I pre-purchased and got the Isengard expansion with the extra cosmetics, free horses, Derudh's experience stone (pocket item) and all of the content. This is no longer available. as was pointed out earlier, the Mithril edition is as close as you will come. 

So, the short answer to your question is "yes" if you are subbed and you buy the expansions, you get all of the content. At least, I did.

Ok I may or may not go VIP yet if I get Mithril. I'll most likely be getting Mithril this weekend, and with it the 2000TP. What should I spend the turbine points on to get the most out of the game?

You will probably want to decide whether or not to go VIP rather quickly. That or don't buy things that you will get for free if you think you ultimately will. 

When you go VIP you get 5 inventory bags instead of 3, Quick travels to certain (not all) locations you have visited open up, All of your trait slots are available (this is huge because traits are integral to resistance and all sorts of in game bonuses), the gold cap is unlocked, all of the non-expansion skirmishes are available (instead of just 2), mounts are much easier to purchase when you are VIP, and crafting guilds are available as well. Most of these things are unlockable in the store but it's more expensive and a pain to do all this seperately. 

Well I'm getting Mithril for my birthday. Might just see if I can get an extra $10 thrown in for the VIP lol. Regardless I would be getting VIP rather soon after. I think I would want to spend the 2000 on an expansion. Which should I puchase thats not part fof Mithril?

Well I'm getting Mithril for my birthday. Might just see if I can get an extra $10 thrown in for the VIP lol. Regardless I would be getting VIP rather soon after. I think I would want to spend the 2000 on an expansion. Which should I puchase thats not part fof Mithril?

Forge your own legend in Middle-earth alongside Aragorn, Legolas, and Gandalf. From the Shire to Rivendell - adventure in a masterful recreation of Middle-earth! Includes the Trollshaws, Eregion, Mines of Moria, and Lothlórien

Hmm ... my guess is that most of  the zones not included with the basic and premium packages (and not listed above) will still have to be purchased.

Here's a good list of what comes with different types of accounts: http://www.lotro.com/betasignup/vipchart.html

If you purchase anything in the store with actual money you go from free to Premium. VIP is recurring subscription.

All these expansions and quest packs are rather confusing haha

All these expansions and quest packs are rather confusing haha

Yeah, it is rather convoluted isn't it? haha